The Boxer Spirit: Page 11 - The Gathering

Philippines
Manila, PH
TakuKanonji22
Greetings! Well, this is another spin-off that I wrote during lunch breaks in my practicum work. Damn, practicum really does keep you from playing GT5, but it's also just as fun.

Oh, I'm coming up with something big here. You'll find out soon...

==========================================================

Page 1 - The Phantom Hachiroku

In a remote countryside in Britain, a newly-opened racetrack attracts various car enthusiasts. It's an open track day, and high performance cars are there to set lap times.

One of the people present is a 35 year old man named Charles Tyson. He tears up his yellow TVR Griffith 500 in the course.

He sees other cars trying to keep up, but the TVR's lightweight chassis and its powerful V8 engine are its best assets for track performance.

8032580410_f3920799b5_c.jpg

Charles: "TVRs are the best, chaps!"

8032581469_61bb748d9f_c.jpg

8032581267_6d668d8600_c.jpg

However, he sees a small spec of a blue car at the rear-view mirror. It gets closer until Charles recognizes the car's front end.

8032579816_2f6b2e9ced_c.jpg

8032579576_4250084d1e_c.jpg

Charles: "A Subaru BRZ!?"

The BRZ even has stock performance, as evidenced by narrow tires and stock exhaust pipes.

Then, that BRZ brakes late, managing to overtake the TVR.

8032580671_78707c4831_c.jpg

Charles: "Woah! You little..."

8032579106_ebc51edec2_c.jpg

The Boxer engine's low position allow the car to have a low center of gravity that provides stellar handling.

However, the BRZ's measly 200 horsepower engine does not really pack a punch on the main straight. Charles' TVR easily overtakes it as a result.

8032580235_a3ec625c16_c.jpg

Charles: "From here on, I'm gonna go all out!"

However, the BRZ is also light, allowing it to brake late before approaching the first corner and turn faster. As a result, it negates the advantage that Charles has.

8032579969_f1e9caac2a_c.jpg

Charles: "How could this be!? My car is a proven track day weapon! How could a luxurious 200 horsepower car can keep up?"

8032579755_de62851fed_c.jpg

Approaching a loop, Charles slows down his TVR to 130 KM/H. However, the BRZ doesn't and takes that loop at 160 KM/H.

8032578252_96a25922ca_c.jpg

Charles: "You fool! Your car can't make it at that rate of speed!"

However, the BRZ just flies by...

8032579291_1829efd53d_c.jpg

End of Page 1

Page 2 - BRZ Sighting

Charles returns to the pit lane to take a break. He simply could not believe at what just transpired.

Charles: "Unimaginable! It's like a maelstrom of pure malevolence! That BRZ is just staggering! I'm sure the driver has something to do with it too."

He looks for the BRZ, but it's nowhere to be found.

Charles: "Oh well. I won't be so easy on him next time!"

It's a cold evening in London, plus traffic jams are everywhere on the streets. Amidst the traffic, a man gets out of the taxi and runs at the sidewalk as if he's in a hurry. After running like what it seemed forever, the man finally enters in his apartment. He carries a paper bag along, signifying that he came from a grocery. He presses the doorbell upon reaching his room, and a woman (who turns out to be his mother) lets him in.

Mother: "Oh, you've finally arrived, Ricky..."

Ricky: "Sorry, traffic jams are everywhere."

Mother: "Okay lang, basta kumpleto ang ingredients natin sa Adobo."
(It's okay, as long as the ingredients for Adobo are complete.)

With that language, it turns out that they are Filipinos. The mother resides in London for over 30 years. Initially, she worked as a servant in one of the richest families in Britain, but then she quit her job after a "mishap" and she moved on to another. The moment when Ricky reached 25, he took the initiative of taking a job as a column writer of a magazine and is now a breadwinner.

Ricky: "Tawagin mo na lang ako pag nakahain na sa mesa ang hapunan."
(Call me if dinner is served on the table.)

Mother: "O sige."
(Okay then)

Ricky gets in his room and takes a rest.

Mother: "Hay naku, talagang meron siyang namanang ugali sa kanyang ama; diretso sa kama pagdating sa bahay!"
(Good grief! He really did inherit something from his father; going straight to bed upon arriving home!)

While taking a nap, Ricky's mobile phone displays an text message from Charles. He and Charles are good friends both on and off from work.

"Hey, let's meet at the coffee shop next door."

Ricky: "Oh well... At least that would keep me from being bored."

He stands up and fixes his hair. Then he puts on his jacket and heads out.

Mother: "Saan ka pupunta?"
(Where are you going?)

Ricky: "Makikipagkita lang ako kay Charles. Babalik rin ako agad."
(I will meet up with Charles. I'll be back in a jiffy.)

Ricky joins Charles upon entering the coffee shop.

Ricky: "Hey Charles! What's up?"

Charles: "It's fine. Though it's not that fine..."

Ricky: "What do you mean?"

Charles: "I lost in a race."

Ricky: "Huh, you're still at it. Well, what happened?"

Charles: "An underpowered Hachiroku beat the snot out of me. I can't keep up with it..."

