Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown's New Monthly Newsletter Reveals More Details (But No Date)

• Thread starter Famine
  • 17 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
Of course we’re here for the cars. You’ll be able to get in, start the engine, and try the horn, and test drive (well, it is literally the name of the game) before you buy. Before being handed the keys though, you’ll need to personalize the car in terms of paint, wheels, and its interior, according to official manufacturer options for each vehicle.
Like that this small aspect of the game is back. Kind of wish Forza/GT went a little deeper with this ability to use OEM options to personalize your cars just before you purchase it.

Like that this small aspect of the game is back. Kind of wish Forza/GT went a little deeper with this ability to use OEM options to personalize your cars just before you purchase it.
Me too - this is really lacking in pretty much every modern racing game. My hope is that this game gives you that same sense of actual ownership of a vehicle that you got from the first TDU. It'd be great if home ownership returns, too.

The direct source of the newsletter could be read here

The lack of anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion in some of the screenshots is appalling lol, especially in these two screenshots

d87aabfe96813dc415e2e53c9cbce7f9111284d3.jpg

7515c0aad6196017cbd2d34c4a91b9f3cc10c586.jpg

The reflection resolution is also very low

803f6a3163dcc44a4ba3de7cec735c82165533b7.jpg

These screenshots are probably from a version of the game targeting the Series S (EDIT: I just checked their site and I forgot they're also releasing for the Switch, so it could also be for that), cause some of the other screenshots look really good, like the modern Mustang and the Apollo

472876f678afcfdc2aa22bf0925619626a10cf8a.jpg

Last edited:
I'm happy there is no release date or deadlines.
That has been the exact thing killing games at launch for the past 10 years.

Being rushed like crazy and forced to cut corners to meet deadlines set by a culmination of impatient investors who have zero understanding of development is the very thing reducing quality in games.

Having games depend entirely on updates to survive and (rarely) get all the issues ironed out through updates over years is a very sad way to exist.

The best things take time to curate.
People should seriously learn to discipline themselves to earn more patience these days, would help a lot in this frantic world.

Last edited:
My only concern is that this game will 90% be modern super and hyper cars. Not many JDM and classic muscles I guess like previous titles...
Variety and diverse car list of TDU is what made the game have its own charm.

TDU especially 1 had like supercars, hypercars, concept cars, classic cars, jdm (albeit in small number), japanese luxury cars especially lexus, oddball brands like b.engineering and farboud, hatchbacks and american muscle both new and old.

This is a refreshing attempt to engage with the community coming from Polyphony and GT7, hopefully they keep it up now, which is a lot of hoping since we went 8 months without a word.

I'm also glad to see that the dealership is retaining a lot of the features from previous TDU games. While these features aren't necessarily make or break for the game, for me it adds character to the game, and is something I was hoping to see return.

Not too fussed about the visuals, there are plenty of games trying to go for photorealism these days and I think its starting to take away from the actual gameplay of a lot of recent games with more development resources being allocated towards visuals and graphics. Poor/average graphics isn't necessarily an indicator that gameplay will be better however, only time will tell how this pans out.

I am hoping they have come up with something a little innovative though as it would be nice to see some form of evolution from TDU2 and not just a next gen skin for an old game.

At this point we're talking 3 years of development with not much to show for...the only thing that's steady it's the delays and like the article said we can already see another delay into 2024.At that point it will be facing fierce competition from The Crew Motorfest and the new Forza Horizon so it might as well be DOA....RIP TDU

