TC, who uses it in online racing and what's your opinion on it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Threshold
  • 57 comments
  • 3,717 views
Messages
225
Messages
Brakefade
I for one use it in Suzuka 750PP with the S2K. I can run a faster lap without it, but for online racing with all the people pushing your car around it works great. It not only saves me from someone doing a pit maneuver on me, but I can also turn in more consistent laps with it. I know some people aren't very fond of it, and some even consider it cheating, but honestly if you're not using every advantage given to you, that's kinda not living up to the racing spirit. And if you consider TC cheating, than maybe you should turn off ABS, which I know no one does.

BTW I have TC set at 8, anything less than 7 is a spin-out saver only IMO. At the higher numbers it really does become an advantage.
 
Actually I turn off ABS too....

I find that driver aids in GT5p bother me less. I still don't use them generally but the physic engine is getting better and better and you can still have challenging and "realistic" driving with aids on now. That wasn't the case in GT1/GT2 and even with some cars in GT3 (which is where the majority of people probably picked up the "no driver aids mentality"). Some cars in the game now, to get the most "realistic" driving experience require driver aids. The GTR and Evo X come to mind. Those computers on wheels use every bit of technology in real life, so turning all that off in the game seems odd (but it's also why I don't use either car).

Generally I stick to all aids off, including ABS, and N or S tires. I did that in GT4 too (sans ABS). I find that the most fun and now that we can race online when I beat people in GTRs who I know have ever aid on it makes me smile.

In my mind, if it's true to the car in real life, run with it. Otherwise, leave them off.
 
This is more of a "please dont say i'm an amateur" threads, isn't it?

Well, put it this way, if TCS is there to use, why not use it? Its purely your choice to use it and it depends on player skill whether it helps or not.
TCS slows you down if you're good with throttle control/have a decent wheel, but if you can't control the throttle well with the more powerful cars, then its much faster to use it than mess about with spinning wheels.
Also, some cars almost require TCS to even think about driving below 3rd gear. Maybe not so much in Prologue, but I remember the TVR Speed 12 having rediculous wheel spin problems because of its power to weight ratio.
 
I never use TC, but I don't mind at all if others do.
 
I just don't use it because i like the raw feeling of the car, no electronic gizmo taking any part of the experience away from me.
 
I just don't use it because i like the raw feeling of the car, no electronic gizmo taking any part of the experience away from me.

But when you are driving a car that is nothing but an electronic gizmo (i.e. GTR, Evo X) it seems silly to turn them off...in game or real life.
 
This is more of a "please dont say i'm an amateur" threads, isn't it?

Well, put it this way, if TCS is there to use, why not use it? Its purely your choice to use it and it depends on player skill whether it helps or not.
TCS slows you down if you're good with throttle control/have a decent wheel, but if you can't control the throttle well with the more powerful cars, then its much faster to use it than mess about with spinning wheels.
Also, some cars almost require TCS to even think about driving below 3rd gear. Maybe not so much in Prologue, but I remember the TVR Speed 12 having rediculous wheel spin problems because of its power to weight ratio.

Not really, I was hoping it would be more of a "don't be afraid to use it" thread. I see a lot of good racers spinning out or getting spun out by others, and I just wonder why they don't tinker with it. I mean F1 racers used it until last year, and the F430 in real life is designed around TC (slicks will confuse the computer). Racing is about getting every advantage you can mustard.
 
I dont use TC in the 750PP classes. But I find I need it now in the 600PP, so it's set to 1 for then; the NSX and Clio are just too much on S2 tires without TC.
 
Not really, I was hoping it would be more of a "don't be afraid to use it" thread. I see a lot of good racers spinning out or getting spun out by others, and I just wonder why they don't tinker with it. I mean F1 racers used it until last year, and the F430 in real life is designed around TC (slicks will confuse the computer). Racing is about getting every advantage you can mustard.


See the f430 is another good example. Yes, it is built around TC and all the fancy F1 inspire technology. However you can also turn all that off and get a raw Ferrari experience. So it's a good example of a car that can go either way in GT5p. I generally drive it will all aids off but have raced it with TC/ASM/ABS on. It's great eitherway.
 
Not really, I was hoping it would be more of a "don't be afraid to use it" thread. I see a lot of good racers spinning out or getting spun out by others, and I just wonder why they don't tinker with it. I mean F1 racers used it until last year, and the F430 in real life is designed around TC (slicks will confuse the computer). Racing is about getting every advantage you can mustard.

True, but a lot of us prefer having more control over the vehicle. TCS, although helping with throttle control, takes away too much to be of an advantage. It takes all the feel out of the car, because as soon as you lose grip, it cuts the throttle, so you never really get a proper feel for the car's character.
ABS is mostly an advantage, but TCS is not, its more of a hinderence than anything. Its only use is like I said before, for the more rediculous power to weight ratios and for pad users/rookies.
 
