The complete guide on winning GTWC

• Thread starter MacBaby
  • 15 comments
Denmark
Denmark
MacBabyDK
If a similar guide already exist, then you can delete this one of course, but I feel the need of this guide, judging on the amount of threads about GTWC.

First of all, this is not a professional race guide, nor an A-Spec-points-hunters race. This is simply a guide made for you guys, who just want to complete the Gran Turismo World Championship, to unlock the Extreme Hall, to win the Ford GT LM Edition, or just to cash a neat sum of 500,000 Cr total in race winnings. This championship will take about a couple of hours to complete, including oil changes and saving, considering that you play in real-time (no status-screen fast forwarding). If you follow this guide thoroughly, I can guarantee 99% that you will win the championship, considering that you’re using B-Spec, and if you’re skilled enough, then A-Spec will also do it.

Good luck!

Use the MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car (win it by completing the El Capitan 200 miles endurance race.) Buy the Stage 4 turbo kit, and the rigidity upgrade (rollcage) for 30,000 Cr. The car is now fully tuned, and will have around 1,220 HP/BHP/PS. Buy a set of Racing Hard (R2) and Racing Super Hard (R1) tyres. The Racing Medium (R3) tyres come with the car. Remember, if you have used the car before this championship, make sure that the cars rigidity is still fine (if the rigidity refreshing plan is availible to buy, then buy it again.) Also, make sure to change oil, to get the last horsepowers.

I used the following setup when I did the championship, although it might not be to everybodys liking, this was the setup that I desired:

Spring Rate: 14.8 / 15.8
Ride Height: 85 / 85
Bound: 8 / 8
Rebound: 8 / 8
Camber: 2.0 / 1.0
Toe: 0 / 0
Stabilizers: 6 / 6
Brake Controller: 5 / 2
Downforce: 63 / 88

If you are using A-Spec, it would be a good idea to turn TCS (antispin) to 1 or 2.

NOTE: If you try to enter the GTWC, and it says that you need to complete all races in the Beginner and Professional Hall to enter this championship, then double-check that you actually have complete those. You got to have gold medals in all single races (bronze medals might look alike) and have completed all championships, not just the single races seperately in the champtionships.

Make sure to enter as a championship, DO NOT ENTER each single race, otherwise you will NOT complete the championship, and you will have to do it all over again.

Now, when you enter the championship, try to find a weaker opposition. It means, that cars like the MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V (the same as your car), Peugeot 905, Sauber Merecedes, Nissan R89C/R92CP etc. shouldn’t be on the list. Cars like the Chevrolet Camaro, Jaguar XJR-9, Toyota 7 and Toyota GT-ONE are weaker cars, which will make this championship easier. You need to enter and exit the championship, until you find the desired lineup.

Now use the tyres and settings I describe, and use the recommended pace for each race, if you’re using B-Spec. The tyre combinations are made out of numerous attempts to this championship, to maximize durability and performance at the same time.

1. Tokyo (10 laps):
Use R2 rear and R3 front. Use pace 5. Autoset the transmission to 15, with a little taller 6 th. gear, about 0.200 higher than 5 th. gear, for the long straight. You will need to pit once.

2. Twin Ring Montegi (21 laps): Use R1 rear and R2 front. Use pace 3 as maximum, to avoid accidents against the walls. Make the transmission taller, I recommend Autoset 20, and a 6 th. gear that is a bit taller, about 0.200 higher than 5 th. gear, for the long straights. You won’t need to pit at all.

(Change oil to maintain engine power, and save your game.)

3. Hong Kong (18 laps): Use R2 rear and R3 front. Use pace 3 to be sure to avoid driving mistakes. Make the transmission a bit lower, I recommend Autoset 15. You will need to pit once.

4. Seoul Central Reverse (19 laps): Keep the same settings as the previous race (Hong Kong) You can use pace 5 in this one, Bob won’t make any driving mistakes, but you might want to switch back to pace 4, if your backtyres become yellowish, to avoid back end wipeouts. You will need to pit once.

5. El Capitan (11 laps): Use R2 rear and R3 front. You can use pace 4 all the way, you will pull away right from the start, and stay in front. Make the transmission a bit taller, I recommend Autoset 18. You will need to pit once.

6. New York (15 laps): Use R2 rear and R3 front. Use pace 4. Make the transmission a bit lower, I recommend Autoset 15. You will need to pit once.

