The boys are going their own way...

peterjford

I <3 GT Kitty!
Premium
United States
Orange County C
GTP_Im_Sorry
My sons used to watch racing with me. I love to watch Formula 1, they preferred monster trucks and trophy/stadium trucks. That was ok, they are both going to be too tall (probably 6'4") for open wheel race cars anyway. Now they are not as interested in racing, but if something with Dinosaurs or Harry Potter is on, you can't tear them away.

I started them with Mario Kart and tried to move them over to Gran Turismo. Nope, they want to watch youtube videos of other people playing Minecraft or Lego Jurassic World instead. Or they play some games on their tablets.

When I work on my Jeeps I always invite them to help, or beg them to help, or offer them money to buy more Legos to help. But no, greasy old engines and rusty suspension don't interest them.

They are currently 5 and 7. Staying at home during these COVID-19 times are tough on them, but they are growing up to be their own person. I guess that is better than forcing them to have my interests and hobbies.

I think a PS5 and GT7 (if I can afford THREE wheels and pedals) might come for Christmas next year. There still is a chance to get them in the GT Planet world.

5 and 7 might I suggest a couple of go-carts. Entertainment don't buy new carts buy used so they (and you) will have to work on them . Before you know it they are hooked on racing.

Yeah, they're a bit young yet. F1 and wrenching need a level of attention to detail that they're unlikely to be interested in just now. You definitely want them to have their own minds, that way when they come back to you it's because they want to, not out of some obligation.

Your hobbies and interests are influencing them much more than you think (or that might be showing at the moment)... You doing the right thing, just let them be them.
Just be there when they need you and you will get the rewards one way or another.

My sons used to watch racing with me. I love to watch Formula 1, they preferred monster trucks and trophy/stadium trucks. That was ok, they are both going to be too tall (probably 6'4") for open wheel race cars anyway. Now they are not as interested in racing, but if something with Dinosaurs or Harry Potter is on, you can't tear them away.

I started them with Mario Kart and tried to move them over to Gran Turismo. Nope, they want to watch youtube videos of other people playing Minecraft or Lego Jurassic World instead. Or they play some games on their tablets.

When I work on my Jeeps I always invite them to help, or beg them to help, or offer them money to buy more Legos to help. But no, greasy old engines and rusty suspension don't interest them.

They are currently 5 and 7. Staying at home during these COVID-19 times are tough on them, but they are growing up to be their own person. I guess that is better than forcing them to have my interests and hobbies.

I think a PS5 and GT7 (if I can afford THREE wheels and pedals) might come for Christmas next year. There still is a chance to get them in the GT Planet world.
I must say I definitely respect you for not forcing them into something they may not be interested in. Give them the opportunity, if they take it or not will be up to them. And at their age, it can still totally come back around to them. I wouldn't say their gone yet...

5 and 7 might I suggest a couple of go-carts. Entertainment don't buy new carts buy used so they (and you) will have to work on them . Before you know it they are hooked on racing.
I echo the karting statement. I don't know about buying them one or not, but some rental kart racing may spark their interests again. Especially if they get competitive with each other.
Yeah, they're a bit young yet. F1 and wrenching need a level of attention to detail that they're unlikely to be interested in just now. You definitely want them to have their own minds, that way when they come back to you it's because they want to, not out of some obligation.
This too. 👍

Although easier said than done at times, show interest in the things they like (as long as it is something positive). Whether your realize it or not, you as their Dad being around to do things they enjoy makes a difference.

Edit: Better to raise leaders instead of followers.

Last edited:
Back