TH8RS, DSD, etc. to Fanatec Adapter - BasherBoards SFA1

• Thread starter mrbasher
  • 366 comments
I like how you keep the focus on quality of materials used as well as the overal reliability of your products. I wish all manufacturers in the world did that for a change, but sadly they don't.

Thank you for noticing Logi :D

There are a lot of reasons for that... Some of it is my pride at work. Some of it is because I know what it's like dealing with JUNK and not ever wanting to subject other people to such things. I want the people that buy my stuff to think "This guy gives a damn..."

That said, I'm a one man show... Could you imagine the support nightmare if I put out stuff that didn't work??? No thanks lol

Well, I give you a +100 for giving a damn. :D
I think your products will last a lifetime. Which means they will still be around (in working order) by the time nobody knows anymore what these little old boxes with (by then) ancient electronics. lol
Which is the way I like it if I may add. 👍

ps. I took a sneak peek at the SFA1 as I was curious about your skills, but its looks very purdy inside. Awesome soldering skills! :drool:

I often tell people that ask about a warranty "The equipment connected to it will die before it does... If it ever dies, I will replace it. Exceptions to are: your dog ate it, you ran over it with a car, dropped it in the toilet, tried to start your car with it, etc."

Thank you for noticing my soldering :) When I make my stuff, I assume someone will be opening it at some point and looking at it... Much like you have... hehe I'd like to have used all surface mount components but some things must overlap between products. The capacitors and resistors for instance are the same ones that are used on my pedal filters. However, SMD chips were used for the DACs and MCU to save space. I really enjoy designing the boards, though I'm an amateur at it really. When they are done they always look like art to me.

If you want a really nice iron for cheap... I use the Hakko FX-888 which has since been replaced by a digital version the FX-888D. (I don't know if the digital one is better or worst) A decent iron and nice solder will do WONDERS for your abilities...

Now I better close the SFA1 before my imaginary pet eats it (no pets or kids in the house, so opening it is safe). lol

I think the board has been designed properly from what I have seen through the ages in building PC's and so forth. The leads are all layed out efficiently and so forth.
I really like it and it indeed is a piece of electro engineers art. At least it looks more like art to me like most stuff 'artists' come up with these days. Yesterday I saw on the TV a lady who made some art. A glass box in which the glass panels were smashed with a brick. And further in the program she showed a brick on a pedestal painted in a gold color (like a gold bar). AND SHE CALLED IT ART!!! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhh!
Seriously, either I am stupid/silly/whatever or a lot of these so called artists are nutjobs. I will never understand their 'art' in a hundred lifetimes or more.

As for the iron. It certainly looks better than what I have.
I have currently got a Velleman VTSS4. Which is only a 48watt model (not the most ideal)

http://www.dadaelectronics.eu/shop/tools/soldering/velleman-vtss4-adjustable-soldering-station

The picture I posted is not a change to the midnight opening.. It's a separate switch that allows users to connect both sequential and gated shifters to their wheel. The shifter type doesn't matter. It can be two Fanatec shifters, two SFA1's, etc.

Don't worry, you didn't purchase your SFA1 too early, the SFA1 hardware will not be changing anytime soon as I can't see a necessity for that.

As for the material, the top and bottom will likely be some form of acrylic. The reason for this is to keep cost down and because it looks kind of cool. Acrylic, while not scratch proof, is resistant enough for these purposes. There are also LEDs inside that you won't be able to see if the top was not somewhat clear.

What are your concerns about the plastic top?

I could make them out of aluminum, but nobody would want to pay for them... ;)

Looks awsome from my point of view, and will be first inline at the midnight release. This and the handbrake connector when available :dopey:

Actually... :)

This is something I plan to release soon and it will be useful for that among other things:

That looks like a neat piece if kit - great work as always!

I fully understand you not wanting to release something that will be unreliable & support that approach!

I've got csr elite pedals just now but would get a cable later if I upgrade.

So, if I'm looking at this correctly I can connect my th8rs and fanatec sequential shifter to the switch box, connect the switch box to the sfa1 and then that back to the wheel?

My sfa1 is tucked away under my pedals just now so I'd need a cable long enough to go from the switch located at the wheel back down to the pedals. Does that tie in with your plans for cables?

