Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,521 comments
Master Plan Part 3 details have arrived!

If you have any complicated questions for me, feel free to keep it to yourself for a few weeks. :lol: Turns out that transitioning our entire energy supply to a point where we can recycle materials already extracted is quite complex. But at least Tesla are publicly providing their goals on how this could be achieved. Happy days.

I wonder if the plan includes slightly firmer privacy protections:

Lightly appalling. The very best you can come up with for this is "Well, other manufacturers are probably doing it as well, but in secret".

Master Plan Part 3 details have arrived!

If you have any complicated questions for me, feel free to keep it to yourself for a few weeks. :lol: Turns out that transitioning our entire energy supply to a point where we can recycle materials already extracted is quite complex. But at least Tesla are publicly providing their goals on how this could be achieved. Happy days.

Some pretty eye-opening assumptions just glossed over in this white paper.

Today there are 1.4B vehicles globally and annual passenger vehicle production of ~85M vehicles, according to OICA. Based on
pack size assumptions, the vehicle fleet will require 112 TWh of batteries aa . Autonomy has potential to reduce the global fleet, and
annual production required, through improved vehicle utilization.

We're not even close to autonomy being deployed at scale. It barely works (and frequently doesn't) at reduced inner-city speeds. I still don't think autonomy at scale is even possible without enormous infrastructure upgrades.

For aviation, if 20% of
the ~15,000 narrow body plane fleet is electrified with 7MWh packs, then 0.02TWh of batteries will be required.

A 7MWh battery pack, with current state of the art tech would weigh nearly 100,000 pounds...and you want to put that in a plane? For reference, a Boeing 737 weighs 90,000 pounds. And... @Keef I suspect that engineering a plane to land at the same weight it took off at is not ideal.

A 7MWh battery pack, with current state of the art tech would weigh nearly 100,000 pounds...and you want to put that in a plane? For reference, a Boeing 737 weighs 90,000 pounds. And... @Keef I suspect that engineering a plane to land at the same weight it took off at is not ideal.
This is assuming power density for batteries will not progress beyond 2023 technology? Given that large electric planes are still some way off, at some point the mass will reduce to a point where larger EV passenger planes are feasible.

I get what you're saying about landing weight though. Maybe it's not as crucial for VTOL's?

We're not even close to autonomy being deployed at scale. It barely works (and frequently doesn't) at reduced inner-city speeds. I still don't think autonomy at scale is even possible without enormous infrastructure upgrades.
Agree on the infrastructure upgrades. Standardization of road design across the country is absolutely appalling and standardizations of usage is even worse. If you want examples of the sort of infrastructure standardization required for autonomy to work reliably, look to aviation. Go peruse airports on maps, big and small, and report back. Perhaps the industry is studying aviation for lessons but I haven't read any stories about a crossover.
Speaking of aviation lol. Airplanes have this one silly magic trick they do on every flight: They get lighter as they burn fuel. And they're almost never filled to the brim either. While a CRJ-900's max takeoff weight is about 80,500 pounds, I never saw anything over 77,000 pounds and that was only because we were carrying 13,500 pounds of fuel which was over 3x what we needed for that particular flight.

The CRJ-900's max landing weight is about 73,500 pounds, nearly 10% less. There are so many factors invovled with increasing landing weight a whopping 10% it's not even funny. The entire structure of the plane isn't designed for it, the landing gear structure isn't designed for it, the tires have to be either bigger or have more of them to spread the load because there are weight-per-tire rules to meet, the brakes aren't nearly big enough to haul down that much weight (while it can, we basically never landed anywhere near max landing weight except that one time, but typically about 64,000 pounds, a further 10% lower than max), by the time you redesign all that stuff to be bigger and stronger and heavier you now need much more powerful engines, and now you need to carry more fuel...I haven't even mentioned the increased landing distances which will limit usable airports and severly impact EAS communities with shorter runways.

