The '14 driver transfer discussion/speculation thread

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 607 comments
Verstappen will be in FP1 for the US, Brazil and Abu Dhabi for Toro Rosso.

With talent of his caliber and that of Lucas Auer and others does it perhaps signal that F3 is a product that can attract and maintain the support of everyone from the casual viewer to the die-hard fans?

Sauber said the same thing when they let him go. Cynics thought they were just trying to explain away releasing a popular driver, but if Caterham are also saying it, then I doubt lightning has struck twice.

Backing PM here, there were several over-the-summer reports in 2012 from a Swiss paper that covers Sauber closely that said Sauber's management felt the Kobayashi/Perez combo was delivering significantly less than the car was capable of. This in a season where they scored multiple podiums. McLaren saved them a decision on Perez, and they clearly saw no point to retaining Kobayashi.

I think he was RSI when he ran FP1s earlier this year... or previously.
yeah that or ROI, would be most likely.

dont forget Montoya ran with MOY, they just keep going down the letters till it hasn't been used.

the only exception was Micheal and Ralf who had the same Last name as they where Brothers.

One of the most bizarre rumours I've heard for a while: Vettel to McLaren. It's bizarre because the rumour doesn't seem to exist. thejudge13 has spent a lot of time shooting it down, claiming that it has been doing the rounds of the Italian media - but nobody in the Italian media seems to know anything about it. Chalk that one up to thejudge13 trying to establish itself as a source by reporting on an "exclusive".

Speaking of journalists with no credibility, Joe Saward seems to think that Rossi's aborted debut has something to do with a bid from an American consortium (not Haas) to buy Marussia.

Adam Cooper is reporting that Carlos Sainz Jnr. and Roberto Merhi are being lined up for Caterham seats, again replacing Kobayashi.

Now it seems that everybody and his dog are apparently lined up to replace Kobayashi. At this rate if Kobayashi sneaks into the queue he's in with a pretty good chance himself.

Now it seems that everybody and his dog are apparently lined up to replace Kobayashi. At this rate if Kobayashi sneaks into the queue he's in with a pretty good chance himself.
Well, there's one major deterrent: the FIA only allows a team to take four drivers in a year, except in cases of force majeure. The rule caught Andrea Moda out back in the 1990s. It's designed to stop teams who can't compete from being a revolving door for pay drivers.

Well, there's one major deterrent: the FIA only allows a team to take four drivers in a year, except in cases of force majeure. The rule caught Andrea Moda out back in the 1990s. It's designed to stop teams who can't compete from being a revolving door for pay drivers.

Spoilsport. I'd actually forgotten that, there goes KK's "last big chance" :D

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/08/25/time-to-ruminate/

In the meantime, don’t get too convinced about Ferrari drivers staying the same next year. On paper the drive line-up will be unchanged, but as they say in the opera houses of the world, the show isn’t over until the fat lady sings. She should be warbling at Monza.

Funky stuff always seems to go down around Monza time. Wonder what's up this time, if Joe isn't grasping at straws that is.

But it's fun to think about anyway, so I'll bite for now: Alonso's leaving. Ferrari's third in the standings and things can only get worse (if Felipe had his **** together, Williams would probably be third). He has some sort of clause in his contract that says he can leave if they're third in the WCC.

Some scenarios, in no particular order of likelihood:
- Vettel seat swap.
- McLaren-Honda glory temptation. Button retirement; big driver shake up. Hulk, Bianchi, or Vergne jump into Alonso's seat.
- Bottas seat swap (lol)

A rumor is going round here in Holland that vd Garde has signed a race seat deal with Sauber to replace Sutil next year....maybe even jumping in this season because Sutil's fundings have stopped...

Its a rumor ,but still...2 Dutchies racing next year would be fantastic!

Spy.

Will teams hold their plans for 2016 though? Can't see Hamilton re-signing for Mercedes with his current relationship with Rosberg.

@Wardez That performance clause in Alonso's contract says Alonso is free to go if Ferrari finish lower than 3rd in WCC.

Thanks for clearing that up, do you have a source?

A rumor is going round here in Holland that vd Garde has signed a race seat deal with Sauber to replace Sutil next year....maybe even jumping in this season because Sutil's fundings have stopped...

Spy.

Yeah, that's a pretty likely swap actually. And not only those two, but we've got Christian Albers as a boss over at Caterham too haha.

Thanks for clearing that up, do you have a source?

Sure :) http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/could-formula-one-star-fernando-alonso-leave-ferrari

"Now, Italian media sources say Alonso might not necessarily drive a red car in 2015, even though Ferrari reportedly wants to extend the deal even further.

The sources, including Autosprint, say Alonso could be free to go at the end of this season due to a contractual performance clause, requiring Ferrari to finish at least third in the constructors' championship."

I wouldn't read too much into it - van der Garde has always lobbied long and hard to be leading the Netherlands' campaign into Formula 1. The arrival of Max Verstappen threatens that position. The more success Verstappen has, the more sponsors he will get, and the less interested they will be in backing van der Garde. So it doesn't surprise me that this rumour has started, because it probably comes from van der Garde himself (or at least his people). He did the same thing when Robin Frijns was being courted by Red Bull.

Wonder what's up this time, if Joe isn't grasping at straws that is.
That's all he does - and then he claims nobody else is a real journalist.

I wouldn't read too much into it - van der Garde has always lobbied long and hard to be leading the Netherlands' campaign into Formula 1. The arrival of Max Verstappen threatens that position. The more success Verstappen has, the more sponsors he will get, and the less interested they will be in backing van der Garde. So it doesn't surprise me that this rumour has started, because it probably comes from van der Garde himself (or at least his people). He did the same thing when Robin Frijns was being courted by Red Bull.

Agreed,but don't forget VDG has a very rich father in law,so sponsors might not be to much of a problem....anyway,if sauber doesn't get their act together,he will be only in front of the 2 backmarker teams and won't get his carreer any further up the field...

But ,as allways,time will tell.

Would be nice to see him racing again tho...he does have some skills!!

Spy.

I'd sooner see Kobayashi back in the sport. Van der Garde is not one of the top 22 drivers in the world. Even if Haas and Forza Rossa could start tomorrow, van der Garde would not be one of the top 26 drivers.

The only "skills" that he has are in replacing talent with money, and insisting that he is more relevant than he actually is.

I'd sooner see Kobayashi back in the sport. Van der Garde is not one of the top 22 drivers in the world. Even if Haas and Forza Rossa could start tomorrow, van der Garde would not be one of the top 26 drivers.

The only "skills" that he has are in replacing talent with money, and insisting that he is more relevant than he actually is.

Sorry,but i dont agree...VDG has won a lot before GP2 ( he WAS champion in the formula series by renault!!!!!) and in GP2 he won several races and scored several polepositions...thats a fact! and doing those in classes where all cars a the same(ok,different teams,some better then others)has only to do with the talent he has!

I am certainly not saying he is top material,but to shuf him off as a payed driver is nonsense...sure i am biased as a Duthman,but i do think you are wrong here !

Anyways,i am hoping he gets this chance and Sauber make a good car...i really think he can surprise some people.

Spy.

Latest Posts

Back