The Dozen Things I Miss In GT5...

• Thread starter 2_FAST_4_U
  • 14 comments
United States
U.S.A.
So I fired up my PS2 and went back to GT4 today with my favorite car, the GT-R R34 V-spec II Nur '02 Millennium Jade (M) for some fun runs at these sadly missed "dozen" circuits...Maybe videos replays soon when time allows.

Infineon (Sonoma Sears Point)
Apricot Hill
El Capitan
Midfield
Citta di Aria
Costa di Amalfi
George V Paris
Hong Kong
New York
Opera Paris
Seattle Central
Seoul Central

I think most of those city tracks aren't found in GT5. If I'm not mistaken, only just a small number of them are included, I guess.

So really it's a dozen "tracks" rather than "things" that you miss then! Get GT6, it has Apricot Hill & Midfield in it, worth it for that alone imho (so cheap pre-owned now).

I thought of doing that VBR, but since GT4 had all those tracks and GT6 has such a long download process along with no Garage Editor available I ran the circuits in GT4. I especially miss the city “night” circuits such as Hong Kong and George V Paris with all the city lights. In addition, and I’m not sure on this, I fear if I did get GT6 and start any downloads it might also update my GT5 version 2.11 which I certainly don’t want under any circumstance.

You can't update GT5 unless the GT5 disc is in the console, so not possible. With GT6, as longs as you download only 6 (I think) updates at a time, it should go fine.

Thanks VBR as I wasn't aware that the updates beyond 2.11 can't happen without the disk in. I assume that holds true even if the whole game itself is on the PS3 hard drive. I might just take a peek at that GT6 considering the low cost of it now.

Thanks VBR as I wasn't aware that the updates beyond 2.11 can't happen without the disk in. I assume that holds true even if the whole game itself is on the PS3 hard drive. I might just take a peek at that GT6 considering the low cost of it now.

If you have a 100% software copy of GT5, maybe that will auto-update, but the disc version won't. As for GT6, it has its own pro's & con's. Graphics are much worse with more aliasing & blurriness, but the menus are infinitely better & lightning fast. Worth getting imho just to see how you personally feel about it.

I'm surprised about the graphics not being up to par versus GT5. I of course can't judge, cause I've never played it. I started with GT2 back in the good ol' days then of course I went happily on to GT3. Then when GT4 came out I was absolutely amazed by the improved technology and the game in itself and was fan boy hooked for life. GT5 was not a disappointment for me either, especially and obviously with the Garage Editor benefits coming reasonably soon after it's release. It might have been a disappointment for others according to what I've read, and I think PD/Sony shouldn't have taken the game down so quickly. Imho it probably would have been a bit wiser to make GT6 in conjunction with the PS4 platform. Of course that is easy to say now in hindsight. Further, I have no interest in GTS at this time with all I've read so far, so I still remain a GT4-GT5 fan boy for life and I'm still finding some new interesting stuff as I've evidenced on the forum this year. I should add here that there is something else besides the twelve circuits I really miss that appeared in GT4 but not in GT5. I'll just let the picture do the talkiing ...

:D

Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V-spec II Nür (R34) '02 Millennium Jade (M)-Two Pool Girls 7.jpg

Last edited:
VBR
If you have a 100% software copy of GT5, maybe that will auto-update, but the disc version won't. As for GT6, it has its own pro's & con's. Graphics are much worse with more aliasing & blurriness, but the menus are infinitely better & lightning fast. Worth getting imho just to see how you personally feel about it.
I've played GT6 a few times and for me, the new menu, though more faster, looks bland and would pale in comparison compared to GT5 in my point of view. The only thing that I dislike about the latter's menu is that it can be slow and some glitch may occur sometime so yeah, that's annoying. I also like the in-game soundtracks of GT5 than the ones found in GT6. The track maker and the available rally races are a great addition to it. That's not to say GT6 isn't a good game at all. It still has more content, such as new cars, new tracks, new features and more customizations for cars as well, which is a great welcome to the game. But I still play GT5 a lot more for personal reasons. I still feel a connection to it whenever I play the game, even until now.

Gran Turismo Sport offers the best presentation of the series, but I occasionally find myself going back to GT5 to race on some of the original tracks.

Good job finding some females in the audience (sunbathing, even) 2_Fast_4-U!

I am going to try to focus mostly on Gran Turismo 5 vs. GT3 and 4.

1). In GT4 we could install just about any wheel on any car,. I loved putting cheap black steel rims on some sleeper, instead of something flashy from BBS or Yokohama. Then after I destroy the competition they never saw me coming.

2). I miss GT3's replay system, which had a feature that randomly focused on different cars. I think GT4 had something like this too.

3). Greater selection with racing tires (super hard, hard, medium, soft, and super soft) though GT5 does a better job with tires lasting longer during enduros, in my opinion.

4). Competing against cars in real-time during rallies (not just time-trialing them).

5). All tracks mentioned in the OP, El Capitan is tops on my list. Love that scenery.

6).

7). Missions! 👍 That feeling of finally beating Mission 34 has rarely been equaled during other videogame experiences, right? Mission 34 is in my Top Ten Videogame Moments.

8). More overall challenge during slower (Beginner and Amateur) races.

9). Nitrous (rarely used this feature, but it was nice to have just in case, especially after some doofus wrecked my racing line while punting me).

10). Um... I can't think of any at the moment. Wait, yes I can. Additional tuning options, such as Stage 4 and 5 turbos. Stage 5 was better for off-road stuff sometimes. And also Org suspensions. Again, these were better for rallies sometimes. More suspension travel.

11). B-spec has more options, including the ability to fast-forward. And also, B-spec drivers actually benefited from practicing around an empty track, meaning they could enter races already with some skill.

12). A bunch of race series are missing in the latter game. An example: NA (naturally-aspirated) races. In GT4 we get NA and turbo races. In GT5 this got scaled down to turbo races, and then only TWO tracks. I miss some of the Manufacturer's races too. In general there is less overall to do in GT5, though some may argue that a lot of GT3 & 4's races were redundant.

Here are some things I DON'T miss...

1). Getting punted by AI. ARRGH!!!! :mad:

2). Being forced to take unnatural cornering lines into turns so I don't get punted by AI.

3). 6 cars per race.

4). Extreme tire wear during endurance races.

5). Jeez, how can I forget? UNDERSTEER!!!!!!!!!

6).Lack of oversteer traits, especially for most rear and all-wheel drives. :mad: Everything from simply lifting off the gas to tighten that line, to throttle-driven dR!ft1ng, all of this is usually missing from GT3 and 4.

7). Front-end snap-back. For those who don't know what this is, try drifting just about any rear-drive (especially RDs which should be able to drift). Try to countersteer. Now try to figure out what the heck the front-end just did, as you crawl out of the nearest sand trap. :rolleyes:

8). Lame menu music. My opinion of course, but the music in GT4 never got me pumped to race, like it should. GT5's isn't much better (opinion) but at least we could substitute our own.

9). Destroying PS2 controllers. Maybe I'm the only one here, but I used to regularly trash controllers after getting mad at the game, like Pete Townsend smashing up a Les Paul. Good thing controllers were so cheap back then....

10). Memory cards! ... and general lack of memory to save replays.

Last edited:
Nearly all the tracks and events from GT4 are actually somewhat present but they got rid of their entries in 5... idk why, guess it was to rush the release

Gran Turismo Sport offers the best presentation of the series, but I occasionally find myself going back to GT5 to race on some of the original tracks.

I really just see GTS as platform to test and transition period from 5/6 to new gen console where GT7 will be.

Back