At this point we're talking 3 years of development with not much to show for...the only thing that's steady it's the delays and like the article said we can already see another delay into 2024.At that point it will be facing fierce competition from The Crew Motorfest and the new Forza Horizon so it might as well be DOA....RIP TDU
You're being quite defeatist over something far less simple than you make it out to be. Consider this...
  • TDUSC is not being built off a previous TDU game and will share few assets with other KT games for obvious reasons. TDU2 released five years after TDU1 despite heavily reusing assets and the engine.
  • The Crew 2 and Forza Horizon 5 have both resulted in angry fanbases. The Crew 2's Motorpass eroded trust and enthusiasm in the game (it basically killed it for me and I haven't touched it in a year), and Playground Games' poor record when it comes to FH5 support has also made its fanbase angry. I expect The Crew Motorfest will have interest at launch but will soon be forgotten because of the inevitable microtransactions that have been shoved into and ruined The Crew 2. FH6 will certainly have a large launch but unless Playground Games has a major attitude change (spoiler alert: unless money is involved they won't) people will lose interest as is the case with FH5.
  • TDUSC is effectively a clean slate, and the problems that faced the first two games won't affect the new one - finally we might be able to drive the cars in a believable way. However many of the complaints about the current Crew and Forza Horizon games are the same ones that have been around for years, including The Crew's terrible physics and Forza Horizon's rejection of its own raison d'etre.
  • There is absolutely still interest in Test Drive Unlimited as a franchise. An assumption that it could never work alongside The Crew and Forza Horizon is clearly and demonstrably false, especially considering Forza Horizon and The Crew exist together already. The Crew 2 and FH4 launched in the same year but The Crew 2 wasn't dead on arrival. Its death was several years later. :lol: If interest in Test Drive has remained high 11 years after the last game released then the potential release of two other games in the same year absolutely will not result in the game being 'dead on arrival.'

Last edited:
You're being quite defeatist over something far less simple than you make it out to be. Consider this...
  • TDUSC is not being built off a previous TDU game and will share few assets with other KT games for obvious reasons. TDU2 released five years after TDU1 despite heavily reusing assets and the engine.
  • The Crew 2 and Forza Horizon 5 have both resulted in angry fanbases. The Crew 2's Motorpass eroded trust and enthusiasm in the game (it basically killed it for me and I haven't touched it in a year), and Playground Games' poor record when it comes to FH5 support has also made its fanbase angry. I expect The Crew Motorfest will have interest at launch but will soon be forgotten because of the inevitable microtransactions that have been shoved into and ruined The Crew 2. FH6 will certainly have a large launch but unless Playground Games has a major attitude change (spoiler alert: unless money is involved they won't) people will lose interest as is the case with FH5.
  • TDUSC is effectively a clean slate, and the problems that faced the first two games won't affect the new one - finally we might be able to drive the cars in a believable way. However many of the complaints about the current Crew and Forza Horizon games are the same ones that have been around for years, including The Crew's terrible physics and Forza Horizon's rejection of its own raison d'etre.
  • There is absolutely still interest in Test Drive Unlimited as a franchise. An assumption that it could never work alongside The Crew and Forza Horizon is clearly and demonstrably false, especially considering Forza Horizon and The Crew exist together. The Crew 2 and FH4 launched in the same year but The Crew 2 wasn't dead on arrival. Its death was several years later. :lol: If interest in Test Drive has remained high 11 years after the last game released then the potential release of two other games in the same year are absolutely will not result in the game being 'dead on arrival.'
None of your reasons explain what TDU is delivering that the other two don't. They can coexist but TDU SC isn't just a passion project, it is also here to make money like the rest.

I'm liking what I'm reading, but somehow I'm getting the hunch that they're still figuring out (or has just finished figuring out) the blueprint and isn't quite going full throttle with regard to building the game itself.

Which is not surprising since what they're working on is absolutely gigamassive, and they'll really going to need all the time they can get with this one, but I feel even early 2024 might be an optimistic estimate.

Last edited:
100% this. The lack of trim selection seems like such low hanging fruit for these games. The extra work on the cars seems so minimal vs the benefit in terms of depth. GT2 & GT4 kind of had this, but as separate cars (the "dupes").

100% this. The lack of trim selection seems like such low hanging fruit for these games. The extra work on the cars seems so minimal vs the benefit in terms of depth. GT2 & GT4 kind of had this, but as separate cars (the "dupes").
Yeah, seems like something PD could easily nail due how detail oriented they are; pick a R34, select V-Spec, M-Spec, N1, etc., then pick options unique to those models.

It would “trim” down the car list though, so you know some people would probably be upset but I think they could do it if they wanted.

Back