The '13 driver transfer discussion/speculation thread op updated 16/10

• Thread starter F1 fan
  • 2,521 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't seem like they're in a hurry to replace Massa, so I doubt he will be out after Monaco.

Like one race makes peoples mind up regardless of past results (this goes both ways - I'm looking at you Peter).
Hey, I am looking at past results.

Spain was perhaps Senna's worst weekend to date. But, like I said, it's not his only bad weekend. There have been other costly mistakes, too. Even if we take Peter.'s advice and only consider Senna's results from 2011 onwards, his track record is unimpressive to say the least.

1) At Spa, he qualified seventh and then ran into Jaime Alguersuari at La Source.

2) At Suzuka, he qualified ninth and finished sixteenth.

3) At Interlagos, he tangled with Schumacher while running in the points, and was given a drive-through for causing an avoidable accident.

4) At Sepang, he lost his front wing on the opening lap, and only recovered because the team decided to put him on wets.

5) In Bahrain, his final Q2 lap was quick enough to put him as high as sixth on the grid until he over-cooked it going into Turn 13, and he had to settle for sixteenth.

6) In Barcelona, he spun out at the end of Q1 and generally underperformed in comparison to Maldonado.

So, in thirteen races, he's made six major mistakes. That's nearly one mistake every other race, and I'm not even counting the number of times he was involved in an on-track incident that he didn't directly cause. I'm having a really difficult time seeing how any team principal could tolerate this for much longer.

You're not seriously suggesting that Ferrari take Senna in place of Massa, are you? At best, it's a straight swap - one under-performing Brazilian for another.

You're not seriously suggesting that Ferrari take Senna in place of Massa, are you? At best, it's a straight swap - one under-performing Brazilian for another.

There is a small diference between the two... one pays to race and the other gets payed...

prisonermonkeys

One has inconsistently finished higher then his teammate in races (3-2), while the other has consistently been destroyed by his teammate.

And I'm guessing that Bruno's money could help Ferrari more then the points Massa scores.

Though it's true, they are both underpreforming, and they're are so many people I'd rather see driving for Ferrari (Kubica, Sutil, Perez, Myself)

Ferrari's problem isn't a lack of money. They're Ferrari. Of all the teams on the grid, they're the least-likely to have money troubles. And whatever problems they do have, they're not going to be fixed by a sudden injection of cash.

prisonermonkeys
Ferrari's problem isn't a lack of money. They're Ferrari. Of all the teams on the grid, they're the least-likely to have money troubles. And whatever problems they do have, they're not going to be fixed by a sudden injection of cash.

No, but money still helps. If I ran Ferrari I'd take Bruno over Felipe regardless of money, though I wouldn't tell Bruno that. I'd ask him how much sponsership money can you give us? He'd say ______$. I'd tell him to try and find another million and you've got the seat. He'd find the money and get the seat, and occasionally beat Fernando. Use the money to convince to try and convince Adrian Newey to work for Ferrari, or spend it on reserching upgrades illegally :)

For 2013 I'd hire Kubica (if he was good to go).

jcm
No, but money still helps. If I ran Ferrari I'd take Bruno over Felipe regardless of money, though I wouldn't tell Bruno that. I'd ask him how much sponsership money can you give us? He'd say ______$. I'd tell him to try and find another million and you've got the seat. He'd find the money and get the seat, and occasionally beat Fernando. Use the money to convince to try and convince Adrian Newey to work for Ferrari, or spend it on reserching upgrades illegally :)

For 2013 I'd hire Kubica (if he was good to go).

I'd take Alguersuari...

jcm
No, but money still helps. If I ran Ferrari I'd take Bruno over Felipe regardless of money, though I wouldn't tell Bruno that.
The only way I can see that being a viable strategy for Ferrari would be if their only options were to take Senna or keep Massa. Even then, in their shoes I'd still be inclined to keep Massa.

Don't think there's a better place to post this. Adrian Sutil "My F1 career isn't over". Going to have to disagree with him. With an attitude like that, I think he'll be hard pressed to find a seat. Don't get me wrong, he's talented, but when you take into consideration the potential bad publicity he brings, is he really worth it over a well rated rookie with a substantial sponsorship deal?

Hey, I am looking at past results.

