TC, who uses it in online racing and what's your opinion on it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Threshold
  • 57 comments
  • 3,717 views
When I was a small child my mum got me a little pushbike with stabilisers on (you know the little wheels at the back that stop you falling over) I hated them, and couldn't wait to get them taken off. When they got taken off I kept crashing for a while but eventually I got the hang of it and never looked back.

I feel the same way about TCS and ASM
 
Though im not complaining about the practicality, and i can see the use of TC or other driving aids and the 'do anything to win' mentallity, its just not for me. If you want to use it, so be it, race how you wanna race, its all fair, the options are there, if they didnt want you to use them, then PD would restrict you from selecting them before races just like tire choices.

Wow, You must be great at handling those curves in that F430! :)
 
I use TCS for the standing starts. It gets a much better launch than trying to modulate throttle.

TCS on -> Floor it -> Shift Up -> Dial it Back
 
for the Suzuka 750pp races i think TC is a must, theres just no way to accelerate in 1st or 2nd without spinning your wheels. I dont have a steering wheel or gas pedals so theres no feel in using the X button its either full or off the throttle. I still do very well and dont meet many people who run away from me
 
I might use TCS for standing starts and might turn it on when approaching certain bends but its not really neccessary and more fun with it off
 
When I was a small child my mum got me a little pushbike with stabilisers on (you know the little wheels at the back that stop you falling over) I hated them, and couldn't wait to get them taken off. When they got taken off I kept crashing for a while but eventually I got the hang of it and never looked back.

I feel the same way about TCS and ASM

I look at TC totally different from this view. I look at it more as a racer. I continually experiment and change things around to find those few extra tenths. I experimented with TC and found that it offers a pretty big advantage in certain parts of Suzuka. Mainly Dunlop, the S Curves, and Casio Triangle. I don't really care much about egos, but I do know I love to win. TC has certainly helped me get closer to the limits of the car, and has helped me to actually compete with people like PS-CITY. Now when I go back to driving without it, I'm a little bit quicker and more consistent than before. I find myself sort of emulating the TC effect, but better. Although I wish I could turn it on and off with the push of a button. I know I could go quicker doing that corner to corner.
 
Although I wish I could turn it on and off with the push of a button. I know I could go quicker doing that corner to corner.

I just got a Logitech DF GT wheel last week. That's exactly what you can do...not just turn it on and off, but dial it up or down, too. As you drive.
 
I just got a Logitech DF GT wheel last week. That's exactly what you can do...not just turn it on and off, but dial it up or down, too. As you drive.

Yeah and I can do it on my Logitech Drving Force (yes the plain old Logitech Driving Force! Not the Ex, or Pro, or GT.) :)
 
This is more of a "please dont say i'm an amateur" threads, isn't it?

Well, put it this way, if TCS is there to use, why not use it? Its purely your choice to use it and it depends on player skill whether it helps or not.
TCS slows you down if you're good with throttle control/have a decent wheel, but if you can't control the throttle well with the more powerful cars, then its much faster to use it than mess about with spinning wheels.
Also, some cars almost require TCS to even think about driving below 3rd gear. Maybe not so much in Prologue, but I remember the TVR Speed 12 having rediculous wheel spin problems because of its power to weight ratio.

I had some nasty issues with the Honda NSX tuned to 600pp with S2s. If you even looked at the throttle whilst coming out of a corner it would spin out. A bit of TCS was needed to get it out of first gear. I can't say I'm fond of the combination of S2 and 600PP period, but I suppose it's a challenge that tests your driving skills.

Generally, I don't have much use for driver aids, although a few cars really do benefit from the ABS set to 1...
 
off for 750 pp, i just feather the throttle, set to 1 for 600pp till i get use to the Clio.
 
In GT4 I raced with the TC at 1 which stopped all wheelspin

In GT5P the TC at 1 or even more still allows for wheelspin so I just turned it off

Took some while getting use to but I hav the hang of it now and I'm not losing as much time on the track as I use to struggling without TC
 
for the Suzuka 750pp races i think TC is a must, theres just no way to accelerate in 1st or 2nd without spinning your wheels. I dont have a steering wheel or gas pedals so theres no feel in using the X button its either full or off the throttle. I still do very well and dont meet many people who run away from me

You should consider using L2, and R2 for brake + gas, as those are trigger sensitive, giving you a litle more control over the car comnpared with using the X button.
 
No TC for me, Cant stand it to be honest, Have no problem with others using it though.
 
