The AI Worries Me... A Lot

Because not everyone enjoys online play, myself included. A good AI can be very engaging and fun, as it was in many games before online gaming existed. It's just never been great in GT.

Playing with other humans is not "always better".

Good AI don't divebomb you with no intention of braking and ruin your race.

Good AI don't generally drive like a tool because they're hotheaded or like being annoying.

Good AI don't suddenly become godlike or terrible depending on who is the race.

Good AI are always there, even at 3am on a weekday or 15 years from now when the game is long abandoned by online players, and the servers turned off.

If GT5 and GT6 didn't have AI they would just be coasters now, with no online play.
Let's not be such a delicate flower, **** happens in every game and every sport.

Because not everyone enjoys online play, myself included. A good AI can be very engaging and fun, as it was in many games before online gaming existed. It's just never been great in GT.

Playing with other humans is not "always better".

Good AI don't divebomb you with no intention of braking and ruin your race.

Good AI don't generally drive like a tool because they're hotheaded or like being annoying.

Good AI don't suddenly become godlike or terrible depending on who is the race.

Good AI are always there, even at 3am on a weekday or 15 years from now when the game is long abandoned by online players, and the servers turned off.

If GT5 and GT6 didn't have AI they would just be coasters now, with no online play.
I agree with you this time and I rather race with the AIs rather than the real life players online, because the online player are the worst and you don' know what they are going to do.
With the AIs out on the track at least you know what they are going to be like and you can trust them, and not what the real online player are going to be like because you can never trust them.

Learn to play against others and you will realise how boring the AI is. No soul, too predictable, too dull.

I wonder why that is...truly not because Polyphony have done no work (instead making AI stupider and more prone to binning it in corners) in such a thing, and believe that keeping the status quo in a game that is putting so much emphasis on the single player portion of the game, like GT7 is, is a good idea?

The best part about this laughable excuse is that bad GT AI, over the years, can be a direct cause and effect with regards to the absolutely horrific driving habits formed by online players in ultimately the most important part of GT Sport (and indeed, what Polyphony expect you to play) is simply the chickens coming home to roost, where players have been conditioned by the games previous (mainly through moronic and slow AI, and absolutely no consequences for being overly aggressive, especially damage wise) to treat AI like dirt, and subsequently, online players?

Scaff's post from early in the thread underlines just how off the ball Polyphony are in the AI department, that they are getting beat out by teams much smaller then them, who are able to provide AI that know how to race and to put up competitive races. Instead, Polyphony decide that online racing is a better barometer for racing, and basically kick the can down the road for another title before this very same thread crops up when we're in the lead up to GT8's release. What the hell is it going to take to see some actual change that simply isn't 'well, race online you idiot'? Because the issue of bad AI ultimately effects online too.

I agree with you this time and I rather race with the AIs rather than the real life players online, because the online player are the worst and you don' know what they are going to do.
With the AIs out on the track at least you know what they are going to be like and you can trust them, and not what the real online player are going to be like because you can never trust them.

Knowing your history on this forum, I think we know why you prefer racing against AI.

Of course it's important!

When PD shuts the servers down the game would be completely-useless without it. I'm playin' GT6 'til 7 drops and without the AI all I'd be able to do is personal time trials in empty tracks. That's fine, but it'll only take you so far...

I wonder why that is...truly not because Polyphony have done no work (instead making AI stupider and more prone to binning it in corners) in such a thing, and believe that keeping the status quo in a game that is putting so much emphasis on the single player portion of the game, like GT7 is, is a good idea?

The best part about this laughable excuse is that bad GT AI, over the years, can be a direct cause and effect with regards to the absolutely horrific driving habits formed by online players in ultimately the most important part of GT Sport (and indeed, what Polyphony expect you to play) is simply the chickens coming home to roost, where players have been conditioned by the games previous (mainly through moronic and slow AI, and absolutely no consequences for being overly aggressive, especially damage wise) to treat AI like dirt, and subsequently, online players?

