Nvidia Turing Graphics Cards (Quadro RTX and GeForce RTX)

Depends on the number of paths - it might pick up an environment reflection map at that point.

Cutting edge systems increase density in the area that the eye is looking at. Expensive though.
Are you talking about the new tech in the rift 2 dev kit? Accufocus or something like that? My understanding is that it adjusts lighting and focus depending on where you look. It would be kinda hard to adjust pixel density like that I think and I could imagine the hurdles of trying to sync so many pixels as they moved i still a manner that wouldnt create a noticeable ripple.

I wonder if real time ray tracing is going to be 'the thing' for next generation consoles. I'm not sure what else is really marketable.

PSX - 3D yo!
PS2 - DVD!
PS3 - HD baby!
PS4 - 4k!!!!! VR!!!!!
PS5 - RTX!!!!
PS6 - ???
PS7 - REAL LIFE!!!
PS8 - holodeck

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...eliver-60-fps-with-rtx-dlss-enabled-on-1080p/

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2060-VideoCardz.jpg

Here's the RTX 2060. It'll be $350 that aims for 1080p 60 fps ray tracing. It's supposed to be faster than the 1070Ti.

Actual performance figures:

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2060-1080p-Gaming-Performance-Benchmarks.png

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2060-1440p-Gaming-Performance-Benchmarks.png

Also, supposedly, there's going to be a GTX 1160. It'll be similar to the 2060, but without the ray tracing cores and less CUDA cores.

Can’t say I’m too fond of the idea of NVIDIA hedging their raytracing bets with new non-RT cards.

Nvidia is looking pretty weak at the moment, yet AMD is completely failing to capitalise - I get that they can't rush out a huge new product or anything but I haven't heard anything from them apart from the usual "next big thing" being "right around the corner" that's going to "change the game", just like their last three GPU architectures that completely failed to put a dent in Nvidia's momentum.

It's just a shame that it's taken Nvidia shooting themselves in both feet with a shotgun of incompetence to make them look like maybe they aren't unstoppable after all, rather than AMD coming up with a competitive 4k/60Hz capable card. Maybe they have by now but last I heard, the best they could do was a GTX 1070 rival and I feel like I would've heard about it by now.

Well, if I could get the 2060 with 350€ here with that performance, I would say not bad at all. But most likely it will be 399€ at the very minimum.

So the RTX 2060 has been officially announced.

upload_2019-1-7_0-8-17.png

upload_2019-1-7_0-7-40.png

upload_2019-1-7_0-9-30.png

Other announcements:

A-Sync monitors that have been tested by Nvidia and those that pass their tests are now "G-Sync certified". New drivers will effectively make them G-Sync monitors.

The new Turing GPUs will now be optimized with all these different things

upload_2019-1-7_0-27-30.png

RTX and RTX Max-Q laptops!!

upload_2019-1-7_0-29-34.png

upload_2019-1-7_0-32-55.png

upload_2019-1-7_0-35-52.png

I have no idea how AMD will be able to compete this generation :lol:

Last edited:
So the RTX 2060 has been officially announced.

View attachment 790984

View attachment 790983

View attachment 790985

Other announcements:

A-Sync monitors that have been tested by Nvidia and those that pass their tests are now "G-Sync certified". New drivers will effectively make them G-Sync monitors.

The new Turing GPUs will now be optimized with all these different things

View attachment 790986

RTX and RTX Max-Q laptops!!

View attachment 790988

View attachment 790989

View attachment 790990

I have no idea how AMD will be able to compete this generation :lol:

Well, if the rumors are close to true, amd will bring 1080 performance at 250$. Aiming for the mid-high tier where the biggest volumes are.

That would be... pretty damn good competition. :)

So would this card be something of a good example to change my GTX780 out for?

I have a pretty old system by now, so no idea if it's even worth the $350, but still runs everything pretty high.

Intel core i5 4670k GPU, with 8Gb of DDR3 RAM on a Maximus VII Gene ASUS motherboard.

A bunch of Youtubers have uploaded their videos discussing the card.

[language warning for the next video]

Here's some more detailed analysis of the card

So would this card be something of a good example to change my GTX780 out for?

I have a pretty old system by now, so no idea if it's even worth the $350, but still runs everything pretty high.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/graphicscardcomparison

According to that chart, your GTX 780 has about the same relative performance as a GTX 970. And then according to the next chart, the GTX 970 gets about 51 fps in F1 2018 at 1440p Ultra-High while the RTX 2060 gets about 93 fps (and 114 fps when overclocked). At $350, you get performance better than a GTX 1070Ti (and better than a GTX 1080 when overclocked) for much less than those cards, I think, yes it's a good value. But at that point, your i5 4670K might become a bottleneck

rtx-2060-f1-18-1440p.png

@ProjectWHaT Cheers! I'm still on a 1080p setup, I'd like the idea switching to a bigger monitor and go 1440p, but so far I've seemed to be happy with 1080p. Although, when I first experience 1440p with a bigger monitor, I'll probably change my mind :lol:

@Bram Turismo I went from a Dell U2312M 23" 1080p 60Hz monitor to an Asus PG279Q, and of the raft of improvements (27", 1440p, 144Hz and G-Sync), G-Sync was by far the biggest benefit in my opinion followed closely by the high refresh rate. The pixel density wasn't a huge improvement so while it was nice to have a bigger monitor, it didn't really look any sharper than the old screen.