I almost always have TCS on (for non-4wd/awd cars), but only at 1. There is too much a disadvantage against others using a wheel to not use it.
 
Yeah and I can do it on my Logitech Drving Force (yes the plain old Logitech Driving Force! Not the Ex, or Pro, or GT.) :)

you can do it on the controller if you map the buttons, personally I put it on the d-pad
 
Traction control slows you down. If you want to be competetive do not use it.
 
I only use it one the standing starts.. And any other time, I just don't bother..Unless the car is just useless without it...(Amuse S2000)
 
The amuse owns without TC :O
 
i dont use tc but i might start using it
 
In GT4 I never used TCS or ASM, period, and was able to drive even the most tenaciously difficult cars with only a little practice. Not necessarily drive them fast, but at least control them and turn good clean laps. Even that monster the TVR Speed 12 was manageable.

So far I've also avoided this in GT5P, but I'm being sorely tempted by the Ford GT road car, which I very much would like to drive in online races but just can't get a handle on yet. I do use ABS in most cars.

End the end however, I think using these things are fine as long as you still enjoy playing the game. For me, I love the feel of the cars to be as pure as possible and enjoy the additional challenge (at least to a point).

Another valid point you might consider is that our controllers SUCK at throttle, brake and clutch modulation compared to real vehicles. Thus it is much more difficult controlling the throttle and braking (and clutch) in Gran Turismo than it is in real life. This is true even of the higher-end controllers like the G25. If all you are doing when using these settings is making a car be as manageable as it should already be, then I certainly don't think you should be hard on yourself for using them. Now, I just have to convince myself of that so I can be competitive in the Ford GT online :-)))
 
I look at TC totally different from this view. I look at it more as a racer. I continually experiment and change things around to find those few extra tenths. I experimented with TC and found that it offers a pretty big advantage in certain parts of Suzuka. Mainly Dunlop, the S Curves, and Casio Triangle. I don't really care much about egos, but I do know I love to win. TC has certainly helped me get closer to the limits of the car, and has helped me to actually compete with people like PS-CITY. Now when I go back to driving without it, I'm a little bit quicker and more consistent than before. I find myself sort of emulating the TC effect, but better. Although I wish I could turn it on and off with the push of a button. I know I could go quicker doing that corner to corner.

Thank you that you like to compete with me.
I turn everything off but leave ABS to 1
I can do better launch at start for no TC
ASM or VSC will be not need if you tune the vehicle correctly.
For the people who do not have Steering wheel. ( That is me )
You can use the R3 to slowly go up and down to adjust gas.
Hope this help you racer out there
 
hey y'all

I must confessed I've used the TCS on GT3 GT4 and GT5 (never gave it 2nd thought) until i've been reading this thread. I turned off the TCS (set it to 0) and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MAKES! Sure I spin out easier, sure I fishtail now and then with the TCS disable but when you brake correctly and turn ur car in the correct angle, it'll EXPLODE out of the turn (Ford GT) I felt as if TCS has been muzzling my car's potinetal. I feel as if my whole driving experience from GT3, GT4 has been distulted by TCS. I feel as if a new life has been breathed into me. Now I'm having 1-2 second faster lap times without TCS (it requires more mental focus. One mistake, you can bet 9 out of 10 times you'll spin out) The real trick is correct braking timing and pointing ur car in the right direction, then you can have full unadultered torque and grip power to solely the rear wheel (or FWD OR AWD) So if you got the right stuff, disable the TCS and watch in blissful joy when you hear the rubber gripping at every inch of asphalt even safricing the rubber itself for a mere extra hundredth second that has been robbed from you ever since somebody invented TCS

NO TCS = 👍👍
 
I use TCS some cars some not,I don't want to highjack your thread but they need to fix the "real driving sim" TCS,like why does it lift throttle?Thats not how traction control works it applys brake pressure to the wheel or wheels that are spinning that would make a differance in how these cars handle.
 
I usually always race with everything off except TCS set at 2. If I'm driving an AWD car I put everything off.
 
I usually always race with everything off except TCS set at 2. If I'm driving an AWD car I put everything off.

Same here. Although if I'm doing a standard physics race for some reason, I leave TCS off, even in a RWD car. The only wheelspin I get is in 1st gear, and it's virtually impossible to spin in standard physics even if you are exiting a corner at full throttle.
 
I never use TC. Not even on a beast like the Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car.
 
I only use it at the standing starts and that's it, I see it as a way of improving my skills even if there has to be long hours of just practice, can be quite frustrating at times but it's all for the better.
 
Back