Cheers

So, if I'm looking at this correctly I can connect my th8rs and fanatec sequential shifter to the switch box, connect the switch box to the sfa1 and then that back to the wheel?

My sfa1 is tucked away under my pedals just now so I'd need a cable long enough to go from the switch located at the wheel back down to the pedals. Does that tie in with your plans for cables?

Cheers

Connecting the SFA1/TH8RS and Fanatec sequential (to use both as shifters) would look like this:

Code:
TH8RS---SFA1---|      |
               |SWITCH|------- Wheel
Fanatec Seq.---|      |

Oh man Jon, if you keep releasing stuff like that I might consider a third SFA1 :D
Just have to find the right H shifter. TSW could do the trick ;)
Keep us posted!

Just a little update, I just finished working with a customer to add the Lightning SST shifter to the adapter firmware. I am giving it about a week of him testing it before it will be added officially.

The TSW shifter is also in the works, both gated and sequential.

The Lightning SST shifter is now fully supported and will be be included in the firmware of all adapters purchased going forward, starting today.

Last edited:
MrBasher,

a big shoutout to you all the way from Europe, Vienna/Austria to be exact :)
I have an issue and hope to find my answers here with you. Currently i use a Fanatec GT2, with CS Pedals v2 and just ordered a used TH8RS shifter with one of your adapters off of someone who resold it since he then didnt need it afterall.... long story short, i am happy that people like you invent stuff for people like me, who want to play DIRT3 on the PC and Forza4 on the Xbox.

However, above all, i currently need an E-brake for my setup and it seems the ARC TEAM E-brake is the weapon of choice here which uses a USB setup. Now is there anyway that i could use a USB device with your adapter to be able to use the E-brake on the xbox?

IF NOT, i know there is an TH8RS mod to use it as an e-brake, now could i possibly use TWO (2) TH8RS Shifters simultaneously to have one act as a shifter and the other one act as an e-brake? Perhaps with two of your adaptors or maybe you can invent something... i dont know but i can tell you its a big deal for plenty of people and we all desperate.

Funny thing is that i am in real life actually a drifter for the Austria Drift Challenge Series, i have a 350Z with all bells and whisles but it seems my car wont be ready due to some electronic issues for this years season so i would really love to substitute my fun at least at home until the car gets ready sometime in summer. Please help and i would love and promote your solutions in Europe.

here is the e-brake i was talking about btw: http://www.f1driving.it/ecommerce/en/handbrake/product/29-race-handbrake-2013-usb

big fan. keep it up.
look forward to your reply.

regards
Alex L.

Last edited:
Alex,

Thank you for asking here, that is a very good question. :) Please remember too that even though you purchased the adapter from someone else, the support will follow the device. If you ever need any help with it personally you can contact me via the contact form on my site: http://www.basherboards.com/contact

However, I don't want you to feel as though you should have done that instead of posting here. Posting here is great so others can see.

To answer your question. As long as the ARC handbrake shows up as a gaming controller within Windows, I can be almost certain I can interface with it using the SFA1. The SFA1 can then be connected to your CSP V2 set (on the handbrake port) using a cable I can make for you. Several other people are doing this with a TH8RS right now (in analog mode).

If you would like, you can purchase another SFA1 to use specifically for this purpose. Then you will not need to switch anything out and can use your shifter at the same time.

As with anything else that isn't already supported on the SFA1... If it's a USB device and follows standard protocols, it's very likely I can make the SFA1 read it's output. All that is necessary is that I obtain some information from the device (such as the ARC handbrake) and then add it to the firmware so it will be recognized by the adapter.

I hope this helps. :)

Sincerely,

Jon

It doesn't really need saying but I'll say it anyway. This is one of the best if not best invention for sim racing fans ever. The ability to mix and match what is perfect for you can not be understated. Kudos to Basher.

Mayaman,

Thank you very much. :)

However, I cannot take credit for the idea to connect a USB shifter to a Fanatec wheel. The person that came up with the InterfaceOne board. (great name btw) Dave I believe his name is, deserves that honor. I waited quite some time to see if he would start making his boards again and he did not. I finally decided to just do my own, and here we are. :)

The SFA1 is quite a bit different and uses different hardware as well, inside and out. It is also a little more flexible given the components that I use.