It can be done, don't get me wrong. It's being done now. But the tech simply isn't there to make EV planes as capable as they currently are. Plus, the increased efficiency required means outside-the-box designs like this:

eviation-alice-tow-dusk-1.jpg

eviation-alice-ramp-taxi-moses-lake.jpeg

Alice_Commuter_Layout_2021-12-02-copy.jpg

The extreme efficiency necessary requires a high aspect ratio wing like a glider which cannot achieve transsonic speeds like a swept-wing jet. But while those wings are capable of flying at very high altitudes, see the U-2 and Global Hawk, the propellers you see here are not. The reason this thing has propellers is because they are considerably more efficient than jets in denser, more "accessible" air. It takes a lot less power to achieve efficiency with a propeller at low altitude than it takes to achieve efficiency with a jet at high altitude. But we use jets because when you do finally achieve those high altitudes they are waaaay more efficient than propellers will ever be at any altitude, and they're cheaper and easier to maintain, and more reliable, and have considerable speed and range at those high altitudes. They also fly above most weather which is absolutely key to convincing people to ride airplanes at all, partly becauase it is way safer and adds another layer of efficiency in avoiding re-routes and delays. Note that is also has a really weird fuselage shape which is actually a big human factors consideration for both passenger comfort and for emergency egress. Humans don't like to not be able to see out of windows, especially in small spaces, so the less accessible windows are the more motion sickness people will suffer which is already really unpleasant and causes more flight delays than you might realize. If you scale these wide fuselages up to widebody size, you now have to redesign your emergency exit strategies and methods. And the thing is wide as hell so now you're redesigning airport jet bridges and all the parking slots at extreme expense and with less efficient layouts. And engineers are worrying about pressurization cycles over the airframe's lifetime because round tubes are already the ideal shape to deal with that. Note that the Eviation Alice is unpressurized which means its crews will have to wear oxygen if they operate above 12,500 feet longer than 30 minutes. That's a huge pain in the ass and is very fatiguing so realistically this plane wouldn't be flown above 10,000 feet very often, right in all the rough air, at the mercy of Mother Nature. Oh, and the 250nm range published by Eviation includes the VFR minimum of destination+30 minute reserve, not an IFR minimum of destination+alternate+45 minute reserve.

Speaking of range, you though range anxiety was a problem in cars lol. I'll use an example for the legal requirement for minimum fuel carrying. It was super common for flights to be only about 1 hour from my Detroit base. If we needed to file an alternate landing airport, we needed to carry enough fuel to get to the destination, and enough fuel to then get to the alternate airport at normal speed, and enough fuel to continue flying at normal speed for 45 minutes after getting to the alternate. So that's a 1 hour flight worth of fuel plus probably 1.5 more hours worth of fuel just to satisfy the legal minimums. 60% of our fuel wasn't even for the destination! It was for safety factor.

Show me a battery than can do that. I agree with most of Tesla's assessments and think an electric and renewable revolution is achieveable. But electric airplanes at scale are decades away. What you see above is the first serious attempt at a transport-category electric airplane that is fully functional. That thing is the GM EV1 of airplanes and honestly it kinda looks similar too. Eviation is planning to achieve airworthiness in 2027, 31 years after GM started selling the EV1. Unfortunately, the FAA doesn't operate on schedule.

Last edited:
@Keef Good post, nice to learn a bit about fuel requirements.

I know nothing on the subject, just going off what I've heard may be achievable. If an electric plane were to use vast majority of its stored energy to ascend to a high altitude, cruise higher than a standard passenger jet plane (if less oxygen is required due to lack of combustion engines?), then decend while the batteries regenerate from air friction - Could these be possibilities?

There's more:

You know how these modern EV and technology companies love to constantly update software and debut new hardware as technology quickly advances? Yeah, the FAA doesn't operate like that either. There are actually legal requirements even for software updates, manufacturers have to get their update methods approved by the FAA. And when certified for airworthiness, the airframe including engines becomes a single unit, and any modification to something like the powertrain (new battery tech, new motors, new propellers) will require a supplemental type certificate which requires physical testing and can be a years-long process, and debuting a new version of the airplane to integrate these technologies will require a brand new airworthiness certification of the entire airplane. Annual facelifts and new features do not exist in aviation so even if an EV plane debuts and is the greatest thing ever, its battery tech will be outdated by the time it achieves airworthiness, and by the time the airframe is ten years old it'll be downright obsolete. But wait there's more! Airplane engine manufacturers still make and sell very old designs specifically to support old airframes which need new engines because the engine has to be replaced with whatever the airframe was certified with. If this Eviation airplane requires a new battery in 10 years, it'll have to be replaced with the exact same type of battery, newly manufacturerd of course because batteries don't have a shelf life anywhere near that long. Whoever designs and builds this battery will have to maintain the capacity to keep building and supporting them for decades while technology advances rapidly.

