The Caterham Cup - FinishedPS4 

• Thread starter IfAndOr
  • 521 comments
What are all your plans regarding the PS5?
1. Got one already?
2. thinking of swapping to one soon?
3. Holding off for as long as possible, or at least another year?
4. Binning PS for another system?
Personally im in no rush, I imagine maybe next year sometime for a PS5, but depends on what comes out, cant see a reason to for me right now.
1. No
2. Yes - stock dependent
3. No, but I'm not desperate to swap either. Will probably take the leap before the end of the year.
4. No, I'm too old for THAT big a change.

1. Got one already?
  1. No. I think there's only one of our group who's got a PS5. You'll see their icon change to the upright console.
  2. Yes to thinking. No to soon.
  3. Yes. Eventually they'll become more easily available and thus cheaper. There's usually a version 2 with tweaks or even a Pro that would be worth waiting for.
  4. I've already got an Xbox 1 that sits in the lounge. It doesn't get much use, every time I turn it on it wants to update - which takes ages! A PC? It has crossed my mind but I do like the console convenience now.
Some of those answers might change if my PS4 Pro was to break down which would force my hand. But, the same with a wheel upgrade, it all comes down to money...

I'd like a PS5 mainly because of its extra power. For smoothness in racing games you can never have enough processing oomph. The speedy loading from the SSD is also appealing.

Results from Oulton Park

Race 1 and 2

Oulton Park Race 1 and 2 MON.jpg

Race 3 and 4

Oulton Park Race 3 and 4 MON.jpg

Really enjoyed the racing, tricky track to have no contact at all on (sorry for my additions to that). I even whacked a stationary car cos the 300 didnt turn as much as I thought it was going to DOH!!!.
Oh, and i went to a save the replays (got a couple) and it said i was full. 1Gb allowance or something. I guess you just gotta delete some older replays? I dont have that much recorded anyway.

Rich, seams front of my car was on your right already when you turned to right (1:24.24). I didn't wait you, because was almost sure I kept my line. Sorry anyway.

How to get spotter talk to me "still there", "one lenght behind" and others? I have only some messages on the bottom, like "10 minutes left", but voice is so quiet I almost don't hear anything. And all audio in game settings menu is set to 100. How to solve that?

Rich, seams front of my car was on your right already when you turned to right (1:24.24). I didn't wait you, because was almost sure I kept my line. Sorry anyway.

How to get spotter talk to me "still there", "one lenght behind" and others? I have only some messages on the bottom, like "10 minutes left", but voice is so quiet I almost don't hear anything. And all audio in game settings menu is set to 100. How to solve that?
You can consider the mobile app "Crew Chief " which might help?

Personally I don't use it because it's too chatty and my concentration is poor enough as is. But perhaps it provides what you're searching for.

In the options you need to set the spotter to always (not authentic) to get him to warn you of nearby cars. And in audio make sure the voice volume is set high. You might need to lower some of the other effects to help the spotter cut through. AND make sure the voice audio isn't being directed to the little speaker in your controller - which it defaults to!

I tend to have the spotter on but the pit audio off. Too much talking is distracting.

I guess you just gotta delete some older replays? I don't have that much recorded anyway
The problem with Pcars saves (all versions) is that they are so big and soon fill up the allocated space allowed by Sony. GT's files are tiny in comparison plus they, I think, are stored in "the cloud" not on your drive. So yes they do need a constant clearing out. If there's any you particularly want to keep copy them to a memory stick.

It'll become a problem if I hold longer races since the maximum file size equates around 45 minutes of game time so therefore I won't be able to review any incidents, you'll have to police yourselves. Actually wait, that's better, less for me to worry about. :P

spotter is in Options/Gameplay/Onscreen guides and displays. You can choose between Off, Authentic, and Full.
Soz, already answered i see.
I set spotter to ALWAYS, but don't hear anything. I used Authentic earlier and could hear voice, but chat volume was to quiet for me and I remember year or more ago Rich suggested to change something in setting to have chat volume louder. When we ended Friday beer races I didn't need loud chat volume and changed something by myself :) - now I have a bit to low chat volume and don't hear spotter at all.

Quick review and my own POV video

As I said yesterday one can't afford the luxury of not practising when entering a competition within this group. So yesterday I came in very cold. Practised both cars for about 5 minutes each before @IfAndOr sent the event invite and I knew I had decent one-lap speed (59 seconds with the Seven, and around 1.18 with the 300) but even in the few laps I managed I kept making mistakes so I wasn't feeling at ease with the upcoming races.

Anyway ...

A) The "SEVEN" races

Quali - I didn't get a clean quali lap. be it because of mistakes or traffic the best I got was over the 1 minute mark. In any case I guess we all had similar problems because pole went to @AndreasR with a 59,9xx and we all know he can do better (in fact, 5 drivers, him included, had personal FLs during the race that were better than the pole time).

