The B M W Championship - FinishedPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 360 comments
I know that there is no more space remaining but could you put me onto the reserve list for the current BMW league
Hi Adrian. šŸ‘ I certainly can put you on the list and have done so.

Although in theory we are full one of our members, Beachboy, hasn't managed to race yet in this series, he's been moving house I believe. I'll have to try and contact him to see if he's likely to rejoin. So depending on that answer there is a reserve spot that might actually be available to race most weeks (we've never quite had a full room of 16 yet).
Is your PSN ID the same? I'll drop you a friend request if so, that way I can then send you an invite on race days if there are spaces free.

I like your avatar by the way. Anything cat related is good for me. :)

Today's weather forecast for Barcelona...

After a damp start to the day it will become dry for a period around lunchtime followed by a chance of further light showers throughout the afternoon.

ā˜ļø

Interesting!

Last edited:
Results from Barcelona

Race 1

Barcelona Race 1 MON.jpg

Race 2

Barcelona Race 2 MON.jpg

A bit frustrated around the 23 minute mark @richroo? šŸ˜œ

**I think that I can see your pit strategy problem though - and perhaps that of others.

You only have a wet and dry strategy. Because the types of tyre choices are different between the 2 cars you need to create individual strategies for both cars with all types of tyres.

M1 wets/soft slicks/hard slicks and M3 wets/slicks.
(You need to be in each car when you create the strategy)

That way the pit crew will know what to do and not resort to the default (which is often do nothing!).

Last edited:
Richroo the coolest Gu1tar player ever having a sod it moment!

I guess the reasoning was "if I destroy the rear tyres maybe, just maybe the crew will notice they need to be changed"

So and since apart from that (very nice I might add) gtp_Hun aka flat twelve bloke :gtpflag: ... nobody writes about what happened ... I had to call raeggee and ask what happened to him in the M1 race. Apparently he also got everything mixed up with pit strategies and after a few failed attempts to have his tyres changed to dry he had to eventually pull over and stop the car to sort the proper pit strategy. LOL he probably should've learned from Rich and opted for doing a few rage-donuts to get the crew to understand what was needed!

Last edited:
just maybe the crew will notice they need to be changed
Except, if you look, they then just changed the rears and the left the fronts on. šŸ˜†

nobody writes about what happened ...
Oh sorry.
M3 race - qualified Ok-ish. Then team Alfonzo Rodin followed each other around for a few laps (avoiding Rich!) and were on for a good score, until I looked at the position hud at the wrong time, caught a puddle mid corner and spun out. Spent the rest of the race recovering a few spots (and melting my front left tyre in the process).

M1 race - Team Alfonzo Rodin qualified very well, 1st and 2nd! Then followed each other around for a few laps and were on for a good score, until one of us spun out - on the same corner actually! I managed to keep Joe at bay while trying to maintain my tyre temperatures - both of which wasn't easy.

How's that? šŸ˜‰

Raeggee made 3 stops. I think he was after extra pitstop points.

Last edited:
Hey teammate, get out of my cars..
Oh I hadn't noticed. That'll be why he didn't get his tyres changed then, the pit crew were confused about which car it was.

Going to sack my pit crew, didn't change my tyres, so my wets rubbish at end.
That was possibly because of
You only have a wet and dry strategy. Because the types of tyre choices are different between the 2 cars you need to create individual strategies for both cars with all types of tyres.

M1 wets/soft slicks/hard slicks and M3 wets/slicks.
(You need to be in each car when you create the strategy)
Only 3 races to go John, so let's hope the dice say they are in the dry. (I'm pretty certain the endurance race will be dry throughout)

**I think that I can see your pit strategy problem though - and perhaps that of others
Yes, it's that @richroo didn't utilise the 'cheeting' strategy, they fit the nitro booster for the 2nd stint šŸ™ƒ
Edit: they've changed the website and I don't like it...I can't fix the quotation formatting šŸ™„

Last edited:
Experienced my first drive at Mugello today...

God what a nightmare, so tight and twisty, no long sweeping corners, straights or run off, awful scenery, god forbid I was ever there on holiday...

Someone sprayed colours all over the track, think they might have been Hungarian.

34467-Mugello_2020_Tuscan_Grand_Prix-ab12704a62f50b2d2ea1b5584eb45914.jpg

Last edited:
Experienced my first drive at Mugello today...
Really great, track, on 2 wheels 4 just, natural and feel. MotoGP bikes do 200mph, on longest straight.

Track History Mugello maps video's.

Last edited:
So Monday's race at tight and twisty Mugello will be held on June 6th.

The weather forecast?

After a cloudy start with a possible early rain shower the day will clear up and should remain dry, although there is a chance of it turning a little murky towards early evening.

Last edited:
Hi All
fortunately i can't make it monday so a space available ..
sry half just means we need some good results from you :)
will join if anyone is practicing later šŸ˜“

šŸ˜§
Unfortunately maybe? šŸ˜‰

Football?

Yes it's a good track, especially for online racing. There's not really any troublesome very slow corners and it's mostly nice and wide so hopefully it'll be a good clean race.
I really like the track btw, was just being ironic/sarcastic! It's pretty much the opposite of all the typical problematic tracks.

Sounds like there could be rain though to ruin your optimism for a clean race?

I really like the track btw, was just being ironic/sarcastic!
I knew. šŸ˜‰

The rain should soon clear away, so if everyone take's it a little cautiously to begin with we should be OK (it's much like last week actually). However I've not had a chance to test it out so I don't know if puddles form anywhere.

Review (can't say "quick" this time lol) and my pov video

First off, it was nice to be back!

