Switching from PS4 to PC : rig help

France
France
Hi

I have over 100+ hours of GT Sport, 50+ of PC2 and around 20+ of AC, a few hours on Dirt and F1 games
Currently on T300RS, FXX alcantara wheel, T3PA Pro cone mod - good enough for me, not into load cell for now, Playseat Revo
Massive 4K UHD TV, no triple monitor setup - I don't want to, but I'm interested in VR

PS4 Pro is ok (GT in HDR is gorgeous) but I want to dive into ACC, iRacing or rFactor, possibly HTC Vive too. Sadly ACC is not to be ported to PS4 - yet.

I'm looking for the best PC rig my budget can buy, that is, 1000EUR.
I find it quite hard to find a decent PC setup, that is, dedicated for sim.
Basically I want to run every game at max details, max FPS, I'm not sure I need 4 HDMI ports because my 4K tv is big enough, but I understand a secondary port is needed for VR

A few questions below:
- is a core i5 enough or should I really go into i7 ?
- is 16GB of RAM enough ?
- should I go for full SSD ? PS4 loading times are ok, but on PC I do not want to wait for loading times
- is a GTX 1080 mandatory or is a 1070 enough ? again, I'm not into triple monitors, but I need HDR10

Any advice ?
TY

Welcome to the do whatever you want side of gaming.

1) It depends on what i5 you're talking about, there are many models.
Example an i5/8600k @ 3.6 ghz/4.3 ghz turbo is great, an I5 7200U would not be good.

2) 16gb ram is plenty

3) All my sims are on HDD and load quick (except rFactor 2)
I only have windows 10, Fanatec control panel, crew chief and a few other small files like content launcher on my SSD.

4) I run a 1070ti, it will push 4K and VR all day.
1080/1080ti is very nice if you can afford but if I were building a new rig I would go with a 1070, the money you save will almost pay for the i5/i7 difference.

Edit...
This website is your best friend, not only does it have current pricing, you can build your PC from the motherboard up, select components and it will tell you if everything is compatible.

https://pcpartpicker.com/

Last edited:
Save what you can because you're just entering a world where theres no limitations high end hand brakes,shifters,dd wheels, pedals button boxes motion simulators you name it

It sounded like prebuilt to me, not sure.

Right now isn't a great time to buy at this budget - just missed out on decent Amazon discounts on SSDs (1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe and 2TB Crucial MX500 were my picks), geforce 2060 not yet available, and potential hassles with i5 9600K on motherboards that need an update to their BIOS (if self-build).

I slapped together a rough parts list (with a 1070 Ti) just to get an idea of prices these days: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KMX2GG
It would be difficult to get it much below £1300 while still being fine for VR (in ACC especially), but the 2060 might save 100 and some good deals might save another chunk. Corners could be cut but why risk a cheap power supply, and why not have a motherboard decent enough for a bit of overclocking since the 8600K/9600K are easy to do so. The 970 EVO might seem extravagant, but it is very very fast and 500GB is a decent size for a boot drive... skimping there is a false economy since the bang-for-buck is really quite good. All IMHO, of course :)

Last edited:
Prebuilt or self built ;)

Thanks for pcpartpicker. From what I've read, 2060 is not worth the price versus a 1070, 2060 sounds like a rebranded overclocked 1070.
Should I really get a 7200RPM ? Nowadays I thought a single SSD was enough, and yes Amazon has regular discounts.
I'm not sure I need more than 500GB, I already have a few USB spare RPM drives around.

Prebuilt or self built ;)

Thanks for pcpartpicker. From what I've read, 2060 is not worth the price versus a 1070, 2060 sounds like a rebranded overclocked 1070.
Should I really get a 7200RPM ? Nowadays I thought a single SSD was enough, and yes Amazon has regular discounts.
I'm not sure I need more than 500GB, I already have a few USB spare RPM drives around.

Storage, I dunno... just my Steam folders are up to 420GB already and I built this PC less than a year ago! It would of course be trivial to add a second drive later if you needed it though.

I reckon the 1070 Ti is/was worth it over the 1070. The 2060 apparently performs about the same as the 1070 Ti, and might cost less. Looking at the specs it has the same number of cores as the 1070, not the Ti, but its memory bandwidth is a lot higher at 14 Gbps vs 8 Gbps - that's even more than a 1080 Ti which has 11 Gbps. A downside might be the 6GB RAM compared to 8GB. Anyway, I think it's worth waiting to see what price they can actually be bought for when it becomes available.

Back