The Caterham Cup - FinishedPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 521 comments
Turns 8/9/10 for me. That rapid succession of fast left-handers with dips and crests all over is very tricky with both cars. I rolled the Seven a few times just by hitting the kerbs and going over a crest at the same time (maybe corner 9, not sure), and I have been sent with varied degrees of violence (and varied consequences, from nothing to heavy crashing) into the right hand side wall just because the cars got unbalanced midway through those corners.

Point being, you must be milimetrically correct with the rumble strips or you'll be in (serious) trouble. And - even if that is a very fast section - you must "play" the throttle, flat out all the time isn't an option.

One thing I learned also is that we'll all need to keep our "greedyness" controlled. To attempt an overtake in that section is suicidal/homicidal and can ruin both your race and everyone else's. Not saying it can't be done and of course if the car in front made a serious mistake that slowed him down it's only just that you overtake and the limping car facilitates it. In any other situation, it can end in tears and most probably will. Patience is the word.

See you all later!

The rest of the circuit is easy. :P

Have you tried it in the seven? To reiterate what Xero said, you've either not tried it yet in the slidey seven, or your car control is insanely good! :lol:

Hope your shoulder is okay and you can make it @xeronima .

In the seven I find that the entire section over the mountain (4-8) is a series of sliding oversteer at all of the small tops when the road is dropping off from under the car.

mine is turns 24/25 (The pits)
getting it in is hard (she said )

:lol: I quite like the windy pit entry, so long as I brake soon enough leaving the straight!

Last edited:
Bathurst isn't the best of tracks to race around with a bad shoulder! :scared:

Have you tried it in the seven? To reiterate what Xero said, you've either not tried it yet in the slidey seven, or your car control is insanely good!
Actually I think that I prefer it in the Seven, it's softer suspension helps smooth out the bumps. And yes I have insanely good car control. I find that self belief makes up for my lack of ability. :D

Results from Bathurst

Race 1

Bathurst race 1 MON.jpg

Race 2

Bathurst race 2 MON.jpg

Well done all, i think the starts were better, less incidents. Its just the rest of the race lol. Personally, had a nightmare with the light and the cockpit view, but i've learnt I should try those out more. HDR mode on the TV made blacks realllly black, and the road surface was just all black, fix that tomorrow. Apologies for being a rolling crash magnet. Still enjoyed it, thanks

Quick recap and POV

Race 1 - Great clean race, 20 minutes battling Napalm, I made mistakes, he didn't, he was better, he won! 👍 :cheers:

Race 2 - From first to nearly last at the end of lap 1. After that it was a messy race. Tried too hard, wrecked the tyres, ended bad. The fact that I had to race using a different view meant that all my visual cues were changed but whatever, a race to forget ... :indiff:

Last edited:
the cockpit view
I had to race using a different view
Yeah apologies on behalf of PC2! The only thing I changed in that options menu was to remove the damage (so everyone would keep their headlights) so how the forced interior view activated is a mystery. Unfortunately I can't change it once the track has loaded. It's a good job the interior view is fairly unrestricted in the 300.

had a nightmare with the light
Now I can't allow for your TV. :) As you say it could be the HDR. I haven't got that on my monitor so I wouldn't know how it looked during testing. It didn't actually go fully dark as you can see from the videos, sort of twilight.
And yes the starts were pretty good.

@richroo I really liked to watch from 31:20 to 36:20 (although it ended badly for me), and I bet @Napalm_LT will love to watch that also! Thanks for that! 👍

Also ... 1:01:55 ... :eek: you lucky man! :scared:

EDIT - @IfAndOr no apology is due, we all know this game has the sad habit of deciding to change lobby specs nobody wanted to change. All game-quirks considered I think you've been doing an excellent job with smooth running events! 👍

Last edited:
Quick recap and POV

Race 1 - Great clean race, 20 minutes battling Napalm, I made mistakes, he didn't, he was better, he won! 👍 :cheers:
I tried to not overdrive a car and drove Seven like full damage was on. Probably to cautious on last laps :). Happily I had only one wall touch, but it was on the last lap.

I use 15 years old TV which don't have HDR of course :), so I didn't have darkness problem Pantheon mentioned. And I had a joker in the pocket for second race too :). I use cockpit view all time and the 300 race was "normal" for me :). Looks others had problems with it.
I had one spin with 300 too - cached someone of slower guys, he went wide out of the 4 corner, hit wall and it distracted me, I turned to much wheel to avoid him and spined. Or maybe it was my own mistake. Lost 2 positions there, but luckily I had 6 or 7 Kers and could catch Xero and Salty on last laps.

