Thanks PD

• Thread starter Cssgareth
  • 60 comments
United Kingdom
England
cssgareth1987
I just wanted to start a little thread with my thoughts on what was revealed last night on GT7.

As a long time follower of GT Planet and it's forums it's pretty acceptable to say that a large portion of the fans of Gran Turismo were disappointed when GT Sport was announced as it was something never seen before on a GT branded game. The shift away from campaign mode left a large portion of fans feeling a little left out and pretty quickly PD shipped an update bringing in a simple campaign mode to appease the masses, myself included.

One of the largest criticisms of PD from the past was the fact that you could never know for sure if they kept their ear to the ground and listened to their fans. GT Sport showed a shift away from the walled-off PD into something that actually took feedback on board and brought features and cars into the game that people wanted.

As a business owner myself (of a development agency), I know how difficult it can be to shift from one way of working to another and I have huge respect for PD transitioning to a company that's more open and receptive to fans views. PD can never be fully transparent about what they're doing due to the nature of the game development; it takes the fizz and bang out of a game if you know everything about it before it's released!

I know there's a few thread flying around with disgruntled gamers saying it's nothing but a GT Sport + but personally, I want to say thanks to PD for listening and bringing back the Gran Turismo that the majority of us love.

Thanks for showing off Trial mountain on the game reveal, that's a really nice touch.
Thanks for bringing back a decent campaign mode
Thanks for bringing back proper car tuning, some of us used to spend HOURS tinkering with cars and this is a very welcome addition
Thanks for showcasing a much better lighting environment with better rendering of shadows and textures
Thanks for bringing back used cars - no-doubt this will bring back countless memories for those that have played every version (like me!)

And finally, thanks for listening PD. It can't be pleasant reading some of the comments made about GT Sport online, but I feel that if they give GT 7 the same love and attention that they've given GT Sport since it's launch, GT 7 is going to be worth waiting for. I've got goose-pimples just thinking about it.

p.s. if you need another Beta tester like you did for GT Sport, count me in.

The most important factor is going to be the AI. If they're still slow and events are still all catch the rabbit it's a non-starter.

I think it’s almost a given it will be. All previous titles have been and I don’t see them changing it now after all these years.
What’s important here imo is that they at least keep the alternative custom race AI from GT Sport. Whilst still not the fastest it offers a much more racey offline experience.
It is entirely possible to set up a decent offline race in GT Sport using the custom race feature.
But I’m sure the chase the rabbit experience will be the same for the campaign mode.

This is my way to say "thank you PD" ♥

I know, we just saw very few stuff (and we will see more in the future), but it was MORE than enough to keep us hooked, if it's ps5 launch or not I don't care, but the most important thing is GT is back!! ♥

I think it’s almost a given it will be. All previous titles have been and I don’t see them changing it now after all these years.
What’s important here imo is that they at least keep the alternative custom race AI from GT Sport. Whilst still not the fastest it offers a much more racey offline experience.
It is entirely possible to set up a decent offline race in GT Sport using the custom race feature.
But I’m sure the chase the rabbit experience will be the same for the campaign mode.
Well, in GTS they finally changed the car sound and added livery editor so probably they can too for AI if they put the effort and focus on them.

I agree! GT7 looks amazing. At first, my thoughts were 'ok, this *looks* good, but what type of game will it be? Then I saw that menu and it just brought a smile to my face. I own GT Sport, and I've spent a fair amount of hours on it. But..... I really don't enjoy racing online with strangers. My favorite things are putting parts on cars, and setting up rooms for my friends, usually with odd parameters, and GT Sport didn't lend itself to that.

I'm not here to bash the game, I know a lot of people enjoyed it. Just not for me. Project Cars has been my go-to this gen. And I've played every iteration of GT up until this point. So, I'm just happy to see some nods to old school GT games. The two things I really hope for are to keep the livery editor and giving some good options for setting up lobbies, like GT6 had.

And thank you for posting a thank you post instead of the usual whining that a lot are doing. I honestly thought I wouldn't be playing GT anymore, but this may just make me buy a PS5 relatively early on

I agree! GT7 looks amazing. At first, my thoughts were 'ok, this *looks* good, but what type of game will it be? Then I saw that menu and it just brought a smile to my face. I own GT Sport, and I've spent a fair amount of hours on it. But..... I really don't enjoy racing online with strangers. My favorite things are putting parts on cars, and setting up rooms for my friends, usually with odd parameters, and GT Sport didn't lend itself to that.

I'm not here to bash the game, I know a lot of people enjoyed it. Just not for me. Project Cars has been my go-to this gen. And I've played every iteration of GT up until this point. So, I'm just happy to see some nods to old school GT games. The two things I really hope for are to keep the livery editor and giving some good options for setting up lobbies, like GT6 had.

And thank you for posting a thank you post instead of the usual whining that a lot are doing. I honestly thought I wouldn't be playing GT anymore, but this may just make me buy a PS5 relatively early on

Thank you for saying thank you about my thank you post :D

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

This. We haven’t seen much to suggest that it isn’t largely GT Sport rearranged with some nods to the past. It wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing, but we shouldn’t get too excited for a good old sandbox campaign just yet.