Anyhow, I just wanted to mention that. I don't want to take credit for the original idea. It's execution however, I will take credit for. ;)

Just a minor update...

Previously I was asked on several occasions if I could get the TH8RS handbrake functionality to work with the SFA1 and Clubsport pedals... Well, I can and I did... With the help of Spike! You can read about his project here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=265216

I will post some more details on this after further testing. However, thus far it is apparently working great for him. He has only tested in the Forza series thus far. This functionality will NOT work in GT5 as the Fanatec wheel simply emulates a Logitech wheel.

I'm a bit confused. Can I run both the TH8rs and fanatec sequential shifter simultaneously with one used as my manual shifter and the other as an ebrake?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I can use my TH8rs connected to the SFA1 connected to my wheel, while at the same time, use my sequential shifter as a handbrake which is connected to my CSPs.

How does the switch connect to this?

Last edited:
Agreed Basher Dave was very good to me when my interfaceone broke. Wonder what happened to him. I still have the interfaceone.

Just went to your site, Basher.
I saw the notice banner and just had to say... have a great long weekend/vacation! It's well deserved. :)

I'm a bit confused. Can I run both the TH8rs and fanatec sequential shifter simultaneously with one used as my manual shifter and the other as an ebrake?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I can use my TH8rs connected to the SFA1 connected to my wheel, while at the same time, use my sequential shifter as a handbrake which is connected to my CSPs.

How does the switch connect to this?

Here is how what you are describing would be accomplished:

TH8RS --> SFA1 #1 --> Wheel (for shifting)

TH8RS --> SFA1 #2 --> Clubsport Pedals for handbrake

OR...

Fanatec sequential shifter -- Clubsport Pedals for handbrake

If the sequential shifter is used, the handbrake would be ON/OFF I would need to make a special cable in both situations in order to make the connection to the handbrake port on the Clubsport pedals.

Just went to your site, Basher.
I saw the notice banner and just had to say... have a great long weekend/vacation! It's well deserved. :)

Logi,

Thank you! :D

We hardly ever go anywhere on vacation...

I'm excited about the trip. We are going to Vegas for part of it and taking some super cars around a race track there. :D I choose to drive the 458 Italia. My girlfriend is going to drive the LP570-4 Superleggera.

On that note, if anyone wants to order something, you'd better get it done before Friday night... If you don't, you could have to wait up to a week for your order to ship. ;)

Nope, but I'm within walking distance of it. ;) I might get a job there one day, we'll see...

Logi,

Thank you! :D

We hardly ever go anywhere on vacation...

I'm excited about the trip. We are going to Vegas for part of it and taking some super cars around a race track there. :D I choose to drive the 458 Italia. My girlfriend is going to drive the LP570-4 Superleggera.

On that note, if anyone wants to order something, you'd better get it done before Friday night... If you don't, you could have to wait up to a week for your order to ship. ;)

Here is to hoping you have a GoPro for your Ferrari experience as well as your girlfriend's Lamborghini experience. 👍
Sounds like a blissful break though. Enjoy!

Oh and I am still looking for a brake pressure sensor, but I don't think you have any of those around. :P
On that note though. Got my Arduino Uno to work for PS3 and PC with the UnoJoy opensource project. Though I might get an Arduino Mega as this emulates two PS3 controllers and use it for a nice PS3 compatible button box as well. :D

Anyways, no order from me for now.

Last edited:
Here is how what you are describing would be accomplished:

TH8RS --> SFA1 #2 --> Clubsport Pedals for handbrake

OR...

Fanatec sequential shifter -- Clubsport Pedals for handbrake

If the sequential shifter is used, the handbrake would be ON/OFF I would need to make a special cable in both situations in order to make the connection to the handbrake port on the Clubsport pedals.

Thanks for the clarification. You are a gent.

I am definitely interested in buying a cable. I will contact you on your website.

Yes that's pretty cool :) Apparently, they will be reviewing each of my things separately. :)

Exciting for me.

Hey Jon, nice going on the ISR "review" 👍, hope they'll do a proper review where they are little more familiar with your awesome products.

Back