The Caterham Cup - FinishedPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 521 comments
Anyones thoughts on the best 'sounding' car in PC2? and your favourite track?

Best sound, easy winner - The Panoz Esperante. The awesome sound of thunder! (Although not everyone might have it. Part of the season pass motorsports pack)
Best track - Hmm, depends on the car I suppose. Maybe Brno or Watkins Glen could be high on my list.

Worst sound - The Renault Megane Trophy is a bit whiney I find. I was going to use it otherwise.
Worst track - The Mercedes Benz ice track doesn't get much use. The aurora there at night is lovely though, I've sat and watched that! Worth a look.

i tried the laferrari the other day thinking of buying one,
Try the Ferrari FXX-K, that's quite nice.

Last edited:
@Hun200kmh I watched your video, wow that looks like so much fun! And what a beautiful car. If anyone is curious what I'm on about, click 'having fun' under any of Mario's posts, it's a hyperlink...

@Pantheons I tend to like the sound of the old cars best! And the LMP classes often sound a bit weird to me, kind of low and croaky.

Last edited:
The Panoz Esperante. The awesome sound of thunder! (Although not everyone might have it. Part of the season pass motorsports pack)
Thanks, but haven't got that one.
Anyway, it was for a couple of friends who were coming round (who hadn't raced before) last night, they had fun on a couple of ovals with a formula something car 31 AI's at 99 skill and 99 aggression (offline), starting at the back trying to get to first place in 5 laps. Total lunatics, refused any advise on safety!!! but was funny.

Try the Ferrari FXX-K
Couldnt find that one

Last edited:
@Hun200kmh I watched your video, wow that looks like so much fun! And what a beautiful car. If anyone is curious what I'm on about, click 'having fun' under any of Mario's

Thanks! Wasn't that long ago but it seems ages to me now. About the English Hill Climb I attended but couldn't remember the name, I checked my digital memoirs and it was Shelsley Walsh.

Onboard videos don't give you much a sense of speed, every time I reviewed them after the events I found them rather tamed compared to what I experienced. In any case if you want a glimpse of what "Having fun" looked like from the outside I can give you about 40 seconds of it

Watching Mario having fun

Thanks! Wasn't that long ago but it seems ages to me now. About the English Hill Climb I attended but couldn't remember the name, I checked my digital memoirs and it was Shelsley Walsh.

Haven't heard of the track Mario, great car those plus 4s.👍

Results from Brands Hatch

Race 1 and 2

BrandsHatch Race 1 and 2 MON.jpg

Race 3 and 4

BrandsHatch Race 3 and 4 MON.jpg

Congrats to everyone, especially 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. And a very very well done team guitarrichbeachboy
Really enjoyed my 1st season of proper racing, very well run.

PS. Yes please to next weeks endurance

Same here, count me in for Monday. Well done to everyone for a great championship and really appreciate the effort that goes into organising, such a great introduction to championship racing for a newb and looking forward to the next one...

Congratulations to Andr... Wait A minute!!. Oh damn I'll have to get the trophy re-engraved.

Ok I'll try again.
Congratulations to Mario (Hun200kmh)
For his overall Caterham victory.
giphy.gif

Have to say I'm pretty useless with the 300 SP... so you guys just got yourselves a new moving chicane
Oh yeah. :sly:

And a honourable mention to runners up Andreas and Rich.

--------

And (I suppose ;)) well done to
Guitarthreerich and beachboysixtysix
For their win in the team event

(I told half_sourly to fiddle the scores. He's too honest.) :)
Thanks to all those who took part, I hope you enjoyed it again.
And many thanks to @half_sourly for his continued magic at working on those scoring tables.

More details of next week to follow.

Last edited:
To save making a new one just for this I'll keep this on the Caterham thread.

The general opinion so far is that most of you don't seem to mind having a go at one longer race. So...

