Taking in questions for Forza 5 interview at Gamescom!

• Thread starter radarhead
  • 41 comments
United Kingdom
manchester
Hello everyone,

I am a presenter on the GameOverCast team a weekly enthusiast video gaming podcast.

We are going to Gamescom next week and are lucky enough to get to see, and get to chat to the Devs for Forza 5.

I have personally lost hundreds of hours to Forza 4(hell we even have a podcast league running right now) and have lots of questions lined up but would love to ask some directly from the fans. If you have anything you would like us to ask please could you post them in this thread and we will do our best to ask as many of them as we can.

I will post a link to the podcast and the time where we feature the game once we get back, we will be seeing over 40 games so it may take a few shows before we feature all of them.

If you guys fancy checking out the show, we have just put up our Pre-Gamescom special, probably worth listening too. Check it out here

Let me know what you want to know!

Can you ask them to implement a standard lap split system? A split system just like in Gran Turismo where it marks your time from A to B instead of how far ahead or behind you are from your best lap. I know they tried to 'think ahead' on that, but somethings don't need 'improving'.

For example, I start a lap and the first split marker is 21.225 seconds, then the second split marker is 55.267 seconds and I get a lap time of 1:14.558. Now for the second lap, I need to see that my split time was 21.025, slightly faster, and NOT SHOW -0.2, which doesn't help when comparing lap times in offline mode.

I'm 100% positive they will throw this to the curb since their M.O. is to not be Gran Turismo, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks in advance.

Jerome

Hmm...I'd like to dump the pumped up elevator music they've given us and would love the ability to play my own audio files...if that's possible. I'm new to Forza and Xbox in general but I sure loved my own stuff on Gran Turismo.

Uhh, gamescom isn't really a suggestion box. By now the game is probably pretty well locked down.

I would like to hear more about unicorns (if there are any, and if so how many and if there's new ways to earn them?) and also about what dlc will be like (or when more news about that can be expected).

Awesome i will be looking out for it.

1 Can you ask them if will will implement the offline leaderboards on every track in Arcade mode like in FM2.

2 Also ask them if we will finally get some kind of garage like in the PGR series for multiple cars. That would be great imo.

3 Ask if the Mclaren p1 will have working DRS and Kersboost or whatever it's called on its steering wheel.

4 Will they feature more modern F1 cars?

5 Ask them if they finnaly got rid of the stock Forza rear spoiler or at least give us more variation or options.

Thanks mate.

Hmm...I'd like to dump the pumped up elevator music they've given us and would love the ability to play my own audio files...if that's possible. I'm new to Forza and Xbox in general but I sure loved my own stuff on Gran Turismo.

You can do that on every game.

I'd like to hear more about how they've designed the single player career mode this time around, and any more interesting event types outside of normal racing. I'm thinking along the lines of FM4s passing challenges, rivals, autocross and so on. Are there new things of that sort in FM5?

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before as I sure haven't found anything but I'd really like to know what kind of wheel support Forza 5 will get.

Ask if they are simulating gearboxes any differently than they did in the past or if they are still using a generic transmission for all cars?

Can we confirm if all real world tracks that are included in the game are laser scanned? Or are some done with the old methods? Plus what tracks will be included?

Will there be more tuning options, like high and low speed damping settings? What improvements have been made to the suspension modeling?

That's already possible on Xbox mate.

Tuning -

Will it be limited to pre-set tunes that need to be saved before hand, or will we be able to tune before races (both online and offline)?

Will road cars still be very limited compared to race cars? Especially in terms of aerodynamics where we only had a handful of downforce available? For example, if I want a 1200 lb downforce wing on a 900 hp AWD Focus, can I do it?

Speaking of 1200 lbs of downforce, will FM5 tell us what speed that will available at? In FM4 it's a mystery that takes guesswork. This is also present in transmission tuning since the powerband is only visible in the tuning shop. It needs to be visible in the transmission set up page in a clear and functional graph along with peak power and the RPM range for each gear.

Can we also see what can be tuned for each car ahead of time? Example in FM4 I wanted a RWD Cobalt, but there was no option. I could only find out by buying the car.

Will FM5 reveal car center of gravity and weight on each wheel?

Will we be able to detune cars with an engine restrictor, weight ballast, etc?
Racing -

Qualification. Necessary for online and offline. Will this be in the game?

Can we expect a more serious damage and repair model suitable for endurance racing? In FM4 all pit stops took about the same time and for some reason engine replacement was extremely easy but if you lost aero that was not fixed. The latter should be much easier to repair (depending on damage).

Will tire wear and fuel use be important?​

Gameplay -

Will Forza make accommodations to players who just want to play? Does Turn 10 realize that they physics and cars alone are enough to hold people's interests and that a career mode is not always necessary or even desirable? FM4 was a good sim, but even to this day I haven't been able to make the most of it because of career mode.