To summarize:

• The powertrain the plane is certified with is what it gets
  • You can't issue software updates without an FAA-certified upgrade program
  • You can't modify it without an STC which requires flight testing etc
  • You can't replace it with something different without converting to an experimental type certificate which makes the plane useless for commercial purposes
  • You can't even debut a new model of the airplane with new hardware without getting the whole thing certified all over again

Why all these rules? So silly people can't just slap a V8 in a 350Z and go rip through the nearest Whole Foods parking lot like a rabid animal. You can't even change an airplane's exhaust pipe without a tested and certified STC so hopefully somebody else already created what you want which is not the case with EVs since these guys are the pioneers of everything they're doing.

Yes, the rules are extremely cautious and extremely outdated. No, they're not going to change anytime soon and they probably shouldn't change much.

Edit:
@Keef Good post, nice to learn a bit about fuel requirements.

I know nothing on the subject, just going off what I've heard may be achievable. If an electric plane were to use vast majority of its stored energy to ascend to a high altitude, cruise higher than a standard passenger jet plane (if less oxygen is required due to lack of combustion engines?), then decend while the batteries regenerate from air friction - Could these be possibilities?
Physically it sort of makes sense yes but again the problem of electric turbine engines exists. The concept sort of doesn't work because you're not creating heat by burning fuel. There simply isn't enough air density at high altitudes for a propeller to work at all. Plus, airplanes' service ceilings are also certified and the main consideration is actually how quickly it can descend from that very high altitude in an emergency depressurization situation.

I personally think the best place where jet airplanes can be made more efficient is...on the ground, not in flight. Obviously I know now, because starting and even shutting down a jet's engines is a bit of a process, but I think a hybrid system driving the main wheels is a good idea. A new airframe could be designed with a fire-protected battery bank as well as electric motors supplementing the massive brakes on the main wheels. On the ground at very busy airports, engine start can often be delayed for several minutes, and during that time the APU would be running aircon while the hybrid system would be taxiing the plane. Even in the lowly CRJ, this could save multiple hundreds of pounds of fuel per flight. Currently, best practices are to taxi on one engine as often as possible. One serious problem with this hybrid drive system is that it would increase crew workload during taxi quite a bit and could cause more delays when approaching runways for takeoff. There are several time limits to be heeded for both warmup and cooldown which complicates things also.

There really aren't any good ways to electrify jet airplanes. Electrifying the APU is probably the most effective real thing that can be done easily but again that won't happen until it's designed in a 100% new airframe. It would be impossible to modify existing planes with an electric APU.

Last edited:
There's more:

You know how these modern EV and technology companies love to constantly update software and debut new hardware as technology quickly advances? Yeah, the FAA doesn't operate like that either. There are actually legal requirements even for software updates, manufacturers have to get their update methods approved by the FAA. And when certified for airworthiness, the airframe including engines becomes a single unit, and any modification to something like the powertrain (new battery tech, new motors, new propellers) will require a supplemental type certificate which requires physical testing and can be a years-long process, and debuting a new version of the airplane to integrate these technologies will require a brand new airworthiness certification of the entire airplane. Annual facelifts and new features do not exist in aviation so even if an EV plane debuts and is the greatest thing ever, its battery tech will be outdated by the time it achieves airworthiness, and by the time the airframe is ten years old it'll be downright obsolete. But wait there's more! Airplane engine manufacturers still make and sell very old designs specifically to support old airframes which need new engines because the engine has to be replaced with whatever the airframe was certified with. If this Eviation airplane requires a new battery in 10 years, it'll have to be replaced with the exact same type of battery, newly manufacturerd of course because batteries don't have a shelf life anywhere near that long. Whoever designs and builds this battery will have to maintain the capacity to keep building and supporting them for decades while technology advances rapidly.

To summarize:

• The powertrain the plane is certified with is what it gets
  • You can't issue software updates without an FAA-certified upgrade program
  • You can't modify it without an STC which requires flight testing etc
  • You can't replace it with something different without converting to an experimental type certificate which makes the plane useless for commercial purposes
  • You can't even debut a new model of the airplane with new hardware without getting the whole thing certified all over again

Why all these rules? So silly people can't just slap a V8 in a 350Z and go rip through the nearest Whole Foods parking lot like a rabid animal. You can't even change an airplane's exhaust pipe without a tested and certified STC so hopefully somebody else already created what you want which is not the case with EVs since these guys are the pioneers of everything they're doing.

Yes, the rules are extremely cautious and extremely outdated. No, they're not going to change anytime soon and they probably shouldn't change much.

