Taking US PS3 to Europe

• Thread starter cjr3559
  • 7 comments

cjr3559

Premium
United States
Ohio
cjr3559
I've been doing research on taking my PS3 to Portugal while I'm away working for 5-6 weeks. They will have an LCD TV. Other than an adaptor to fit the Schuko plugs, are there any other things I should be concerned about? I will be playing NTSC games.

Thought I would check with this community (since it's the best). Anyone ever bring a US PS3 abroad?

Other than adaptor, the only concern would be voltage rating. If you look at the base of the PS3 there should be a little sticker that states what its rated at. If it says 110V-240V then you should be fine.

The PS3 is region free and so are most modern LCD TV's so you shouldn't run into any difficulties playing your existing games or playing ones from the EU.

As already said just check what voltages are stated on the PS3, I'm not sure which model yours is but some PS3's were dual voltage and some weren't. When you say you have an adaptor do you mean a voltage converter or just something which changes the shape of the plug?

The PS3 is region free and so are most modern LCD TV's so you shouldn't run into any difficulties playing your existing games or playing ones from the EU.

As already said just check what voltages are stated on the PS3, I'm not sure which model yours is but some PS3's were dual voltage and some weren't. When you say you have an adaptor do you mean a voltage converter or just something which changes the shape of the plug?

Right now I just have an adaptor, not a voltage converter. A converter sounds like a safe way to go.

I've got a 3-year old 500GB slim but haven't checked the unit's voltage yet. I'll take a look momentarily.

EDIT: my PS3 is a super slim model.

Last edited:
My CECH-2502B(320GB Silm) shows 220-240VAC 50/60Hz @ 1A.
But if it shows something like 110-240VAC 50/60Hz @2A you should just need a EU C13 cable.

I've been in Portugal for 4 weeks now, been using a Bestek voltage converter. Absolutely no problems.

Haven't played GT6 since I miss my wheel/rig. All my time has been playing RDR. Finally getting around to playing this magnificent game. 👍

I think rocas comment should be deleted, I hate to see someone use that advice and destroy their console.

Back