Last edited:
And thank you to all the people that did complain and weren't happy about GT Sport. There have been a fair amount yes men and it has been quite sad to see people accept this desolate version of GT.

But... That will be only 1 GT game for PS4. A ridiculous experiment that has many failings.

Made me spent on getting PS4 Pro, G29 and shifter, and GTS ... And now all that may be obsolete with PS5 coming...

I am not going to fall for it again..., Like I said before, no matter how good GT7 will be, i will be missing out on it for a few years... Not going to jump on the band wagon right away...

And thank you to all the people that did complain and weren't happy about GT Sport. There have been a fair amount yes men and it has been quite sad to see people accept this desolate version of GT.

But... That will be only 1 GT game for PS4. A ridiculous experiment that has many failings.

GT-Sport is still being played, everyday by many many players, it is a huge success.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've seen nothing of the campaign mode yet, other than some placeholder menus.

The most important factor is going to be the AI. If they're still slow and events are still all catch the rabbit it's a non-starter.

To me, the most egregious issues with the campaign mode won't probably ever be fixed because Poliphony probably has zero interest in doing it and masses of fans keep dragging them back to Clubman Cup style of single player: short races, fields mixing cars that have no business racing together, next to zero motorsport rules (qualifying, flags and so on) and etc. A greatly revamped AI would be nice, but it would be also next to irrelevant in a traditional GT campaign - for me, at least.

I mean, after all those years, people are still invested in getting the same kind of car, doing the same races - sometimes down to the location, number of laps, field and next to zero challenge - just with shiny graphics? I really struggle to understand why people love that formula of GT's single player so much. It surely isn't for the racing, so is it just for the car collectathon?

PD listening? How about more authentic car sounds, an attempt to introduce decent AI & FFB that you can feel? PD always makes a beautiful elegant game, but they don't ever seem to take on board the basic desires of many, many GT players. It's frustrating that much smaller developers manage to create more convincing sims with a fraction of the budget & manpower.

"Thanks for theoretically doing all this stuff in this game potentially years from release that they still may catastrophically screw up since they've done nothing to show they ever actually learned from people complaining about it over the past decade."

Though I understand that wouldn't have fit in the thread title.

To me, the most egregious issues with the campaign mode won't probably ever be fixed because Poliphony probably has zero interest in doing it and masses of fans keep dragging them back to Clubman Cup style of single player: short races, fields mixing cars that have no business racing together, next to zero motorsport rules (qualifying, flags and so on) and etc. A greatly revamped AI would be nice, but it would be also next to irrelevant in a traditional GT campaign - for me, at least.

I mean, after all those years, people are still invested in getting the same kind of car, doing the same races - sometimes down to the location, number of laps, field and next to zero challenge - just with shiny graphics? I really struggle to understand why people love that formula of GT's single player so much. It surely isn't for the racing, so is it just for the car collectathon?

Indeed.

Gran Turismo 1 > GT League > Sunday Cup > Autumn Ring Mini > 2 laps

Gran Turismo 6 > Career Mode > Sunday Cup > Autumn Ring Mini > 3 laps

15 years of "progress".

I really don't know why people seem to want the exact same thing over and over. Sure, on the other hand nobody wants or expects them to change GT into Need For Speed, it needs to retain its identity, but they just keep copy pasting the exact same thing.

They even did it with GTS. I remember when they first announced GT League in GTS, and it appeared from the promo images to be just the same old same old again. I came here and said as much and was met with "Just wait and see, it might change, it might be different. They may be more stuff they've not shown yet". Spoiler. They didn't. It was the exact same thing, but even worse because of no tuning and no real progression.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've seen nothing of the campaign mode yet, other than some placeholder menus.

Hey, come on man, quit racing the robots, and race real people.

BTW: great to see you man, haven't seen a post of yours in ages. You might like to know, I thought GT7 would be a PS4 game. PD screwed me.

I got two decent GT games on my PS. I got two really good games on my PS2. I got two great online GT games on my PS3.

Then I buy a PS4 and all I got was Sport. It was just a half baked, crap game.

I am going to be very cautious before buying into a new Playstation.

I thought GT7 would be a PS4 game. PD screwed me.

Hey dude, looks like I missed that bet with you. :lol:

Haven't visited the site during GTS, didn't seem much point posting about a game I don't have or desire to play. Mind you I only bought a PS4 about a year ago anyway, but still no GTS. Feels weird not having one, but it is what it is. Maybe one day online gaming will appeal to me, but today is not that day.

Hey, come on man, quit racing the robots, and race real people.

BTW: great to see you man, haven't seen a post of yours in ages. You might like to know, I thought GT7 would be a PS4 game. PD screwed me.

I got two decent GT games on my PS. I got two really good games on my PS2. I got two great online GT games on my PS3.

Then I buy a PS4 and all I got was Sport. It was just a half baked, crap game.

I am going to be very cautious before buying into a new Playstation.

