The Course Editor

• Thread starter 3Axis
  • 63 comments
ThreeAxis
I'm going to keep this short and sweet-

"Third tale says that
for the first time ever skypaths will not be just solid and already known but that new skypaths will be built by birdtamers from the parts of existing skypaths."

From Amar212's cryptogram, this implies the involvement of a track editor.

What are your thoughts?

I find it a bit strange that new courses can be built with the sections of other course. "...parts of existing skypaths."
I find it peculiar because does this mean simply the rearrangement of parts of particular courses, or the ability to cross-over course components in order to make them more elaborate?

"Parts" could also mean stuff like the type of groundtextures, objects llike tire barriers or guardrailes etc. or that there are city landscapes where you can place a route.

I doubt we will see a trackeditor though and im sure this "tale" means something else.
Would love a track editor though.

EDIT: I use the word "though" too often. :lol:

Well spotted! I really hope we have a track editor. Does Amar work for PD?

This information is a bit old, but I find it hasn't been discussed thoroughly.

I'm seeing the potential to completely rearranging the layout of courses. For example, to redesign Nurburgring with it's own curves in different complexities--though GT Ace could be right.

IF there is a track editor it will only be on fantasy tracks and maybe a city. Real tracks normally don't allow them to even put a reverse route so they surely won't let us edit them.

I think if there is a track editor it will just be laying out a course in an already made city.

I've always dreamed of a hybrid of Suzuka, Nordschleife, and Laguna Seca.

I'd even settle for a autocross/gymkhana editor.

maybe we'll have a square mile (maybe 2) of just tarmac as the base. Like the license test on GT4 with the cones, except bigger... then we'll have a bunch of tools etc, etc, etc. u know the deal.. that's my idea

maybe its just an abilty too choose difrent conditions ea weather or time for online racing too make your own onlinerace. butif it is possible too edit track or build them yourself it would be huge

I am impressed that someone worked out the man was talking about a track editor! To me gt sounds like the man had a very nice long weekend in Amsterdam with Eric Cantona!

Well with the success sony has had with user created content i wouldn´t be surprised if they would have pushed for somthing like that, at the same time when you think of that they have stated, 1st party and i think even 2nd party devs do share knowledge and tools/tech with each other to speed things up for all, it wouldn´t be as farfetched, would stilll be pretty huge and freakishly awsome. :)

Well now that GT5 has a WRC license, I'm thinkin' that the track editor could be involved in stage planning if the old rally courses in previous games are done away with.

I was thinking about this the other day and It reminded me of one of the old Tony Hawk games where you could create your own skate park. I'm thinking it'll be like that. You start with a blank canvas and use default parts to create your own. Like there's a set of 10 rumble strips to choose from, a choice of sand or grass, hairpin corners, banked corners.. you get the idea? Just my thoughts.

I think if there is a track editor it will just be laying out a course in an already made city.
This is my idea too, although I stretched it out to include rural and mountain areas as well, so you could do Rally, including a long non-looped course. Linking together routes, whether city, highway, rural or mountainous country should be quite a bear to render but pretty simple to code. And I think this is going to be it.

This would be amazing, I have so many ideas in my mind. I have always wanted to create a track with my favorite turns in motorsport.

I'm surprised this hasn't raised more eyebrows since Amar first mentioned it. An "easy to use" track editor has the potential to change the GT series - and the racing genre - in absolutely incredible ways. The depth and scale of the game would become virtually endless, and I can only imagine the thousands of hours of creativity that many people here would invest in the feature. Perhaps I'm odd, but when out jogging or riding my bike in rural areas, I'm inspired by every turn and dip in the road, imaging how challenging it would be if taken at speed. To be able to implement those corners, drive them in the game, and then share them with the world is incredibly exciting to me.

Of course, the practical side of such a feature must also be considered. Track files would obviously have to be saved on the PS3's HDD, and I can only presume they would be large. It would be a shame if these files could not be shared with other players, but the technical infrastructure required to handle direct uploads from the game would be prohibitively expensive. I wouldn't be surprised to see Polyphony use the experience they've learned with the distributed download feature of Gran Turismo TV to decentralize the load. This opens the door for lots of reliability issues, however, and it may be difficult for non-technical players to understand why they can't download a track (e.g. if no seeds were available).