Race 1- In this race I had all sorts of problems. Firstly I had a connection/lag issue that made cars around me very jumpy (and mine around them as I was told later). Secondly, I made mistake after mistake. Including an ill-judged incident with @Oldbass47 under braking for last corner. Terrible race, probably my worst since the beginning of this cup.

Race 2 - The Gods of Random Grid Making decided I needed punishment for all my racing sins so I was placed at the back of the grid (13th): I can't really say what happened with this race, I have a muddled recollection of many mistakes again. I think I got as far as 5th at some point but another last lap mistake demoted me to 7th, and that was it.

B) The "300" races

Quali - Another fine mess. After the outlap my first flying lap was bad (1'21) and then on my second and last flying lap I met ... unexpected circumstances :crazy: (you can check that if you want, it's right after 0:49:50 into the video below) and aborted that try. So I qualified with that 1'21, almost 4 full seconds slower than pole. "This is turning into my racing horribilus day" was all I was thinking then.

Race 3 - Careful start, followed the front pack and on lap one, at the hairpin, there was some mess up front that had @richroo and @Saltyjoe90 as the main casualties. So I got from 7th to 5th there. Immediatly after I tried to take 4th from @Pantheons and we traded paint in a short scrap but he got the better of me. From that moment on I settled with 5th place, following Simon and hoping for a mistake up front (and no more mistakes from me) to gain any other spot. Closing to the end of the race nothing had changed (@Napalm_LT and @AndreasR up front, @xeronima 3rd in no man's land, @Pantheons 4th with me following him close in 5th). Then ... (0:59:25 into the video) @AndreasR crashed or spun and blocked the track. @xeronima somehow squeezed through but @Pantheons was not as lucky and crashed into him, opening up the track for me in the process. So I inherited 3rd and that's where I ended.

Race 4 - This time the Gods of Random Grid Making, probably due to some offerings and prayers, bestowed me pole position. I got away cleanly but for almost the entire race I had @Saltyjoe90 up close and keeping me worried. It was probably for the best because although I had no traffic ahead for the first time in the entire evening, I had to keep focused and be precise as possible or else ... Luckily all ended well so I won the race, and did FL as a bonus. It was good to end the night with a good result, after the disastrous first couple of races.

Cheers! See you all at Brands Hatch for the grand finale! :cheers:

Last edited:
1. Got one already?
Personally im in no rush, I imagine maybe next year sometime for a PS5, but depends on what comes out, cant see a reason to for me right now.

Interesting questions, my turn to reply.

1. No
2. No
3. No, holding off for PS5-only titles that might make a purchase justifiable
4. The PC world is always an option, if Sony continues down the path of making me feel increasingly deprived of ownership of my own games and gaming activity.

1854px-Brands_Hatch_2003.svg.png

What's everyone's thoughts on Brands Hatch? To paraphrase Simon from yesterday, "it'd be alright if it wasn't for the bloody corners!"

Interesting bit of trivia, there's a 'druids' corner on this circuit and also oulton park, anyone know if that's anything more than coincidence?

It's great fun in the 300, good mix of high downforce and low downforce corners. Stirlings is my favourite, the camber sweeps you round nicely. I've been struggling with exit of druids, but I've watched some track guides and apparently you should take a double apex, so I'll try that next time and see if it helps! The blind Sheene curve is a good challenge, don't think there's any secret to that one other than practice until you can do it blindfolded, which you may as well be anyway!

1854px-Brands_Hatch_2003.svg.png

What's everyone's thoughts on Brands Hatch? To paraphrase Simon from yesterday, "it'd be alright if it wasn't for the bloody corners!"

Interesting bit of trivia, there's a 'druids' corner on this circuit and also oulton park, anyone know if that's anything more than coincidence?

It's great fun in the 300, good mix of high downforce and low downforce corners. Stirlings is my favourite, the camber sweeps you round nicely. I've been struggling with exit of druids, but I've watched some track guides and apparently you should take a double apex, so I'll try that next time and see if it helps! The blind Sheene curve is a good challenge, don't think there's any secret to that one other than practice until you can do it blindfolded, which you may as well be anyway!

I can only agree with Simon on this one. I always struggle at Brands. Basically I've got a great crash history on all corners. Even the last kink on the run to the finish line

but I've watched some track guides
I had no idea of the names until you posted the track layout, thanks. I haven't raced much, but of any corner on any track, Paddock Hill Bend was always my nemesis, blind drop, reduced grip, with varying radius.
Brabham Straight (camber) is tricky if you are trying to eat a sandwich too.
Never seen a track guide, is there a good place to find them ( i know, "google is your friend").
The PC world is always an option
PC... ive been there before, its just a pain keeping up with the specs, you are always out of date and wanting just that bit more. I like the convenience and level playing field (and the cost) of a console.

Last edited:
PS5 well that will have to wait , unless one falls off the back of a lorry ! maybe at some point..

pc . i would like to try it , don't think i'm dedicated enough to cover the cost but will look at possibility of integration of the next home pc .. only laptop at mo .

Back