I just don't use it because i like the raw feeling of the car, no electronic gizmo taking any part of the experience away from me.

Heck, who doesn't, but racing and driving around a road course for fun are two totally different things. Racing is about winning. Whether the car feels good or not is irrelevant, the lap times tell the true story.
 
i only use it on the f1 car because its wild! couldnt control those 600 or so stallions without it
 
True, but a lot of us prefer having more control over the vehicle. TCS, although helping with throttle control, takes away too much to be of an advantage. It takes all the feel out of the car, because as soon as you lose grip, it cuts the throttle, so you never really get a proper feel for the car's character.
ABS is mostly an advantage, but TCS is not, its more of a hinderence than anything. Its only use is like I said before, for the more rediculous power to weight ratios and for pad users/rookies.

Well I like to use it at 8. Without it TC, and in the free run practice at Suzuka 750PP, I can set lap times between 2:02 to 2:04, and every few laps I'll bust a 2:01. With TC I can get 2:02 on almost every lap.
 
most of today's cars that came with tcs have a switch to turn it on/off
I never run with it even onlineand dont mind if someone else run with it or not
maybe it help you not to spun out, but loosing control of your car in a curve is part of racing
 
It's on the car for a reason, if the race allows it why not. Of course TC with a controller is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth IMO. Going into the sand with TC on, you may as well just park it....:crazy: You ain't going nowhere.
 
But when you are driving a car that is nothing but an electronic gizmo (i.e. GTR, Evo X) it seems silly to turn them off...in game or real life.

Two cars i don't use, i use RWD cars 95% of the time and throw in my Evo IX/Tuned every so often when im lazy. I've learnt to master the throttle so i don't need TCS to be consistent.

As for racing and just driving, as far as im concerned racing is driving the same car faster and harder. TCS slows you down we all know that, thats another reason i won't use it besides the fact it takes away control from me.
 
I've been tempted to use TC off the the start line on suzuka with the n3 tyre limit because I just get wheel spin, other than that never use it.
 
Two cars i don't use, i use RWD cars 95% of the time and throw in my Evo IX/Tuned every so often when im lazy. I've learnt to master the throttle so i don't need TCS to be consistent.

As for racing and just driving, as far as im concerned racing is driving the same car faster and harder. TCS slows you down we all know that, thats another reason i won't use it besides the fact it takes away control from me.

We agree here. I was simply illustrating a point.
 
We agree here. I was simply illustrating a point.

I know, i meant no bad against you :) Your point was perfectly relevant, but not to me personally.
 
I'll use it "on the fly" during online races toward the last lap when the grip begins to deteriorate and handling goes out the window. I'll have it on for standing starts then dial it off during the first lap.
 
I never use it period. Often that puts me at a disadvantage online. It sucks when you're spinning out into a sand trap and everyone is blowing past you with their TC on max laughing at you thinking you must suck.
 
I never use TC..heck I dont even really tune..I find driving the car the way it came out of the factory is more enjoyeable...nothing more fun than being on the very edge of traction..ofcourse you tend to spin more but it's a rush when you put together a great race.
 
I never use traction control, slows you down, learning to control the throttle makes you faster, and an all-round better driver :)
 
I havn't used TC since GTHD came out, it's when I finally realised it was much faster to drive, and more fun! Now i'm real good at controlling cars like the Amuse and GTLM.

And for people who use it online, if they need to use it to stop themsleves crashing, it's fine with me :)
 
Don't use it. Don't have anything against anyone who does.
 
And if you consider TC cheating, than maybe you should turn off ABS, which I know no one does.

That comment there irks me because theres alot of drivers who turn all aids off, me in particular i do not run with TCS/ASM or ABS online. I feel i've accomplished more when i can win like that. Also one of the reasons i race with an F40 600pp S2 Suzuka almost always, i know i can win with an F430, but i want the challenge of winning with a car not really suited to the track, a challenge to drive and without any aids.

Though im not complaining about the practicality, and i can see the use of TC or other driving aids and the 'do anything to win' mentallity, its just not for me. If you want to use it, so be it, race how you wanna race, its all fair, the options are there, if they didnt want you to use them, then PD would restrict you from selecting them before races just like tire choices.
 
i have played around with traction control and find it too restrictive, even on low settings.
 
I find traction control to be frutrating to be honest. It does no more than remove drive if you lose traction, a task than can be achieved much quicker by doing it yourself. If it kicks in, you're losing time so its definitely not a cheat feature. I suppose it could be used to get used to a powerful RWD car without spinning all the time, to learn when to use the power but that's about the limit of its uses IMO - its a handicap in a race.

As for ABS, I haven't had the courage to switch it off completely yet but for me its hard to adjust braking when there's no feedback through the pedal. Now there's a good idea... force feedback brake pedal. Logitech.. you got yer ears on?
 
Nah I dont use it, it ruins the gt5p expirience for me.
 
Back