The 3 Major Classic Race Cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter Wyvern_64
  • 59 comments
  • 6,955 views

Which Car is Your Favorite?


  • Total voters
    204
to me, the three real legendary race cars in GT5 are the XJ13 (even though it never raced), the GT40 MkIV "J-car" and the 330 P4 spyder.

and my choice of those three?

why, the jag of course! it's one of the most beautiful cars of all time, mixing mid-engined agressiveness with D and E-type elegance.

The late 60's were a special time in just about every way. In racing, Ford came to Le Mans in '66 and won with a headlines pic of their GT-40's 1-2-3 at the finish. Enzo said right back at you with their finish line pic of 330 P4's going 1-2-3 at 24 hours of Daytona. My favorite racing story.
 
787B. Just for the fact I loved beating the GT-One and R390 with it on GT3 arcade mode :dopey:
 
surely the 787B as it was the first and only japanese car to win a 24h lemans and getting its engine banned from it right after.

I love how the wankels work!
The 787B and previous versions were mid-grid to backmarkers in Group C. The various Jaguar's, Mercede's, Porsche's, Toyota's and Nissan's were all far quicker.

The 787B won Le Mans in '91 because the rules were transitioning from big capacity engines to lighter 3.5 cars such as the 905 which were even quicker. Mazda negotiated a low weight and generous fuel allowance with the organisers which wasn't picked up by competitors because Mazda weren't considered serious competitors.

The GT-ONE is by far the best car never to win Le Mans and the 908 the quickest.
 
Hmmm. I was so sure that the title referred to the 330 P4, the XJ13, and the Mark IV.
 
True 787B was noot the quickest Group C car ever but its as to be one of the best sounding cars from those times.

Though I never saw them in the hay day I did see a bunch of Group C cars running at Donington race track a few years back in a Historic race there.

Some one ran a 787 there its was slower than most of the other cars.
But God the sound it made on the Back straight were awesome.

As for those last gen Group C cars like the 905 runnig to the 3.5 Ltr Formula.
those things were lapping around in near F1 speeds for back then.

Fav GT Lm cars yes Like both Toyota GT1 & Nissan R 390.

I hope that they add all the Group C & Lm cars to the Premium content in the Future.:)
 
Hmmm. I was so sure that the title referred to the 330 P4, the XJ13, and the Mark IV.


hahaha that's what I was expecting when I read the title.



Anyways, back on topic.
I just picked up the GT-ONE from the Used Car Dealer this morning, haven't had the chance to drive it yet. Can't wait till I get home.

Though for me it was a tough choice between the GT-ONE and the Nissan R92CP as they both popped up at the same time
 
Hmmm. I was so sure that the title referred to the 330 P4, the XJ13, and the Mark IV.

Yeah, those are the real classics. But they were just recently introduced to the GT series, the 787B, GT-One and R390 have been in the series since the beginning. :D

In GT2, it was the R390 for me.
In GT3, it was the GT-One.
In GT4, it was the 787B.
And in GT5, so far I like the 787B the best, especially for the endurance races. But I love all of them. :D
 
Toyota GT-ONE, I love the looks, the handling, and the massive spoiler...
 
True 787B was noot the quickest Group C car ever but its as to be one of the best sounding cars from those times.

Though I never saw them in the hay day I did see a bunch of Group C cars running at Donington race track a few years back in a Historic race there.

Some one ran a 787 there its was slower than most of the other cars.
But God the sound it made on the Back straight were awesome.

As for those last gen Group C cars like the 905 runnig to the 3.5 Ltr Formula.
those things were lapping around in near F1 speeds for back then.

Fav GT Lm cars yes Like both Toyota GT1 & Nissan R 390.

I hope that they add all the Group C & Lm cars to the Premium content in the Future.:)


That's so true. It was the loudest LM car ever and one of the best sounding in motorsports. Volker Weidler, one of the three '91 winning drivers began to suffer from sensorineural hearing loss because of the noisy 787b.



*Drools*

800px-Sauber-Mercedes_C9%2C_Bj._1988_%282009-08-07_Sp%29.jpg


This car did almost the same race distance as last years winner, BACK IN 1990!!!

Amazing car, amazing to drive.

Always liked the Toyota GT1 too though.


Because back in '90 there were no chicanes on le sarthe, so 6km full throttle, that's why you can't compare the LM Prototypes with Group C cars lap times.

But most Group C cars were in my opinion much better looking cars than nowadays ones.
 
Last edited:
Toyota GT-One.
 
Of the ones listed the 787b, but I'd take the Nissan 92cp over any of those.
 
Completely based on gut feeling over everything else - 787B. I remember owning one on GT3 and going half deaf from the engine. Now, all these years later, it seems to still be embedded in my mind. I found the R390 and GT-ONE both felt really heavy as well. I have yet to drive any of them in GT5, although I have an R390 and a stealth 787B sitting in the garage.