MP7BAHL-LQAAAAMMD_.jpeg

In something like a F1 race, for next week only the it'll be the Formula Renault 3.5 at Spa-Francorchamps.
The car is fast but not too extreme and has loads of grip so isn't easily thrown of coarse. It can take the Eau Rouge corners flat out - if you're brave. It's good even in the rain, even better on wet tyres! Spa every one knows and doesn't get drenched in the rain. There are a few puddles that form but they can be avoided.

There'll be 5 minutes qualification - just to get everyone in the lobby successfully - followed by a 75 minute race. There will be variable weather conditions (not random anymore*) that will probably require tyre changes. The tyres will wear and may need changing anyway. Fuel use will be on and should probably be monitored.

* Random proved to be too random at times which I thought might be too extreme for our first long race. So I took control of the weather changes. If this race is successful maybe we'll try random some other time.

Pitstops can be left on default but the pit crew don't always fit the tyres you think you need, so it might be best to set up some strategies or adjust on the fly.

Damage - Visual only, to get everyone through to the end. It is an open wheeler after all.
Mechanical damage - Off. It can end a race dead I've found.
Tyre wear - Accelerated.
Fuel use - Normal
Penalties - On
Track limits - On
Drive through penalty - On
Forced interior view - Just to even everyone up. It's a nice clear view with good side vision.
No compulsory pitstop - though will probably need to!
Set ups - Default. No tuning.

The Renault does have a Drag Reduction System (DRS) that can be activated at any time - there's no zones. It lowers the downforce so it's best to use it wisely in choice spots and times! The button will need to be mapped so you can activate it - there's no KERS so that could free up a button.

One important change. At the start NO overtaking until after you've passed the 1st corner. It's a long race so let's not crash at that tight turn. Accelerate away fairly slowly until you've rounded the corner. Obviously if someone has crashed into the pit wall you can go by them! :)

I'll take that number 24 car above.

I've probably forgotten something so I'll update if I think of anything. Questions?

Last edited:
Quick review and my POV video:

Race 1 - Wasn't stellar. Did 2nd in quali behind @AndreasR /Simba but jumped the start (6:45) . The game didn't notice it but I did ... so I backed off to concede position back to Simba. In the process lost 2nd position to @richroo. Followed them in the first and second laps. Coming to the end of lap 2 then Simba goes wide in the last corner (very uncharacteristic of him) and Richard takes the opportunity and the lead. Simba tries to keep him close and choses the outside line for Paddock Hill , almost side by side with Richard, but that proved a mistake because it allowed me (very close to both) to tuck with the inside line and keep at it all the way up to Druids where I managed to hold to second. So now it was Rich-Hun-Simba, closely followed by @Saltyjoe90 in these opening laps.

Then, at the beginning of lap 4 ... disaster :crazy: ! Rich had a poor exit from Clark into the main straight and defended the inside into Paddock Hill, I went to the outside and we eventually touched (you can watch it all from both POVs, mine starts at 9:05, Rich's at 10:40) . I have to say than when it happened I was all "WTF Richard!!!!!" but when the race ended my son entered the room where I was playing (he was watching the live stream in his laptop) and he said something like "you should apologize for taking out the race leader like that!" . I was all "Whaaaa .... ?" :dunce:. We decided we would do a full review of the incident so I saved the replay. After all the races had finished we did a complete analysis, with slow motion, several cameras, from both cars and from the car behind (Simba) and the verdict is ... shared responsability! Richard moved a bit left, I moved a bit right. Racing incident (but I'd like Richard's view also and now I get that from his own POV he must have thought I was a moron that crashed into him!).

But whatever, we both crashed and we both recovered to 4th and 5th, ending 3rd and 4th thanks to Joe going off track after Druids. I spent all the rest of the race trying to overtake @Pantheons but he was a wall I couldn't breach. Could be better, sorry Rich! :dopey:

Race 2 - The Random Grid thing wasn't too bad, I was 4th but noticed the very fast @Saltyjoe90 and @Pantheons were even better, and the previous race winner @AndreasR was 5th. Should be interesting ... :nervous: my main goal however was to not jump the start once again.

