The Chosen: Volkswagen GTi. Now with pics. :D

WeinerSchnitzel

(Banned)
Messages
1,179
Messages
GTP_W-Schnitzel
Me and my dad set on a quest to find a good, fun used car for him around two weeks ago.. We narrowed it all the way down to either a '07 VW GTi(DSG transmission(paddle shifters)) in the color United Gray or a '07 Mazda MX-5(6-speed Sport AT(paddle shifters)) in the color True Red. Here's a list of what I believe are the good qualities of each car. And I know you guys know quite some about these cars, so please help us out. :D

1755ee4a0a0a006400e3cbb93e199f5f.jpg

v.
iPA4521A_1.jpg

(not the actual one for sale)

MX-5
http://www.classicmazda.com/certifi...-5+Miata-ee4833630a0a0064003bf5e87c142a47.htm
  • The awesome handling
  • Color and accents
  • It's fun
  • Convertible
  • Reliability
  • Warranty

VW GTi
http://www.mikeauto.net/detail-2007-volkswagen-gti-4dr_hb_dsg-used-5856190.html
  • Speed
  • 4-door
  • Minimal roid noise
  • Awesome DSG tranny
  • It's a VW :sly:

EDIT: Can a mod add a poll?
 
Miata, unless he isn't afraid to pay big bucks in case something goes wrong.
 
With that many miles, make sure the GTI comes with an extended warranty.
 
With that many miles, make sure the GTI comes with an extended warranty.

That's exactly what he is trying to convince the dealership to give him. He says that if they do give him the extended warranty, he will probably go with the VW. But then he also likes the MX5 a lot, too. Two different, but both good, cars. :indiff:
 
I drove a Miata for 5 years. I've driven a turbo Jetta for 5 years and have driven a Euro-spec GTi IV for awhile.

A lot depends on your size. If you are much over 5'9", then you will have visibility (i.e., safety) issues with the Miata.

Both are great cars. THE crucial question to ask yourself is if you want to go FF or FR?? The philosophical and driving differences are huge, and lead to developing different and mutual unhelpful driving skills. Where do you ultimately want to go with the automobile? Racing? Go FR. Family car? Go FF.

Respectfully,
Dotini
 
That's exactly what he is trying to convince the dealership to give him. He says that if they do give him the extended warranty, he will probably go with the VW. But then he also likes the MX5 a lot, too. Two different, but both good, cars. :indiff:


You've still got to be incredibly careful with dealer extended warranties. Make sure it covers what you want it to cover and make sure you've got the paper work for when (yeah not "if", but when because they wil try it) they say the warranty doesn't cover something.
 
I drove a Miata for 5 years. I've driven a turbo Jetta for 5 years and have driven a Euro-spec GTi IV for awhile.

A lot depends on your size. If you are much over 5'9", then you will have visibility (i.e., safety) issues with the Miata.

Both are great cars. THE crucial question to ask yourself is if you want to go FF or FR?? The philosophical and driving differences are huge, and lead to developing different and mutual unhelpful driving skills. Where do you ultimately want to go with the automobile? Racing? Go FR. Family car? Go FF.

Respectfully,
Dotini

Choosing between an FF and FR car is a thing I've talked to my dad about. I've told him that "true" sports cars are always rear-wheel drive. The Miata has great weight distribution, too.. It's just a great sports car all in all.
I'd say the GTI just because everyone says the NC Miata sucks, plus its an automatic.

They have a manual in stock for slightly more.

http://www.classicmazda.com/certifi...-5+Miata-d461c4650a0a000201004b7886e0bfdf.htm

Tell me about it. I've talked to my dad about buying a manual car but he just doesn't want to. Lots of traffic in this area and he' just not up for it. I convinced him earlier to test drive that Miata and see how it feels.. Maybe he'll change his mind.

EDIT: The dealership just gave him the extended warranty on the GTI. :)👍
 
Last edited:
GTI because the Miata is an automatic NC.

The only reason to look at an automatic Miata is because you don't know how/refuse to learn manual... Mazda automatics like to suck, and having one in a Miata kinda ruins everything. GTI on the other hand likely benefits from the DSG more than anything.

Add in the fact that the GTI is massively more practical, has plaid seats, etc... Perfect.
 
And the chosen car is..

the VW GTi, now that he got the extended warranty he was going after.

We will be picking it up tomorrow at around 3 or 4 pm. I'll post pics and let you know how the car feels.

Cheers, everyone. :)👍
 
Congrats! Welcome to the club. I think you're now the 4th or 5th member (or ex) with one of these things. I'm sure you'll love it.

My suggestion: Get some Continental DW tires for it. I run them and the car feels awesome with them. The stock all-seasons that these come with aren't that good.
 