Somewhat OT; I don't want to put any mileage on the stealth cars so looks like I will be waiting a while before driving a 787B again :(
 
Voted Gt-One. I love the looks of the car. I miss the road version though :(
 
The bentley was run by a team that designed and run the car the only input from Audi was the engine that the team slighty modified to deal with the closed cockpit layout. The founder of the team died last year

so here goes some history
audi started in the 1999 le man with 2 different cars
the audi R8R and the R8C an open and a closed version
the R8R developed into the the successful audi R8 we know now

The R8C was developed into the Bentley Speed 8
Bentley is part of VAG and for the 2003 race the boss wanted the Bentley to win instead of the audi R8 since it would be the last year that the Bentley would enter.

so allot of specialist and drivers from the Audi team were put on the Bentley team for that year. and it obviously paid off
 
Did anyone read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_787B? When i read this forum, It looks to me that almost everybody think that 787B dominated Le Mans. The win of 787B was surprise, because the car was one of the slowest, but had great reliability and fuel economy. Those factors are most important in 24h race, but it's not like 787B dominated in other races.

👍 That's why I like it, and I always root against the Yankees.
 
Completely based on gut feeling over everything else - 787B. I remember owning one on GT3 and going half deaf from the engine. Now, all these years later, it seems to still be embedded in my mind. I found the R390 and GT-ONE both felt really heavy as well. I have yet to drive any of them in GT5, although I have an R390 and a stealth 787B sitting in the garage.

Somewhat OT; I don't want to put any mileage on the stealth cars so looks like I will be waiting a while before driving a 787B again :(


At only 500Cr to rebuild a Stealth for Chassis or Engine why wait to use them 👍
 
I should kick myself between my legs, I could have bought GT-One earlier today but I didn't. However i did buy the BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car insteed, it seems thou that the GT-One is the faster one.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
 
But most Group C cars were in my opinion much better looking cars than nowadays ones.

Better looking yes, but the newest Audi looks like a beast!! I hope its gonna kick some french peugeot-ass this year :)
 
Better looking yes, but the newest Audi looks like a beast!! I hope its gonna kick some french peugeot-ass this year :)

Yes sir!!! **Notice the #1 on the daytime running lights!**

2011-Audi-R18-Racecar-Photo1.jpg
 
I should kick myself between my legs, I could have bought GT-One earlier today but I didn't. However i did buy the BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car insteed, it seems thou that the GT-One is the faster one.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say the gt-one is faster, but the F1 GTR is still a damn fine car, so no worries.
 
The 787B... Why? because it's wonderful!... excellent handling, good top speed, good acceleration... overall is a very good car...:dopey:

I liked the R390 a lot... but then came GT4 and made it extremely slow... dunno about GT5's incarnation... :sick:

The GT-One... well... I would have voted for him... but in this game, this car is awfull... it sounds like a Phillips shaving machine!!! DON'T LIKE IT!!! :ouch: I think it was one of the most downgraded cars in the game...
 
The Mazda, because it's a Premium.
 
787B, simply because it is the closest thing to the greatest race car ever, one us GT fans will never get to experience....the Porsche 956.
 
so here goes some history
audi started in the 1999 le man with 2 different cars
the audi R8R and the R8C an open and a closed version
the R8R developed into the the successful audi R8 we know now

The R8C was developed into the Bentley Speed 8
Bentley is part of VAG and for the 2003 race the boss wanted the Bentley to win instead of the audi R8 since it would be the last year that the Bentley would enter.

so allot of specialist and drivers from the Audi team were put on the Bentley team for that year. and it obviously paid off

Wow, very interesting. Thank you for that. 👍
 
Better looking yes, but the newest Audi looks like a beast!! I hope its gonna kick some french peugeot-ass this year :)

👍 I hope so too. I love Audi and the way they anticipate motorsports. By the way I like the R18 too, unfortunately Audi doesn't. They would love to make a open-wheel car again but the new regulations made it not worth and they finally want to beat that Peugeot with the same weapon at the same speed :-D
 
I should kick myself between my legs, I could have bought GT-One earlier today but I didn't. However i did buy the BMW McLaren F1 GTR Race Car insteed, it seems thou that the GT-One is the faster one.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

At Suzuka, the GT-One is maybe 1.5/2 seconds down from the Benz/Sauber, Audi R8 '01 or the Bentley. The BMW McLaren F1 GTR is about 5/6 seconds down from those 3. I'm writing the times down due to no leaderboards, but too many pages and I can't find them.

It would be nice if the list at the practice tracks were more like 100 instead of 10. Also should be able to delete one time instead of the whole list.
 
voted 787 since the Porsche 917 isn't an option.
 
I chose the 787B, it sounds so good when you start it in the garage. :D
 
The Mazda, because it's a Premium.

This is another reason I love this car. Most of the time I use the hood cam, but the 787B has such a great cockpit (and very easy to see out of) I like driving in that view too. :dopey: One of the only cars I use the cockpit view with.
 
Back