First lap was interesting I held 4th place in the first couple of corners and even managed to overtake @Saltyjoe90 into 3rd (22:30) when he went wide but then I had a brain fade moment and my car departed from teh track (not sure where it wanted to go ... Wales?) on the approach to Clark (22:40). I regained the track 7th, behind @IfAndOr . All things considered, not bad for a first lap grass excursion.

From then on I did a "recovery race. Managed to overtake Paul into 6th, and litle after I watched (moment 24:00) a funny moment of confusion unfold before my eyes, involving @beachboy6658 , @richroo and @Saltyjoe90. They all went out and suddenly I'm 3rd (@Pantheons leading, @AndreasR in 2nd)!!

By lap 5 Simba (untouchable with the Seven at this track) overtook Simon at Druids (25:35). So, we were again in the same positions where we had ended the previous race, and at that point I thought "ok, now we're settled, only mistakes can change this outcome now"

And that's precisely what happened, Simon went wide after Paddock Hill Bend (27:10) and that's how I gained 2nd position. From that point on I followed Simba to the end, came close but no realistic oportunity to overtake. A flawless drive from Simba, again I do think he was clearly the best Seven driver yesterday.

Come mid-point from the racing night I was quite content with my results, my losses to Simba in the championship were minimal (2 points in race 1, 1 point in race 2, but since I had both FLs, in the end I was only losing 2 points)

Race 3 - I did a good quali, earning pole position, then it was a lights-to-flag race with nothing much to tell. I was keeping an eye on the menacing black shadow in my rear view mirror (Simon's car ;) ), at times very, very close, but then I guess Joe caught him and they were entertained fighting each other, giving me some peace. In the end Simon lost 2nd position to Joe, and that's how it ended. Again I had done fastest lap, so I still kept denying that extra point to my competitors :P and now I was mathematically the winner of the Cup, even if I was disqualified in the 4th race not even a victory by Simba (with FL) could change that.

Race 4 - Well, what can I say, my prayers and offerings to the Gods of Random Grid Making were once again rewarded with pole position! :sly:

So once again I did a lights-to-flag race, with Simon overcoming the field to achieve a solid second. And he could've won this because ... 1:19:50 happened !!! :crazy::crazy::crazy::dunce::dunce::dunce: Stupid me had noticed my best lap was a 1.22,0xx and I was trying to achieve that elusive 1.21 (with the help of boosts) in the last lap. So **** happened but thankfully I managed to (barely) retain the lead and win the race.

Here's my POV video

Final thoughts:

1 - I'm very, VERY glad that I met you guys and entered this cup with you. Regardless of the result (that obviously makes me happy also) it was great fun to be able to regularly meet up to practise and chat, and also to race and be silent! ;) it's a great group and I'm glad I'm now one of its members.

2 - Many years ago I used to be the organizer of online events with a group of people that by now has all but vanished from both gtplanet and online racing, so I know (and vividly remember) the work involved in keeping it all together, and attending to all, reviewing incidents, making judgement calls and in the end deciding what to do and where to go next. You can never think everyone will agree with you, in fact it is garanteed that you can't get everyone happy with yourc choices and decisions. All this to say that I have enormous respect for the work Paul has done and keeps doing to keep this group going and having fun events for all. I can only suspect the time lost in trying cars, tracks, options (length of races, tracks to use, lobby settings, etc). So a big THANK YOU Paul, if anyone is a winner here, you're that one.

3 - There are many outstandingly quick players here, I'd say Simba, xeronima, Richard and Napalm are probably the ones that more consistently occupied the front spots throughout the entire cup. I will however say that the driver that impressed me the most, because of his progression, is Simon. Came late into the cup, controller user (and that was noticeable to me at Bannochbrae) and that had to limit his ability to fine-control the cars. However, once Simon got a wheel, monday after monday the progression was remarkable. And his string of good results yesterday (with both cars (2nd - 4th - 3rd - 2nd ) is telling. Since I can't honestly consider myself a rookie, I vote him Rookie of the Cup! 👍

4 - The 300 ... Paul, I wasn't lying, soon before meeting you guys, I had made the Single Player Career championship with that car and I HATED it, kept spinning and I really didn't understand how I was supposed to drive that thing. By now I LOVE it, and I think I have an idea on how to race it! And so in a way I also grew a bit, and learned a lot, with this cup!