I enjoyed these races a lot :cheers:

Last edited:
It took me awhile to realise that your onscreen wheel wasn't turning Rich. Then it began to look odd. :P
Interesting that you both have the floaty drivers names and avatars on. I found that distracting and switched them off.

I tend to use the bonnet view in the Seven, mainly because the mirror gets in the way, and interior view in the 300. So luckily I wasn't too troubled by the forced view.

It helped that Napalm had sent me a cheque beforehand and said "Could you force the interior view on the 300 race, that'll slow some of them down a bit".
I'm expecting one from Pantheon next asking for races to be held in bright sunlight.
:D

Also ... 1:01:55 ... :eek: you lucky man! :scared:
Indeed! I wasn't quite so lucky. And neither was the spun RPREGO who I crashed into. Never mind, that's racing.

I didn't put a faster qualification time in for the Seven because I wanted to monitor you all at the start. Well done, you passed the not crashing test. So the 300 race was the usual standing start. ;)

Although I was never up near the front I still had a few good battles in both cars. And to be honest I enjoy that. 👍

But I'm assuming you will be supplying me with a new TV as compo.
If you could send me your HDR TV I'll send you my old non HDR plasma in return. ;)

Have you managed to tweak the settings at all to give you a better view in the darker areas? You're OK, the next 2 races will be during the day, but there maybe some nighttime running in the future and I wouldn't want to think you were at a disadvantage. I always think that what I'm seeing on my high contrast monitor is the same for everyone but that's not always the case.

Indeed! I wasn't quite so lucky. And neither was the spun RPREGO who I crashed into. Never mind, that's racing.

Ah, so it was my new teammate that started that chain reaction? I guess he understood that I was sent to the back of the field and decided to do something about it! :lol:

More seriously ... I was curious on what had started that monstrous pile up and went to check rich's video to understand but he also was caught by it after it started. My own experience of events can be seen after 1:00:35 and only thing I can get from it (just saw it again) is that suddenly the car I was following (Max) braked hard, I crashed into him and was sent to the left wall where I gave a good push (bump started I could say) Paul's car.

I saved this race's replay at the end so if I have time I will watch that pile up in slow motion and from various perspectives, it's always fun to do it

Last edited:
Ah, so it was my new teammate that started that chain reaction?
I too haven't checked the replays so I'm not exactly sure what was the initial cause. I just came around the corner and saw Ricardo's car suddenly appear in front of me. :eek:
Whatever it was there's no blame, it's such a tricky track to get right lap after lap. And just as difficult to avoid incidents in the narrower sections.

where I gave a good push (bump started I could say) Paul's car.
So that was you, thanks. I was wondering how I was going to extract myself from the carnage.

@Hun200kmh is there an easy way to share the replay file? If it's a pain then don't worry, I should have done it myself but was too full of adrenaline to remember after the checkered flag :lol:.

I struck lucky on these races on a few counts. Cockpit is standard for me and I'm on an old plasma screen as well, crap resolution but good night vision :D. Slipped through that pile up along with Rich unscathed and took the lead later on by just squeezing past Napalm and Xero after their incident. Lost it again on final lap when seeing a spun car the other side of a blind exit on the esses which made me hesitate and Napalm slipped by. Survived Bathurst without binning it which is the most I hoped for!

@Saltyjoe90 Not sure if I can send you a replay through PSN but I'm certain the replay is a file that can be stored and sent through conventional means (email / wetransfer... ). I'll look into it and report back

Thanks @John Wells , great selection of pics! 👍

LOL, workshops must be busy today in Australia! :lol:

@Saltyjoe90 and any other interested, check if this works. It's a wetransfer download

https://we.tl/t-MFMj8lB7AK

The downloaded folder and its content files cannot be viewed on a PC so you must save it all to a flash pen, get that pen on the PS4 and then go to:
Settings-->Application Saved Data Management-->Saved Data on USB Storage Device-->Copy to System Storage-->Project Cars 2 and then select the file and finally COPY. Then you have to start the game and look for a new replay in the video section.

Let me know if this works. The link to download will be available for 1 week.

Yes nice pictures John. You've captured the lighting very well. The cars look great too. :)

The procedure that Mario mentions works for transferring files, I've used it before. And a little known tip is that I think you can exceed the normal PS4 1Gb storage limit if you copy files over from a flash drive. I haven't tested this though.

LOL, workshops must be busy today in Australia!
And the scrap man is having a great time collecting all that discarded junk.

Back