The Funk Goes On: Hyundai Veloster Turbo Review

Call Ripley. Look like an Alien is stuck in the engine bay.

Nah, it's nice. Hyundai keep moving on up.

Call Ripley. Look like an Alien is stuck in the engine bay.

Nah, it's nice. Hyundai keep moving on up.

I've yet to drive the latest GTI (or the Civic Si for that matter), but I'd certainly consider this a genuine rival for them these days. I've always had a soft spot for the Veloster, but I honestly couldn't say that about the last one. That shifter is Honda-good; that it's all in-house is even more impressive.

It also unlocked the rarest of achievements: besting the quoted gas mileage. A mix of backroads and highways saw us just edge into 34mpg when we parked up.

Oh yeah, and because I couldn't really justify it in the review itself:

2019-Veloster-Turbo-Review-06.jpg

I can now say I found myself in Texas. :D

That shifter is Honda-good; that it's all in-house is even more impressive.
The best news about this is since this new Veloster is on the same platform as my Elantra Sport, the shifter should bolt right in with no issues. Already have my parts guy in South Korea working on it. :)

Then again, I have a B&M short shifter from a Kia Soul in my car with solid aluminum base and cable bushings + weighted shift knob so it's pretty good already.

It also unlocked the rarest of achievements: besting the quoted gas mileage. A mix of backroads and highways saw us just edge into 34mpg when we parked up.

That's what I average in my car. Most people are beating the EPA ratings.

The best news about this is since this new Veloster is on the same platform as my Elantra Sport, the shifter should bolt right in with no issues. Already have my parts guy in South Korea working on it. :)

You'll like it. I didn't hear a single bad thing from anybody else there about it. 👍

That's what I average in my car. Most people are beating the EPA ratings.

Yeah? As someone that's all too used to cars not hitting the numbers on the window, that's great to hear.

"My co-driver was 6’2″, and able to sit behind himself without discomfort."

I know what you meant, @SlipZtrEm, but it made me smile :)

Y'know, I went back and forth a few times on if I needed to expand on that one. I knew someone would call me on it. :lol:

Back