Edit:

Physically it sort of makes sense yes but again the problem of electric turbine engines exists. The concept sort of doesn't work because you're not creating heat by burning fuel. There simply isn't enough air density at high altitudes for a propeller to work at all. Plus, airplanes' service ceilings are also certified and the main consideration is actually how quickly it can descend from that very high altitude in an emergency depressurization situation.

I personally think the best place where jet airplanes can be made more efficient is...on the ground, not in flight. Obviously I know now, because starting and even shutting down a jet's engines is a bit of a process, but I think a hybrid system driving the main wheels is a good idea. A new airframe could be designed with a fire-protected battery bank as well as electric motors supplementing the massive brakes on the main wheels. On the ground at very busy airports, engine start can often be delayed for several minutes, and during that time the APU would be running aircon while the hybrid system would be taxiing the plane. Even in the lowly CRJ, this could save multiple hundreds of pounds of fuel per flight. Currently, best practices are to taxi on one engine as often as possible. One serious problem with this hybrid drive system is that it would increase crew workload during taxi quite a bit and could cause more delays when approaching runways for takeoff. There are several time limits to be heeded for both warmup and cooldown which complicates things also.

There really aren't any good ways to electrify jet airplanes. Electrifying the APU is probably the most effective real thing that can be done easily but again that won't happen until it's designed in a 100% new airframe. It would be impossible to modify existing planes with an electric APU.
There are some ideas around electrifying components of jet engines (ie: the compressor). One can even quickly see how the jet engine could be modified to switch between being battery assisted to being entirely powered by fuel. I have no idea whether fuel savings would actually occur, because weight is such an important factor in aviation. But there is at least in principle some room to get small increments of electrification rather than going whole hog.

A jet engine that could save a few % of fuel consumption could start the ball rolling and lead to a series of engines that slowly reduce fuel consumption as technology develops.

Last edited:
I guess the thing that bothers me about the white paper is that it's not much more than "well, just electrify all the things and store energy". I'm not seeing much that's new other than a kind of holistic energy storage plan, but without enough depth or specificity for it to be actionable or meaningful. I think I would rather see more of a conceptual breakdown on how some of these things could happen...after all that's why Tesla is/was so loved - they made the electric car real. So, Tesla, lets see your all-electric concrete production pipeline (concrete production alone is 8% of the world's C02 emissions, and this paper indicates we need a ton of it just for energy related needs, let alone the ballooning demand for it worldwide in other construction), and lets see your ideas for a short-range electric airplane and detailed use case*, lets see your novel approach to carbon neutral aviation fuel. I just see a lot of jargon and charts that I've seen for years via stuff like LEED - it feels pretty arms length away in a way that is kind of surprising for Tesla.

*What is "short range?" What is the altitude for these planes? How meaningful of an impact would it have on aviation emissions? Would people be willing to fly in low-altitude planes that encounter more turbulence? What infrastructure needs to change? Tesla is a hardcore engineering company but this paper reads more like a government agency policy outline. It's weird.

Last edited:
There are some ideas around electrifying components of jet engines (ie: the compressor). One can even quickly see how the jet engine could be modified to switch between being battery assisted to being entirely powered by fuel. I have no idea whether fuel savings would actually occur, because weight is such an important factor in aviation. But there is at least in principle some room to get small increments of electrification rather than going whole hog.

A jet engine that could save a few % of fuel consumption could start the ball rolling and lead to a series of engines that slowly reduce fuel consumption as technology develops.
It's definitely possible but above my understanding of how these things work. I'm currently wondering an electrified compressor section would even allow the engine to drive itself...perhaps an electrified compressor would eliminate the rear turbine altogether? The turbine is currently what drives the whole system from the rear forwards, very similar to a turbocharger.

Bernoulli would be in awe at what we've achieved with a simple idea.
I guess the thing that bothers me about the white paper is that it's not much more than "well, just electrify all the things and store energy". I'm not seeing much that's new other than a kind of holistic energy storage plan, but without enough depth or specificity for it to be actionable or meaningful. I think I would rather see more of a conceptual breakdown on how some of these things could happen...after all that's why Tesla is/was so loved - they made the electric car real. So, Tesla, lets see your all-electric concrete production pipeline (concrete production alone is 8% of the world's C02 emissions, and this paper indicates we need a ton of it just for energy related needs, let alone the ballooning demand for it worldwide in other construction), and lets see your ideas for a short-range electric airplane and detailed use case*, lets see your novel approach to carbon neutral aviation fuel. I just see a lot of jargon and charts that I've seen for years via stuff like LEED - it feels pretty arms length away in a way that is kind of surprising for Tesla.

