The Dress

• Thread starter Robin
  • 297 comments

What Colour Is This Dress?

• Blue With Black Stripes

• White With Gold Stripes

• Another Colour Combination

• Not Sure Because I Only Wear Them On Weekends...

Results are only viewable after voting.

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'm starting to think this is some sort of big internet prank or some sort of social experiment testing the power of suggestion.

There was a picture taken of a dress, the internet as a result has exploded. People are divided as to whether the dress is Blue with Black stripes or White with Gold stripes.

2622C22600000578-0-image-a-32_1425001827044.jpg

I have 20/20 perfect vision and I am actually scared that people are seeing this dress as White and Gold. :scared:

This whole discussion has lead to serious scientific analysis of the image and it's colours as well as neuroscientists and vision experts weighing in... seriously what has happened here!

It might be to do with everyone's different screens. If people have the brightness maxed out with poor contrast it might look different but no one has that shoddy a screen!

Last edited:
You might have 20/20 vision, but it doesn't account for your latent colour blindness, I'm seeing that as white and gold...

I have full eye tests 2 times a year. Better go back in again! :lol:

EDIT - It's listed as Blue and Black on the designers website. They don't make a White and Gold one but I think I get it now. It's an optical illusion caused by a vision phenomenon. When you change the colour of the background it makes the dress change colour, some peoples eyes disregard the background colour in different ways.

150226_SLATEST_TheDress-White.jpg.CROP.promovar-medium2.jpg
150226_SLATEST_TheDress-Black.jpg.CROP.promovar-medium2.jpg

Last edited:
I starting to think this is some sort of big internet prank or some sort of social experiment testing the power of suggestion.

There was a picture taken of a dress, the internet as a result has exploded. People are divided as to whether the dress is Blue with Black stripes or White with Gold stripes.I have 20/20 perfect vision and I am actually scared that people are seeing this dress as White and Gold. :scared:

This whole discussion has lead to serious scientific analysis of the image and it's colours as well as neuroscientists and vision experts weighing in... seriously what has happened here!

It might be to do with everyone's different screens. If people have the brightness maxed out with poor contrast it might look different but no one has that shoddy a screen!
It's 8592BC with 8F7E6C stripes.

itswhite.jpg

withgoldstripes.jpg

OK! Photoshop says it's Blue and Gold!

But seriously because the picture was taken with a poor quality smart phone camera it's caused it to be overexposed and bordering on the colour change tipping point hence the differing opinions.

I've maxed out the brightness on my screen and tilted it slightly downwards now it looks White and Gold. Gosh how bright do you guys have your screens!

White. And baby poo brown .. It cannot be gold otherwise there be a reflectiona as gold is a mettalic.

Tbh who cares even if the person wore a potato sack I wouldn't care

I've maxed out the brightness on my screen and tilted it slightly downwards now it looks White and Gold. Gosh how bright do you guys have your screens!
I'm looking at it on my phone. White and gold

Just checked on my phone, the Gold is very Gold and it's White with a very slight blue tinge. On my laptop its totally Blue and Black.

Apple has gone and done this! damn them with their iPhone and iPad calibration!

Last edited:
The blue comes in because of the tint in the shop which has altered the reflection of the white. Sorry, but not even turning the brightness and contrast down, nor the colour temperature changes it to blue and black, and neither does changing the colour of the background. Something weird going on here.....

Things that go viral sometimes are stupid . I bet this makes the proper news channels.. start of ww3 will be over diffrent opinions on a dress colour :)

On my laptop the white parts look darker, like greyish but I'm clever enough to realise that's because of how the photo has been taken and how it appears on my screen. It's white and beige people.

edit

EDIT - It's listed as Blue and Black on the designers website. They don't make a White and Gold one but I think I get it now. It's an optical illusion caused by a vision phenomenon. When you change the colour of the background it makes the dress change colour, some peoples eyes disregard the background colour in different ways.

The background makes no difference to the colour of the dress. It's still white and beige.

I'd understand this argument if people were arguing whether a zebra is white with black stripes or black with white stripes, but how are any of you guys seeing white in what is clearly baby blue or darker?

Only thing I can think of is maybe the colour reproduction and/or the CCDs in the camera are low quality and have resulted in a poor quality image. No amount of changing the image is going to fix that, but a better quality shot should change it (and taking the picture in a more light neutral environment). The baby blue is a result of the lighting causing problems for the camera.

It changes colour, I looked at it initially and it was clearly white and gold, scrolled through the text, went back up to the picture and caught it clearly change colour to blue and black. This whole thing is just a farcical illusion.

If we had a HD picture and not a VGA one that was blurry it would be easier to tell.

There are goldish parts, but there are also dark gray parts as well.

I got "4e4737" which is this █████ as a value on the black/gold part and I got it from the Middle(vertical) part of the the dress

I see what has happened. The dress is actually blue and "black," but if you look closely, the black is not a perfect black, there is in fact a slight colour tint to the material. The photo is severely overexposed making it look baby blue and light brown. The evidence is in the background, some areas of the photo have lost all detail from the overexposure.

I'm not sure about the monitor quality argument. Two people in the office were looking at the same picture in the same device and saw different colours. I see blue and black/brown.

jumping from my phone to pc ... its now black and blue ... samsung s3 galaxy tab and a samsung 1080p led tv/ moniter very strange there next to me now i see white and brown on the phone blue and black on the screen :boggled:

Get your phone out log in here then turn your pc on do the same then compare

I'm a bit odd on this because I alternate. Sometimes I see White and Gold while other times I see Blue and Black on the same screen, sometimes even get Blue and Gold.

Back