The Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

Yes. We've known for some time. The South Africans have been trying to put together a bid for a while now, and the Mexicans have become increasingly interested with the arrival of Sergio Perez.

Interesting little article from Joe Saward: apparently, the Singaporeans aren’t happy with their Grand Prix because it’s too disruptive, so they’re considering moving it out to the new Kallang Sports Hub just outside the city centre. It’s an interesting article because they’re apparently studying alternate routes themselves – nobody has been commissioned to do the work.

Now that is very interesting. I was just planning to go for the GP next year and hopefully they wouldn't move the location because I bet it will lose the speciality and the glamour of the Singapore GP. If it's far away from the city then there's no point for me to go next year...

The proposed site is only three kilometres away. It would just be in a place where the city would not be as afected.

Of course, that assumes what Saward is reporting is true.

It's not a circuit being built for Formula 1, but with Jacarepaguá being demolished to make way for the 2016 Olympic Games, Rio is going to build a new circuit to Grade-1 standards. This was the original concept, which took all the worst parts of Motegi and turn them up to 11:
7732552autodromodeodoro.jpg

However, the project has since been reworked, and this is apaprently the final design:
23_info_RIO_projeto.jpg

So if ever Formula 1 left Interlagos, I wouldn't mind it landing in Rio.

“After Russia I would like to go to South Africa and Mexico,” Ecclestone told Britain's The Independent newspaper. “Both countries are trying to do something."

Ecclestone added that Greece was also looking to get a race of its own, despite the country currently trying to stave off bankruptcy.

This here is the truth behind his decisions for new race targets.

What, that he's trying to get the sport into countries where there are new and bigger fanbases? how is that a bad thing for the sport? Or maybe this truth is that he is hesitant to take money from a country whose economy has hit rock bottom and is continuing to dig?

I'd like to see half the schedule be annual events, and the other half be every other year events. Then F1 could visit about 30 tracks (not 20) in the course of a two year period. I'd keep Monaco, Monza, Silverstone, Spa, Suzuka, Interlagos, Nurburgring and a few others as every year events (respect the heritage of the sport), and let the others rotate in and out on consecutive years.

Agree with this?

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Although Spa doesn't want a GP every year, hence why they are talking about alternating with France.

Here are the races I feel should be annual.

Australia
Britain
Monaco
Italy
Germany
Brazil

As well as all the new ones that have been started recently so they can at least get a following before starting to alternate.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Although Spa doesn't want a GP every year, hence why they are talking about alternating with France.

Here are the races I feel should be annual.

Australia
Britain
Monaco
Italy
Germany
Brazil

I agree, but although here is what my style would be:
  • "Keep Monaco, Monza, Silverstone, Spa, Suzuka, Interlagos, Nurburgring and a few others as every year events, and let the others rotate in and out on consecutive years."
  • Kuwait (alternating with Bahrain)
  • Argentina (alternating with China)
  • Jordan or Saudi Arabia (alternating with Korea)
  • Puerto Rico (alternating with USA)
  • European GP: Donington (alternating with Valencia)

Who's in to bring back Formula 1 to Argentina? They (South Americans) really love it there, and they'd love to see it back in Argentina.

Unrealistic choices there. :rolleyes:

And I'm pretty sure all of those countries race organisers would not like to alternate their races with another... Considering that China have secured a contract until 2017, Korea worked hard to secure a GP last year so as the US to build a circuit and secure a race next year.

InvincibleM5
And I'm pretty sure all of those countries race organisers would not like to alternate their races with another... Considering that China have secured a contract until 2017, Korea worked hard to secure a GP last year so as the US to build a circuit and secure a race next year.

You're right. I have to admit this. They can alternate when the contract runs out.

Jerez is better than Donington?

At least it's not bankrupt :lol:

A Puerto Rican Grand Prix? I'd only support it because Puerto Rico is a stone's throw away from here, so i'd be able to go. But as far as I know, Puerto Rico has no racetrack that could support anything like Formula 1.

A Puerto Rican Grand Prix? I'd only support it because Puerto Rico is a stone's throw away from here, so i'd be able to go. But as far as I know, Puerto Rico has no racetrack that could support anything like Formula 1.