Scaff's post from early in the thread underlines just how off the ball Polyphony are in the AI department, that they are getting beat out by teams much smaller then them, who are able to provide AI that know how to race and to put up competitive races. Instead, Polyphony decide that online racing is a better barometer for racing, and basically kick the can down the road for another title before this very same thread crops up when we're in the lead up to GT8's release. What the hell is it going to take to see some actual change that simply isn't 'well, race online you idiot'? Because the issue of bad AI ultimately effects online too.
So you're blaming poor etiquette online on AI? That's is a bit of a stretch isn't it? What excuse do all the games with better AI have for having griefers online in their lobbies then? Or is that all GT's fault too? It's not something that's just a PD/GT Sport issue because pretty much every game with an online mode has them.... and it's not just racing games.

Knowing your history on this forum, I think we know why you prefer racing against AI.
And knowing your history on this forum you'll take any opportunity you can to slip the boot into PD, even if it means twisting someone's comment, like you did with @RacingFan1's, into something to fit your agenda that people are trying to ''keep Polyphony off the hook''.

So yeah. Typical ********

Just a suggestion but you should try reading comments for just what they say instead of automatically thinking everyone's a PD apologist.

Last edited:
Recently I’ve fired up good old GT6 and headed to a race only to ragequit after a few corners. My main problem with the AI isn’t the speed, but their lack of spacial awareness, they’re all over the track, they tend to fly into a corner only then to hit the brakes in the apex (especially when Player is right behind them... And I’m pretty sure this is a calculated behavior set up by PD, and could be easily fixed...

Recently I’ve fired up good old GT6 and headed to a race only to rage-quit after a few corners. My main problem with the AI isn’t the speed, but their lack of spatial awareness, they’re all over the track, they tend to fly into a corner only then to hit the brakes in the apex (especially when Player is right behind them... And I’m pretty sure this is a calculated behaviour set up by PD, and could be easily fixed...

I share this problem. Since GT7 was announced for 2022 I decided I would go back and play GT6, which I never got to play too much of back when it came out. Since 2013, I had to swap my PS3 so was starting GT6 from scratch. The main thing I noticed about the A.I was their willingness to just shove you off the track if you got on their outside at the wrong place, whether this is into the sand trap or into a wall. The problem with the A.I being a bit physical is that they're basically on rails, so you can't really do anything to push back once they've failed to acknowledge your existence

Compared to the GT Sport A.I, they seem to have better lines and better pace, but they also seem to rubber-band quite a bit more, both before and after you've overtaken them. I've noticed them slowing down considerably if it looks like I won't catch them by the end of the race, then speed up once I'm past so that they can test my defensive driving for the rest of the race. Alternatively, if I've past everyone early on they just give up, allowing me to win by a significant margin.

It just seems like the rubber-banding could be removed if the race was a grid start instead of chase the rabbit, and the A.I were scaled according to your time margin to gold in the license tests for each series.

It just seems like the rubber-banding could be removed if the race was a grid start instead of chase the rabbit, and the A.I were scaled according to your time margin to gold in the license tests for each series.
Huh, that's a fresh idea actually. Ideally, they could just have a slider for adjusting difficulty and aggression like pretty much every other racing game but if they insist on keeping the career unadjustable for the player, this is an interesting way to do it. Man, I wish we could pitch ideas to PD.

It's not just the AI (each car's individual computer decisions about what to do when we come near them), it's also the rubber-banding (more of a global game feature applying to any cars we haven't neared, as the race comes into its final lap). 👎 Ugh. I want my ass KICKED if I can't keep up with them, not pandered to and hand-held. I spend plenty of time holding my own ass, thank you very much.

Last edited:
About the grid starts. When my GTS locked, I had to reboot my PS4 and reinstall the game. While I waited for the internet to connect, I started to play offline. The game was in its early versions.