Ricky: "Really? Hmmmm.... Well, the new Toyota 86 really is praised by everyone."

Charles: "I know, right? But I did not expect it to catch up with my TVR."

Ricky: "Well, losses are part of one's life."

Charles: "How about you? Are you finished on your article?"

Ricky: "I'll just proofread it and it will be finished tonight."

Charles: "That's good. Hey, how about we go to France tomorrow? Since there's no work, we can go to Circuit de La Sarthe and you can experience my TVR's performance."

Ricky: "I don't know... maybe I have to submit my article tomorrow. I'll probably report for duty."

Charles: "I see."

The next morning, Charles is at the Circuit de La Sarthe in France, busy setting up his TVR before he can have a run. He observes the pit lane, which is rather empty.

Charles: "That's odd. Usually, there are a lot of cars here already at this time."

Suddenly, he once again sees the BRZ at the main straight.

8034091603_d0420a2741_c.jpg

8034091128_676c88566f_c.jpg

Charles: "It's that car again. What are the chances of seeing it?"

End of Page 2

Page 3 - The BRZ's Little Secret

Cameras are mounted all over the track, which allow Charles to view the BRZ in action.

Charles: "Since the BRZ has a modest power output, one can easily drive it."

8049845286_bfca849d5c_c.jpg

8049845138_24aa73dee1_c.jpg

Charles: "But to drive it fast, it's a different story. One must know the BRZ's brilliant chassis. And the advantage of having the Boxer engine's low center of gravity comparable to a supercar."

The BRZ speeds at a rather sluggish 200 km/h at the famous Hunaudieres Straight. But then...

8049839191_ddfcf01b32_c.jpg

The car did not brake at the 200 meter mark approaching the first chicane. Rather, it starts to slow down at the 100 meter mark instead.

8049844740_c98e9797b7_c.jpg

Charles: "Normally, cars will brake at the 200 meter mark because they carry a lot of speed. In the BRZ, since top speed is the car's weakness, the driver can brake much later. And that's the reason why I was defeated!"

And then the car showed amazing speed at the chicane.

8049844550_564b50dcc1_c.jpg

Charles: "Woah! It just swept through there! Now I know why! Since it has a modest power output, the driver can compensate it through the corners! But that person must keep his foot planted on the accelerator to make it possible!"

After a while, just as he is about to enter his car, Charles sees the BRZ stop at the pit lane.

To his shock, the driver of the BRZ is Ricky all along! Ricky waves his hand upon seeing Charles.

Ricky: "Hey there, Charles! It turns out that I can go after all!"

Charles: "Ricky, you..."

Ricky: "Why so surprised? I'm just driving a plain and simple sports car, you know? One that a blue-collar job worker can afford."

Charles: "You're the one driving it after all, huh? I was just taken by shock last time. But now, I won't lose to you..."

Ricky: "Really? Well, your car has lots of advantages over my car, so I guess I'll lose."

Charles: "Don't talk like you're the most humble person on earth. You have skills of a madman. Listen, we can settle this. Next week, there is a closed city street race in London organized by the FIA."

Ricky: "Splendid! Well, I'll join and do my best."

Charles: "See you there."

Ricky: "Okay then!"

Then Ricky goes back to his car and leaves the track. Charles clenches his fists.

Charles: "How? How could someone like you be my rival? How could a magazine editor acquire such impressive skills?"

At the evening, Ricky arrives home. He parks his BRZ at the basement and then enters his room at the 11th floor. Upon entering, he sees his mother standing and crossing her arms.

Mother: "Saan ka na naman nanggaling?"
(Where have you been?)

Ricky: "It's the weekend, Mom. It's normal for me to go out."

Mother: "Oo nga. Pero dala mo pa yung kotse mo. Diba titigil ka na dyan sa ginagawa mo?"
(Yes, I know. But you brought out the car again. I thought you will stop this?)

Ricky: "Mom, I'm a grown man now. I know what I've been doing. Please, let's not argue about this again."

Mother: "Meron ka talagang pinagmanahan sa walang kwenta mong ama! Wala ka ngang British accent eh. Nasaan siya sa oras ng pangangailangan, ha? Iniwan lang niya tayo! Pwede ba itigil mo na yang Racing mo? Dahil naaalala ko ang ama mo sa bawat oras na ginagawa mo yan!"

(Your really have inherited something from your good-for-nothing father! You don't even have a British accent. Where is he in times of need, huh? He just left us! Can you just stop racing? Because I just remember your father each time you do that!)

Ricky: "Wala akong pakialam kung wala akong British accent! At hindi ko ikinakahiya ang aking ama dahil isa siyang mahusay na racer. Maginhawa naman buhay natin dito ah! May iniwan siyang pera para sa atin para kahit papaano, makabawi siya!

Mom, you can't stop my aspirations in life. I have a goal in mind, and I have decided to pursue it."

(I don't care if I don't have a British accent! And I am not ashamed of my father because he is a great racer. Our lives are prosperous here! He left money for us to somehow make up for it!)

Mother: "Ricky..."

Ricky: "There will be a race next week. Protest all you want, but I'll definitely join."

