The Formula 1 Calendar ThreadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 241 comments
The thing is that it wouldn't be that large of an investment; most of these hyper track-focused supercars are built on already existing platforms & create large profits at $2-3 million+ being sold to owners who will either store them or pay the manufacturers to help run them.
Which means they don't have to even bother with making them motorsports ready at all, because they're already making stupid money on them as it is. Again, no real reason to make the investment.

I get that F1 has been stale and much too engineering focused for a while now, but more gimmick races isn't really going to fix it unless you really want them to go full NASCAR and start piling gimmicks on top of gimmicks until the whole thing is balanced on a wobbly mountain of nonsense.

Or, and this is a wild idea, accept that Monaco isn't a racetrack for F1 anymore and leave it.
My concession is still to have it once every 4 years. So they can still have their "glamour" and "history" race and it's made more "special" by only being occasional. The other three years host a race somewhere else in Europe.

Won't happen though, like everything there is too much money involved.

Which means they don't have to even bother with making them motorsports ready at all, because they're already making stupid money on them as it is. Again, no real reason to make the investment.

I get that F1 has been stale and much too engineering focused for a while now, but more gimmick races isn't really going to fix it unless you really want them to go full NASCAR and start piling gimmicks on top of gimmicks until the whole thing is balanced on a wobbly mountain of nonsense.
The FIA makes the investment by enticing a manufacturer to provide ready made cars, not the manufacturers. I also said it doesn’t have to be such expensive cars.

If you’re not going to bother reading my whole post, this conversation isn’t worth having.

My concession is still to have it once every 4 years. So they can still have their "glamour" and "history" race and it's made more "special" by only being occasional. The other three years host a race somewhere else in Europe.

Won't happen though, like everything there is too much money involved.
That's a good idea for more than just Monaco. I'm a fan of having tracks alternating on the calendar, like Spa and Zandvoort. This way you can have way more tracks available to race on without jamming 25 races into a season.

Qatar was a great drivers circuit but overtaking was limited to one easy DRS zone, so this choice screams of "money".
I thought they won't be using Losail next year, they were talking about a purpose-built circuit near Doha?

I thought they won't be using Losail next year, they were talking about a purpose-built circuit near Doha?
There was talk of a possible street circuit but I don't think it came to anything.

It's Saudi Arabia that is planning to build a new purpose built circuit to replace the street circuit but that got delayed.

Last edited:
There were some rumours for Qatar too but nothing fixed yet for a street race.

Saudi Arabia will take some years to finish the amusement park with the F1 track inside. I can quote myself there:

Building one yes but a 3 year run was planned at Jeddah Corniche Circuit until 2023 and this is already extended to 5 years. So we will probably see the move to the to be built permanent circuit in Qiddiya earliest in 2026. Track should be ready earlier and maybe even ready to the planned date in 2024 but since it will be part of an amusement park (Six Flags Quiddiya) and mall + restaurants and so on, surrounded by other buildings like hotels, etc. they will give these surroundings two more years to get built.

q1-jpg.1129437
q2-jpg.1129438
q3-jpg.1129439
q4-jpg.1129440
q5-jpg.1129450

And yes, the rock formation in the background is there where it will be built and they're planning to run the track under a very huge waterfall: https://goo.gl/maps/64wFiBTpnSoiWHMa9
I mean it's not South Korea. Six Flags is building an amusement park and they will include a F1 race track. Building is already underway. Motorways are completed so trucks can reach the building site. I mean we know the circumstances why they will be quick...

q6-jpg.1129512
q7-jpg.1129513
q8-jpg.1129514
q9-jpg.1129515
q10-jpg.1129516

Last edited:

Miami are resurfacing the entire circuit for 2023, but not changing the layout, to improve the quality of racing on the track. The main layout issue is the horribly tight chicane section under the bridges, but I do sympathise with it because it's a necessary evil with the bridges and would require a major circuit redesign to avoid. All it needs much more Tecpro rather than a bare wall to deal with the kind of crashes Ocon and Sainz had there.

They're also moving the Paddock inside the stadium for some odd reason. Fans can also buy tickets to watch the Paddock, so I assume sit in the stadium seats and watch some hospitality units for a while. Seems like a crazy swindle that they'll still manage to trick some people into buying.

Miami are resurfacing the entire circuit for 2023, but not changing the layout, to improve the quality of racing on the track. The main layout issue is the horribly tight chicane section under the bridges, but I do sympathise with it because it's a necessary evil with the bridges and would require a major circuit redesign to avoid. All it needs much more Tecpro rather than a bare wall to deal with the kind of crashes Ocon and Sainz had there.

They're also moving the Paddock inside the stadium for some odd reason. Fans can also buy tickets to watch the Paddock, so I assume sit in the stadium seats and watch some hospitality units for a while. Seems like a crazy swindle that they'll still manage to trick some people into buying.
Maybe they will run the cars inside the stadium!

So Barcelona in the last few seasons have decided to revert back to the 1995-2003 layout effectively. Seems kinda weird to make changes that are so bad they need reverting.

So Barcelona in the last few seasons have decided to revert back to the 1995-2003 layout effectively. Seems kinda weird to make changes that are so bad they need reverting.

Isn't weird at all if you look at why. The changes for both the hairpin and the final sector were made in an attempt to keep cars closer due to struggling to follow in fast corners and dirty air. The new regulations have been made to eliminate that as much as possible so it makes complete sense to go back to the faster layout.

Reverting La Caixa too means the track is the same as it was 20 years ago.
Technically this version of La Caixa has the initial apex around 50m earlier than the original one, but yeah it's crazy to have gone back to what we had before.

Not that it was good. Those changes were made for a reason, but they didn't work. At least the final sector will be fun to watch the cars through instead of the dire clunky chicane mess that had no effect on overtaking.

Technically this version of La Caixa has the initial apex around 50m earlier than the original one, but yeah it's crazy to have gone back to what we had before.

Not that it was good. Those changes were made for a reason, but they didn't work. At least the final sector will be fun to watch the cars through instead of the dire clunky chicane mess that had no effect on overtaking.
I'm waiting for someone to accidentally go on the wrong course. Do they penalize you if you take a long-cut?

I'm waiting for someone to accidentally go on the wrong course. Do they penalize you if you take a long-cut?
In 100% technicality, you can say they do.
One thing that irritates me about the track limits penalties in races, are that if a driver goes wide through a corner, and then loses time because they went wide, it still counts as a track violation. I believe things like that happened in Austria last year if I'm remembering correctly...

Japan no longer during typhoon season!
20230705_093611.jpg

Also two Saturday races to begin the season.

Last edited:
Clearing the Asia-Pacific races back-to-back, except Singapore should be in there as well.

Last edited:
It's also worth noting that due to Ramadan, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are Thursday-Saturday, rather than Friday-Sunday.

About time they moved Japan, still don't understand why Miami and Canada don't get grouped.
Simple solution is to switch Imola and Canada. Unless they think that will cannibalize attendance.

Back