7. Opera Paris Reverse (18 laps):
Keep the same settings as the previous race (New York). This can be a tough one, but Bob can handle to push hard on pace 5, until you’re up front. You will need to pit once.

8. Suzuka Circuit (9 laps):
Use R2 rear and R3 front. Use pace 4 as maxiumum to avoid trips to the sandbox, maybe even pace 3 with cold tyres. Make the transmission taller, I recommend Autoset 20. You will need to pit once.

9. Grand Valley Speedway Reverse (11 laps):
Keep the same settings as the previous race (Suzuka). Use pace 4. You will need to pit once.

10. Circuit de la Sarthe L (4 laps): Use R1 rear and R2 front. Make the 6 th. gear a little taller, I recommend about 0,200 higher than the 5 th. gear, for the long straight. Pace 4 is appropriate for this race, once your tyres are warm. You won't need to pit at all.

Congratulations! Save your game before doing anything else!

Last edited:
While this does lay out exactly how a beginner should complete this series if his or her only goal is winning, it will be useless for the simple reason that beginners almost never take the time to read the FAQs or to search for "Gran Turismo World Championship" - that's precisely why there are so many "how do i beat grand tourismo world champs" threads.

While this does lay out exactly how a beginner should complete this series if his or her only goal is winning, it will be useless for the simple reason that beginners almost never take the time to read the FAQs or to search for "Gran Turismo World Championship" - that's precisely why there are so many "how do i beat grand tourismo world champs" threads.

'Nuff Said.' I think this thread deserves the lock.

Use the MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car (win it by completing the El Capitan 200 miles endurance race.) Buy the Stage 4 turbo kit

Now, when you enter the championship, try to find a weaker opposition. It means, that cars like the MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V (the same as your car), Peugeot 905, Sauber Merecedes, Nissan R89C/R92CP etc. shouldn’t be on the list. Cars like the Chevrolet Camaro, Jaguar XJR-9, Toyota 7 and Toyota GT-ONE are weaker cars, which will make this championship easier. You need to enter and exit the championship, until you find the desired lineup.

In other words, cream-puff the series so you wind up the victor every time? Fail.

Everything else I agree with though, but as Austin343 says, this is really a guide for a beginner-type who might be getting frustrated with a lack of progress. The tuning/lap/pitstop requirements are awesome. Nice job.

I'm currently doing the World Championship using the Motul Pitwork Z car, finally on the final race at Sarthe up aganist the BMW, Jaguar XJ-9, and one of the Peskies. :scared: I can certainly say it takes much more than 'a couple hours'. It's taken me all week to carefully get thru each event...tuning carefully, learning each track and stuff.

I'll probably lose because these cars can take many of Sarthe's turns much faster than a Pitwork Z can, but it's okay because I've got the most points. :D

good post mate

i just want to ask you, i am going to do this race on b-spec mode, what would the TCS settings be?

TCS settings don't matter in B-spec mode.

Last edited:
Are you going through it with a stock Motul Z or did you upgrade the power? If in stock form, I'm amazed by that 👍

Also, I've been playing GT4 for 5 years now, but I never actually knew you could change oil while in a championship? I thought you could only save your game.

Are you going through it with a stock Motul Z or did you upgrade the power? If in stock form, I'm amazed by that 👍

Also, I've been playing GT4 for 5 years now, but I never actually knew you could change oil while in a championship? I thought you could only save your game.

Absolutely not stock! NOt against those big boys, anyways. It might be possible if I was up against lesser cars. I used Stage 3 turbo most of the time (757 horsepower). I tried using a Stage 4 at Stupor Speedway, but still got creamed. No matter, I didn't really care. I'll be using Stage 4 at Sarthe (973 horses). I predict I'll still get trounced here, which (again) is okay 'cause I got the most points. :D

At Paris/Opera and Hong Kong, I found it possible to use stock power + oil change (509 hp), but I made some mistakes at Hong Kong and wound up taking 3rd place.

Yes, you can change oil between races. You can also get a car wash, look up game stats & diary.

I predict I'll still get trounced here, which (again) is okay 'cause I got the most points. :D

I predict otherwise. I seem to remember me doing the 24h endurance race on La Sarthe I with a Woodone Supra (fully upgraded). They are faster in the corners, but not by a big enough gap, and the lead you will gain on the straights with that power, seeing the AI never really gets over 330km/h, you should be fine 👍

*EDIT* And don't forget the AI tends to make mistakes at that track in this championship because of their worn out tyres.