Ricky then gets out of the room, leaving his mother worried.

End of Page 3

Page 4 - The Love Child

The next day, Ricky heads over to a tuning shop just a block away. He stashes his BRZ in the shop. He talks to the shop's owner named Steven Anderson whom Ricky met first when he had just started racing.

Steven: "What brings this bloke here?"

Ricky: "Well, as you may know, there is a race here this coming weekend."

Steven: "At last, you heeded my advice. No matter what you do, the BRZ is underpowered by today's standards. Tuning work is definitely needed."

Ricky: "Yes, you're right."

Steven: "Well then, just leave it to me."

Ricky: "Oh, I also want to repaint the car. Blue is rather too mainstream for a Subaru. I want it silver for a change."

Steven: "No problem. I already have parts for your car since I knew that one day you'll come crawling here."

Ricky: "Hahahaha! Well, thanks man. I owe you one."

Steven: "Maybe you should be heading back to work now."

Ricky: "Right. Well, see ya!"

Ricky waves his hand goodbye as he leaves the shop. Steven goes to the garage and takes a look at the BRZ.

Steven: "I guess it's time to work, then. With Ricky's talent, the tuned car will definitely be a rocket."

While walking home at the evening, Ricky notices some organizers at the street busy putting some guardrails and sponsor stickers and flyers. The race is obviously just around the corner.

Ricky: "This is it... In a matter of days, it's time to prove myself once again."

Meanwhile, he receives a phone call from Steven.

Ricky: "Hey, Steve, how's the car?"

Steven: "Well, I'm done lightening it. Now, I just gotta add some power in it."

Ricky: "That's rather quick."

Steven: "It's not a heavily-tuned car, right? Things like this would definitely be quick. You'll be fetching her just before the day of the race."

Ricky: "Alright. Thanks for the help, man."

Steve: "It's such a pleasure doing this, chap."

Two days later, the streets are closed for the race. The crews are busy setting up their cars. Charles suits himself up as he watches his crew setting up his car. He looks around for Ricky, but is nowhere to be found.

Charles: "Did he back off or something?"

The race starts in a rolling manner. Charles and his TVR quickly grabs the lead thanks to its lightweight body matched with a powerful engine.

8058086353_85ffca02e8_c.jpg

Charles: "I was unprepared last time. Now, I'm all ready to beat you. I know you're somewhere at the back of the pack. Unfortunately for you, the technical nature of this track favors my car!"

8058084546_c4de31d3a9_c.jpg

Ricky does start from behind, now with his tuned BRZ.

Ricky: "I'll make sure that I'll surprise you once again, Charles. Just watch, my dear friend."

8058086207_ca7a47a0cd_c.jpg

Charles: "British sports cars are known for their nimbleness. You think your BRZ can keep up with me this time?"

8058086207_ca7a47a0cd_c.jpg

8058084022_9be747cfcc_c.jpg

Then, the Griffith 500 displays its power on the main straight, making it seemingly difficult for his opponents to catch up.

Meanwhile, Ricky moves his way up in the competition.

8058083838_47880c7672_c.jpg

Ricky: "This car is tuned to 250 horsepower along with slight weight reduction. You may say that this is hopeless, Charles."

The tuned BRZ demonstrates its improved handling by easily overtaking a Nissan 350Z at the first corner.

8058083726_a66050207f_c.jpg

The onlookers are stunned at the BRZ's cornering speed while almost scraping the guardrail at 100 km/h.

8058083532_a5e6329d28_c.jpg

Then it's the start of another lap. While the BRZ clears the first corner...

8058083402_25230f8627_c.jpg

....someone has witnessed its stellar performance.

8058759595_74c24f4bde_c.jpg

"Interesting... So that is the one that everyone is talking about."

Little does Charles know that his friend is approaching.

8058083222_ea90cc5717_c.jpg

And then...

8058085019_91ac46cc72_c.jpg

Charles: "That BRZ... it has the same license plate as before! How could he keep up? By the looks of it though, it seems that he modified it."

Approaching the next corner, Ricky performs lightning-fast heel-and-toe footwork while downshifting. The BRZ corners at 100 km/h, which takes Charles by surprise.

8058084857_cb3999df87_c.jpg

Charles: "Are you insane in the membrane? You'll lose control!!!"

However, Ricky just puts up a grin as the two cars are now side-by-side at the corner.

8058082684_8a350b203c_c.jpg

Ricky then goes at full throttle, outrunning Charles at the corner exit.

8058084477_111b335781_c.jpg

Charles: "Unreal..."

And Ricky once again takes the victory.

8058082324_35f6bea69e_c.jpg

Ricky: "You have no idea, Charles, for who I really am. I am...

...Ben McCarthy's biological son! His racing genes run through my blood!"

End of Page 4

Page 5 - Son and Protege

In a suite room in a hotel in London, someone pours hot water on an instant ramen. He closes the lid and puts the chopsticks on it as he waits. The person in question is no other than Takanori Kanonji. He is also watching the news as he waits for his instant ramen to cook.

Then he hears the doorbell. He opens the door and lets his twin brother named Takuma Kanonji in the room. Takuma has gone shopping from a department store just across the street.

