Tell me honestly, is it worth it to buy wheel for this game?

• Thread starter Klik
  • 41 comments
Denmark
Denmark
For the last 6 months i've been playing GT sport a lot, about 400 races and im B/S safety rank. Im using motion control on dualshock. For the past few months I've thinking about getting a wheel+gt omega apex wheelstand.

My question is if its worth it to give 500+€ on this? The reason is that i get annoyed how penalty system works, a lot of times i get penaties even though it is someone else's fault.. I feel like most of the people just wanna overtake you no matter what, squeeze in tight places risking penalties everytime. A lot of time i feel like im playing some arcade racing game.. I tried other games like assetto corsa, automobilista/iracing but to tell you the true im coming back to GT sport because playerbase is so big in this game and you have GT3/GT4 races basically every 10min while in other game it happens only few times a day.

It's worth it for me especially if you have other games too.
Play GTS for the online, play AC for the driving experience.
GTS doesn't come close on the wheel for me in terms of physics and FFB. But obviously much more active online and so easy to set up private lobbies.
If you really don't get on with the wheel you can always sell it again. Just be aware it might take a little time to transition across where you'll probably be slower than you were on the pad

I used a controller in the early days of Gran Turismo and it was fine because I didn't know any different.
Then I got a wheel and the enjoyment factor shot right up! If you drive in real life it's also much more natural to use a wheel.
I really wouldn't like to go back to a controller for racing games.
Do you have any mates with one that you could try before you buy? As you have noted, good ones are not cheap! As John G says, you can always sell if you don't get on with it.

Last edited:
I bought a PS4 and a Wheel, just for this game. For me, it was money well spent. 👍
Same here. Got a bundle with spiderman, played that while I waited for GTS and my G29. Haven't bought any other games, and haven't touched spiderman since. Honestly, I got this because I like to race, and drive. You don't drive a car with a controller, so for me, it's pointless without the wheel.

Ia t
I used a controller in the early days of Gran Turismo and it was fine because I didn't know any different.
Then I got a wheel and the enjoyment factor shot right up! If you drive in real life it's also much more natural to use a wheel.
I really wouldn't like to back to a controller for racing games.
Do you have any mates with one that you could try before you buy? As you have noted, good ones are not cheap! As John G says, you can always sell if you don't get on with it.
Is there a big difference between motion control in controller(tilting your controller left/right to simulate wheel) vs actual wheel like g29/tgt/csl elite? Because for me its a huge difference between using pads and motion control

Ia t

Is there a big difference between motion control in controller(tilting your controller left/right to simulate wheel) vs actual wheel like g29/tgt/csl elite? Because for me its a huge difference between using pads and motion control

I never used motion control - I don't think they had it back in the days of PS3 - if they did, I didn't use it. It's not just mimicking a wheel's movement, there's the matter of the pedals too - and if you get a decent chair it will make all the difference. It feels much closer to being in the car to me, and that's what makes it much more enjoyable (for me, I know there are people that say they're quicker with a pad).

For the last 6 months i've been playing GT sport a lot, about 400 races and im B/S safety rank. Im using motion control on dualshock. For the past few months I've thinking about getting a wheel+gt omega apex wheelstand.

My question is if its worth it to give 500+€ on this? The reason is that i get annoyed how penalty system works, a lot of times i get penaties even though it is someone else's fault.. I feel like most of the people just wanna overtake you no matter what, squeeze in tight places risking penalties everytime. A lot of time i feel like im playing some arcade racing game.. I tried other games like assetto corsa, automobilista/iracing but to tell you the true im coming back to GT sport because playerbase is so big in this game and you have GT3/GT4 races basically every 10min while in other game it happens only few times a day.

A wheel will not change the way your competitors drive, there are just too many who want arcade racing in Sport Mode instead of proper racing. We can't fix that without help from Polyphony and they refuse to improve on it. A wheel has immensely improved game play for me, I think it is a great investment. For proper racing look for racing leagues, you will get to know others and develop respect for one another which improves racing.

