The 2018 F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation threadFormula 1 

EngieDiesel

Resident 'phox
Premium
United States
Columbus, Ohio
Kubica will be getting a third evaluation drive with Williams during the official Pirelli tire test at Yas Marina, a week after the season finale. The rumor mill says that Kvyat is a strong second pick if Kubica doesn't pan out, but given the requirements of their Martini sponsorship that could cause other issues. Di Resta is extremely unlikely at this point.

And he's going to drive at Abu Dhabi instead of Massa? Did I read that right?

Last I heard Williams were considering running Kubica in the post-GP tire test. Nothing was said about the race itself.

Finally it's official. Kubica in 2018 in a Williams. He signed a two year contract.

(Dutch) source: http://www.rtlgp.nl/item/163905/rtl_gp_robert_kubica_maakt_f1_rentree_bij_williams

This in reply from Williams:

Williams
Although conversations are ongoing with Kubica, it is still yet to be finally decided who will replace Massa. We will make an announcement when we have something to announce but nothing is planned this weekend in Abu Dhabi.

That's not to say that Kubica won't be driving for Williams next year but it's clear that the "official" announcement is anything but.

This in reply from Williams:

That's not to say that Kubica won't be driving for Williams next year but it's clear that the "official" announcement is anything but.
or the Dutch know everything or we/I have to admit that @TheElbows is right: never trust a Dutch which sounds more reliable then the source itself :scared:. Next week the reveal

True, though Williams has been incredibly coy about Kubica's likelihood of getting the seat from day one, and it's getting to the point where if they weren't serious about bringing him on then they would have probably made that clear by now. If I had to guess, I'd think they're just waiting for a time when they feel the announcement won't be overshadowed by the inevitable post-season hoopla.

True, though Williams has been incredibly coy about Kubica's likelihood of getting the seat from day one, and it's getting to the point where if they weren't serious about bringing him on then they would have probably made that clear by now. If I had to guess, I'd think they're just waiting for a time when they feel the announcement won't be overshadowed by the inevitable post-season hoopla.

They have other serious options of course, I don't see why Kubica wouldn't remain one of those options and nor do they, apparently. Still being on the list doesn't make him confirmed any more than it makes anyone else on the list confirmed.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this breaking news but I think it is close enough related to F1 McLaren.

After two Dutch men were battling in the E racing championship final sim racer Rudy van Buren won the race and he is the world fastest (virtual) racer.
He signed a contract with the (F1) McLaren Technology Center as a sim test driver.

source this time in english so more reliable :) : http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/2017/worlds-fastest-gamer/rudy-van-buren-wins/

Kubica covers nearly-double race distance in Abu Dhabi test in this year's Williams. He beat Stroll's FP1 time which, all things considered, means either "was better than" or "was nearly as good as". It certainly seems that any doubts about Kubica's physical ability to last the distance are gone. Sky.

Eva
Probably going to Mercedes FE team.

There are rumors (since October) that he'll go back to DTM if he does not get a seat in F1. Won't be sad that he's gone tbh, never liked him

I know he's had ties to Mercedes for some time now, I completely forgot that with Sauber partnering with Alfa (Ferrari), that would cause a bit of a problem between the manufacturers. Makes sense now that I think about it.

If he does stay in F1, I think the best shot for him would be at Williams, that is if Kubica doesn't get the go-ahead; I don't see Stroll leaving any time soon.

I hope he finds something, though. Against all odds, he seems to end up with some points at the end of the season, even if he's in the worst car in the field. Ericsson however...

I thought they also announced last F1 race that Mercedes had formerly withdrawn sponsorship/support of Wehrlein as a driver - or did I get that mixed up with someone else?

I thought they also announced last F1 race that Mercedes had formerly withdrawn sponsorship/support of Wehrlein as a driver - or did I get that mixed up with someone else?
Wolff talked about Wehrlein as still being their Junior driver on the 25th. Link to that.

Meanwhile Williams "want more time" to evaluate Kubica's Abu Dhabi performance. He was consistent, but he seemingly wasn't stellar. Whatever happens it's an incredible achievement, but if he can't demonstrate the old speed then that is probably that.

Meanwhile Williams "want more time" to evaluate Kubica's Abu Dhabi performance. He was consistent, but he seemingly wasn't stellar. Whatever happens it's an incredible achievement, but if he can't demonstrate the old speed then that is probably that.

#BringbackJuly-Ann!

I knew it was unlikely that Wehrlein would stay at Sauber if Alfa came in but was expecting Giovinazzi instead of Ericsson alongside LeClerc.

I guess with limited sponsorship at the moment, Ericsson's money should come in quite useful for the time being.

Back