The Ford v. Ferrari Movie Will Be Hollywood's Take on the Epic RivalryMovies 

Saw the movie yesterday and can absolutely recommend it to everyone, even if you‘re not interested in such stuff. 👍

The only thing that bothered me a bit were the 18"(?) wheels on the Cobra Daytona in some scenes :lol:

...Ok, so. I got to see this film alongside Gemini Man back-to-back yesterday. Completely free to boot, too.

It speaks volumes that a near 3-hour biopic with the subject matter I was quite well acquainted with felt more urgent and engaging than a two-hour long action thriller. The latter felt plodding and cringy-inducingly stupid, but the former, while not perfect, felt more action-packed and thrilling.

I'd not mind seeing it again, and pay the full admission fee this time. It's a good enough film to buy in Blu-ray later.

I really enjoyed it. I saw it with a bunch of non-car people friends and they really liked it too.

Overall, it was a terrific movie. There's some small inaccuracies such as the American road markings rather than the French ones

I've also watched the movie and it's terrific, recommended 👍
I loved some details like the cars competing in LeMans, the GT40s are accurate too as far as I've noticed.

I saw it Wednesday night and I thought it was very good. We have a theater here with the recliners, larger than normal screen, massive sound system and that's where I saw it. The car sounds on that system were very good. I worked for Chrysler from 1978-2006 so I was very familiar with Lee Iacocca. I knew he had a lot to do with the Mustang introduction but I didn't know he had anything to do with the race team back then.

I've also watched the movie and it's terrific, recommended 👍
I loved some details like the cars competing in LeMans, the GT40s are accurate too as far as I've noticed.
Iirc the GT40s are built by Superformance.

Went to see it today at my local cinema (as Le Mans '66) and enjoyed it very much. To repeat my post in the 'What movies have you seen lately' thread:
Felt like it struck the right balance between racing scenes and the inter-personal frictions that helped shape Ford's early development of the GT40. I'd honestly say that the UK title seems more fitting, since it is more focused on the issues that Ford and Shelby themselves faced when conceptualising, testing and racing the car. The driving scenes are dynamic and incredibly absorbing - felt the engines rumbling through my seat even at a regular 2D screening - Christian Bale does an absolutely terrific job as Ken Miles and even the family relationship between him, his wife and his son feels naturally woven into the main plot. Honestly didn't care too much about any historical inaccuracies concerning the rivalry itself. Just glad to have seen a thrilling and well-made racing film with plenty of substance beneath it.

....I saw an interview Christian Bale did where he said he "saw the first cut of the movie which was 3 and a half hours long, and was bloody fantastic". I know that doesn't mean anything, but can't help but wonder whether we might get a director's cut or something later on. I couldn't help but feel that John Bernthal's Lee Iaccoca was rather under-served as a character in the latter half of the movie, as if most of his arc had been left on the cutting room floor. Maybe the lengthier version might change that, I don't know....

....I saw an interview Christian Bale did where he said he "saw the first cut of the movie which was 3 and a half hours long, and was bloody fantastic". I know that doesn't mean anything, but can't help but wonder whether we might get a director's cut or something later on. I couldn't help but feel that John Bernthal's Lee Iaccoca was rather under-served as a character in the latter half of the movie, as if most of his arc had been left on the cutting room floor. Maybe the lengthier version might change that, I don't know....
Oh man I want that 3 hour movie.

Iirc the GT40s are built by Superformance.
Actually...

http://race-car-replicas.com/ford-vs-ferrari-project

I cannot tell you how much I loved this movie...I was worried we wouldn't see enough GT40's for my taste (didn't see enough in the trailers) and boy was I wrong!
Usually never make it through a movie this long without having to make a break for the restroom (love my popcorn and pop at the movies), but I didn't budge an inch for the entire film and it didn't hit me till the end that I hadn't left the theater.

If you're interested in what they got right and what they fictionalized...
http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/ford-v-ferrari/

I love movies based on true stories and I always wait till I see the movie before I go to this site to see what was true and not.

I went to see this yesterday, albeit it's called LeMans 66 over here, and it was a very good film. The acting by Bale and Damon was excellent, there was obviousely some artistic license used with the story, but the file was executed bry well overall. I would say it's better than Rush, but Rush is possibly more re-watchable due to it being faster paced, however, I would happily watch this again, even an extended directors cut of it. It did slow down a bit in the middle, but the acting was more than good enough to carry that part of the movie.

