TCS Track recommendation!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keith2324
  • 36 comments
  • 3,185 views
Messages
597
Barbados
Barbados
I am going to start learning in earnest how to drive without TCS. Which track would you guys recommend using which will give the best/hardest learning curve? I really want to get better, but I keep falling back into the trap of using TCS to keep up in races.

Thanks,
Keith.
 
I've only made the transition to no TCS in the past few months, and I just practice all combos as they come up, but I think tracks with lots of low speed corners work well, especially when there's camber.

Alsace Village comes to mind, as much as most people hate that track. Also Suzuka, it's simply one of the most technical tracks in the game and the world. The esses, the hairpin, spoon, etc are all good tests. Red Bull Ring is not the most technical track but has some testy corners for grip because they are either uphill, downhill or on a crazy angle like the final two turns and it will test your ability to maintain traction over the kerbs which must be used for a solid lap time imo.

However, the best thing for me was to just turn it off and leave it off and try it everywhere on several different cars. I did stay out of Sport Mode races for awhile on my main account though, because I was seriously lacking consistency and pace.

Good luck!
 
Main account? Now thats driver assistance. lol. Just take it all off and you will learn to deal. I suck bigtime but dont use assists except abs cuz most seem to use it. It is banned currently though in real life.
 
Main account? Now thats driver assistance. lol. Just take it all off and you will learn to deal. I suck bigtime but dont use assists except abs cuz most seem to use it. It is banned currently though in real life.
 
Main account? Now thats driver assistance. lol. Just take it all off and you will learn to deal. I suck bigtime but dont use assists except abs cuz most seem to use it. It is banned currently though in real life.

thanks for clarifying, lol....still have no idea what you mean about main account being driver assistance.
 
I think Tsukuba with a rear wheel drive street car of some kind. Use the tire with the least amount of grip, and make sure you are in an online room. Perfect to get the muscle memory of slowly applying the throttle exiting the corners. Start with lower hp, maybe the 86, then work your way up. Getting your foot to forget the mash technique is a feat, but one that is required to lower lap times and become a better racer.
 
Just try Group 4 without TCS. Once you're comfortable with FF and 4WD try the rear wheel drive cars.

Thanks for that advice. So far I am very comfortable with the FF and 4WD cars. But I will certainly work on the rear wheel drive cars. And I will definitely try Alsace and Suzuka. Thanks all.

Keith.
 
I am a newbie and trying to make tcs 0 as well. My opinion goes to car group instead of tracks as well. Still on progress but here is my suggestions:
> Try with Gr4 FF cars. When you hit the throttle, Gr4FF cars are not willing to spin. But you may observe some understeer. After some laps, you would be good to go. Then try other Gr4 cars. You can start with 4WD cars. Then in time, you can go to MR. When you start to handle Alfa Romeo 4C Gr4, Gr4 is done! :)
> For Gr3, I started with Porsche 911. I do not know why but this guy was so helpful in TCS removing. Interestingly, while I was using TCS:2, my favourite in Gr3 was Beetle
> Watch some videos but slow motion. You start to observe when these guys are hitting the throttle and hitting brakes.
> TCS is not nemesis; it is helpful in so many cases. If you are pushing your lack, you can use it in the race from time to time.
> I could not find TCS more than 2 beneficial. Even 3 is too much.

By the way, my other suggestion could be, if you are not using, try to use MT instead of AT. Still, I do not know how, but MT made my removing TCS process much easier.

Helpful track and car combinations for me was:

Gr4: Audi TT - Dragon Train Gardens
Gr4: Huracan - Fuji
Gr3: Porsche 911 - Autodrome Lago Maggiore
Gr2 and Gr1: Still on progress
 
Lots of good suggestions here so I'll just add this.

My little nugget of advise for trying to learn throttle control with TC Off would be to always keep in mind this general rule:

The more steering lock, the less throttle. 👍
 
I have just started without it. Did a league race on suzuka and got decent result, considering how good some of our players are. Its always good to look at others steering and throttle inputs when transitioning to 0 TC.
 
You should start with gr.4 indeed and gradually develop your ability to master the throttle. As for tracks I would pick something short but challenging. Interlagos can be a good shout as it's useful for building up confidence and consistency and it has many zones where you have to modulate throttle.
 
I'd focus on getting consistent without tcs on the short tracks first, like the short versions of Maggiore. Something with not a lot of corners so it's easier to see how much you improve with practice. If you really want to learn on a full size track then Catalunya is hands down the way to go imo, it has a bit of everything in terms of corners.
 
