VTiRoj

Howdy 🤠
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
RoJJieE
mb6roj
The Bread Van vs The Rally Car – Capri Rally

I’m pretty sure most of you have read my Impreza vs Integrale – Capri Rally race report, which took place at Capri easy. Well I’m back, to continue the story with the Capri hard race. Ready?

For your information:
Car:
Subaru Impreza Sport Wagon WRX STi Version VI (GF) ‘99
BHP: 365
Equipped parts: Full stats here.

Race: Capri Rally (Hard) – Costa di Amalfi Normal
Laps: 5
Prize for winning: Cr.20,000
Opponent: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Rally Car ‘03
A-Spec points: 127pts

My Impreza Wagon, known as “The Bread Van” among friends and “The Ghost of Capri” among racers. I don’t understand the Ghost part myself, but I see why the local racers regard me as the best racer around. Even though, officially, I’m not a racer. That win against the Integrale months ago sparked furious competition. To name a few, the Renault 5 Turbo, Celica GT-Four, Lancer Evolution 6 and the Impreza Spec C have fallen victim to my Wagon’s brutal speed on the downhill. That Spec C was a good challenge though, I do admit.

However, a week or 2 ago the Impreza fell victim to one of it’s most deadly foes, mileage. The fact the engine survived for over 200,000 miles is a miracle itself, but to do that mileage whilst almost every day was being pushed to the limits is more like the work of God himself. So yeah, mileage finally won the fight against my Impreza. The result was an engine that needed to be replaced ASAP. No amount of rebuilding and maintenance would undo years of wear and tear. So with the money I saved up from my wages at the bread shop, I rang up the guys at RCV Motor Works, who happened to have some spare Impreza parts lying around.

A huge bill and a week later, my Impreza was back doing the deliveries. Thanks to RCV, the Impreza was 10 times better than before. More power, more control, more comfort, to sum up, this Impreza was more. So there I was, coming back down from my latest delivery, passing through the 10th hairpin and I see a white Lancer up ahead, except it didn’t look like a showroom model. This thing looked like it just came from the WRC.
Impreza27.jpg

I floored it, the new EJ20 under the bonnet of my Impreza roared like I’d never heard an Impreza roar before. The Lancer in front obviously noticed my sudden burst of acceleration, because not too soon after my pedal hit the floor, so did the Lancer’s.

Let battle commence.
Impreza28.jpg

All the way down the beachfront the distance between the Lancer and my Impreza stayed constant. My Wagon was on par with a WRC machine. I braked slightly later than usual coming into the 1st hairpin, putting me right up against the Lancer’s backside upon corner exit.
Impreza29.jpg

Impreza30.jpg

Impreza31.jpg

The 2nd hairpin proved to favour the Lancer, as it pulled away slightly on corner exit, but my Impreza ate the gap whole coming into the 3rd hairpin.
Impreza32.jpg

Impreza33.jpg

Impreza34.jpg

Exiting the 3rd hairpin, the Lancer’s quicker acceleration got me again, but leaping into the 4th hairpin had me right on it’s backside once more.
Impreza35.jpg

Impreza36.jpg

The Lancer pulled away as it’s slick tyres helped it maintain a higher cornering speed on the 5th hairpin, but my Wagon kept up with ease racing along the summit.
Impreza37.jpg

Impreza38.jpg

This changed though, entering the 6th hairpin, which marked the beginning of the descent downhill, my Impreza’s light weight and high power would make it do something that even the Lancer wouldn’t have expected.
Impreza39.jpg

Impreza40.jpg

My speedometer shot up to 120mph in an instant, my body was held against my seat like my seatbelts were tightening every second. The acceleration stunned even me, let alone the crowds that had their jaws wide open. I saw a gap between the Lancer and the wall, just big enough for the Impreza to squeeze by.
Impreza41.jpg

Shooting past the Lancer with insane pace, I broke hard coming into the 7th hairpin. My brake disks glowed bright orange as they tried to stop 1310kg of Impreza from hitting anything. The brakes proved to be very good as my Impreza slowed down just as fast as it sped up. I flew round the 7th hairpin, the Lancer watching in awe as my Wagon pulled away with ease.
Impreza42.jpg

Impreza43.jpg

Impreza44.jpg

Impreza45.jpg

I took a deep breath and readjusted myself in the seat. Realising what I’d just pulled off I looked in my rear view. That Lancer was getting smaller and smaller as I got faster and faster.
Impreza46.jpg

Coming up to the sweet combo that is hairpins 8, 9 and 10, the Lancer caught me right up, but after some clever handbrake work, it was again falling behind after the exit of the 10th hairpin.
Impreza47.jpg

Impreza48.jpg

Impreza49.jpg

Blasting down the beachfront I noticed my speedometer pass the 130mph mark. Braking hard into the 1st hairpin again I looked in my rear view, no Lancer.
Impreza50.jpg

Impreza51.jpg

I continued driving hard until I realised the Lancer had plain given up. I had seemingly done it. I had beaten a Rally Car around Capri. No doubt I will be ambushed in celebration upon my arrival at the shop. And no doubt the local racers will have a new nickname for me.