Car classes - Will the game make it difficult to race outside of designated A, B, C, etc classes? Part of this goes into the tuning options I mentioned above. But another part is game structure. Every offline race is class rated, even in one where it doesn't really make sense like manufacturer races or ALMS replica races. It would be more interesting to have other restrictions like stock only or X, Y, Z parts only, or horsepower and weight or real race rules (for real races) or some combination of those with PI.​

Did they change the clutch system?
The advantage of manual clutch is currently way too big.

Can you export videos and photos locally?
Uploading and downloading 20MB big shots is no fun and people should be able to get their own photos without XBL Gold.

Will we ever see System Link again?

Will the car list be more balanced this time, seeing how some brands didn't get much respect with one being TVR for instance. Also would a balanced manufacture list, mean there is less model years for some brands. | Example: Mustang - Ford, Saleen, Shelby

Last edited:
Ha! just at the time. :)

And now for something completely different my question:

Why the game sales and the development cost are always kept hidden and are not publically given? How good were the FM4 sales? Can you speak about development costs? How much is the cost to develop FM5?

I don't think that anyone has asked him that before and would make a nice debate because often becomes a discussed topic and no one knows it. Anyway I'm not sure if he will answer straight to that or if he's allowed to release that data. But surely you will catch him off guard with this. :P

• Have any improvements been made to the drag racing aspect of the game?
  • Can races against the A.I. be setup offline?

Are unicorns finally gone? I never liked this feature, don't hide cars from the paying consumer. If people want to participate in community events, fine, some don't.

Hey guys, sorry for how long its taken to come back to you!

We had a great interview with Dan Greenawalt.

We cover subjects such as:
-Split screen options
-Credit gain
-Painting customization
-Unicorn cars
-Career progression
-Tire tech
-Tire makes
-Track scanning
And mucho mucho more.

Apologies for the odd bass during the interview, tried my best to edit it out.

You can download it directly from the site here and click on the episode 157.
Or you can get it from I-tunes here.

Also we announce a competition to win a PC copy of Saints Row 4, and a chance to win a Tritton Headset, so stick around and listen to the whole show :)!

The interview starts at 52 minutes in.

They were, however the Mod seems to be processing my link to the interview. Here is a hint the podcast is on Gameovercast, just google gameovercast and its episode 157 :). Interview is at 52 minutes.

The bit about modeling the stock dimensions for each car is pretty cool, rather than just rounding them up or down to the nearest option in game.

And with the Kinect headtracking being better I might actually have a reason to not just throw it in a drawer.

Well that sucks about the tracks. For those that didn't listen, Dan said that tracks in FM5 will be a blend of laser-scanned and old-school-scanned. Don't get your hopes up for The Ring...

Well that sucks about the tracks. For those that didn't listen, Dan said that tracks in FM5 will be a blend of laser-scanned and old-school-scanned. Don't get your hopes up for The Ring...

The GT5 Ring isn't laser scanned and it's pretty good. The pCARS Ring isn't laser scanned and it's pretty good. A perfectly acceptable model can be made without laser scanning.

Assuming that they put some effort into prettying up the graphics for it, which is not a terribly unreasonable assumption, there's no reason they wouldn't modify the track itself while they're at it. They must know that it's not right.

If they laser scan the track surface and "old school" the environment, that would be fine.

Unfortunately it seems T10 has just pulled a massive bait and switch on us by claiming all tracks are laser scanned to sub 6mm accuracy and now they are only partly scanned or not scanned at all if T10 were "happy" with them.

I thought he said the only tracks being brought over from FM4 were the ones that were made using their experimental laser scanning rigs? The Nurburgring was exactly the same as it was in FM3, IIRC, so it's at least implied that it was scanned in for FM5.

If they laser scan the track surface and "old school" the environment, that would be fine.

Unfortunately it seems T10 has just pulled a massive bait and switch on us by claiming all tracks are laser scanned to sub 6mm accuracy and now they are only partly scanned or not scanned at all if T10 were "happy" with them.

It still sounds like all of the tracks are laser scanned, just that some of the tracks were laser scanned using a less consistent and more experimental method.

Though I'm tired right now, so I could be confused.

Link: http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/6227727.aspx

Scroll down for the transcript.

My question got answered, happy to see unicorns gone!
RH: Are unicorn cars going to be making another appearance in Forza 5?
DG: No, there aren't any unicorn cars in the game, and yet every car is a unicorn car in a sense honestly there are cars that are very expensive in the game and to afford them you actually have to do a lot of racing

RH: So it's price based
DG: Yeah, it's a completely open game.

Back