The Ballad of Gay Tony - discussion

• Thread starter GTA_Phreak
  • 31 comments
GTA Phreak
First impressions are pretty gay ;)

The supercar shortage is over, Comet's and Inferni liberally roam the streets.
Found a new bike too, the Vader (sounds and looks a bit like a PCJ)
Luis appears to have taken bike riding lessons from Johny, so handling bikes is easy.

Every mission is scored, - getting a perfect 100% score seems very difficult. But apparently all missions can be replayed after finishing.

The story starts at the 3-leaf clover bank heist, Luis is the guy lying next to the hostage that shoots Michael.
It's cut-scene only though

Please use spoiler tags around plot spoilers
HTML:
[spoiler]Players who hasn't finished the game probably don't want to know this[/spoiler]

I've only just started it, but I like the idea that once you're done, you can go back and replay missions to beat your scores and times. I downloaded it last night and I'll be playing it this evening to get a good impression of it.

The Buzzard helicopter packs some serious firepower (even more than the TLaD Annihilator), but so far I haven't found any outside missions.
Another new helicopter the "Swift" which does spawn on a pad.
The height limit for helicopters has been greatly increased.

The Rotterdam Tower now has an enterable lobby (with a little easter egg) and stairs and ladders at the top so you can climb all the way.

And parachutes has made a comeback, - very cool, works in the same fashion as in SA. I have found a pickup but it won't be there before the introductory mission has been completed (after which it will also be available from the gun van)

The base jumping is a new set of scripted side-missions (they're all marked on the map and provides the parachute) and appears fairly challenging.

The gang-wars from TLaD are now drug-wars.

Some new mini-games, - scored a girl at dancing (sort of a girlfriend you can call, but apparently no "vertical" activities).

Some new cars too:
Serano a sporty SUV.
And the Tampa is back (at least I've never seen it IV before)

I asked the person who plays the voice of Roman Bellic on what it is about, on Youtube.

I asked the person who plays the voice of Roman Bellic on what it is about, on Youtube.
Why? You could either buy it if you have an Xbox 360 or simply read the reviews and previews to get the gist of the storyline.

Is Roman Bellic a major character in this expansion? He only made a very small minor appearance in a single mission in The Lost and Damned.

Last edited:
I haven't met Roman in BoGT, but :dopey:
I've met Brucie and done a mission for Brucie's brother: http://media.gtanet.com/images/6405-gta-gay-tony-mori-art.jpg
And the APC tank is pretty cool, - not quite as powerful as a Rhino though but the machine cannon can really solve congestion problems :P

Finally mastering base-jumping, 100% a few and unlocked the achievement.

Edit: And then I saw Roman as well, - he went into the Maisonette 9 in the background of a cut-scene: http://media.rockstargames.com/products/rockstar/screenshot gallery/theballadofgaytony/4/1280/1.jpg

Last edited:
@ericdemoryGT

You post flame bait like that, which is simply designed to drag a thread off topic, again and I will ban you. Warnings about your conduct have been numerous, take them on board.

This is not a subject for discussion, do it again and you are gone.

Scaff

Some annoyances:

Nitrous: Only available in races wtf? They let you keep the car but remove the nitrous. It's only of limited value during the races, but it would be so cool for stunts or just fooling around.

Bahama Mamas: If I don't soon get a call from Yusuf saying that he bought Bahama Mama's and invites Luis to the grand re-opening, I'll be really pissed-off.

In general:

The mission replay works really well, - except it doesn't play the introductory cut-scene (but it does play the news section on the radio associated with the last mission replayed)
Some of the requirements for 100% on missions appear to be ridiculously hard, but you don't have to meet all requirements in one attempt (once you passed 1 requirement you don't have to pass that again)

The missions are generally good and varied and appears to allow for alternative strategies (at least in some cases). They are on the easy side, - but the scoring takes care of that.

Lots of small details that make things interesting and encourages exploration.

And Luis is (IMHO) the best protagonist of the series.

The parachutes simply rocks !!! Hit a jump on bike, then bail and try to make a safe landing.
And there's a glitch that allows you to climb with the parachute to unlimited height (I scored 18.500 ft. freefall, - over a minute before splash down)
Also there's a mission which provides an unlimited supply of parachutes, so you can really fool around by climbing and cutting away chutes to freefall.

How about the new, Z-game worthy, extreme sport of swing-set cannon with parachute finish?

Hours worth of interesting gameplay awaiting.

Sounds good, shame it's not coming to PSN, but I'm still playing normal IV, so clearly I'm not in need of more :).