*What is "short range?" What is the altitude for these planes? How meaningful of an impact would it have on aviation emissions? Would people be willing to fly in low-altitude planes that encounter more turbulence? What infrastructure needs to change? Tesla is a hardcore engineering company but this paper reads more like a government agency policy outline. It's weird.
Elon managed to pull an entire aerospace company out of his ass and make it successful so I'm surprised they haven't delved deeper into the aviation problem but it is certainly a problem. As far as I'm aware, rocketry regulation is actually less complicated than aviation.

As for usage cases, that Eviation Alice already has a pretty good argument although it's fairly specific and wouldn't be good for much else. Cape Air has preordered 75 Eviation planes and it just so happens that the plane's capabilities match Cape Air's needs rather well. They currently fly a bunch of old Cessna 402s and are currently taking delivery of many Tecnam P2012s ("the future of short haul" lol). Both of them are powered by leaded fuel, both of them have considerably longer ranges than the Eviation, both of them have higher payloads than the Eviation, both of them are slower than the Eviation, both of them are IFR certified which Eviation will struggle to do unless they can double the range, and the P2012 in particular is both more efficient than the Cessna 402 and simpler than either plane, with fixed landing gear that vastly reduces maintenance cost and increases safety.

Basically, the Eviation is an island hopper at best. It'll do great flying back and forth between Boston and Martha's Vineyard but its competition is the excellent P2012, the first new plane in the segment for like 40 years.

Last edited:
Interesting. There is less detail in the front, it looks like "normal", honestly kind of like a kit car. The headlight shape itself is fine but the whole thing is less distinctive and sorta looks like they just didn't bother styling it in any way. And it's not pretty enough to pull that off, like Mazda's very simple graphic elements.

"Their position is that because Mr. Musk is famous and might be more of a target for deep fakes, his public statements are immune. In other words, Mr. Musk, and others in his position, can simply say whatever they like in the public domain, then hide behind the potential for their recorded statements being a deep fake to avoid taking ownership of what they did actually say and do. The Court is unwilling to set such a precedent by condoning Tesla's approach here."

Tesla's claim that Musk didn't necessarily make statements on video shows the company is "still trying to have it both ways, or, perhaps put more accurately, Tesla is trying to avoid at all costs tying itself to Mr. Musk's statements or denying outright that Mr. Musk made the statements," the judge wrote.

China regulators forces Tesla to recall all Teslas sold in China due to braking and accelerator defects

Tesla Inc. recalled virtually every car it’s sold in China due to a braking and acceleration defect that may increase crash and safety risks.

The automaker will deploy an over-the-air software fix to more than 1.1 million vehicles produced in Shanghai from January 2019 to April this year, plus some models imported into China, the State Administration for Market Regulation said Friday in a statement.

The defect relates to Tesla’s regenerative braking system, which makes use of energy created when drivers take their foot off the accelerator by sending power to the car’s battery. The vehicles haven’t allowed drivers to set the intensity of their regenerative braking and don’t alert drivers when they’ve stepped on the accelerator for a long time, which raises the probability of pedal misapplication, China’s regulator said.

The software fix will enable drivers to set the intensity of their regenerative braking and adjust the factory default state of the system. The company’s cars also will start notifying drivers when they’ve pressed the accelerator for an extended period.

It's good that they're adding the ability to configure regen braking, hopefully it comes to other markets too. But I am a bit confused about the "notifying drivers when they've pressed the accelerator for an extended period". The Bloomberg article notes:

Unintended acceleration could become more common and acute with electric vehicles, which lack the noise of a revving engine that could lead a driver to more quickly realize they have pressed the wrong pedal.

Which makes sense, but also would you not notice the car accelerating? Especially when you've been pressing the accelerator for a long time?

Tesla also announced that they have cancelled production of RHD Tesla Model S and X. They will continue selling LHD models in Japan and UK, but they can't sell them in markets that require RHD such as Australia, New Zealand, or Hong Kong

It really is so much trouble continuing to put the steering wheel and pedals that aren't physically connected to anything on the other side of the interior that's already symmetrical.

Ford is adopting Teslas NACS from 2025, with access to Tesla superchargers from 2024!

The Model Y becomes the worlds top-selling car in Q1:

And equipment for Cybertruck mass production has commenced testing. These humongous front castings are from the IDRA 9000-ton giga press. There will be two of these babies installed at Giga Texas.

