TCS POLL, what do you use....

• Thread starter jrbabbitt
  • 24 comments

What number is your TCS set on most of the time?

Votes: 61 77.2%

Votes: 8 10.1%

Votes: 15 19.0%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

jrbabbitt

Premium
United States
Charleston, SC
TCR_JimyBee
Recently the subject of TCS had come up in the Daily Race Discussion thread and I am honestly curious to find out what the "norm" is. Personally I keep mine set at 1 with 2 on some cars.
Please be open and say why if you want.

Thank you

Always TCS 0 for me. It's faster in GTS, and at least with a wheel, I don't find driving without it difficult at all.

I just use TCS 1 for a moment to avoid wheelspin in standing starts (and sometimes in the first few metres of a rolling start, if I start in the middle of a corner).

I never did experiment much with TCS, but from the time I used to race actively in Sport Mode a few years ago, the general consensus was that TCS in this game was not only useless, it actively slowed you down. Right now, I only use TCS 1 on a standing start as a simplified launch control, and immediately turn it off before the first upshift. Even the weakest setting of 1 seems to rein in the most powerful of road and race cars alike, so I genuinely have no idea why we have such a wide range of TCS available.

I think in earlier versions of the game, cars were much more slippery in general, and TCS back then legitimately was required to keep cars from spinning out (see RynoGT4's first GTS playthrough for evidence of this, bad language warning). Right now though, aside from standing starts, the only genuine application for TCS seems to be the kart.

The problem with tail happy cars is that often it's not excessive power that causes the rear to slide out, but rather, the tyre model, suspension setup, or just the physics engine in general. If you try driving a Lancia Stratos or Ferrari 458 GT3, you'll find that you can break the rear end of the car loose without even touching the throttle.

As far as I know, TCS is nigh useless in this game, but I may be wrong.

I’m always 1-2 sec from top ten on NA.
I never adjust brake balance or set TCS diff from default (3).
I have several accounts at A plus and strongly believe it’s a myth you need tcs off to be fast.
Beyond that…I beat Lewis Hamilton at multiple tracks with tcs 3.
There’s a few vehicles I use zero like the kart the gr4 Ferrari, some touring cars-racecars and downforce cars it’s bb0 tcs3
2DBFA192-9893-419B-89E4-7D217DA6D4C7.jpeg

Last edited:
I am open-minded about the use of TCS and think it is an individual choice based on each driver's skill level and what they're looking to get out of the game. Using TCS really helped me enjoy the racing while I was starting out because it kept me on the track. As I have worked to improve my skills, I have found that removing TCS has been helpful to make me better with some cars.

Until a few months ago, I used TCS 2 pretty much all of the time on all cars (except some of the Gr4's where I used TCS 0). I started running Gr3 and Gr4 league races with the ARL crew and they don't allow TCS to be used so I had to learn to drive without it. I now prefer TCS 0 for all Gr3 and Gr4 cars. It has been another good step in my evolution as a driver. I have gotten better at throttle control coming out of corners, and I have finally started to figure out trail braking! I think the use of TCS 0 has helped with that.

I still use TCS 2 for Gr1 and Gr2 cars. I don't use them enough to be confident in running TCS 0 without spinning out. At my current ability, a spin will lose me way more time than the few tenths per lap I might gain with TCS 0. If I ran a series or season with Gr1 or Gr2 cars though, I would be interested to try and learn TCS 0 to see if it helps me improve even further.

Qualifying I’m almost always TCS-0.

Racing in group 2 and 3, it varies for car and track. Some cars, TCS-anything really kills the power out of corners. But sometimes it’s worth the power loss for the sake of consistency IN A RACE.

Gr.4 it’s off all the time regardless. One of the worst things about TCS zero in a race is when you crash. I’m almost always just sitting in one place doing donuts

TCS 2 for anything N500 and above except 4WD which I am comfortable with TCS 0.

