Taking The Jump From Bridge To DSLR, But Which Camera?

• Thread starter Katiegan
  • 33 comments
As someone who just purchased the D3200 less than four months ago, and with just over 3,000 pictures taken, I'd have to say that it is probably the best starter camera, with the kit lenses I received as well. I looked at the D5200 when comparing the two and the main reason I chose the 3200 was price. I don't think I'd ever use the tilty-flipy screen, even at 5'5", I can still see the screen above some cross-overs (small SUV's) just to put that into perspective.

Absolutely... although I waited for the release of the 3200 then went back and bought the 3100. Both are great cameras but I preferred the feeling of the 3100 in my hand and didn't personally have a need for the improved spec.

Last edited:
In Nikon's lenses, AF-S means it has a motor in the lens, AF probably doesn't.

Nikon's first AF cameras, back in the film days, were motorized from the body, not the lenses, which was touted as a cost factor compared to Minolta and Canon. There is obviously a certain expense in motorizing every lens, but it turns out that those respond better and focus faster, and nikon has moved that direction with their digital SLRs. The higher bodies (i.e. not 3xxx and 5xxx) have the in-body motor so they can use non-motorized lenses. I think the D90 has that, too.

In Nikon's lenses, AF-S means it has a motor in the lens, AF probably doesn't.

Nikon's first AF cameras, back in the film days, were motorized from the body, not the lenses, which was touted as a cost factor compared to Minolta and Canon. There is obviously a certain expense in motorizing every lens, but it turns out that those respond better and focus faster, and nikon has moved that direction with their digital SLRs. The higher bodies (i.e. not 3xxx and 5xxx) have the in-body motor so they can use non-motorized lenses. I think the D90 has that, too.

In my experience, not having autofocus motor in the body is such a big downside I wouldn't even think of owning a body without it.

I've only tried to use one lens that required it for AF when I had my D5000, and was stuck with manual focus. Nearly all of the current lenses are AF-S, but the lack of body motor does limit what's useful to you in the years' worth of legacy AF lenses.

Back