Spain was perhaps Senna's worst weekend to date. But, like I said, it's not his only bad weekend. There have been other costly mistakes, too. Even if we take Peter.'s advice and only consider Senna's results from 2011 onwards, his track record is unimpressive to say the least.

1) At Spa, he qualified seventh and then ran into Jaime Alguersuari at La Source.

2) At Suzuka, he qualified ninth and finished sixteenth.

3) At Interlagos, he tangled with Schumacher while running in the points, and was given a drive-through for causing an avoidable accident.

4) At Sepang, he lost his front wing on the opening lap, and only recovered because the team decided to put him on wets.

5) In Bahrain, his final Q2 lap was quick enough to put him as high as sixth on the grid until he over-cooked it going into Turn 13, and he had to settle for sixteenth.

6) In Barcelona, he spun out at the end of Q1 and generally underperformed in comparison to Maldonado.

So, in thirteen races, he's made six major mistakes. That's nearly one mistake every other race, and I'm not even counting the number of times he was involved in an on-track incident that he didn't directly cause. I'm having a really difficult time seeing how any team principal could tolerate this for much longer.

I'm not joining this silly argument - all I'm pointing out is that people suddenly like to make broad statements after a race like this when otherwise they remain rather quiet on the subject. I'm well aware you like to repeatedly make a point on Senna - I wasn't aiming my comment on people only referring to one race at you in particular.
"Only as good as your last race" certainly comes to mind - at least for me I feel Senna hasn't really proved himself yet but nor has he really been terrible. Let the guy have a full proper season in a decent team!

After this year, sure, fire the man. I don't think he should be fired on the spot for one race (and an inconsistent past) though and I would have thought his decent finishes the past couple of races would have meant something.

And before we start on the "well he's had loads of chances". Please, a full season in a reliable and competitive car is 1 chance. A season in an unreliable car and half a season in a mediocre car hardly count as proper chances. Lets see this season out first before we start the tirades, eh?

There is also someone else......who is free, who is employed by a F1 team who are prepared to let him go for the rest of the season.....

Jerome D'ambrosio !!!!

I'm sceptical. D'Ambrosio is working with Lotus, and the only people claiming he's in the running for the seat are his fellow Belgians.

If so, I'd say the drought will be short-lived. I'm pretty sure Felipe Nasr will join Formula 1 in the near future.

Sutil will be sucked up, eventually by the WEC/ELMS/Blancpain. He wants to be a professional driver, when less than half the F1 teams are able to do that. Unless he lands a spot at Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, or Mercedes (Which seems most likely out of that lot.. Schumacher steps out, Sutil steps in) he will have to drive for free or start to pay up.

Im curious about Webber... isnt his contract up this year?

Im curious about Webber... isnt his contract up this year?

Technically, yes, but he's only been given one year at a time since at least 2009. I wouldn't read too much into his contract.

Really?

Sergio Perez doesn't seem to think so. In fact, given the chance to replace Massa this year, he would say no

Obviously he isn't going to go around saying "Oh yeah, I'm racing at Ferrari next year. Watch out, Fernando!", Thus pissing Sauber off, and then when Ferrari keeps Massa another year, Perez ends up on the outside looking in.

And I'm not surprised he wouldnt switch Mid-year. Sauber gave him a podium, no reason to think they cant do it again. Changing teams mid-year strikes me as an awfully Un-gentlemanly thing to do.

Looks like Mclaren don't want to let Hamilton go. It seems they're going to offer him a deal too lucrative to put down, something along the lines of the current Ferrari/Alonso contract.

Info here.

Looks like Mclaren don't want to let Hamilton go. It seems they're going to offer him a deal too lucrative to put down, something along the lines of the current Ferrari/Alonso contract.

Info here.

If only I could earn that much. :grumpy:

Looks like Mclaren don't want to let Hamilton go.
I don't think there was any real substance to reports he would leave the team. Most of the rumours that arose last year suggesting he would move to Red Bull were fuelled by fanboys who seemed to think that Hamilton could simply change teams and would suddenly be back on form (and challenging Vettel, no less), as if the team was the problem and not Hamilton himself (namely his attitude).

I honestly didn't think that Hamilton will leave McLaren because if I'm not mistaken back in 2007, he said his F1 days will start with McLaren and will end with McLaren.

I also, personally don't think he will suit any other teams other than McLaren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back