I got back to the shop, parked the Impreza out back and sneaked in through the back door, trying to avoid the mass of people who I assumed we’re going to dog pile me screaming with joy. But I was wrong, I was greeted by my friend who ran the shop, but instead of a “well done”, I got a letter. I walked over to the front of the shop where everyone was. The whole room went silent. I opened the letter, it seemed everyone suddenly got closer by a meter. Expecting a huge bill of some kind I pulled the whole paper from the envelope, but I only saw 1 sentence.

“Roj, you have become a street racing champion, but have you ever thought about professional racing? Come to Laguna Seca and we’ll talk.”

I saw a signature at the bottom of the letter.

“Doug Smith.”

Looking up at puzzled faces, I looked over my friend.

“I’ll be away for a bit, I’m taking the Impreza too. Think you’ll cope with deliveries without me?”

He responded by shaking a set of Toyota keys at me, then nodding with a smile.

goodbye Capri, i'll miss you.., :( :dopey: yet, the story just got more interesting with the added drama & suspense.., :D

Man, at first i saw the name of this thread and i was like "NO WAY, he's taken Capri in a Daihatsu Midget?" :)

Great work...LOVE THE PICTURES, TOO MAN! :) Wouldn't it be great if you guys could get paid for this stuff? :)

Man, at first i saw the name of this thread and i was like "NO WAY, he's taken Capri in a Daihatsu Midget?" :)

Great work...LOVE THE PICTURES, TOO MAN! :) Wouldn't it be great if you guys could get paid for this stuff? :)

LOL :lol: What made you think of a Midget? It's hardly a van. :P

I accept donations. ;)

Well in gT2, the Midget was sometimes referred to as a "milk truck", which is a very old joke from years ago. So it isn't much of a stretch that the Midget (either the 3-wheeled version or the Midget II) could deliver bread as well. I'm sure all over Europe & Asia, such a small vehicle is actually employed in such service. :lol:

For some reason, I was expecting the Honda Life van. Now that would be shameful.
I tuned one with turbochargers and nitrous, that thing sounded like an aeroplane taking off :D (isn't it weird how you can pack more nitro on a smaller car?)
Dunno how it would have done here tho.

That Impreza wagon is a nice car, I had a race-modified one in GT2 that used to be one of my favourites :)

Great story! 👍

Not sure how I'd managed to overlook this until now. :guilty:
Great work again VTiRoj & a nice little teaser to end it with.
I feel a "To be continued....." coming on!! :lol:

Hey this is great Roj! You can either make a new chapter of this or RTN But i love the Bread Van!!! I hate NTSC because i have failed to buy a model of that impreza only the one with the circular front lights :P Now i'm kinda collecting Imprezas.

VTiRoj

Hi VTIRoj

How come you said He responded by shaking a set of Toyota keys at me, then nodding with a smile.When you get a Ford RS2000 Rally Car:confused:

Last edited:
SVX

Hi VTIRoj

How come you said He responded by shaking a set of Toyota keys at me, then nodding with a smile.When you get a Ford RS2000 Rally Car:confused:

It wasnt the prize car's keys he was shaking at me. It was his own. ;)

*attempts a guess in the Bread Van's model*

Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX STi Version III (GC) '96

Am I right?

BTW: Really nice story!!!

I don't really visit the GT4 forums that much, in fact I haven't in almost a year!. Im glad I felt like checking them out or I would have never stumbled across this awesome story!👍. I really enjoyed it and I also thought the pictures were brilliant:tup:. I was quite surprised to discover what the 'bread van' was though, I expected it to be the Honda Step Life Van, not an Impreza wagon!:lol:.

Ive also just started to check out your 'Remember The Name' story in your sig.👍

This brings back some awesome GT4 memories I have, shame the disc died a while back.:(

Great work VTiRoj!👍

Tommi:)

*attempts a guess in the Bread Van's model*

Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX STi Version III (GC) '96

Am I right?

BTW: Really nice story!!!
Think 3 years newer. Also the exact model is listed on the first post. :P
I don't really visit the GT4 forums that much, in fact I haven't in almost a year!. Im glad I felt like checking them out or I would have never stumbled across this awesome story!👍. I really enjoyed it and I also thought the pictures were brilliant:tup:. I was quite surprised to discover what the 'bread van' was though, I expected it to be the Honda Step Life Van, not an Impreza wagon!:lol:.

Ive also just started to check out your 'Remember The Name' story in your sig.👍

This brings back some awesome GT4 memories I have, shame the disc died a while back.:(

Great work VTiRoj!👍

Tommi:)

Great to hear! I dont think a Honda Step Life Van can beat rally cars though. :lol:

Shame about your disc indeed. :(

Latest Posts

Back