I had a couple of very difficult, very nerve-wrecking races last night, but they were - both of them - great! Have to say I had almost no practise time for this monday so I had my "marks" (especially braking distances) all very fuzzy. To my advantage, I am very familiar with this track, from PS3 games of old like Ferrari Challenge, (here's a LINK to a online victory from some 12 years ago, very poor video capture, amazing how technology progressed since) and of course I know the cars being used.

Race 1 - Managed a front row place alongside polesitter @AndreasR and followed him through the entire first lap. Then he went wide in corner 1 of the 2nd lap and I managed to slip through (after some side by side perfect cornering with him, it was nice that we both managed it in the rain)

From then on he patiently followed me, always very close, and I suspected he was just waiting for a mistake, I was clearly slower in a full lap.

And that's what happened, with 1.30 minutes to spare I blundered my entry into the main straight and Simba breezed past, leading the race into the flag. Nicely done!

None of us pitted for slicks. Later I talked to raeggee and he told me he had made that mistake, but wasn't too downbeat about it (got FL because of it and recovered from 12th out of the pits into 8th in a single lap or so he told me. Still, he was 6th when he pitted so it wasn't the good option)

Race 2 - Again front row, but this time with the polesitter ( @Saltyjoe90 ) doing a pole lap almost one full second ahead of the field!!! I have no idea what happened to him in the M3 race but he clearly wanted to get it right with the M1. Nice to see raeggee 3rd on the grid I think this was his best grid placement ever.

I was very slow off the line and was briefly menaced by both Simba and raeggee into turn 1 but managed to hold to my 2nd position. After that and for about 15 minutes all I did was try to keep in touch with Joe. I think in one full lap he was faster, but IMHO there was a crucial section of the lap where the line he repeatedly chose was both harming him and giving me a great advantage. I'm talking about the "esses" before the last corner. You can see how differently we were doing them in my video (take for example the first two laps, you can see how different our lines were if you pause the video at 47:48 and 49:44 into my video). This gave me a great advantage because it pretty much anulled all the time I could have lost previously in that lap and, crucially, allowed me to be very close to his car at the start of the long straight. So, despite me being worse in an entire lap, I was doing marginally better where it mattered the most (if you are following another car).

Still, I only got close enough to go for the overtake (and getting to first place) after some 15 minutes, at the start of the 8th lap!

Then, a important moment happened close to the end of lap 9 (you can check the sequence of events starting at about 1:03:00 into my video)
1. I got some breathing space between me and joe (about 1 second) and we were both coming close to lap my team mate @John Wells.
2. I used my private in-team connection to ask John to let me through (lol)
3. John let me go through right after the infamous "esses"
4. Since joe lost a couple of tenths in the esses he only got behind John at the last corner
5. So joe had to overtake John while cornering, losing another couple of tenths in the process (we got to 1.4 seconds of difference)
6. And joe pitted immediately after!!!!!

Now we were exactly at the mid race point and I know I have already lost the inaugural race to joe (Suzuka) because he did a perfect undercut there (and then, under pressure, I messed up). And I know that's what's going to happen here, because he will have fresh tires for at least one more lap than I will and that can easily mean 1.5 seconds (plus worn tyres mean usually more probable and costly mistakes).

So, I was basically left with two options:
1. pit one lap later, probably lose 1st place and try a (unlikely) repeat of the first part of the race
2. delay pitting for as long as possible, manage the tyres, try not to lose much time and finally, pit without changing tyres

(I did the math, the race would last 8 or 9 laps more. If I kept the tyres on I would gain 8 seconds against all those that changed their tyres, and from the gap I had to joe I figured he had them changed. So the 8 seconds less inthe pits meant I could lose 1 second per lap to joe until pitting myself. It would be close, but in the end, it was the only option I realistically had to try and win the race).

And so ... it worked! :gtpflag:

But it could've gone either way, this was decided by a couple of tenths, I couldn't believe it myself how close it was. At 1:19:45 into my video is when I first look back and see a car coming I thought "it's Suzuka again, I lose". But it wasn't Joe, it was @Pantheons, with Joe behind but with a gap good enough for me to get into the track between them.

After that it was a question of holding the lines as tight as they could possibly be and pray that my very worn out tyres were still good enough to carry me for one last lap. And they did, I crossed the line with half a second to spare!

Great race Joe, both the direct battle on track we had in the 1st half and the tactical battle in the 2nd. Very very close! :cheers:

EDIT - Also, it was great to see raeggee in the podium! :cheers:

Last edited:
Yes indeed, a great race write up Mario. šŸ‘
It almost took me as long to read it as the race.

M3 - didn't really qualify due to the usual racing driver problem of a couple of cats who decided they wanted feeding at the most inappropriate time. Nevertheless had a good race scrapping with various drivers. I nearly swapped onto slicks, I think it would have been a good choice early on but but I left it too long for it to be effective.

M1 - started 9th. Worked my way up to 4th. Spun out on those "esses" while trying to hold off Andreas (and I couldn't get the damn car pointing forward again!). Finished 7th. But again some good racing in between.

amazing how technology progressed since
And how many trees they've cut down at Mugello. It was like driving through woodland in Ferrari Challenge.
I have no idea what happened to him in the M3 race
No doubt he'll post himself, but I think he said that for some reason his car was fitted with slicks even though it was wet. Odd!

Good news - maybe (I'm quite fast in the wet). The last race in the M cars will be in the dry. I'm going to overrule the dice because Silverstone is very difficult in the wet. The puddles are a bit unrealistic and cause often unavoidable aquaplaning. Not great for racing. šŸ˜€

Latest Posts

Back