I selected Arcade Gr.4. The car options were greater than the choices we have now. The GR.4 Mustang was another choice next to the GR.4 RC F. When I entered the race, it was defaulted at Grid Start. Not the Rolling Start we get as default right now.

So, PD had it set up as the old way, even though, in real life, GT racing have rolling starts, but side by side.

In my expereince, GT Sport has one of the cleanest online players in terms of etiquette, at least on the highest tier. That's not the case on lower tiers, but it's not like all of them intentionally trying to hit you on the corners to get a faster time. Some players indeed have such intention, but many of them try not to but incapable of actual execution.

In real life amateur racing, you typically get more cautious drivers even compare to the highest tier of GT Sport players. That's because your money (i.e. you gotta pay for the damage on your car and you inflicted on tracks) and your well-being (or even your life) is on the line, instead of some meaningless time penalty. Some people have much higher tolerance than the others on the money-side, because a total loss of a $200k cup car or a $50k road car is not equally big to every people, so they're usually a bit more aggressive than the others (and this aggressiveness often leads them to podium). But even those people have more cautious attitude compare to most online racing. Overly cautious AI is in fact more in line with real life and is not necessarily a bad thing.

One of the things that has let Gran Turismo down in recent years is the AI. They seem weak, overly cautious and too slow to be a serious issue for most people. GT7 can have all the bells, whistles and nostalgia it wants but without competent AI, I fear that the whole experience will be ruined. This is such an important factor for the future and PD HAVE TO get it right. There is no excuse in this day and age to have such pathetic AI who will not fight for position and fail to provide some kind of competition. I honestly don't know how PD will turn this around if history has taught us anything. This is such an important part of the old GT experience, and GT7 will fall flat if the AI are crap. I assume that many of you here echo this sentiment.
I agree that the ai can be boring, but if they raced as good as the player it would be unfair to be placed starting in the very back of the race.

I'm nearly 40. Never had a gaming PC, but ACC showed me what legit Ai is all about. It's insane to be able to race for 5 laps and cut into a 1/2 second deficit one 1/10th per lap. GT has never had anything even close to this. For someone like me, it's a game changer.

Wow, blaming poor AI for bad etiquette online is ludicrous. I don't think people pay attention to what the AI does to be honest; at least not to the point where it DIRECTLY influences their driving habits.
It's like blaming F1 driving standards on drivers having iRacing accounts.

I'll admit it; when I first started playing Sport Mode a few months back, I could drive pretty recklessly from time to time and I directly attribute this to having picked up bad habits from racing the AI.

This is my reason for desperately wanting a better AI and even a penalty system in the single player campaign. But since it looks like it won't be happening, I'll just pray for a working penalty system in Sport Mode in GT7.

I agree that the ai can be boring, but if they raced as good as the player it would be unfair to be placed starting in the very back of the race.
Right, and that's why having qualifying and/or longer races would be necessary in conjunction with improved AI. But that's not exactly a bad thing. People could always choose not to qualify and start at the back, or there could even be an auto-qualify button that puts you in an appropriate place for your car (probably defaulting to somewhere in the middle if all cars were equal). If you want the "original GT experience" you can always set the AI on easy and just go to town on them.

Having good AI forces Polyphony to deal with a whole range of other poor design decisions. That's great for the players.

Indeed. Imagine the absurdity if the next F1 game comes out and removes qualifying, you start every race in last and the lead car is already at T2 when you get going.
I never understood why PD could not run dual row rolling starts like most other sims that then gave a person a few rows back a much better chance of staying with the lead pack.
Single row rolling starts with so much space between the cars in itself is a total joke!

I never understood why PD could not run dual row rolling starts like most other sims that then gave a person a few rows back a much better chance of staying with the lead pack.
Single row rolling starts with so much space between the cars in itself is a total joke!
Simply, because the AI are slow and not that intelligent, PD found the best way is to give the AI as much of a lead as possible is to have more cars on track and more separation between the bots the better.
If I remember at the release of GT5 we did get standing starts at the beginning, because of some frame rate issues or something, PD released a update that reverted back to single car rolling starts.