Come on, Donington can recover from bankruptcy and yes, there is still room in Puerto Rico for an FIA Grade 1 track to be built. The Argentine Grand Prix can be brought back, as I stated earlier in the forum.

Okay, if we had ten "core" events and twenty "rotation" events, the scedule would probably go something like this:

Core events
- Monaco
- Silverstone
- Monza
- Melbourne
- Austin
- Suzuka
- Shanghai
- Sochi
- Interlagos
- Buddh International

These core events would consist of two different types: those considered important to the championship because of their history (is Silverstone, Monaco), and those considered important because of the markets they open up (ie China, Russia), which are improtant to manufacturers. Sure, it would be nice to have Spa on a yearly basis - but they've already indicated that they would alternate with France, so I've taken that into consideration. Speaking of, those events could go like this:

Rotation events
- Paul Ricard/Spa
- Istanbul/Hungaroring
- Bahrain/Yas Marina
- Sepang/Singapore
- Mexico/Montreal
- Germany/Austria
- Portugal/Spain
- Venezuela/Argentina
- Sweden/Poland
- South Africa/the Netherlands

I tried to group them based on geography; finding one for South Africa was the hardest, because South Africa is probably the only country in Africa that could host a race, so there aren't really any countries that are close enough for an alternate venue.

I tried to group them based on geography; finding one for South Africa was the hardest, because South Africa is probably the only country in Africa that could host a race, so there aren't really any countries that are close enough for an alternate venue.

Marrakech has a WTCC venue, They would just need to edit the chicanes a bit and it would be an amazing F1 venue.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5120199

Did you know about the facts about an F1 event?

It is number 1 in economic impact among annual sporting events worldwide.

Last edited:
Core events
- Monaco
- Silverstone
- Monza
- Melbourne
- Austin
- Suzuka
- Shanghai
- Sochi
- Interlagos
- Buddh International
- Nurburgring/Hockenheim (will continue to alternate for the German Grand Prix)
- Donington (European Grand Prix)
- Montreal

Rotation events
- Paul Ricard Magny-Cours/Spa
- Istanbul Red Bull Ring (Austria)/Hungaroring
- Bahrain/Yas Marina
- Sepang/Singapore
- Mexico/Montreal Puerto Rico
- Germany/Austria
- Portugal/Spain
- Venezuela Chile/Argentina
- Sweden/Poland
- South Africa/the Netherlands Morocco

VENEZUELA?! How about CHILE? Chile has a better economy because it doesn't have a government controlled economy like Venezuela does. Paul Ricard? Magny-Cours is better. And why would Germany and Austria rotate?! How about Austria and Hungary rotating because these two were once one nation: The Austro-Hungary Empire and Turkey is dropped for next season. For Germany, leave as is. Donington should host the European Grand Prix because they should bid for the race after Valencia expires and a second try to bid following their failed British Grand Prix bid and hosted the European Grand Prix in 1993. Come on, Montreal should be a core event because they remember Jacques Villeneuve winning an F1 title and Mexico should alternate with Puerto Rico. South Africa should alternate with Morocco and Morocco should have a purpose-built (and permanent) FIA Grade 1 track, not a temporary street course.

Core events
- Monaco
- Silverstone
- Monza
- Melbourne
- Austin
- Suzuka Fuji
- Shanghai
- Sochi
- Interlagos
- Buddh International
- Montreal
- Hockenheim

Rotation events
- Paul RicardZandvoort/Spa
- Istanbul/Hungaroring
- BahrainLosail/Yas MarinaBuddh
- Sepang/Singapore
- Mexico City/MontrealLong Beach or Sebring
- Algarve/Red Bull Ring
- Anderstorp/Donington Park
- Phakisa or Killarney/Marrakech

My version

EDIT: How did I forget to get rid of Hungary?

Last edited:

Donington isn't bankrupt. :confused:

Perhaps you were referring to the nonsense people that tried to change Donington into a GP track in 2009 and failed? Thankfully the track was bought back and revived since that mess and racing still continues.

I don't remember Jerez providing much exciting racing in the past, the odd Villenueve incident here and there but the track itself is not much better than Catalunya or Valencia (Valencia the race track, not the street track). Almost all the Spanish tracks appear to be mainly for bikes and not very good for cars.