Last edited:
Ford is adopting Teslas NACS from 2025, with access to Tesla superchargers from 2024!

Which makes sense. Tesla has already spent all the money to build the infrastructure and at this point in the game, licensing the parts that plug into them is going to be a lot cheaper for everyone else than trying to continue to enforce their own standards (since now they can quietly reverse engineer the Tesla bits to make their own "legally distinct" version that just happens to be compatible with the charging network).

Which makes sense. Tesla has already spent all the money to build the infrastructure and at this point in the game, licensing the parts that plug into them is going to be a lot cheaper for everyone else than trying to continue to enforce their own standards (since now they can quietly reverse engineer the Tesla bits to make their own "legally distinct" version that just happens to be compatible with the charging network).
It also doesn't apply outside the USA; Tesla (like everyone else) uses CCS charging in Europe.

CCS is also trash in North America compared to NACS in addition to being on less charging stations and supported natively by far less cars. It's like how Samsung phone owners had to suffer through Micro USB 3.0 when iPhone users had the Lightning connector. I suspect once F-150 Lightnings and Mach Es start defaulting to NACS installed that it's going to be the watershed "Two hour tape" moment that kills CCS in North America. If Tesla hadn't been so arrogant with the previous technology swap mandate thing they probably could have kept I suspect all but GM and Volkswagen from ever using CCS.

Legitimately a big W for Ford to make the change.

Last edited:
It also doesn't apply outside the USA; Tesla (like everyone else) uses CCS charging in Europe.
Who operates your charging networks?

In the US the majority is Electrify America, a CCS system operated by Volkswagen, and it is the bane of EV owners across the country. Unreliable and virtually useless, false advertising galore, terrible diagsnostics, complete frustration, literally inoperable during winter. Tesla NACS superchargers are virtually flawless across the US and Canada. I imagine the port itself doesn't really matter, it's all about the hardware and software inside the unit as well as maintenance procedures. Following this decision I foresee Tesla NACS compatibility becoming the standard across the industry in North America. One of the best ways to expand EV adoption is to make it easy and Volkswagen has been incapable of providing that so far.

Bottom line is Ford has just made one of the best business decisions in the entire industry thusfar. Meanwhile, GM is advertising that they're getting rid of Apple and Android compatibility. Useless.

Who operates your charging networks?
About a dozen different companies.

The differences between UK/Europe and USA for car charging appears to be mad; it seems like the 'fastest' chargers are Tesla's 250kW/480V superchargers, but we've got 350kW/800V CCS systems.

I wonder if there's a fundamental difference because we operate our power grids at 230V@50Hz while the US power grid is 110V@60Hz.

About a dozen different companies.

The differences between UK/Europe and USA for car charging appears to be mad; it seems like the 'fastest' chargers are Tesla's 250kW/480V superchargers, but we've got 350kW/800V CCS systems.

I wonder if there's a fundamental difference because we operate our power grids at 230V@50Hz while the US power grid is 110V@60Hz.
I would lean more toward market demand than grid structure. We also have Electrify America CCS chargers advertised at 350kw but they rarely actually deliver it no matter the car's compatibility. Tesla's superchargers are genuinely slower than that but they actually deliver advertised speeds reliably.

I imagine the port itself doesn't really matter, it's all about the hardware and software inside the unit as well as maintenance procedures.
Though NACS is definitely better when CCS (and the one Nissan still uses) is such an unwieldy disaster of an interface; and the ease of use in charging by the end user shouldn't be completely dismissed.

Following this decision I foresee Tesla NACS compatibility becoming the standard across the industry in North America.
I think this has changed it to an inevitability but how long it takes depends entirely on how stubborn GM and Volkswagen both are.

Last edited:
I think this has changed it to an inevitability but how long it takes depends entirely on how stubborn GM and Volkswagen both are.
GM in particular has an incredible tolerance for losing money so it may be a while.

GM in particular has an incredible tolerance for losing money so it may be a while.
Knowing GM, they'll probably buy out Electrify America from Volkswagen and then proceed to not do any development or improvement on it for several years while marketing it as a "self-owned charging network exclusively designed for GM vehicles", and remain oblivious when the potential EV buyers insulted by such nonsense go elsewhere instead. Then ultimately the gulf will widen enough that they have no choice but to just scrap the whole thing and move to NACS, thus finally flushing all that money right down the toilet.

Back