Takuma: "I smell instant ramen again. You know, you're gonna die if you keep eating that."

Takanori: "I'm hungry! And I miss my home, my wife, and my kid."

Takuma: "Yes, yes. But are you familiar with something called "Room Service", huh?"

Takanori: "I know that, Aniki! It's just that I had too much of Western food for now. The steak last night will guarantee me more pounds on my weight, you know?"

Takuma: "I'd love to see you get fat and lose that so-called "sexy" body of yours. Hahahaha!"

Takanori: "Me too, I'd love to see that happen to you as well."

Takuma: "Well, let's see who gets fat first. Anyways, have you watched that race?"

Takanori: "Of course! That Ricky guy is truly amazing, huh?"

Takuma: "I wasn't able to, because I had some commitments here. For one, I have to renovate Otoosan's home in Dunsfold."

Takanori: "Not only that, but his BRZ is also interesting to note. It only has sports exhausts and a bodykit. But I'm sure something was done under the hood as well."

Takuma: "The new Hachiroku's chassis is proven to be tuner-friendly. EJ20 swaps are not unheard of."

Takanori: "Huh, an EJ20? Well, it can fit there."

Takuma: "But anyways, are you sure of hiring him? I'll be the one doing a more detailed background check. Remember, winning one race doesn't make you a legend immediately."

Takanori: "Alright then, I think you're the one fit for that job."

Takanori then stands up and starts to eat his instant ramen as his snack.

After the race, Ricky immediately returns his BRZ to Steven's shop.

Steven: "How's the car, Ricky?"

Ricky: "Perfect. Or shall I say, "Kanpeki" since it's a Japanese car."

Steven: "Well, I have yet to finish on working on this car. But I'll show you something you'll really love."

So Steven leads Ricky to the back part of the garage and presents the latter a white Subaru Impreza STi S206 NBR. Ricky just opened his jaw in awe.

Ricky: "How the bloody hell have you got that? It's a Japan-only Impreza!!!"

Steven: "Remember, when there's a will, there's a way. So, shall we head to the Nuburgring?"

Ricky: "When?"

Steven: "Next week. So file a leave for work and let's head there."

As planned, Ricky filed a leave at his work and then the two head to Germany and plan to stay there for 3 days.

At the first day, they immediately head to the Nurburgring, with Ricky piloting the Impreza.

8059353553_272e343bf5_c.jpg

Ricky: "Impressive! It grips the way I want to!"

Steven: "Of course. It's tuned to conquer this track, you know?"

8059353263_8e65cc15a7_c.jpg

Ricky: "But I don't feel that increase in power, you know?"

Steven: "It'll be more expensive if it had."

However, they hear a very loud noise approaching them.

8059353059_7a2ac72b61_c.jpg

Ricky: "Huh? What's that I hear?"

Steven: "If it's a very fast car, then I think you should give way..."

8059350738_6276c706e8_c.jpg

A carbon-fiber bodied, Pagani Zonda R is approaching them at a very high speed.

Steven: "A Zonda R, eh?"

Ricky: "It's really fast!"

8059352573_750a41982a_c.jpg

Without a moment of hesitation, the Zonda R just squeezed past by.

8059350298_1900866584_c.jpg

Ricky: "Woah! That's dangerous!"

Steven: "6 minutes and 47 seconds.... It sure is a monster."

8059352179_46c9279159_c.jpg

Ricky: "Agreed. But the driver must match the car."

Then Steven notices the Japanese license plate on the Zonda R.

Steven: "Don't tell me that..."

Ricky: "That what?"

Steven: "We have just witnessed the skill of 'The Black Stig'."

Ricky: "The Black Stig?"

Steven: "He's known for bringing the Zonda R in the streets of Tokyo."

Ricky: "Really!?"

Steven: "Yes. And he's the protege of your father..."

Ricky: "I see..."

8059349858_f4b80dbbe5_c.jpg

Steven: "That person was raised by your father as if he's his own son."

Ricky: "..."

Steven: "I'm sorry... I shouldn't have told you that."

Ricky: "It's okay. I have completely gotten over it. I know what my father did after I was born. Now, I'm eager to meet that person..."

After completing the lap, the Zonda R stops at the pit lane. Getting out of the car is Takuma Kanonji in his Black Stig outfit. He takes off his helmet and brushes off his hair with his hand.

Takuma: "That's a nice run."

Then he sees the Impreza stopped too. The two men get out of the car. Ricky instantly sees the Zonda R and Takuma.

Ricky: "Is that...?"

Steven: "He is Takuma Kanonji. He is The Black Stig."

Seeing that Ricky is staring at him, Takuma approaches the man.

Takuma: "Omae wa Ricky ka?"

Ricky: "Pardon? Look, I don't understand Japanese... probably a little, though."

Takuma: "Hehehehehe... I guess I gotta give Takanori a really vigorous noogie this time."

Ricky: "What?"

Takuma: "My brother is interested in you."

Ricky: "Your brother? You have an impressive skill handling that kind of machine."

Takuma: "Ben McCarthy is my sensei... and my father."

Ricky: "Really? Then we must be brothers!"

