Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,521 comments
It looks from the highest point of the trip all the way to Pasadena, say from the 280 mile mark to 350, 70 miles total, the truck basically used net zero power due to regeneration. Seventy miles, zero power. Wow. That said, it seems only about 25% of uphill use is being recovered downhill and I'm not fluent enough in regenerative braking to know if that stands out in any way.

One thing I do know is that the 75% net loss of power over those extreme elevation gains simply won't exist in most of the country, especially here in the Midwest, so this fully loaded 500 mile trip instantly goes up by a considerable margin due to increased average efficiency.

Because of the terrain Tesla's operations are in they emphasize the truck's ability to climb grades, and that's good news for the Rockies and Appalachia, but extended grades are rare where I live. On the freeway, the only place they exist anywhere near me is at Ohio River crossings, for example southbound on I-75 into Kentucky. The freeway up that hill is four lanes wide for a reason, and there are tons of signs posted for slow vehicles to keep right. Trucks climbing that grade is a localized issue that was planned for.

No, the bigger issue is the rolling hills which I've mentioned several times and had more problems with today while out driving. We don't have to worry about slow semis or hot brakes around here, we have to worry about semis racing down one rolling hill so they can use that speed to get up the next one. Over and over and over again. Speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down. The Tesla truck simply won't do that, it'll power up, regen down, power up, regen down, maintaining speed as a car would do on Autopilot. Is choosing a speed and going it really that much to ask? I think not, but then again if the speed limit is 35 on a city road buddy I'm slappin that Toyota cruise control stalk like it was talking back to me.

But in places that don't even have rolling hills, like all of Ohio north of Dayton and everything west of here until Denver, the Tesla truck will benefit from little need for all three motors to engage, little need to negotiate genuinely slow traffic or to pass using full power, decreased rolling resistance due to straighter roads, and more consistent power usage leading to more accurate trip planning. I bet that Semi could cover the 530 miles from Detroit to St. Louis with room to spare and probably cover the 570 from Columbus to Green Bay. From Denver it's 540 miles to Omaha and 600 to Kansas City, both downhill, both with the wind...I bet that's totally doable, and they're important routes because there's a whole lot of nothing between Denver and either of those two cities. Hell, it's only 440 miles from Minneapolis to Kansas City, a straight shot and flatter'n a phone book. Get there with 20% left. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio: You can hit all three in 550 miles but not return home. But the Dallas, Houston, Austin circle can be completed in just a hair under 600 miles. Miami to Savannah? Orlando to Atlanta? I think you get the point.

God damn they can't build and sell these things fast enough.
Here's my non-scientific graphic analaysis of about how far I think the semi truck would have gone with NO regen. I would guess around 350-380 miles based purely on the linearity of the battery depletion on relatively level ground and not picking up anything downhill. I'd like to see speed plotted ontop of this. If the speed was kept within a 10-20% window, this would be pretty impressive, as it would imply that hills don't reduce range that much at all - if you trace a line from the start point to the end point, the curve linearity is basically the same as it is on the flattest sections of the trip. On the other hand, this would also imply that a flat route would not necessarily see a big boost to mileage. I suspect "highway speed" is being used pretty liberally here...Would love to see how fast it was climbing Tejon pass, that's a pretty damn steep highway (5% all the way up).

no regen.JPG

Here's my non-scientific graphic analaysis of about how far I think the semi truck would have gone with NO regen. I would guess around 350-380 miles based purely on the linearity of the battery depletion on relatively level ground and not picking up anything downhill. I'd like to see speed plotted ontop of this. If the speed was kept within a 10-20% window, this would be pretty impressive, as it would imply that hills don't reduce range that much at all - if you trace a line from the start point to the end point, the curve linearity is basically the same as it is on the flattest sections of the trip. On the other hand, this would also imply that a flat route would not necessarily see a big boost to mileage. I suspect "highway speed" is being used pretty liberally here...Would love to see how fast it was climbing Tejon pass, that's a pretty damn steep highway (5% all the way up).

View attachment 1212665
Here's my flat land prediction (~580 miles) based on the flatter section after Kettleman City. Though yeah it doesn't mean much without knowing the speeds and traffic conditions.

1670032201047.png

@ROAD_DOGG33J Every now and then the driver's hat moves out of the way and you can catch of frame of the speedometer. At 48 seconds into the video the truck was going 65 on a two-lane freeway.

tesla semi speed capture.png

I hope they post the full 8 hours but I doubt they will.

Also, though I have little experience in a semi cab, I can already tell that the level of immersion in this truck is going to be excellent. A great environment for low stress concentration. My time driving a single-axle flatbed truck was full of horrible noise, vibration, discomfort, poor visibility, and the smallest amount of information required to be legal. This thing looks like the total opposite and frankly looks really enjoyable to drive. The central position is glorious, the huge windows are glorious, the digital mirror supplements are gorgeous, the configurable map is gorgeous. Let's hope trucking companies actually give a damn about improving safety and efficiency and understand that it'll cost money. We're about to find out which companies are greedy and lazy and which ones are going ot try their damndest to be better. Hell, most contruction-related trucks can't even be bothered to powerwash the dirt and rocks off as they'd rather fling it all across the highway, chipping paint and cracking windshields, than give a care about anybody else's machines.