I suck, I only use a DS4, I use X/Square for acceleration/braking, and really don't care about trophies or my SR rating. Why do I say this . . . I only play GTS for fun.

I am legitimately trying to improve but as long as it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game.

TCS 0 induces wheel spins on turns (practice for last Wednesday's Manufacture's Series showed me this at a few turns).

TCS 0 is also a major headache if you happen to go off the track - donuts galore.

And finally most of the good racers use kerbing frequently . . . I avoid kerbing when TCS 0 is used because it will ALWAYS induce a spin. I am more comfortable if TCS 2 is used and don't have the wheel spin problem on turns.

Before anyone comments on why the above happens, I KNOW it has everything to do with my DS4 setup. It is either 0% or 100% acceleration/braking under my current setup.

As stated in a previous post use of TCS should be about your enjoyment of the game.

Side note: Personally I respect lobby owners (or clubs) who choose to not allow TCS use but I don't waste my time racing in those lobbies. They are taking away from my enjoyment of the game and what difference does it make anyways?

As I end most posts I will say . . . enjoy your racing!

Last edited:
I used to up it to 3 when doing rally tracks but it had so much impact on acceleration that I now let it to 1, and I should try 0. Yes I may loose grip more often buy pushing too much or too early on the throttle, but I am faster whith a low TCS and I have to be carefull with grip and keep a good driving line

Generally, TCS 2 for Gr.3 or faster. For Gr.4 and slower, 0 for normal use, 1 for standing starts, 2 for rolling starts in corners or for the first couple of laps on cold Racing Hards. Like @Timm Sheehan, I use X to accelerate, but unlike Timm, I use L2 to brake. The R2 on the controller I first played GT Sport with was not giving me full throttle, so I used X instead.

And over one year after buying GT Sport in April 2020, I am an A rank driver with All Gold in the Hamilton Time Trials.

To quote the original GT Sport intro: ‘Driving is for everyone’. For those of us that are not aliens, use the lowest TCS setting you are comfortable with. It does not have to be at zero.

I use TCS for launching the car off the line only and other than launching the car off the line is a no no, because it only slows you down especially in the corners.

I barely use TCS, except for a couple of the more difficult cars where I might push that to 1 or 2, and also when driving any RWD cars in the rain. I use TCS 1 for standing starts, but then turn it off.

I first bought a wheel for the PS3. I was predominantly playing the F1 games over the GT's, though I spent a lot of time on the GT's.
However I had no real racing technique and my lead foot meant that I could not race the F1 games without TCS on. Even when I tried partial throttle the car span off. This put me off and I was stuck on as a tcs user. This followed onto the PS4 any my new wheel. I was mainly an offline player so it made little difference. However it was last year when I was watching a Super-GT video that I paid attention to his inputs and saw that he was able to go full throttle quite early a lot of the time. This got me thinking and I ventured out and tested 0 TCS on slower cars eventually going up through the categories, even trying the W08. And it was fine. Compared to where the F1 games were (not played any since the 2016 version) having no TCS is very forgiving. Yes I still spin out from time to time. However I would say that is still 80% down to the car type. (Looking at you Lambo Gr3!) I'm more likely to understeer off than spin off from no TCS. (I can't brake for toffee). I feel no different when using a N100 car to the Super Formula. It has helped me refine my technique a lot. Even so much as if I ever go back to the F1 games (Requires a sea change in F1) then I may try a lower TCS setting there.

I have used TCS in certain situations in GTS since.
Standing starts and the rain race in the FIA. Both times I used setting 1. I can lap in the rain without TCS and in someways it's better as the TCS will always be interrupting in the rain, but I wanted a bit of help to prevent small sideways movement.

I have no issues with those who use TCS, different horses for different courses.