Last edited:
bathurst, with any Gr2. Or suzuka with the F1500
"it will be fun, they said"
 
Bathurst with the Toyota FT1

The camber at turn 1, the crest at turn 4 and the final corner are all going to test how smooth your throttle input is. The FT1 like to step out there more than most cars, so will be a good trial
 
I'm not in that condition to drive without TCS with my cheap Thrustmaster pedals. I use TCS at 2, but i will buy new hardware including a better pedalset and learn to drive without traction control. I hope, i find 1 second overall without TCS. Woith a lot of training of course....
 
I'm not in that condition to drive without TCS with my cheap Thrustmaster pedals. I use TCS at 2, but i will buy new hardware including a better pedalset and learn to drive without traction control. I hope, i find 1 second overall without TCS. Woith a lot of training of course....

Driving without TCS is all about throttle control and modulation and shouldn't be an issue with any pedal set (unless the accelerator is simply an on off switch). It braking without ABS where you'll find a better pedal set, especially one with a loadcell kit, comes in handy.
 
Pedals with more resolution and stronger springs makes it easier to control your throttle. pressure-memory :-)
 
Last edited:
A powerful RWD car on Big Willow will teach you throttle control. Use CS tyres on an M4 or something similar.
 
IMHO, it's more about the cars, not the tracks...
Some cars are just extremely snappy on slow corner or chicane exits.
They have ridiculously low mechanical traction, which I consider still a physics bug, although the 1.32 update improved it.

I tend to avoid those cars, as there is no way of "feeling" the oversteer coming.
If I/you still want to drive those, the only way is to remember which corners to better exit with 1/2 or even less throttle...
A longer/better pedal might be one key to this!
 
IMHO, it's more about the cars, not the tracks...
Some cars are just extremely snappy on slow corner or chicane exits.
They have ridiculously low mechanical traction, which I consider still a physics bug, although the 1.32 update improved it.

I tend to avoid those cars, as there is no way of "feeling" the oversteer coming.
If I/you still want to drive those, the only way is to remember which corners to better exit with 1/2 or even less throttle...
A longer/better pedal might be one key to this!

I agree with Nuu1212. Pick a car that has lots of fidelity and control during the oversteer, but that won't snap back and murder you into the wall if you overcorrect too agressively. For me that's always been the Cayman but I'm sure there are other cars that fit that bill as well.

If you find yourself still having trouble knowing when the front or rear are planted during a turn, change to the N300 Ford Focus. That car is like driving a cardboard box and with it's lack of grip in the front means that you have to really exaggerate your weight distribution to get that car to pivot and steer in a predictable manner.
 
GR2 Nissan at Fuji will teach you what to do. To start slow, run the Ford GT in GR4. It gets good traction once the weight transfers, but will bite you in second gear if using too much steering input. I've found one key to no TC is to make sure your turn is mostly done so there is little steering input when you fully gas it. Once accelerating you can feed in more steering because of the weight transfer. The hard part is maintaining corner speed under part throttle, which in this game means between 3/4 and 7/8ths throttle. In GR3, most mid engine and the 911 get good traction, so are pretty easy with some throttle control. Many of the FR cars are worse, but the Aston and the Benz aren't bad because they're stable and get good traction. Final test has to be LeSarth with chicanes in the Nissan 92. If you can consisntantly get good drives out of that thing in second gear, you have it mastered.
 
The hard part is maintaining corner speed under part throttle, which in this game means between 3/4 and 7/8ths throttle.

That's the part where I am having the most difficulty, whether in GR3 or GR4. I even tried the bungy cord mod on my throttle pedal but as most of us have experienced, modulating the throttle is a bit messy since it isn't linear. But I'm getting there. :)

Keith.
 
@Keith2324 I learned Mostly using a combination of GR3 and GR4 RWD's on a combination of Suzuka and Brands Hatch. The elevation changes are the key to making it difficult in my own opinion. I would recommend sticking away from MR's for the first few weeks of practicing.
 
I learned by doing time trials(qualifying) in the Daily race combos. I'd have it off for qualifying but kept it on during races for the first bit until I was fully comfortable. GR4 is alot more forgiving than the Gr3 cars. If you can master a GR3 FR car than any GR4 should be easy as it hardly requires half the throttle control.
 
That makes a pretty good argument for using assists. :lol:
Na, I think I am just to polite. I can handle the car and stay on the track but just cant pass anyone. I either get rammed or get slowly overtaken by 3 or 4 drivers. Probably need to get my lines down and learn the tracks better. Thanks though.
 
thanks for clarifying, lol....still have no idea what you mean about main account being driver assistance.
Well its kind of like cloning yourself and picking and choosing when you want to use your main account and when to use another. Just seems like it could be used to pad your numbers which can help/assist you in getting better numbers. I assumed it was frowned upon in the community but it dont make me none either way. No big deal, its just a game, and its just a thought I had. Play and enjoy. Dont mind me.
 
Back