I’ve had side by side rolling starts with AI, in GTS, where after switching tracks from Northern Isle, the AI are side by side from every race then on. May be a glitch, but it can be done.

I’ve had side by side rolling starts with AI, in GTS, where after switching tracks from Northern Isle, the AI are side by side from every race then on. May be a glitch, but it can be done.
I want to give this a try now.

Have to say, that Boost Weak option has transformed the races I've done so far.

For the last two days, tried several tracks with Gr.4, my built vintage Group 5 race cars and DTM builds. It's working. The cars at the back haven't been lapped and the AI have finished either .5 seconds behind me or I haven't made up as many spots as I used to( when Boost was off).

It may be a faux way to have competitive AI, but it's a much more fun experience now.

It's not just the AI (each car's individual computer decisions about what to do when we come near them), it's also the rubber-banding (more of a global game feature applying to any cars we haven't neared, as the race comes into its final lap). 👎 Ugh. I want my ass KICKED if I can't keep up with them, not pandered to and hand-held. I spend plenty of time holding my own ass, thank you very much.
This bothers me so much as well. I set up a couple custom races today using my garage cars, and I put a hot Pantera in when I was driving a far slower 930 Porsche, and he was putting seconds a lap on me at Deep Forest. I was actually excited that they would keep a quick pace that would make me not only choose a comparable car, but work for the win. Then I notice I'm gaining seconds on him, and then I overtake him on the last lap despite him speeding back up to a quick pace. This is all while having 40sec on the third place 520hp modded GT3RS, and laps on a Carrera GT, an F40 and other way faster cars. This "pass him on the last lap" thing repeated over and over.

Then I watch the replay and the Pantera went from running 1.33-34s (good GR4 pace) to 45-48s! It just slowed down a ton, and then you watch the AI drive and it's slamming on the brakes in pretty much every corner. What sense does this make? It's like the game was handing me the wins. Lame.

Why is it hard for PD to just let the AI push the cars the whole way. They can clearly keep a good pace, but the game just forces them to die half way through.
Have to say, that Boost Weak option has transformed the races I've done so far.

For the last two days, tried several tracks with Gr.4, my built vintage Group 5 race cars and DTM builds. It's working. The cars at the back haven't been lapped and the AI have finished either .5 seconds behind me or I haven't made up as many spots as I used to( when Boost was off).

It may be a faux way to have competitive AI, but it's a much more fun experience now.
Is this for custom races? So boost would have the AI keep a pace instead of dying on the vine? I wonder what full boost would do... time for a little testing.

This bothers me so much as well. I set up a couple custom races today using my garage cars, and I put a hot Pantera in when I was driving a far slower 930 Porsche, and he was putting seconds a lap on me at Deep Forest. I was actually excited that they would keep a quick pace that would make me not only choose a comparable car, but work for the win. Then I notice I'm gaining seconds on him, and then I overtake him on the last lap despite him speeding back up to a quick pace. This is all while having 40sec on the third place 520hp modded GT3RS, and laps on a Carrera GT, an F40 and other way faster cars. This "pass him on the last lap" thing repeated over and over.

Then I watch the replay and the Pantera went from running 1.33-34s (good GR4 pace) to 45-48s! It just slowed down a ton, and then you watch the AI drive and it's slamming on the brakes in pretty much every corner. What sense does this make? It's like the game was handing me the wins. Lame.

Why is it hard for PD to just let the AI push the cars the whole way. They can clearly keep a good pace, but the game just forces them to die half way through.

Is this for custom races? So boost would have the AI keep a pace instead of dying on the vine? I wonder what full boost would do... time for a little testing.
Yes. Custom Racing all day. I've only tried Weak.
Like I said, I have to try all my combos again. This adjustment changed everything.

Back