Hey man, replied to you on reddit.

Edit-here’s what I said
Hell yes! GTS is great out of the box with wheel, feels better than F1/Dirt, probably better than PC2 also, lots of varied cars and tracks, and almost all skills on controller transfer over too! I’ve had a 300$ T300 for about 2 months now, I’m already High C/Low B and SR S. Even if you’re annoyed with penalties(who isn’t lol) at least 50% of your Sport Mode races will be clean and you can join private leagues too. Forget about what others do, just concentrate on your own race like Alex Albon, unfair penalties are as constant as death and taxes.

Last edited:
Pretty sure one of the Japanese finalists in the Supra Cup used motion control, I think PTLobo uses it he's A+, I think you can be fast with any type of controller if you put the time in, I use a wheel because I enjoy using it.

Same here. Got a bundle with spiderman, played that while I waited for GTS and my G29. Haven't bought any other games, and haven't touched spiderman since. Honestly, I got this because I like to race, and drive. You don't drive a car with a controller, so for me, it's pointless without the wheel.

Same here. I started with a t80. After one month, and learning there were wheels with ffb I knew I had to have one.
If you enjoy driving and racing, it’s sooo worth it.

I started with a wheel a month after GTS released. It just brings racing games to a whole another level that you don’t get with a controller.

As someone who loves anything related to cars this was a no brainer purchase and totally worth it in the long run. The only downside is now I want to upgrade.

I would definitely go for it if you really enjoy the game and have the time and money. But like others said, try to get a solid wheel that isnt the top of the line stuff first. I still use DS4 but would save to get a wheel if I actually had room to put in something at my house.

Figure out if you really spend that much time in GT Sport, and other racing games. If that is pretty much all you do then it seems like a wheel is definitely a good thing to get.

Good luck switching, I still dont know how you can steer with motion control, I move around all over the place too much to make that work.

Keep in mind that this game supports the DS4 motion sensor, which is worth a try and chance getting used to. I stopped considering a wheel purchase once I got hang of the motion sensor, which offers the same range of steering input as a wheel does. However, get a wheel if FFB is important to you, or if you play several racing titles that aren’t great on the DS4.

Keep in mind that this game supports the DS4 motion sensor, which is worth a try and chance getting used to. I stopped considering a wheel purchase once I got hang of the motion sensor, which offers the same range of steering input as a wheel does. However, get a wheel if FFB is important to you, or if you play several racing titles that aren’t great on the DS4.
I would say the main thing for the wheel.is the FFB. That would make it more quick to learn over the motion steering.

I tried it a couple of times on campaign races, but I am one of those guys who waves the controller around allover the place like a magic wand to "help" it turn or respond better.:lol:

No way I can change that after over 20 years of shaking and moving.:dunce:

I would say the main thing for the wheel.is the FFB. That would make it more quick to learn over the motion steering.

No doubt.

I tried it a couple of times on campaign races, but I am one of those guys who waves the controller around allover the place like a magic wand to "help" it turn or respond better.:lol:

No way I can change that after over 20 years of shaking and moving.:dunce:

Same here the first few times I tried it, but tilting the controller up and down is basically all it takes. I'm totally comfortable with it at this point.

Yep.

Just pick up a G29 to start out. It's more than enough.
While the G29 is a great piece of gear for the cost, at this point in time I'd be waiting to see if it will be supported on the PS5.
Now that they've got a new wheel (g923?) I don't know if they'll want to give Sony a kickback to support something they aren't making money off any more.
Of course Drive Hubs and other options will always be around, but might be worth waiting until the new console lands in a couple of months just to see where things end up sitting and maybe future proofing yourself.