Takuma: "What are you talking about?"

Ricky: "You see, I am Ben McCarthy's real son! So he adopted you, huh?"

Takuma is shocked at the core upon hearing that revelation.

Takuma: "Omae wa Otoosan no hontou no musuko ka?" (Are you Otoosan's real son?)

Then Ricky puts up a grin on his face.

Ricky: "Heh... Nang dahil sa iyo, namatay ang aking tatay. T:censored:g I*a ka."

(Heh... Because of you, my father died.)

Steven: "Ugh... Enough of your foreign language lecture and a get a grip.

Ricky: "So, you will adopt me to your team?"

Takuma: "I have to gauge your abilities. Of course, what we did there a while back is pointless. I didn't know that you are driving such a rare car. Even back home in Japan, that NBR Impreza is so rare."

Ricky: "I'll prove myself, then. After all, I join in races too."

Takuma: "There's an upcoming touring car race. I guess you gotta impress us, the Kanonji Twins, so as to earn a spot in our team. Deal?"

Ricky: "It's a deal."

Ricky and Takuma shake hands with the latter still in shock from that revelation.

Takuma: ("I can't believe it... Otoosan never told me about having a son.")

End of Page 5

Page 6 - Imprezzive!

The next weekend, Takanori is at the Circuit De La Sarthe practicing with his white Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R.

8062704322_3fa5c0caff_c.jpg

The R32 hits 320 KM/H at the first part of the Hunaudieres Straight before approaching the first chicane.

8062703998_6d24df92be_c.jpg

8062703333_6a1c3398c7_c.jpg

Then, Takuma calls him up via the radio.

Takuma: "Hey, crybaby! Head over to the pits, I'm showing you something."

Takanori: "Roger that..."

Takuma: "Sounds enthusiastic. Well, you asked me to pick a car for Ricky, and I have it with me now."

Upon arriving, Takuma shows Takanori what Ricky will use in the upcoming race, which is another Subaru Impreza sedan, but a heavily-tuned one painted in Plasma Blue Silica.

Takanori: "Whoa..."

Takuma: "Looks nice, isn't it?"

Takanori: "Is that a JDM-spec Impreza?"

Takuma: "No it isn't. I don't want to go to all the trouble of getting one from Japan. This, my beloved twin, is a UK-spec Impreza."

Takanori: "It's right hand drive, all right. But what's the difference?"

Takuma opens up the bonnet.

Takanori: "Looks serious."

Takuma: "That is a 2.5 liter engine. Cosworth did the honors of tuning it."

Takanori: "2.5 liters??? Haven't heard of it."

Takuma: "UK-spec Imprezas have a larger engine, but with only a single-scroll turbo. JDM Imprezas, on the other hand, have a twin-scroll turbo. I asked the people from Cosworth to bring out the best of that engine. As a result, it now has 545 horsepower with a misfiring system."

Takanori: "Impressive! Cosworth is really an ace when it comes to engine tuning."

Takuma then throws the keys to Takanori and the latter catches it.

Takuma: "You do the driving. I did a lot of work to check on that Ricky guy and getting this car. Let's make this even."

Takanori: "All right, then."

Takuma: "And he's... Otoosan's biological son."

Takanori: "What!? Really???"

Takuma: "Just get in the car. I'm not in the mood of thinking about it right now. I'm still in shock."

Takanori straps in the Impreza and starts the engine. The trademark burble sound of the Boxer engine has gotten meaner.

Takanori: "Ooh, that's a good sound."

Then he sets off. The Impreza's wide body allows for better aerodynamics, thus increasing cornering speeds.

8062703364_12dc83fe64_c.jpg

8062702503_d6d5a3ac48_c.jpg

Takanori: "Amazing grip!"

The Impreza turns in sharply, and rockets away from the corners thanks to the 4WD traction and the misfiring system that removes lag.

8062702035_2400046e9e_c.jpg

At the long straight, the car clocks in speeds of 300 km/h.

Takanori: "Not bad, considering the high amount of downforce this car has."

And then he tests the brakes by slowing down at the 100 meter mark. The car does it brutally.

Takanori: "Woah!!!"

As Takanori steers the car, it follows the flow and hugs the apex.

8062701617_441826bf80_c.jpg

8062700793_a2bd80cfd6_c.jpg

Takanori: "I hate to admit it, but this...

8062700644_580c9d31d3_c.jpg

....turns better than my R32!"

End of Page 5

Page 7 - Assembly

A week later, Ricky is back home in London. It's morning there, and he is still blissfully sleeping as he has a day off today. His mother is watching TV while drinking coffee in the living room.

Suddenly, a phone rings very loud. The mother picks it up, and then yells out Ricky's name. Ricky slowly rises up from the bed and scratches his head.

Ricky: "All right, all right."

He messes up his Harajuku-style hair as he scratches his head while reaching for the phone.

Ricky: "Hello?"

Takuma: "You know who this is."

Ricky: "Takuma? Why have you called?"

Takuma: "Bring yourself to Italy. Just pack your stuff and head there. Your mother knows about this already. We had booked a flight for you. I'm with your car that you will use for the race."