Pardon me, I just never heard anything of Donington after it folded prior to trying to host the British Grand Prix there in 2009.

VENEZUELA?! How about CHILE? Chile has a better economy because it doesn't have a government controlled economy like Venezuela does. Paul Ricard? Magny-Cours is better. And why would Germany and Austria rotate?! How about Austria and Hungary rotating because these two were once one nation: The Austro-Hungary Empire and Turkey is dropped for next season. For Germany, leave as is. Donington should host the European Grand Prix because they should bid for the race after Valencia expires and a second try to bid following their failed British Grand Prix bid and hosted the European Grand Prix in 1993. Come on, Montreal should be a core event because they remember Jacques Villeneuve winning an F1 title and Mexico should alternate with Puerto Rico. South Africa should alternate with Morocco and Morocco should have a purpose-built (and permanent) FIA Grade 1 track, not a temporary street course.
Why the hell did you add Germany, Donington and Montreal to the list of "core races"? The entire point is that there is only ten, because only ten are manageable - and the ten have been chosen because they're important to both the championship and to manufacturers. You can't have thirteen; it defeats the entire purpose. And I put Germany in the rotation list because they're already rotating between venues. Likewise, what's this fixation with Puerto Rico? There are no circuits there!

Thank you for ruining the whole idea because you think you know better.

Why the hell did you add Germany, Donington and Montreal to the list of "core races"? The entire point is that there is only ten, because only ten are manageable - and the ten have been chosen because they're important to both the championship and to manufacturers. You can't have thirteen; it defeats the entire purpose. And I put Germany in the rotation list because they're already rotating between venues. Likewise, what's this fixation with Puerto Rico? There are no circuits there!

Thank you for ruining the whole idea because you think you know better.

Germany is a core event because two tracks rotate and under rotational events it sounds like two German Grands Prix per year to me. Under core, there is only one German Grand Prix. Donington, because it is better than Valencia. Montreal, because they remember Jacques Villeneuve's F1 triumph.

The fixation with Puerto Rico is that, according to me, needs to have more economic impact than they just currently have in their economy and to have more people employed (the current unemployment rate is 16.1% as of 2010).

Why? Here's the truth and know the facts on F1's economic impact:
  1. F1 is number one among sporting events worldwide
  2. Funding comes from revenues generated by the event at no cost to the city or taxpayers
  3. New money generated will fund needed city services
  4. Creates thousands of jobs
  5. Generates lots of money to the economy

The F1 Grand Prix. Bringing the world to (your name here) and (your name here) to the world.

PS: The "your name here" refers to a specific location.

Last edited:
Germany is a core event because two tracks rotate and under rotational events it sounds like two German Grands Prix per year to me. Under core, there is only one German Grand Prix. Donington, because it is better than Valencia. Montreal, because they remember Jacques Villeneuve's F1 triumph.
A European Grand Prix is unnecessary. It was designed to capitalise on the popularity of a particular driver. It has so far failed.

As for Montreal, Jacques Villeneuve never won the race. His best result was second in 1996, some fifteen years ago. He never scored another point there again. So I don't think Montreal would make people remember his success.

Also, I included Venezuela as a possible location for a race, because unlike Puerto Rico, the Venezuelan government has expressed interest in a race; Chavez suggested building a circuit on the Isla Margarita when Pastor Maldonado won the GP2 title.

The point of having a championship where ten races are held yearly and twenty are held bi-annually is that it allows for thirty host nations, but only twenty Grands Prix, the number the teams believe is the maximum number of feasible events. Under your list, you have thirteen core events and twenty rotational; that means twenty-three per year, more than the teams are willing to do. So you need to lose three races from your core event roster. You can't just pick ten popular races, either - you need to consider what the teams and manufacturers want as well. They feel America and Asia are important markets (there is particular interest in China, and Chinese investment in the sport is a welcome inevitabiltiy), so there should be annual races there, even if they come at the expense of an event that is popular with fans, like Canada. That's the mistake a lot of people make - they seem to think that fans are the only stakeholders in the sport. They're not. You need to consider the demands of teams, manufacturers, the sport's authorities, organisers, broadcasters and locals as well as the demands of the fans. That might mean sacrificing a yearly race at a circuit like Montreal.

Back