The cost of collecting paint in GT7

United States
Indiana
pie4july
By my count, there are over 1900 paint chips in GT7. If you want to own them all, you'll need nearly 7 million CR to do it*

TypeNumber of Paint ChipsCost Per ChipTotal Per Type
Real Car Paint1367$ 4,000$ 5,468,000
Flakes78$ 3,000$ 234,000
Dark Flakes46$ 3,000$ 138,000
Matte Metallic39$ 2,000$ 78,000
Aluminum Metallic39$ 2,000$ 78,000
Liquid Metallic39$ 2,000$ 78,000
Matte46$ 1,000$ 46,000
Half Matte46$ 1,000$ 46,000
Satin46$ 2,000$ 92,000
Fluorescent36$ 3,000$ 108,000
Matte Fluorescent36$ 1,000$ 36,000
Candy Metallic36$ 3,000$ 108,000
Dark Candy Metallic23$ 3,000$ 69,000
Chrome39$ 5,000$ 195,000
Color Shift45$ 3,000$ 135,000
Carbon5$ 5,000$ 25,000
TOTAL OF ALL PAINT CHIPS1966---$ 6,934,000

*This post is not an endorsement, complaint or demand on the prices of paint chips for GT7. I was simply curious what the cost would be. I only counted the number of chips once, so my numbers might be slightly off.

Last edited:
Thank you for doing this! Certainly gives a good idea on how much it could end up getting all the real paints. Kind of wish these paints were rewards for leveling up the Collector levels. Either I'm not noticing much, but I'm not seeing any sort of rewards after a certain point.

At first, I thought we got to keep the paint chip when we purchased a car like in previous GT's. So when I was buying cars I would go through all the colors until I found one I like to use later. Imagine my surprise when I wanted to use an Aston color in the livery editor. :confused::banghead:

Wow, that's a lot of scratch! Luckily, I only buy paints when I'm looking to exactly model a specific color like Competition Orange for my BOSS Mustang.

Another nice monetary change for 7 is that you don't have to collect mileage points to open up the selection of wheels, they're all just there, and once bought, not only can you use them multiple times, but you can always change up offset, width and diameter. It's nice to not have to grind for wheels.

Interesting info but realistically I'm not sure how many would actually collect all the different paint types especially when there are nearly indistinguishable differences between a lot of them. I also can't see most would choose to waste credits on colors they have no interest in using.

I'm glad they are all available up front in GT7 and that there are so many. I didn't like how they were rotated weekly in GTS because it could take a while to get the colors you actually want. ....same with the wheels.

Interesting info but realistically I'm not sure how many would actually collect all the different paint types especially when there are nearly indistinguishable differences between a lot of them. I also can't see most would choose to waste credits on colors they have no interest in using.

I'm glad they are all available up front in GT7 and that there are so many. I didn't like how they were rotated weekly in GTS because it could take a while to get the colors you actually want. ....same with the wheels.
I was planning on buying them all just to have a full range of choices in the livery creator. I’m now reconsidering it just from the shear amount of credits it will take lol

Last edited:
I was planning on buying them all just to have a full range of choices in the livery creator. I’m now reconsidering it just from the shear amount of credits it will take lol
Yeah, I had the same intention but then after seeing how many were so similar and simply the sheer number of them that I realized i wouldn't likely use, I just decided to buy the shades and particular ones I thought I might use. For the rest, I'm just buying them as needed as I like to repaint some of my used cars in colors I prefer and were available for those models.

Can you buy chrome paints and the carbon paint? Because I can’t seem to see them in the paint selection, how do you unlock them or get the Chrome/Carbon, I don’t know why they aren’t appearing.

Can you buy chrome paints and the carbon paint? Because I can’t seem to see them in the paint selection, how do you unlock them or get the Chrome/Carbon, I don’t know why they aren’t appearing.
Scroll to the right when selecting the chips. There are more textures.

I guess eventually this game becomes a "Gotta collect 'em all" game. I'm a few shy on cars. Already bought most of the wheels. Paints I'm not sure about. Seems the paint menu would get too full, but I probably will get them all once I run out of things to buy.

Back