TAG Heuer Branding Disappears From Gran Turismo Sport

Sad if you ask me.

I remember my indifference when Tag Heuer was announced as the 'official watch and time keeper'.

As a GT fan of over fifteen years, it's becoming a bit depressing to follow the gtplanet news articles, especially since they started covering other racing games. Perhaps it's my 'grass is greener' mindset, but whilst other games seem to release the latest and most sought after cars, and incorporate interesting and innovative game mechanics such as the season cycle in Forza Horizon, PD appears to be stuck trying to tie down the best 'official watch and time keeper, or official FIA accreditation. News articles relating to GT Sport tend to be about updated time trials, updated daily races, gtplanet photo or livery competitions, or random corporate partnerships that have no bearing on content or gameplay, and that's going right from its release. We were all excited about the mileage store, but it feels like they gave up on doing anything interesting with that practically from the moment the game was released.

It doesn't feel as if their heart is in creating the most exciting game any more.
I don't consider GTS as one of the racing games. To me it's more of a car appreciation culture. With online racing features.

Today we lost Heuer advertising but gained a Gr. 3 Mazda. Mazda wins.

Just my opinion but I think it's a poor move by Heuer. They get more targeted exposure, especially in Asia by association with GT than the outdated "official" image they are trying to create.

47437EF2-ED98-47FD-BD31-AC38B9AE1FE6.png
Hopefully we get a update that includes thousandths or millionths.

Welp, a majority of my liveries use a TAG Heuer decal, I guess those have been removed.

Welp, a majority of my liveries use a TAG Heuer decal, I guess those have been removed.

The liveries will be fine.
Unfortunately it looks like you won't be able to make anymore.

I was wondering, with TH sponsoring Formula E (rFactor2) and Red Bull Racing (Formula 1 2019)
if there was going to be some fallout down the line from all these sim racing allegiences cropping up in 2020.

Maybe this is part of it.

Retweeted by TH

Retweeted by TH

Retweeted by TH

But the difference is all the Heuer content is all gone. Even on a historical basis it would be nice if it was still accessible somehow and I dont even like Heuer.

Disappearing content, without notice, even if its poor content (IMO lol) isnt something that people are accustomed to.
PS2 days Rolex content isnt gone because those days isn't exactly a day of downloading patches.

PS3 days contents isn't gone because it ingrained so much into the game in form of track (Top Gear), Car (Formula 1), and full feature (MoTEC). So instead PD will implement the new license term on the next game, like those first two being removed in GT6 and last being removed in GTSport.

Tag Heuer is literally advertising. It only gives cosmetic and UI things to the game. Removing one brand central, admittedly cool sport waiting UI, and some logo isn't exactly the same as removing entire Car, Track, and Features. And I think it's already being known and agreed by both the licensee and PD.

I personally have a Citizen Eco-Drive Satellite Wave that my parents bought me in the Caribbean. It's quite nice.

I bought a new Citizen Corso last year. It's my first Citizen brand watch. It's the most expensive watch I've bought that wasn't a smart watch. It also just tells time & recharges through any light source that shines on it. And it just looks dignified, without being gaudy.

The fact that the new loading screen looks rushed suggests that GTS did not prepare or expect this to happen.

I do believe CV19 had a role to play in this.

I was tagged this story from Facebook, I know it’s secondhand news but I only just clocked it.
Amazed as they seemed such an integral part of the game. I wonder if PD just thought it was time for a change or if time was up on the contract. I guess we just watch what comes next time.
Peace.

Correct they do make a decent watch and have some real classics. Not as overpriced as Rolex. But interestingly the TAG 1887 chronograph movement is a Seiko movement.

I've had 100s of watches from nearly every brand including microbrands. Would love to see Citizen as a sponsor. They do make the most accurate quartz watch in the world after all.

Wearing my Seiko Tuna right now but prefer Citizen over all as a company.

Au contraire. TAG-Heuer watches are actually top notch. I owned one. Never missed a beat. Best watch I ever owned and really miss it.

Anyhoo... Kinda sad to see TAG go and no replacement? But I would understand if TAG pulled out because of the negativity surrounding PD at the moment. Were TAG also part of the penalty system XD

Last edited:
Pretty sure the Renault Nissan alliance are one of the biggest sponsors. If not then PD sure are doing them a free service!

But the difference is all the Heuer content is all gone. Even on a historical basis it would be nice if it was still accessible somehow and I dont even like Heuer.

Disappearing content, without notice, even if its poor content (IMO lol) isnt something that people are accustomed to.
Let’s not forget. The major reason driving games go out of print and removed from digital stores is expired licenses.

GTS will remain a major seller for at least a couple of years on PS4. That’s before considering PS5 Backwards Compatibility. Until GT7 arrives Sony will want to keep selling GTS on PSN.

Keeping GTS upto date in terms of licenses also opens up the possibility of a PS+ release. No better way to boost user numbers and promote GT7.

IMHO, timepiece sponsorization is more of a one way street benefit to the timemaker.... not so much for Sony and the players except for the gifts being given by the timemaker.

Right now given the financial crisis and world circumstance, i believe the retraction from TagHeuer is mainly due to their inability / unwillingness to support any further something that they dont see as valuable for them anymore...

The number of players jumping on to buy TagHeuer watches due to sponsorship is probably very low.

I personally dont care if there is any and which timemaker is the sponsor with GT... because i think time can be kept track with high accuracy no matter who the timepiece sponsor, if any at all... the computer does that best.

Sponsorship for timemaker in any live event is the same... It's only for the survival of the timemaker... nothing else.

If TagHeuer retracts themselves, then it only means that they see more value for them to no longer be part of the GT environment...

More sponsor is better sure, but not necessarily needed.

Last edited:
The Lap Timer Noise has gone... was this really a TAG Heur Official Sound that has gone away with the Sponsor? It’s really off putting not knowing what lap I’ve started when I’m focusing on an Apex, I’m hoping it’s just a bug that’ll get fixed as it’s just silent now when finishing laps...

Latest Posts

Back