Ricky: "Whoa... that's all too sudden."

Takuma: "Just get over here. Don't waste this opportunity."

Ricky: "All right."

Takuma: "It's ironic, isn't it? We share the same father, and yet you don't have his harshness. Well anyway, see you there. The plane will leave for Italy at sundown. So get your butt moving."

The call ends and Ricky puts down his phone.

Takuma is in Italy along with Takanori. They head over to Alessandro Rossi's garage to check on the Impreza.

Takanori: "Aniki, should we really have him go here?"

Takuma: "We have no choice. Alessandro insisted to bring the car here for further tuning. Oh that stubborn old man. Besides, we are just a stone's throw away from the Monza circuit. We might as well kill two birds in one stone."

Takanori: "Okay. Hey, could you give me a minute? I have to make a call."

So Takanori heads outside to make a call.

At evening, Ricky arrives in Rome. An orange Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 arrives and Takanori steps out from the car.

Ricky: "Takuma?"

Takanori: "Nope! I am his twin. I am Takanori Kanonji, and it's very nice to meet you!"

Ricky: "I see. Your face looks 100% Takuma. The color of the hair sets you apart, though."

The two get in the car.

Ricky: "Let me ask you, Mr. Kanonji. Why did your twin have to pick me?"

8082499998_ac7393c39f_c.jpg

Takanori: "I was the one, actually. I saw your performance in London.

Ricky: "Aren't you a very popular racer? You should have a team, right?"

8082505941_ca4db87a26_c.jpg

Takanori: "Exactly. I am forming one."

Ricky: "Huh?"

Takanori: "I am gathering the fastest race car drivers mankind has ever known. And you, could make the cut."

8082499588_6def0a16a8_c.jpg

Ricky: "Huh, I am just as skilled as... Oh, I don't know."

Takanori: "Don't look down on yourself! You should very well know why I chose you! Anata wa Ben-san no musoko da yo! Densetsu o tsudzukeru yo!"

Ricky: "I see..."

Takanori: "I'm sorry for that brief Japanese outburst. You can continue his legend... that's what I meant."

Ricky: "Heh... I can. Who says that I can't?"

Takanori: "That's the spirit!"

Takanori shows his signature thumbs up to Ricky.

The next morning, at the Autodromo Nazionale Monza...

8081288329_988ea724bb_c.jpg

Ricky: "Whoa!"

8081288013_e1a1b62e99_c.jpg

The heavily-tuned Impreza rockets away at the corner exit, making Ricky's head lunge towards the seat.

Ricky: "That instant blast!"

8081287829_bfb85828fb_c.jpg

Ricky: "The car turns sharply. Is this a rear wheel drive car or not?"

8081281978_137e592b25_c.jpg

Ricky: "Great handling. Well, the boxer engine's low center of gravity already provides it from the very start."

After a few laps, Ricky returns to the pit lane and steps out from the car.

Takanori: "How is it?"

Ricky: "It's a beast."

Takanori: "It's a good shakedown today. I just got it yesterday from the tuning shop."

Ricky: "So, I guess the competition will be tough, huh?"

Takanori: "Indeed. In fact... many had applied for my team. Prove that you're worthy enough to take the last spot."

Ricky: "The last spot?"

Takanori: "That's right. I only need one more member."

Ricky: "..."

Takanori: "The pressure is on, I know that. But I know you can do it."

Takanori gives a pat on Ricky's shoulder.

In Japan at sundown, a red Ferrari F40 tears up at the Suzuka Circuit.

8081287177_524eb38a98_c.jpg

Driving the car is none other than...

8081283264_4d738df732_c.jpg

...Nobuhiko Hiramoto.

8081283134_b0c124f36b_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "Takanori-san has found a potential recruit. Hmmmm... I think I'll head over to Europe to check it out."

The F40 performs a magnificent drift at the hairpin.

8081288547_7587c95859_c.jpg

Nobuhiko: "I think it's time for us to assemble. The grand plan is about to start!"

8081288149_42e229cfd2_c.jpg

End of Page 7

Page 8 - Taking The Blame

Ricky and The Kanonji Twins head to Germany to further discuss their plans on the upcoming race. They are at a cafe in Ahrweiler, waiting for their food to be served. Ricky shows an unenthusiastic mood, however.

Takanori: "Maybe you're wondering why we ended up here, huh?"

Ricky: "Yes."

Takanori: "The race will be at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, that's why."

Ricky: "I see."

Takuma: "It may seem to you that competition will be tougher. Well, you're right. But there is a bigger challenge in store for you."

Ricky: "What is it?"

Takanori: "Aside from the difficulty of the course and the rivals, we issue a bigger challenge for you. We do this to our applicants, and yet none has made the cut."

Ricky: "What is it? Sounds very challenging..."

Takanori: "If you can reach the top position in just ONE LAP, then you're in."

Ricky: "Huh? That's impossible!"

Takanori: "You are Ben-san's son, right? His racing genes run through your blood. And your performance has already impressed me; but there is more to that, you know?"

Takuma: "He's right. Prove it to us that you really are..."

After they eat lunch, Ricky goes off alone, thinking very deeply about what is he about to do.