I bought myself a G29 about a year and a half ago and at the time it felt like a silly investment for one game, but I have no regrets at all. The game is a lot more fun with a wheel, much more immersive and given time has made me much more consistent. However...
The reason is that i get annoyed how penalty system works, a lot of times i get penaties even though it is someone else's fault.. I feel like most of the people just wanna overtake you no matter what, squeeze in tight places risking penalties everytime.
A wheel won't change your experience with these points. Penalties are just as bad and other peoples driving will be just as erratic!

While the G29 is a great piece of gear for the cost, at this point in time I'd be waiting to see if it will be supported on the PS5.

Sony have already confirmed that all peripherals officially supported on PS4 will work on PS5 👍

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/0...ns-on-compatible-ps4-peripherals-accessories/

I've never played GT Sport, and the only reason for that is that I have no space for a wheel. After owning one for years I simply couldn't put myself through the misery of using a controller on a proper racing game, that's how much they're worth having (for me anyway).

I've played every major version of Gran Turismo, so have been playing for over 20 years.
Because the early games were controller only, I resisted changing to a wheel for years. When I finally switched I found it difficult to adjust at first, but it soon became as natural as driving a real car and, once you get used to it, using a wheel is so much more immersive. 👍
As an experiment I recently tried using a controller again, but was completely hopeless! 👎

After 20+ years of playing gran turismo on and off....... and a solid 2 years of playing GTS (a little more on than off), I finally made the jump to buy a wheel. I was going to get a setup when GT7 eventually came out. But the lovely lady bought me a playseat for my Bday a couple weeks ago....so she left with no choice but to get a wheel!!

I ended up going with the Fanatec CSL elite with a load cell pedal. It was tempting going cheaper with a Logitec or thrustmaster, but I figured I'll buy a nice(ish) set first time out and be done with it. I'll never get into Sim Racing enough where I'll feel the need to go any higher-end than the CSL elite. With everything, I'm into this setup for probably close to $1100 (everything is brand new), but I know it'll last me for a while.

Hopefully I'll be posting up soon about the transition from 20 years with a controller to a wheel. I know one thing I'm going to have to get used to, is using separate feet for the accelerator and brake like the fast guys do. 22 years of driving habits are gonna be hard to break!!

For the last 6 months i've been playing GT sport a lot, about 400 races...

My question is if its worth it to give 500+€ on this? .
In my opinion the math says yes.

It's not out of the ordinary to spend more once you are more committed to something. In activities like golf, skiing or music. You start out with rental or 2nd hand equipment. Then invest more after about 1 season (6 months). An entry level set of clubs, a pair of skis or a guitar costs about the same.

It won't guarantee you get better. A good golfer, skier, guitar player can still beat most people with any equipment. And a golfer, skier or musician with good equipment doesn't always reflect their skill.

Absolutely a personal thing. To each their own. I know golfers who will never replace their 2nd hand clubs (me included). And I know guitar players who refuse to play nice guitars.

After 20+ years of playing gran turismo on and off....... and a solid 2 years of playing GTS (a little more on than off), I finally made the jump to buy a wheel. I was going to get a setup when GT7 eventually came out. But the lovely lady bought me a playseat for my Bday a couple weeks ago....so she left with no choice but to get a wheel!!

I ended up going with the Fanatec CSL elite with a load cell pedal. It was tempting going cheaper with a Logitec or thrustmaster, but I figured I'll buy a nice(ish) set first time out and be done with it. I'll never get into Sim Racing enough where I'll feel the need to go any higher-end than the CSL elite. With everything, I'm into this setup for probably close to $1100 (everything is brand new), but I know it'll last me for a while.

Hopefully I'll be posting up soon about the transition from 20 years with a controller to a wheel. I know one thing I'm going to have to get used to, is using separate feet for the accelerator and brake like the fast guys do. 22 years of driving habits are gonna be hard to break!!

If you move the pedals close together, just right foot works, I would spend a good amount of time first on using both feet though, definitely.
I’d say if you get natural with it, it’s better.
But all is not lost if you have that gear and wanna use the one foot.

Back