Last edited:
@ROAD_DOGG33J Every now and then the driver's hat moves out of the way and you can catch of frame of the speedometer. At 48 seconds into the video the truck was going 65 on a two-lane freeway.

View attachment 1212850

I hope they post the full 8 hours but I doubt they will.

Also, though I have little experience in a semi cab, I can already tell that the level of immersion in this truck is going to be excellent. A great environment for low stress concentration. My time driving a single-axle flatbed truck was full of horrible noise, vibration, discomfort, poor visibility, and the smallest amount of information required to be legal. This thing looks like the total opposite and frankly looks really enjoyable to drive. The central position is glorious, the huge windows are glorious, the digital mirror supplements are gorgeous, the configurable map is gorgeous. Let's hope trucking companies actually give a damn about improving safety and efficiency and understand that it'll cost money. We're about to find out which companies are greedy and lazy and which ones are going ot try their damndest to be better. Hell, most contruction-related trucks can't even be bothered to powerwash the dirt and rocks off as they'd rather fling it all across the highway, chipping paint and cracking windshields, than give a care about anybody else's machines.
Interesting if doing 65, I'm pretty sure the speed limit for trucks in California is 55 mph.

Interesting if doing 65, I'm pretty sure the speed limit for trucks in California is 55 mph.
Do they actually go that speed? Ohio doesn't have a specific truck limit anymore but they don't seem to care what's on the sign regardless. I'm especially fond of the owner-operators driving Peterbilts at full throttle, straight pipes audible from miles away, busting ass at 75 mph, the fastest vehicle of any type on that section of freeway.

Do they actually go that speed? Ohio doesn't have a specific truck limit anymore but they don't seem to care what's on the sign regardless. I'm especially fond of the owner-operators driving Peterbilts at full throttle, straight pipes audible from miles away, busting ass at 75 mph, the fastest vehicle of any type on that section of freeway.
That looks like the 5. Not heavily patrolled. From what I remember, trucks typically do 65-75ish. Car traffic is like 80-100. I've done pretty much the whole length of the valley at 90...just cruising with everyone else.

I have to say the restroom stop is suspiciously long. About 12 seconds (0.2 mins or 10% of the trip) in the video. If the trip is 8 hours, that's 480 minutes, then:

2 / 480 = 0.2 /x

x = 48 minutes

I've done the same trip before in a 2 seat roadster, I don't think I stopped for 45 minutes lol. What was the dude doing?

Last edited:
x = 48 minutes
Did you see the guy eat lunch/dinner at any point in the rest of the video? A 30 minute break is the legal minimum within or after 8 hours. I personally wouldn't be able to squeeze in lunch and a poo within 48 minutes so I'm surprised he pulled that off. Also four hours without a pee is a really long time unless you're a kid with way too much energy and low standards. I'd argue the lack of rest rules in the airline industry is due to damn kids who won't sit down and stop doing anything for more than a couple minutes at a time. Overachievers. Take a break.

Did you see the guy eat lunch/dinner at any point in the rest of the video? A 30 minute break is the legal minimum within or after 8 hours. I personally wouldn't be able to squeeze in lunch and a poo within 48 minutes so I'm surprised he pulled that off. Also four hours without a pee is a really long time unless you're a kid with way too much energy and low standards. I'd argue the lack of rest rules in the airline industry is due to damn kids who won't sit down and stop doing anything for more than a couple minutes at a time. Overachievers. Take a break.
I drove from Dallas to around Middletown Ohio (was just over 1000 miles) once, solo, in one go with only snacks and restrooms breaks when I stopped for gas - and no cruise control. I wouldn't say it was fun per say :lol:

Looking more closely at the video, a significant portion of the trip was done under 60mph and a lot of it at just 50mph. Looks like he climbed Tejon pass at 55mph. Which is pretty decent, but not car traffic fast.

Last edited:
What the hell for? I live very close to Middletown and still won't go to Middletown unless perchance one day I'd wake up with the desire to have my car stolen.
I was driving to Michigan...that was as far as I could get in one day. It was like 14 hours of driving. Misery.

I've been watching the Tesla Semi not just from the perspective of someone who wants to see shipping costs/times improve and more automation in the trucking industry, but from the perspective of someone who wants to buy one (or something like it) eventually.

I'd love to do a big EV motorhome, and the Tesla Semi look like a good platform for something like that. Here's a render:

Tesla-Semi-motorhome-hero.jpg

Efficiency, automation, and contiguous power, even somewhat regenerative power with panels sounds really amazing in a motorhome. The advantage of being able to maintain speed or have solid braking while climbing or descending steep grades sounds like real quality of life improvement. The last time I glamped in a motorhome the vehicle had 3 different fuel sources - gasoline, solar, and propane. You had gauges to keep track of all 3, that's in addition to the usual stuff like water and waste levels. Having electricity without having to keep the engine or generator running is very nice, but in a vehicle that's based on gasoline, the battery doesn't last as long as you might like. Maintenance on a diesel equivalent is also somewhat demanding.