Ricky: "Am I really worthy enough? I'm just a magazine editor that knows how to drive, and that's it."

He kicks a rock, but suddenly Takuma manages to stop the rock from rolling when he stepped on it.

Takuma: "Hey, come with me."

At the afternoon, they head to the GP layout of the Nurburgring.

8086242235_d32a2c37b4_c.jpg

Takuma: "Don't be discouraged, Ricky. You made it this far."

At the first corner, Takuma intentionally puts all the power, so that the Zonda can perform a power-over drift.

8086240838_3cc4864c7f_c.jpg

Ricky: "You're good at controlling this 750 horspower beast, Takuma-san."

8086241631_59c05be5f1_c.jpg

Approaching another corner, Takuma steps on the brakes and rapidly shifts down via the paddles behind the steering wheel. He controls the accelerator this time to make the car corner precisely.

8086240300_9333545e04_c.jpg

Ricky: "How was my father to you?"

Takuma: "He was harsh, but despite that, I saw it through. He was a very loving father."

Ricky: "I'm sure you've gotten these techniques from him."

Takuma: "He would even threaten me to not let me eat supper if I hadn't beaten a benchmark lap time on a track. And you know what, it happened to me. 20 times, to be exact."

Ricky: "I see. That's why you're really good, huh?"

Suddenly, Takuma sheds a single tear.

8086239930_c6bb143df1_c.jpg

Takuma: "Forgive me, Ricky. Your father died... because of me."

Takuma tries to fight back his tears.

8086240713_ea075fb6ec_c.jpg

Takuma: "I should have been the one that took the bullet. I'm very sorry, Ricky. Though I would understand if you won't forgive me..."

Ricky then looks at the passenger window on his right and briefly closed his eyes.

Ricky: "It's okay. It's not your fault, Takuma-san. No one liked what happened. Even though he's not on my side for my entire life, I already knew how great he was. I have no hard feelings. Actually, I want to thank you, for letting me know more who he was."

Takuma: "..."

Ricky: "And this conversation, I will let it stay here inside the car."

Takuma: "Ricky, you will be a great man in the future."

End of Page 8

Mind giving me the setup you're running for your R32 TC? I can't seem to get mine to perform at the level of the normal version.

If it's stock, then that's fine.

Page 9 - One-Lap Magic (Part 1)

It's another Saturday. But not just an ordinary Saturday in the Nurburgring Nordschleife. The track is closed for the racing event in which Ricky will join in.

At the pit garage, Ricky dons his blue Subaru race suit. Takanori approaches him while Takuma helps the other mechanics in setting up the Impreza.

Takanori: "Good luck, bro. I hope you could make it."

Ricky: "I'm nervous."

Takanori: "Don't let butterflies enter your stomach, you know! Just drive like you always do!"

Ricky: "I'll try my best."

Takanori: "Hey, don't let your father down! Pretty soon, you'll be as legendary as he is."

Ricky: "You're right, I am Ben McCarthy's own flesh and blood. I'll try to be as ruthless as he was."

Takanori: "Not try, but you'll be!"

In the other pit garage, Charles is present as usual, but he is not going to compete. Instead, his older brother named James will participate with his green Jaguar XJ13 Race Car.

Seeing that Ricky will participate too, he approaches his older brother to give a piece of advice.

Charles: "See that blue Impreza there? The driver is bloody amazing. Don't make a mistake of underestimating him. I got beaten by him... twice!"

James: "You? You lost to that chap? You obviously lost your touch. Well, I'll heed to your words, then."

Charles: "He's persistent, and he'll try to lose your concentration. Don't fall prey."

James: "He has no idea what team I came from..."

Charles: "Yeah, you're from a team whose name is feared throughout motorsports. I don't even know why you have to join this rather petty race..."

James: "I have to keep myself busy. I'd race rather than staying in our boring home."

Then Ricky enters in the Impreza once done setting it up. He straps his 5 -point harness and puts the gear lever into neutral.

Takanori: "Good luck, buddy."

Ricky: "I'll do my best."

Takuma: "She's all set. Just make sure his genes kick in, okay?"

Ricky: "I wonder how my father motivated you..."

Takuma: "We'll talk about that later. For now, go out there and win. Let's see if you can crawl your way up to the top."

The race starts in a rolling manner.

8104112746_a0092d4eef_c.jpg

Ricky: "Do I really have to be at the dead last? Sounds like a real challenge!"

Then Ricky sets his eyes on his first opponent.

8104112582_cc54349cf3_c.jpg

Ricky puts more pressure on the accelerator, and the turbo spools up quickly. It easily overtakes the SC430.

8104112430_b03e7e12c5_c.jpg

Ricky: "All right! 540 horses at work!"

At the pit lane, the Kanonji Twins discuss matters.

8104112266_7d9586324b_c.jpg

Takanori: "Aniki, I think we have found our last member for our team."

Takuma: "Why say so?"

Takanori: "I can see flames of determination. And he reminds me of Ben-san."

Takuma: "Really? How can you say that? He's far from being harsh."