I've seen three movies lately: Ford v. Ferrari, Knives Out, and then Jojo Rabbit, in that order chronologically. I'd say that's also the order I'd rank them, with the first two almost being tied - they were both excellent. Can't say as much about Jojo Rabbit, as it seems as if it was trying to do too many things at once and tore itself apart in the process.

Finally caught up. Agree with everyone here, amazing movie and exceeded my expectations for a racing movie from Hollywood 👍 Even knowing that the race scenes are shot on a different track, my mind still believes it's at La Sarthe so props to the editing and effects team. The cars sound amazing and absolutely spot on.

Personally I still like Rush a teeny tiny bit more. Probably because it has a more satisfying ending. Hardly the movies fault though because that's what happened in real life. It's a real shame Ken Miles will never be listed among Le Mans winners just because of a petty rule.

Wonder what other VS racing movies could we see in the future? :D
Prost v Senna
Porsche v Toyota (Le Mans)
Subaru v Mitsubishi (WRC 90s)
Ferrari v McLaren (F1 late 90s)

I watched the film last night, and I enjoyed it. I didn't know a lot about the real story in detail, but I felt a lot was glossed over. I think they got the feel of the period conveyed well.

As for the characters, while Rush could focus on the individual drivers, and the competition between them, Le Mans is a race with multiple drivers per team, but they barely got on screen and muttered a word. I know the story was about Miles and Shelby as the main characters, but they could have had the other drivers given names and a few scenes.

I was reading a bit about the background whilst writing this, and forgot that I meant to look online to see which football kit Ken Miles son was wearing in the film, assuming it was a team from the northwest of England judging by Christian Bale's accent, only to find out that Ken Miles came from the midlands, :lol: and so it was probably an Aston Villa replica jersey. I've never heard Ken Miles speak, so don't know how accurate Bale's performance was. He was entertaining though. :)

Last edited:
. I;ve never heard Ken Miles speak, so don't know how accurate Bale's performance was. He was entertaining though. :)
It's not really accurate but good enough.

To hear Ken Miles speak, skip to around 24 minute mark, the whole video is a damn gem though.

Wonder what other VS racing movies could we see in the future? :D
Prost v Senna
Porsche v Toyota (Le Mans)
Subaru v Mitsubishi (WRC 90s)
Ferrari v McLaren (F1 late 90s)

I want a proper Group B movie. All star (talented) casts playing as the drivers and co-drivers with the plot just about the rise and fall of Group B.

It's not really accurate but good enough.

To hear Ken Miles speak, skip to around 24 minute mark, the whole video is a damn gem though.

Thanks for posting the video - I had seen it before and remember thinking when I heard it that Miles sounded a bit of a Toff (Upper Class English accent). In the film he was given a slight Birmingham / Solihull (Midlands) accent.

Your comment, "It's not really accurate, but good enough", could apply to the whole film as well as the Christian Bale performance.

I saw the film last night. I was less impressed than most of the people who have commented so far. The acting was excellent by Bale and Damon with the latter sounding quite convincing as Carroll Shelby. The old cars (or replicas were excellent). The film didn't drag as much as some reviewers said.

I understand that the real story couldn't be fitted into a feature length film and believe that the film was loosely based on the book "Go Like Hell". For anyone who enjoyed the film I would say read the book - it is far, far better and tells the full amazing story.

I felt that the film could have been more true to life, without losing impact. I expected inaccuracies and hollywoodisation, but there was a bit too much of that for my taste.

Whats the difference between sound editing and sound mixing? 1917 was great as well but why the two categories?

Whats the difference between sound editing and sound mixing? 1917 was great as well but why the two categories?

The sound mixer is the head dude in charge of the audio recording on set. Usually he carries a rectangular box (which is also called a sound mixer) on his hip that receives the audio signal, and he tunes the incoming sound to his needs. He is in charge of the audio recorders and boom mic operators. He's the audio equivalent of the cinematographer, the lord of the cameras and lights.

Sound editors work during post-production, in tandem with the film editor and colourist. They edit the recorded dialogue and sound effects, add music and sound effects, add dialogue recorded after production, etc. Post-production is where the movie is actually made.

Back