Last edited:
I've been watching the Tesla Semi not just from the perspective of someone who wants to see shipping costs/times improve and more automation in the trucking industry, but from the perspective of someone who wants to buy one (or something like it) eventually.

I'd love to do a big EV motorhome, and the Tesla Semi look like a good platform for something like that. Here's a render:

Tesla-Semi-motorhome-hero.jpg
That looks less like a motorhome and more like a futuristic version of that mobile command center from GTA5.

...actually, these probably would make a pretty good platform for something like that. I could see it working as one of those mobile broadcast centers that sports networks use.

I'm still wanting to know some information.

-What was the payload weight?
-What was the tractor weight?
-Was the tractor "production" spec & weight?
-What configuration was the tractor?

Some people speculated that the 500 mile test involved a flatbed trailer hauling concrete K-rails, but that is not what the video appears to show. But the intro clip shown shows what appears to be single-height rows of cardboard boxes on pallets. Is that really 45,000+ lbs of stuff?

Elon always gives just enough information to make everything seem plausible, but never enough to leave no doubt.

Professional (European) truck driver dismantles the Tesla Semi cab, says that nobody involved in the design process knows squat about driving trucks.

Interesting thread.

It doesn't really surprise me since Teslas have terrible ergonomics. But ya I do think Oryński makes some excellent points and has hit upon something that's becoming increasingly common in the tech world, stuff being designed by people that will never use it. I deal with it every day in the software I work with, it was designed by a bunch of people right out of college who's never once worked in a healthcare setting and it shows.

What's the record it broke, what's the numbers, and what's the source on the numbers? I can't see anything in the replies that reference it all, just a lot of yesmen and... I guess what you would call "haters".

Car sales stats are... often vague without an official, independent source. In the UK we have the SMMT, an official industry body for all car manufacturers, but even they release Tesla's "monthly" figures uncritically; Tesla releases its sales figures in the UK quarterly, so it will show almost no registrations for two months and then a lot in the third, which often results in it being the best-selling car for a particular month even though it's the figures for a quarter.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Modelly outstrip a 53-year old monthly sales record in Norway on the same basis, but without knowing what the record is, what the old and new figures are, and where they came from... it's just a claim and a shrug.

Norway also has the largest proportional electric car uptake in the world. I guess a 55% tax on new petrol/diesel cars helps.

What a weird record to brag about. Norway has less than 5.5 million people in it and less than 200,000 new cars sold per year. Plus, as of November, Tesla had sold 12,832 units (assuming Inside EV is remotely legit). It's not like breaking that record means anything at all.

What's the record it broke, what's the numbers, and what's the source on the numbers? I can't see anything in the replies that reference it all, just a lot of yesmen and... I guess what you would call "haters".

Car sales stats are... often vague without an official, independent source. In the UK we have the SMMT, an official industry body for all car manufacturers, but even they release Tesla's "monthly" figures uncritically; Tesla releases its sales figures in the UK quarterly, so it will show almost no registrations for two months and then a lot in the third, which often results in it being the best-selling car for a particular month even though it's the figures for a quarter.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Modelly outstrip a 53-year old monthly sales record in Norway on the same basis, but without knowing what the record is, what the old and new figures are, and where they came from... it's just a claim and a shrug.

Norway also has the largest proportional electric car uptake in the world. I guess a 55% tax on new petrol/diesel cars helps.
Google is your friend.

And I don't appreciate you following me around and picking apart my posts. I shared a tweet, if you need more info go find it.

Last edited:
What a weird record to brag about. Norway has less than 5.5 million people in it and less than 200,000 new cars sold per year. Plus, as of November, Tesla had sold 12,832 units (assuming Inside EV is remotely legit). It's not like breaking that record means anything at all.
Well, at least they cite their sources, as the Norwegian Road Federation (OFV). They've got figures for November's sales too:

I'm still not sure what the actual record is or was - though hitting half its annual sales YTD in just September and November (and 47 cars in October!) might net it a monthly record as noted before. Maybe?
Google is your friend.
Sure is, but it's not my claim to back up. Tesla has provided absolutely no context for what this record even is - weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual?
And I don't appreciate you following me around and picking apart my posts.
Actually I'm picking apart Tesla's tweet, so unless you're also Tesla's social media guy you're not really involved in the process.

But it's basic critical thinking. Tesla has presented a stat entirely bereft of context. The context be great; wouldn't you like to know what it is you're cheering about precisely?

How much you appreciate it isn't relevant either; if you post stuff in public areas, you're getting public comments. I'm not sure what "following me around" has to do with anything, except the same thing it did last time you kicked off at me: your imagination and ego.

Last edited:
Back