I think the ballad of gay tony is wayyy better than the lost and damned... i mean the weapons are way better, you have the APC, Buzzard, cooler cars, parachutes, clubs, drug wars... i think TLAD is just kinda depressing and the sepia color filter gets really annoying...

Yeah, but the standard Auto Shotgun isn't anywhere near as good as the Street Sweeper from TLaD, and it is pretty much tied with the Combat Shotgun from Vanilla IV. The Advanced Sniper is absolutely identical to the Combat Sniper from Vanilla IV. The Gold SMG shoots incredibly fast, but is so inaccurate that it is pretty much only useful for blind corner fire. And the Advanced MG shoots faster, but does less damage and is considerably less accurate than the M4 and AK47.

And there's a glitch that allows you to climb with the parachute to unlimited height (I scored 18.500 ft. freefall, - over a minute before splash down)
Also there's a mission which provides an unlimited supply of parachutes, so you can really fool around by climbing and cutting away chutes to freefall.

I know that is an old post but does anyone know how that glitch works??

I know that is an old post but does anyone know how that glitch works??

Oh man, I can't believe I know something Master Spuds does not.

Hi, it's Canoxa from GTAForums!

The glitch was apparently patched. It consisted of holding down R1 or L1, so as to start turning, and then tap the other button fast. Luis would start ascending. It was patched. I remember a thread on GTAF about a new way to do that, but I don't recall if it was for real.

+ pulling back on the left stick.

I think it was patched before the PS3 release, - but I've been deliberately avoiding that patch. That glitch is simply too cool to live without :dopey:

It allows you to climb to seemingly unlimited height (I've got a 35,725 ft. Longest free fall stat )
With a little finesse it also allows you to utilize 2 chutes in 1 jump, so you can do a lengthy controllable free-fall over dry land without going splat.

Spuds avoids info from games he hasn't played yet... and the only games I was really "ahead of the curve" on were Vice City and to a certain extent SA (when it first came out).... I still haven't visited TLAD or TBOGT much over at GTAF...

Sounds like a cool glitch... why would they patch that?? Thanks for the info... 👍

TBoGT is not as good as GTA IV, but is way better than TLAD, cause of the vibrance and definitely a lot more content, but GTA IV just hooks you in with it, the story is so more intense. And Niko is the strangest of all playable characters, Johnny's the boring one, Luis is the mean one, and Nikos the creepy one. I don't play TLAD, they need to do something about the Sepia filter.
And for those who don't see Roman in TBoGT, he's in the first mission at the club, and I think twice more, where he talks about womens "parts" a little too much.

I don't play TLAD, they need to do something about the Sepia filter.
No they don't, you do. If you look in the options/ settings menu you will see an option to turn the effect off. It may get annoying but it gives the game a rough effect which is what it is supposed to be.

Oh btw, sepia is kind of what an aged photo looks like, yellow and yuck. The term you are looking for is 'noise', I cant really define what it is but that's what it is called.

I liked TBoGT better than the original GTA IV that's for sure. I've been going to the swing glitch on bikes and skydiving back to earth.

Also, going into the clubs armed with molotov's is pretty funny 👍

Does anyone know if you can use a 360 DLC TLaD save with the boxed EfLC set?

I'd like to get 1.8gb off my HDD if it's possible.

Last edited:
I think TBoGT is indeed a very interesting twist to the GTA IV era. However, many annoying glitches are what set me back from the original game:
Random scenery disappearing
Servers are broken (sometimes)
Alderney disappears! (Had it happen once, drove my Police Cruiser right into the water, saw another player driving ABOVE me O_O WTH)

Other than that, it's a great game, but GTA IV is more fun for the hardcore race fans like myself. I just throw a racing helmet and matching clothes on my multiplayer character, and hit the streets of Liberty City with traffic parked. Loads of fun, getting to know the differences of each car without trigger-happy 8 year olds or stupid traffic ruining your day. Sorry about going way off topic.

What patch? They released the expansion on a disc for PS3. I don't know if it was downloadable as well, but I bought the disc-based version.

I never even came close to beating either story until PSN went down.

No, Rockstar never released an update for The Episodes From Liberty City on the PS3. Only for GTA4 that is.

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. I borrowed the disc from a buddy, but the game kept freezing after 5 minutes or so. So I figured, maybe I missed a patch or something. But I reinstalled it, and it seems to be working now..

What patch? They released the expansion on a disc for PS3. I don't know if it was downloadable as well, but I bought the disc-based version.

I never even came close to beating either story until PSN went down.

Ballard of gay tony & the lost and damned are available to download from PS store

Both were available as exclusive DLC for the 360 first and released on both platforms on disc (and PSN), when Microsoft's exclusive agreement with Rockstar ran out.

Back