I was going to say same here, but my story is slightly different, because it would seem i have always bought the console way way later after the consoles first released.

I got the PSone just because of GT2.
I got the PS2 just because of GT4.
My OG fatty PS3 is the only PS I bought on day one, and the only PS I bought more than 1 GT game: because of GT5 Prologue, GT5 And GT6.
I finally got the PS4 Pro two years ago just because of GTS, but mainly in anticipation for the next full size GT game...

Will GT7 be playable on PS4?

A lot of you don't want it, but I really do wish...

Last edited:
I was going to say same here, but my story is slightly different.

I got the PSone just because of GT2.
I got the PS2 just because of GT4.
I got the OG fatty PS3 on day one because of GT5 Prologue, GT5 And GT6.
I finally got the PS4 just because of GTS, but mainly in anticipation for the next full size GT game...

A lot of you don't want it, but I really do wish...

If it were another studio's game we're talking about, I'd say it was possible. But given who we're talking about, and their reluctance to outsource any major development work, I can't see them being able to pull off a competent dual system release before the next ice age. Plus it's not really how Sony does things with their first party games. Are there any examples? I can't think of any.

Maybe they'll add some sort of final update to GTS though, which serves as a teaser to GT7.

I've bought the PS4 pretty much on release, but wasn't interested on GTSport. Picked it up last year and I like it because they really tried something different (welp, for a while, at least, then they got bogged down on all the rage by fans demanding Gran Turismo 2), but there are things to like about it. It's well done, Lago Maggiore GP needs to be built in real life and the livery editor is huge amounts of fun.

The infuriating thing is that the sheer fact that they have tried something new made me all hopeful about GT7.

I'm 100% sure that it won't.

If it were another studio's game we're talking about, I'd say it was possible. But given who we're talking about, and their reluctance to outsource any major development work, I can't see them being able to pull off a competent dual system release before the next ice age. Plus it's not really how Sony does things with their first party games. Are there any examples? I can't think of any.

Maybe they'll add some sort of final update to GTS though, which serves as a teaser to GT7.

I follow game related news and Sony has been pretty vocal about the generation shift and that games for PS4 will run on PS5, but games made with the PS5 in mind won't be getting a PS4 version.

GT7 was announced on a future of PlayStation showcasing PS5 games, so...

Last edited:
I really don't know why people seem to want the exact same thing over and over.
Because people like it. Because for them, it's fun. I really don't understand why so many people can't fathom why people had fun with older Gran Turismos on a Gran Turismo forum. And they'll have the Sport Mode available anyway, so you can get punted of the track and get a penalty to boot and then still wonder why people prefer the old ways.

Because people like it. Because for them, it's fun. I really don't understand why so many people can't fathom why people had fun with older Gran Turismos on a Gran Turismo forum. And they'll have the Sport Mode available anyway, so you can get punted of the track and get a penalty to boot and then still wonder why people prefer the old ways.

I don't want Sport Mode. I didn't buy GTS. I want a solid offline game, I just don't want the exact copy/paste thing over and over again.

It will be a blast to play a more old school gt. My hopes for these endurance races make me the happiest. Having a tuned used car and race for two hours managing your tires.... awesome.

Can’t wait to see what tracks will be included. As it seems now, it’s going to be an awesome list!

I hope it’ll release sooner than later.

"Many many players"...

That's some accurate numbers there Yes Man!

It's is a success in monetary terms. As a game it's unquestionably the worst GT so far with potential and technology taken into account. That's why GT7 is back to the way it should be. Again thanks to people that spoke up.

GT-Sport is still being played, everyday by many many players, it is a huge success.

"Many many players"...

That's some accurate numbers there Yes Man!

It's is a success in monetary terms. As a game it's unquestionably the worst GT so far with potential and technology taken into account. That's why GT7 is back to the way it should be. Again thanks to people that spoke up.

You have absolutely NO PROOF that the people who 'spoke up' about GT Sport have anything to do with the way GT7 will eventually turn out. None. The same people 'spoke up' years ago screaming for damage in one of the earlier games (GT5 maybe?), Kaz responded by delaying the game to implement it, and in the end nobody cared. The same people screamed that the penalty system was horrible in GTS, the more PD have responded and tried to fix it, the worse it got.

I'm of the opinion the Kaz is deliberately cryptic and misleading because it irritates those who feel they are entitled to have an input. There are far more examples of Kaz ignoring the fanbase than being responsive to it. The evidence suggests that PD do what they want, period. Most of your points about the same old chase the rabbit career mode are proof of this.

PD flat-out told us GTS was an experiment, and it worked. People are still playing 3 years later, AND with Covid and the huge rise in the worldwide profile of online racing, I'd say they were ahead of the curve and prepared for the future, no? It's far from perfect, but here we all are waiting for GT7, the follow-up to GT6.

It's not called GT8 or GT World or any other title. It's called GT7 for a reason-it's the next installment in the traditional GT series, which GTS was never supposed to be. Love it, hate it-whatever. We will get what they want to make. I have a hard time believing Kaz cares what any of us think, and good for him.

Back