I'd personally have picked neither. I'd take a Miata with a manual, and by that point I'd have forgotten the GTI even existed. I'm not keen on owning one of the least reliable cars ever designed.
 
I'd personally have picked neither. I'd take a Miata with a manual, and by that point I'd have forgotten the GTI even existed. I'm not keen on owning one of the least reliable cars ever designed.

My XJ6 takes offense to that.
 
:lol:
 
I'd personally have picked neither. I'd take a Miata with a manual, and by that point I'd have forgotten the GTI even existed. I'm not keen on owning one of the least reliable cars ever designed.

My old Alfa 156 takes exception to that too.

2 engines, an ECU, multiple gearbox rebuilds/software upgrades and 4 years of the worst service ever imaginable from the dealer. I'd be surprised if anyone had a new car that was less reliable than my 156 Selespeed.

I'm always surprised by Americans negative attitude with regard to relaibility of VW group products. In Europe, VW are the #1 ranked manufacturer in sales (ahead of Ford) and generally have a solid reputation for reliability... not the best, but by no means the worst.
 
Generally everyone I know with a GTI has issues of some sort with it. I don't think we've just made this up.

It probably has a lot to do with VWs being built in Mexico for the US. Though I don't know if we get some from Germany too.
 
I think Golf's and GTI's are still made in Germany, while Jetta's and Beetles are made in Mexico.
 
Generally everyone I know with a GTI has issues of some sort with it. I don't think we've just made this up.

It probably has a lot to do with VWs being built in Mexico for the US. Though I don't know if we get some from Germany too.

Funny thing you mention this, because on the engine bay of our car it says "Germany." :) And on the papers it notes that it is indeed made in Germany. So hopefully ours lasts long before we hear a noise here or there. :D

Here are some pics.. Sorry for the bad quality; cellphone pics :indiff:

IMAG0025.jpg


IMAG0030-1.jpg


IMAG0026.jpg

This GTi sits on Yokohama Avids with 18 inch wheels.

IMAG0029.jpg


IMAG0034.jpg


We haven't driven it much; we'd been cleaning the interior and removing two ugly decals it had on the hood(pic below).. But we can tell it is definitely an amazing car! 👍 The car has minimum body roll and the DSG transmission is lighting fast. Accelerate really quickly and the noise it produces is awesome as well. Again, sorry for the crappy pics; hopefully tomorrow I have time to take better ones. :sly:

Ugly decals on the hood:
IMAG0024.jpg
 
Does it have chequered seat cloth? If it doesn't then I hate it. :lol:

Nah but honestly it should be a fairly awesome car!
 
Score!

Too bad about the Miata, but it was an automatic. If you're getting an autobox, you might as well get a good one, and the DSG is a good one. Not to mention the fact that the GTi is a fair bit gruntier than the Miata... which is kind of weedy down low... a problem compounded by the auto-box.

The NC doesn't suck per se. It's a far bit better to drive than most sportscars on the market. It's just not as good as the older Miatas. The facelifted NC is edgier and better to drive, but looks like that one's the pre-facelift one. Softer suspension, worse steering... and (again) an autobox.

RE: RWD versus FWD... always the big question. The Miata has a great balance, and is more fun in the twisties, but you can push much harder down a challenging road in a FWD car without the constant fear of a spin. Though a Miata is one of the easiest things to gather once it starts sliding sideways, that generation's soft behind and rather vague electric steering meant that catching the slide was never quite as neat as with the old car.
 
Does it have chequered seat cloth? If it doesn't then I hate it. :lol:

Nah but honestly it should be a fairly hella awesome car!

Fixed. Make sure to check the oil level every time you fill up, if you don't already. Mine drinks oil like nobody's business.
 
Yesterday we checked the oil and everything was good. 👍

My dad is thinking of getting a vanity plate, and since we're in Florida, plates are 6 letters or digits long. I was thinking of PKT RKT or VEE DUB. Suggestions? :D
 
Fixed. Make sure to check the oil level every time you fill up, if you don't already. Mine drinks oil like nobody's business.
My Rabbit does a little, I didn't think the GTI would have the same issue since none of the other common problems have plagued me.
 
Rab bit?
 
US name for 2006-2009(8?) Golf. Then they went back to Golf.

View my profile pic to see. I have one and it is tagged Rabbit.
 
US name for 2006-2009(8?) Golf. Then they went back to Golf.

View my profile pic to see. I have one and it is tagged Rabbit.

I think he was referring to a possible vanity plate, there.


VEE DUB will be taken. I assure you that. I was surprised that I was able to get SI CIVIC for mine.
 
Back