The Future of Toyota Body-on-frame vehicles.

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 183 comments
Toyota tax is the only reason they're going to get away with selling them for that price. Both the ZR2 and Ranger Raptor are more capable for what Americans use them for, trail riding - they both have front lockers which the Toyota doesn't offer at all - although their traction control tech isn't as good as Toyota's. The Chevy in particular is better equipped to be trail rig and crawler, with its warrantied winch and slider options as well as the Bison upgrade including 35-inch tires. The Ford is the highest performance of the bunch, really living up to that California desert running nameplate, while also having the hardware to slow down and crawl if needed.

The Toyota looks cool and apparently has great tech but the mechanical bones aren't there. No sliders and no winch, although the Trailhunter seems to have both as options. None of the Toyotas offer a front locker at all which is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. I feel like this must be some sort of warranty-related decision.

No front locker diff is a non issue for me, that would be the thing that gets used the least. I wouldn’t be taking something like this rock crawling.

The only thing more useless are the shock absorbers in the seats, another feature to drive up the price.

Last edited:
No front locker diff is a non issue for me, that would be the thing that gets used the least. I wouldn’t be taking something like this rock crawling.

The only thing more useless are the shock absorbers in the seats, another feature to drive up the price.
Those seats are part of the reason I think Toyota is just gouging people with money. The vast majority of people I know are more interested in the Trailhunter because that's the type of off-roading we like to do. But the lack of a front locker even as an option is a big oversight - sure it might not be necessary for most of us but out West in the US and Canada people traverse terrain that almost requires it routinely. The aftermarket for front lockers is healthy in the Toyota world because none of the vehicles have ever offered it besides the 80. Fact is, all of the real modern competition offers it - Jeep, Bronco, ZR2, Raptors. The only other truck in this market that doesn't offer a front locker is the Frontier Pro-4X/Hardbody, but that truck maxes out at around $50,000.

Last edited:
Back