Test drivers in motorsport

• Thread starter brocky31
  • 63 comments
Alex Zanardi drove the Williams FW20 at a 1998 Catalunya post-season test:

t3_5nq08a

Rick Mears testing in 80 for Brabham was with in a quarter of a second off Piquet and the story goes he was offered the job, but decided to stay at Penske in the U.S. to race.

There was a second test supposedly as well in the States and he was faster than Piquet but as I said stayed with Penske

817ab0ca795df5b6b61a816e85d3f46f.jpg

Last edited:
Rick Mears testing in 80 for Brabham was with in a quarter of a second of Piquet and the story goes he was offered the job, but decided to stay at Penske in the U.S. to race.

817ab0ca795df5b6b61a816e85d3f46f.jpg

From the Motorsport.com article I read, Rick Mears had two tests with Brabham over the course of 1980: One at Paul Ricard in France and the other at Riverside Raceway in California. At the end of the Paul Ricard test he was about half a second off of Piquet's time, but at the end of the Riverside test Mears was faster than Piquet.

Ultimately, though he and Brabham boss Bernie Ecclestone came to terms for a contract for 1981, Mears chose not to pursue it and stayed at Team Penske.

From the Motorsport.com article I read, Rick Mears had two tests with Brabham over the course of 1980: One at Paul Ricard in France and the other at Riverside Raceway in California. At the end of the Paul Ricard test he was about half a second off of Piquet's time, but at the end of the Riverside test Mears was faster than Piquet.

Ultimately, though he and Brabham boss Bernie Ecclestone came to terms for a contract for 1981, Mears chose not to pursue it and stayed at Team Penske.

Yeah I have that in my post about both tests, not sure why it didn't come through on your end. As for the half or quarter second, the story Mears tells is that he was a quarter second slower than Piquet at the French track he'd never driven. And was faster than Piquet at the track in California. The rest echoes my post...I'm confused.

Ralf Schumacher testing for McLaren in early 1996. Jordan signed him in September of that year to drive in 1997.

B6cGAhAIUAArMSD.jpg

Nigel Mansell looking for a drive in 1997 by testing for Jordan in late 1996.

Jordan eventually settled on Giancarlo Fisichella, buying out his Minardi contract.

mansell-1996-teste-jordan-catalunha1.jpg

In an alternate reality Jordan's 1997 line-up could have been Ralf Schumacher and Nigel Mansell.

Or possibly even Martin Brundle and Nigel Mansell.

Last edited:
A Williams-BMW might have done that. At the time the BMW was by far the quickest engine.

Bruno Senna testing for Honda in 2008. He almost got the Brawn drive, but they decided to go with experience in Barrichello.

f1-barcelona-november-testing-2008-bruno-senna-test-driver-honda-racing-f1-team.jpg

Gil de Ferran testing with Footwork at the Autodromo do Estoril, 1993

00340831.jpg

Scott Dixon testing with Williams, 2004

indycarf1test-dixon2.jpg

dixon8.jpg

Tom Kristensen testing with Minardi...

2e50ew3.png

CyxEhTGWgAYG9Wt.jpg

... Williams ...

CzZb_3FWIAAbXLV.jpg

... and Tyrrell

tk-tyrrell.jpg

ImageCp.aspx

Anyone else looking through this thread and realizing the vast majority of F1 cars in the past 20 years have been friggin' heinous? :D

Back