Takanori: "It's not that. Ben-san's driving is aggressive, the one that will give his opponents a lot of pressure and then suddenly overtake."

Takuma: "You're right. He loved toying around with his opponents."

Takanori: "But I think it'll be hard for Ricky to apply it here. This is the Nurburgring. This is no playground. One mistake here can be costly. It really is a challenge to overtake all of your opponents in one sweep of a lap."

8104097033_932068d70c_c.jpg

8104096883_bcac1f8383_c.jpg

Takuma: "And overtaking can really be tricky as well. Most of the track is narrow. And it'll be difficult if you're facing a cluster of opponents squeezing themselves in that narrow width.

8104111712_71434bcf64_c.jpg

Takanori: "But this track is the longest in the world. You'll have lots of opportunities to overtake, but all are dangerous."

Ricky now closes in to James' XJ13.

8104111538_dd9b082bd1_c.jpg

Ricky: "What's that bizarre spectacle over there? Ang angas ah!"

James is taken by surprise upon seeing Ricky's Impreza hot on his car's tail.

8104096331_4276883d58_c.jpg

James: "Oh bloody hell. How could this chap be on my tail?"

Ricky: "Ooh, what a lovely car. What is that?"

End of Page 9

Page 10 - One-Lap Magic (Part 2)

At the pits, The Kanonji Twins still talk about Ricky.

Takanori: "By the way, how did you find out that he's the biological son of Ben-san?"

Takuma: "He simply told me. And by his looks, he does resemble Otoosan... with an Asian twist."

Takanori: "How are you accepting this?"

Takuma: "Well, I simply accepted it. And besides, we had a talk regarding this matter."

Takanori: "I see. What did you guys talk about?"

Takuma: "Whoops... it will never go out from the interior of my Zonda R. It'll just be between me and Ricky."

Takanori: "Oh well... Anyways, I starting to think that the Impreza might not be enough for the task."

Takuma: "Why say that?"

Takanori: "The lead car is a Ford GT with more power than the Impreza. How could it be? And the Ford GT is not a heavy Yank Tank. I have driven one and it can kill a Ferrari or a Lamborghini."

Takuma: "But which has more torque? That's the question... The race limits the car horsepower only up to 600 HP. And yes, the Ford GT almost reaches it. But our Impreza has a lot more torque, you know?"

Back in the race, Ricky and James are battling halfway through the track.

James: "Such a persistent being. There's no way that a ricer can beat my machine!"

Taking advantage of the 4WD traction, Ricky attempts to overtake at the outside.

8104096091_a2297a9724_c.jpg

James: "You little..."

Ricky: "This is not a ricer! It's a racer! This can kill a supercar at a fraction of the price!"

The Impreza's immense torque allows it to blast away from James' Jaguar.

8104110916_e039fd2b30_c.jpg

James: "Bloody quick!"

Ricky then turns on the communication system.

Ricky: "I am in 2nd place now!"

Takanori: "Amazing! What did I tell ya? You can do it!"

8104110740_dc369b3c00_c.jpg

8104095507_8e5f8980db_c.jpg

Ricky: "You can do this, Ricky... You can do this."

Ricky then applies more pressure on the accelerator. The turbo boost kicks up at 1.5 bar.

8104095311_f80694063e_c.jpg

Takanori: "Remember, the lead car is a Ford GT. It's a seriously fast car even with minimal tuning. Gambatte!"

8104095149_3e327c3990_c.jpg

Ricky: "Roger that."

Then Takuma grabs the radio from Takanori.

Takuma: "You will not eat supper even if you're just a teeny bit slower."

Ricky: "What!?"

Takuma: "That's exactly your father said to me when I started my racing career. Go out there and win! Make him proud!"

8104095025_d9bef52565_c.jpg

Ricky: "I definitely will!"

Then he sees a speck of the Ford GT's spoiler.

8104109960_d20be662cd_c.jpg

Ricky: "Nakita na kita! Di ka na makakatakas!"
(I saw you now! You can't escape!)

He's now closing in to the lead car at the Karrusell hairpin.

8104094713_1290dca0e6_c.jpg

However, the Ford GT seems to have changed its pace. It has set a gap between them at the corners.

8104109592_b270945052_c.jpg

Ricky: "Takanori-san is right. The Ford GT is one hell of a car."

8104094371_a3e11dbd74_c.jpg

The Ford GT and the Impreza put up an equal fight. Then Ricky decides to finally overtake it.

8104094221_de1df98eb6_c.jpg

Ricky: "You think a rear wheel drive car can do this? I think not! I shall show you the capability of the Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive system!"

8104109048_856c7f2cb6_c.jpg

Ricky: "All right, I took the lead!"

Takanori: "Judging on the time that has passed, it seems that you are close to the goal. Amazing job! That's Ben-san, all right!"

8104108880_fc38409aab_c.jpg

Ricky: "I can't believe it... I've done it!"

Back at the pits, Takanori goes in the garage with a smile.

Takanori: "We now have team."

Takuma: "Hmph. Very nice... What will be the name?"

Takanori: "The Dream Alliance."

Takuma: "What? Such a tacky name."

End of Page 10

Latest Posts

Back