I'm only a very casual GTS player these days and only use a controller, so unless i'm running a front or 4WD car i'll set the TCS to 1. I use the traditional Gran Turismo button layout too, just because i always have and it comes naturally to me now, and due to the digital nature of the buttons (not the triggers) modulating the throttle isn't so easy so TCS at 1 stops me from spinning out on the exit of every damn corner.

It's certainly slower with TCS on, but i can be more consistent this way.

This is an example from last night. This is a top ten on NA player in C race last night.
0 TCS, faster laps than me, BUT I wasn’t far back and he pushed and slid off at Hells corner by running over the curbing on exit.
See the 208?204?
That’s what I mean. I beat this racer because of my consistent low mid 202 pace.
They crashed themselves out. In this case TCS 3 was faster over the course of a race.
This is what I most enjoy is being consistent, it’s what I strive for. I will never have the pace some of these aliens do over one lap anyways so I try to win by consistency and minimizing mistakes.
This is a great example of what I enjoy in terms of online racing.
66EDD2FC-2370-45FB-8645-C34FBB3701B6.jpeg

Fwiw, starting from nothing in this game with no previous experience outside the original ridge racer…
I have spent my whole career as a filler clean guy at the back or midpack.
In general my goal was maintain position-take a spot only if it was very clearly mine…and once a spot was taken hold it tenaciously.
I’ve never been and will never be equal in speed over one lap to a lot of these guys.
You can see in the daily thread the comment at me.
Gee I wonder why I am sensitive about it.
I’m maxed out. At some point you hit a limit on accuracy and quality of line and input. That is where I now am.
I could prove it a thousand times over.
Sure, at a favored combo if I want to try hard for hours to hit one lap I can once in a while get top ten but that’s not fun to me.
I don’t care about one hotlap very much at all.
What I enjoy is racing.

Last edited:
I use number 0 mainly in FWD and AWD vehicles in Sport Mode. In most races, I use number 3, and number 2 in certain RWD vehicles.

0. Always been faster for me to have it off. Have tried putting it on to see what it feels like and it just feels annoying and slows me down.

Last edited:
TCS 2, occasionally use 0 for quali or with low powered cars but any slip and back on 2. 0 can be faster, but far too easy to muck up. Use what you want though as it's a game to be played how you like it.

TCS0 on everything up to say N700 but I rarely run that high.

TCS1 on say GT3 700hp or GT2 900hp cars sometimes say at the end of a long race.

I feel like the open wheelers are ok on TCS0 except for the F1500 which is actually a pain from TCS2 to even 5.

I always use TCS 0, it's quicker because the computer isn't cutting power on the exits and having a bit of slip helps the rotation mid corner. What other people use is none of my or anybody elses business, if you feel more comfortable with the safety net use it.

I've read all the replies here to my question and learned quite a bit about TCS and about my driving... as I stated above I usually have mine set to 1 or 2 depending on the car and track, and I learned that it does allow you better control with it set at 2 or more but at a cost of speed and lap time, it also was a crutch for my poor driving skills as I am a controller driver and I tended not to be soft on the throttle and spun tires and the car sometimes with TCS at 1 or less, that alone taught me throttle basics and in doing so improved my lap times.
I was running the premier sports lounge race at Monza and I was in the lead by the 5th lap and tried something, I did two clean laps with TCS 2 and then i dropped it to 1 for two clean laps and did my final at 0. Doing my best and clean on those laps I noticed that my lap times decreased by about a second but I botched the final lap not being gentle on the gas out of the chicanes, spun off track on the first set, and swerved badly on second set.
It's taught me to be better driver...

Typically I use 0 during a race, for everything, but 1 as a crude launch control, just to get it moving (literally less than half a second) when necessary (usually Gr.3* and up). Edit: I use a DS4 too.

*Except the Gr.3 Supra concept which is bad enough trying to get off the line without it bogging down, with TCS on 1 its catastrophically bad. Oddly I've found the best way to get it off the line quickly is to let its wheels spin and just manage its desire to fling itself into a wall/someone else!

Last edited:
Back