I predict otherwise. I seem to remember me doing the 24h endurance race on La Sarthe I with a Woodone Supra (fully upgraded). They are faster in the corners, but not by a big enough gap, and the lead you will gain on the straights with that power, seeing the AI never really gets over 330km/h, you should be fine 👍

*EDIT* And don't forget the AI tends to make mistakes at that track in this championship because of their worn out tyres.

True, they make mistakes, but Sarthe is only 4 laps long, and it's not quite as much of a tire-killer as other races like Suzuka, Route 246, etc.

Anyways, we'll see if Stage 4 is overkill! :) I qualified on Pole, but I highly doubt I'll be able to stay up there! Stay tuned....

UPDATE: yea, you were right. Stage 4 is overkill. Restarting with a Stage 3 system and R3 tires. The Jag doesn't take a pit here, so it should be pretty tough.

UPDATE 2: And Stage 3 was underkill. The Jaguar XJR-9 was simply untouchable. I was fighting the Pesky and then the BMW V12 the entire time, though. BMW would get ahead down the Mulsanne and Porsche curves, but I'd manage to get by in the final chicanes and a few other areas. 👍 The Pesky eventually fell behind...couldn't catch a draft from either me or the BMW.

2nd place. Not bad. 👍

Last edited:
I apologize for bumping such old thread, but I wanted to find ideal place to reveal what I have found regarding GTWC in GT4. This thread is reasonably fresh, not locked and with appropriate title, so I decided to use it for my post. Players who still want to experience some fun in this hard event could hopefully find this post useful. It works for PAL versions, not sure about NTSC.

The idea was to find ideal AI grid that doesn't feature top Le Mans machines. If you observe 52 AI lineups, you may notice how you need to reset 10 times before getting lineup 10 or 11, which feature slightly underpowered machines. However, for some reason you can take shortcut:

1.) Once you power up your game, visit your Garage immediately upon arriving to GT world map;
2.) Select Pontiac Sunfire GXP Concept '02 as your drivable car and make sure it is completely stock;
3.) Select World Circuits -> Infineon Stock Car Course (short version) -> Race Meeting mode;
4.) Click Start and exit the race and the entire event as soon as your car emerges from the pit;
5.) Head to your Garage and select the car you wish to use for GTWC -> Enter GTWC.

Voila! What you get are cars from lineup 11, without need to torture your PS2 with in-out methods:

Gillet Vertigo Race Car '04
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TS020) '98
Toyota 7 Race Car '70
Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car '01
AMG Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR Race Car '98

The CLK-GTR will compete against the Vertigo, while the GT-One will challenge the 7 Race Car. However, these two pairs will often compete one against each other, so expect some serious jam on the track! The Camaro LM is the slowest in the pack and not real menace to anyone.

I tried competing with stock RX-8 LM, but I could barely keep up with the CLK-GTR or Vertigo. I presume any 600 HP LM car or tuned JGTC/DTM car will give you an excellent challenge. I'm going to try with the stock BMW Mclaren F1 GTR and see how it goes.

To sum up, the idea of this post was to give you quick access to lineup that doesn't feature top LM machines, hoping that you could complete this event with car of lower rank while still experiencing tough battle.

Edit: Just started GTWC with the F1 GTR as announced before, I'm about to enter third race. Whoa, it is really fun, challenging and unpredictable! I'll write the full report once I'm done.

Last edited:
The idea was to find ideal AI grid that doesn't feature top Le Mans machines. If you observe 52 AI lineups, you may notice how you need to reset 10 times before getting lineup 10 or 11, which feature slightly underpowered machines. However, for some reason you can take shortcut:

1.) Once you power up your game, visit your Garage immediately upon arriving to GT world map;
2.) Select Pontiac Sunfire GXP Concept '02 as your drivable car and make sure it is completely stock;
3.) Select World Circuits -> Infineon Stock Car Course (short version) -> Race Meeting mode;
4.) Click Start and exit the race and the entire event as soon as your car emerges from the pit;
5.) Head to your Garage and select the car you wish to use for GTWC -> Enter GTWC.