5 - A final word for my original teammate Skip, the first player from this group that I met online and practised with. I hope you are well and able to return to these races soon, I don't particularly enjoy being the oldest of the bunch while you are away, especially because I'm definitely not the wisest! :)

Cheers all, meet you at Spa soon! :gtpflag:

Last edited:
I've probably forgotten something so I'll update if I think of anything. Questions?

Apologies if I missed it but did you mention set ups - default or open? The level playing field created by default set ups is good and it focuses everyone on driving rather than engineering. But once we get into longer races there's more argument to allow tweaking to suit different strategies. I'm no expert myself but happy to share any knowledge I do have if we're opening up the set ups, and would love to learn more if we discuss them in practice sessions :)

I was all "Whaaaa .... ?
My often quoted phrase " It always seems MUCH worse at the time" is usually true. :)

I don't particularly enjoy being the oldest of the bunch
I'm not exactly sure that you are!

So a big THANK YOU Paul, if anyone is a winner here, you're that one.
Thanks for that. As you say it does take up some time before a series starts but once it's running it's not too bad. That's if you all behave yourselves! :P

Apologies if I missed it but did you mention set ups - default or open?
Ah yes sorry, I said I'd probably forgotten something. It's an age thing, Mario will agree. :)
Anyway just for this race I'm keeping it at default set ups. Since it's our 1st long race everyone will be on the same tyres at the start and it'll generally keep things relatively even. Maybe in the future I'll open tuning up. It might help for some cars and as you say allow for different strategies.

Yes great racing in the lotus cars well done to the champions thanks for the organisation. If you have a space for me would like to race Monday but if you have somebody fast that like to race imform me and can drop out.Have load of motocross to attend this year limits my practice but free if your short.

(but I'd like Richard's view also and now I get that from his own POV he must have thought I was a moron that crashed into him!).
Moron !
my veiw is i tried to push you to the out side but you was turning in early for the corner then pc2 decided we liked each other alot and mated us off to continue our foreplay . Yes in the light it was 50/50 but you may have not given me room on your line ? i would also be worried i might have run you off too.

I think that the thanks should go to the drivers that turn up every week that don't get in the top very often it those guys that keep the grid full and do there best .
hope you don't get put off and you have found improved times .. any help don't be afraid to ask .

Thanks paul, john ,half, andre. for your skills :)

Had my first go of the new car today with Simon & Rich. Great choice Paul, the formula Renault is really nice to drive. We didn't try it in the wet yet and I've not mapped the DRS so I'll try that soon. Found an interesting article below from PC developers about the car, it even has a time benchmark at the bottom if anyone's feeling fast :D (a good few seconds to go for me!).
http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/up-close-and-personal-the-formula-renault-3-5/

Morning OK had a play in the renault would like to race think it's great car hopefully I can get a some good results and keep up lol. Probably get a new wheel in this month try and help me think that lockuptec gt is past it struggle with brakes sounding like a f1 driver.

Last edited:
Yes the F. Renault is good fun, even cockpit view was great. Remapped KER button to DRS ( i need more buttons) so can test that later. Got to work out pits yet. Found the pit entrance after the third time of missing it. Whats the deal with track limits / penalties because theres a lot of room for interpretation.
Thanks @Hun200kmh, I got lucky this week + some good racers absent.

Last edited:
@IfAndOr Will pitstops be automatic (or whatever the correct term is for all I have to do is drive to the pit entry and AI does the rest)?

And adding to @Pantheons question, you said track limits will be on and I agree, else you can really take the mickey through Eau Rouge/ Raidillon and Double Gauche. Do you know what the penalty is for exceeding limits and not slowing down? Just thinking about going slow along Kemmel because the AI asked me to, then someone slamming into me.
EDIT: I should add that I did test this but seemed to get no penalty, despite getting the warning to slow down. That might have been because of the settings in the test race I was doing though.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back