For that reason I'd recommend either upgrading to something with a higher pixel density (for a sharper image) or with a high refresh rate and adaptive sync - Nvidia drivers now support a small number of Freesync monitors so you don't have to get a G-Sync one (the hardware for G-Sync adds a couple of hundred currency to the price of a monitor!) any more.

Then when you've found the monitor you want, look up benchmarks and buy a graphics card based on that. Almost anything available today will perform better than your 780, I replaced a 680 with a 960 and found the performance to be the same in most games and occasionally a bit better. Bearing in mind there was never an 800 series and the 770 was a rebadged 680 with a memory overclock, the jump for you to go from a 780 to 2060 is a lot bigger than from a 680 to 960.

Here's an in depth comparison of input delay between AMD Freesync vs G-Sync Compatible.

The main takeaway was that, without G-Sync Compatible on, the Nvidia GPU produced more input delay than a similar AMD GPU which is very strange. But when G-Sync Compatible was on, the input delay was about equal to an AMD GPU with Freesync enabled.

GTX 1660 Ti officially released!

MSRP of $279 with performance basically the same as the GTX 1070.

upload_2019-2-22_14-50-26.png

It uses the new TU116 core which is basically the TU106 but without the ray tracing or the tensor cores.

Here's a FPS comparison between a bunch of GPUs running F1 2018 at Ultra High at 1080p.

f1-2018-1080p_1660ti-review.png

The main problem with this card, according to the videos, is the pricing. For $279, the only 1660 Tis you can get are single fan cards. You'll need to pay $300+ for a dual fan 1660 Ti. But at that point, you might as well spend a bit more to get the RTX 2060 for better performance and the ray tracing and tensor cores.

On the other hand, one version of the Vega 56 has its price dropped to $250. Which means you could get the same performance as the 1660 Ti but for $30 less, although good luck finding that specific card since it seems to have basically sold out immediately and it doesn't seem to be a permanent price drop considering the cost of the memory chips it uses.

EDIT:
https://www.newegg.com/GraphicsCardsPromoStore/EventSaleStore/ID-506

I just checked Newegg and there's a few dual fan cards around MSRP, below $300. So those could be quite nice. But for me, I think stretching for the RTX cards would probably be better for future-proofing even though ray tracing and DLSS is very poorly implemented right now. But those are both software features which should improve over time. However, obviously, it's best not to make a purchase decision based on future promises.

Last edited:
Showcase of Quack II with ray tracing. Also, he poses an interesting theory about how AMD's weak GPUs caused Nvidia to launch ray tracing this early. However, with AMD announcing Navi very soon, it'll be interesting to see what they are doing in response to RTX.

In addition, a ray tracing shaders mod for Minecraft was released recently and it looks stunning! It honestly really makes me want to get a RTX card and play it :lol:

Is there any news about news GTX cards? I'm not talking about the GTX 1660Ti but more powerful GTX cards.

Is there any news about news GTX cards? I'm not talking about the GTX 1660Ti but more powerful GTX cards.
If memory serves, the either was, or is going to be an update unlocking ray tracing. I'm guessing is already out as Linus Tech Tips already has a video out about it. In the end, while the 1080 ti worked, it struggled.something like Minecraft would probably play alright. In fact, I may give it a go just because using my 1070. But, dont expect a solid gaming experience from most other games with anything in the RTX range.

The RTX 2060 Super, RTX 2070 Super, and RTX 2080 Super cards have been revealed. The 2060S will cost $399 ($50 more than the regular 2060) and the 2070S will cost $499 (same as the 2070). They will both be available on July 9th (the AMD RX 5700 and RX 5700XT goes on sale two days before). The 2080S will cost $699 (same as the 2080) and will be available on July 23rd. The Super variants will replace the non-Super cards except for the 2060 which will still be available as the "budget" ray tracing card. Each Super card appears to be a cut down version of the non-Super card above it. For example the 2060S has 8 GB of VRAM, same as the 2070. Based on the numbers and benchmarks, these cards sit above their non-Super counterparts but still below the non-Super card above.

upload_2019-7-2_12-52-5.png

(https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...line-super-gpus-add-performance-at-same-msrp/)

Here are some benchmarks from Gamers Nexus.
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3486-nvidia-rtx-2060-super-and-2070-super-review-benchmarks

gta-v-1080p_2060-2070-super-review.png

f1-18_1080p-super-review.png

It appears this is Nvidia reacting to AMD's Navi launch. These cards are designed to perform like the non-Super card above but at a lower price. This basically kills the RX 5700 and RX 5700XT before they're even on ale. They appear to perform around the 2060 and around the same price. But now the 2060S is $20 more than the RX 5700 for performance like a 2070. However benchmarks for the AMD cards aren't out yet so this is all speculation as to how they will perform. But if it's true that they perform near the 2060, then AMD will need to lower prices to stay competitive.

upload_2019-7-2_12-55-49.png

AMD has officially dropped the prices for their Navi GPUs.

Here's what the prices look like now:

upload_2019-7-5_22-59-21.png

It appears this was AMD's plan all along, because the CVP and GM of AMD Radeon Scott Herkelman tweeted this:

AMD seemed have purposefully announced Navi at a higher price point to bait Nvidia into launching their Super line up at the same price point so that AMD could then lower their prices to undercut them. :lol:

But we will still need to wait and see what kind of performance these Navi cards will do.

Back