I would personally like to see track files which can be stored on external media and then uploaded to third party websites (like GTPlanet). It would seem to be the most practical and cost-effective solution for Polyphony to implement, and I seriously hope that's something they consider.

A few years ago on some primitive machines like the spectrum, there was a Scalextrix game which had a cheap and cheerful track editor using scalextrix track sections. now it could be possible to do something like that, i suppose but i don't think the finished track would have the same spit and polish. You could have all sorts off graphical glich's and tears appearing, even on a PS3. But then, if i'm wrong on that, boy would I be really unhappy!!

Because this one is discussing one thing in particular while Amar's discusses all at once.

I'm surprised this hasn't raised more eyebrows since Amar first mentioned it. An "easy to use" track editor has the potential to change the GT series - and the racing genre - in absolutely incredible ways. The depth and scale of the game would become virtually endless, and I can only imagine the thousands of hours of creativity that many people here would invest in the feature. Perhaps I'm odd, but when out jogging or riding my bike in rural areas, I'm inspired by every turn and dip in the road, imaging how challenging it would be if taken at speed. To be able to implement those corners, drive them in the game, and then share them with the world is incredibly exciting to me.

Of course, the practical side of such a feature must also be considered. Track files would obviously have to be saved on the PS3's HDD, and I can only presume they would be large. It would be a shame if these files could not be shared with other players, but the technical infrastructure required to handle direct uploads from the game would be prohibitively expensive. I wouldn't be surprised to see Polyphony use the experience they've learned with the distributed download feature of Gran Turismo TV to decentralize the load. This opens the door for lots of reliability issues, however, and it may be difficult for non-technical players to understand why they can't download a track (e.g. if no seeds were available).

I would personally like to see track files which can be stored on external media and then uploaded to third party websites (like GTPlanet). It would seem to be the most practical and cost-effective solution for Polyphony to implement, and I seriously hope that's something they consider.

I believe, they are actually not going to be over 5Mb or so, That file would only contain Information of what Part of the game will be used in Specific Location, including textures and that, because Its Something you'll have installed in your PS3, the file its only going to tell the PS3 where to use the parts you have.💡

what does a track editor do?

i know that a livery editor allows you to style your car with pictures and a whole bunch of stuffs

does the track editor allow you to make a whole new track or just edit it?

Perhaps I'm odd, but when out jogging or riding my bike in rural areas, I'm inspired by every turn and dip in the road, imaging how challenging it would be if taken at speed. To be able to implement those corners, drive them in the game, and then share them with the world is incredibly exciting to me.
My inspiration was similar, as I was speeding home from work one evening, and being after midnite the streets were empty. I thought about how cool it would be if - total pipe dream - racing in certain areas was permitted during late night hours away from urban areas. And then it occurred to me, "What if Gran Turismo had a city laid out for a square mile or so, and you could connect roads and highways into circuits or point to point courses?" It grew from there into a few square miles, and I kept returning to the idea periodically. I thought since Test Drive Underground basically nipped off with part of Hawaii, I wondered if Kaz and the lads could do the same thing.

I think the reason so many eyebrows haven't been raised is because so many have written it off, either because of licensing issues, would be hard to do, not look cool enough, data space issues, etc.

Will it come in some form? I hope so, and at launch too.

There was a game for the Dreamcast called V-Rally 2 that released years ago. One of the most interesting and innovative features of the game was that you could completely design your own rally stage and then race it. I don't personally own the game but I was over at a friends house and he had it. I remember we had a blast just creating the most insane stage we could possibly make. Massive hills and what could really be called cliffs were everywhere throughout the stage. It really was great fun. The potential of a feature like this in GT is immense. Just look at how popular games like LittleBigPlanet have gotten. Melding the LBP and GT together could result in one of the biggest and best games ever created. And one that I would never put down.

Maybe a simple editor... huge empty space of black tarmac and infinite number of cones lol. Or may you can paint lintes :lol:

I'm torn between the concept of a fixed selection of course components and an full-fledged editor similar to the one demonstrated on ModNation Racers at the E3. The latter is the least probable.

A ModNation Racers type track editor for GT5 would be too good to be true. I'd spend more time designing new tracks than I would racing!

Back