Voila! What you get are cars from lineup 11, without need to torture your PS2 with in-out methods:

Toyota 7 Race Car '70
Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car '01

Nice find!👍 @Matej

Does the Pontiac Sunfire have to be any particular color?

What do you think @Dotini ? Quite a wonderful path to the desired grid!:D

Respectfully,
GTsail

Nice find!👍 @Matej

Does the Pontiac Sunfire have to be any particular color?

What do you think @Dotini ? Quite a wonderful path to the desired grid!:D

Respectfully,
GTsail
Brings back memories of my Gran Turismo "youth"! :D

My only question would be, what was the color of the Sunfire? (My own researches in GT4 grids sometimes keyed on using red or non-red cars.)

Edit: My PS2/GT4 game is still hooked up and playable. However, I admit to being spoiled by the graphics and physics of newer versions. Even so, GT4 still has the greatest selection of enduro events. I miss those a lot. :grumpy:

@GTsail290 , @Dotini The Sunfire comes only in Shadow Black, which was also the color of my example.

The only possible explanation for this is that GTWC skips 10 lineups every time you change your day elsewhere. I'm pretty certain you could get the grid above by using any other car on any other track, but I can't verify this at the moment, I have already entered the joy of the new lineup. :)

@shotamagee may also be interested in the find above. 👍

Use the MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car (win it by completing the El Capitan 200 miles endurance race.) Buy the Stage 4 turbo kit, and the rigidity upgrade (rollcage) for 30,000 Cr. The car is now fully tuned, and will have around 1,220 HP/BHP/PS. Buy a set of Racing Hard (R2) and Racing Super Hard (R1) tyres. The Racing Medium (R3) tyres come with the car. Remember, if you have used the car before this championship, make sure that the cars rigidity is still fine (if the rigidity refreshing plan is availible to buy, then buy it again.) Also, make sure to change oil, to get the last horsepowers.
Please, if anyone is planning on using a strategy, DO NOT use the Minolta with a Stage 4 upgrade. It will absolutely demolish the competition, and you will eat through tires faster than a fat guy eats cake. Remember, strategy is just as important as speed. Any other Group C car (besides the 787B and 905) applies to this rule as well.

The cars I would recommend are cars that use their tires and fuel wisely (R390 GT1, both Pescarolos, Audi R8, etc.) Upgrade your car to Stage 1 of you absolutely need it. My tire choice is R1 or R2. If you want to use B-Spec, I would recommend the shortcut @Matej listed.

You should avoid the following cars as competition:
  • Audi R8 Race Car '01
  • Jaguar XJR-9 Race Car '88
  • Mazda 787B Race Car '91
  • Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89
  • Nissan R89C Race Car '89
  • Nissan R92CP Race Car '92
  • Both Pescarolos
  • Toyota MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car '89

Please, if anyone is planning on using a strategy, DO NOT use the Minolta with a Stage 4 upgrade. It will absolutely demolish the competition, and you will eat through tires faster than a fat guy eats cake. Remember, strategy is just as important as speed. Any other Group C car (besides the 787B and 905) applies to this rule as well.

The cars I would recommend are cars that use their tires and fuel wisely (R390 GT1, both Pescarolos, Audi R8, etc.) Upgrade your car to Stage 1 of you absolutely need it. My tire choice is R1 or R2. If you want to use B-Spec, I would recommend the shortcut @Matej listed.

You should avoid the following cars as competition:
  • Audi R8 Race Car '01
  • Jaguar XJR-9 Race Car '88
  • Mazda 787B Race Car '91
  • Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89
  • Nissan R89C Race Car '89
  • Nissan R92CP Race Car '92
  • Both Pescarolos
  • Toyota MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car '89

You can win the GTWC with a Mazda 787B, even against the cars listed.

The only time to slap a turbo on the Toyota 88C-V is when you're going for 300mph at the Test Track. Otherwise it just shreds tires.

Regarding the previous discussion, it seems my theory that GTWC skips 10 lineups every time you change your days elsewhere does not work. I changed two days outside GTWC and offered with:

Chaparral 2D Race Car '67
Jaguar XJR-9 Race Car '88

The 52 AI lineup list doesn't feature this list, so I'm not sure how the system works, I should have received lineup 21. Nevertheless, if you want something else apart from Group C cars, use the shortcut I discovered above.

And I have finished my GTWC travel against the lineup 11 with the F1 GTR. If you're interested in the result, visit full report and interview. :)

Back