The Future of Toyota Body-on-frame vehicles.

• Thread starter Snaeper
  • 41 comments

Keef

Premium
United States
Dayton, OH
GTP_KeefRacer
GTP Keef

Honestly they made some big changes that I feel are either a step back or unnecessary or reduce the appeal of the Sequoia in general.

They got rid of the rear roll-down window which is an excellent feature. Perfect for summer vibes, perfect for an open-air experience, perfect for dogs in the back to hang their heads out the back, and perfect for a sudden rain storm. It's one of the best features on my first-gen Sequoia and the second-gen kept it as it should've.

They also switched to a live rear axle which is odd in my opinion. The second-gen had IRS and did fine with it, even off-road. It wasn't the best but it could've been engineered to be better in that situation. Instead, and presumably because this TRD Pro will be marketed as a Land cruiser replacement, they actually reverted back to a live axle. That means that the load floor is no longer flat. It's got this weird shelf system to fix the problem...but when you're lugging camping gear or trying to sleep in the back of the truck, that little shelf isn't tough enough to do this trick. This is now an annoying glitch that people are going to have to modify around which shouldn't be a problem to begin with. I actually prefer my first-gen's removeable (and heavy) third row, and high but flat load floor. I carry people in that third row like twice a year, there's no reason for it to be there otherwise, and there's no reason the load floor can't simply be flat like mine and the second-gen.

Honestly I'd rather have a second-gen than this. A lift and disconnecting the sway bars fixes the articulation problems. It would be nice to have a locker but that can be added. The new TRD Pro still needs lifted, armored, modified here and there, and in bigger ways - the bumper covers can't simply be removed and replaced by steel, they have to be cut. You have to destroy your parts just to put aftermarket ones on, telling me these trucks weren't actually designed with modification in mind. I don't like that and I think Toyota missed the point on that one.

These new trucks are definitely as big as I'd ever want an off-roading rig to be. I think I'll be downsizing in the future if I decide to get a new vehicle. The sixth-gen 4Runner will probably be just right, assuming they don't mess it up.

Last edited:

Veinz

Premium
Canada
Ontario
It looks too large for most trails here. My 5th gen 4Runner is pretty much the perfect size for this.

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
Some more photos of the new Sequoia:

2023-Toyota-Sequoia-3-1024x555.jpg

1643216937843.png

1643216944708.png

1643216925041.png

Personally, this was a car that I thought for sure would be axed, given the current Sequoia's very poor sales, and not having been meaningfully updated since 2009. So, props to Toyota for keeping the Sequoia around.

The styling is a home run, honestly. Yes, it's busy looking, but somehow it works. The new Tundra's styling seems to work even better on a full-size SUV. I predict it's going to be a much stronger seller than the previous generation.

Keef

Premium
United States
Dayton, OH
GTP_KeefRacer
GTP Keef
Some more photos of the new Sequoia:

2023-Toyota-Sequoia-3-1024x555.jpg

View attachment 1108434

View attachment 1108435

View attachment 1108433

Personally, this was a car that I thought for sure would be axed, given the current Sequoia's very poor sales, and not having been meaningfully updated since 2009. So, props to Toyota for keeping the Sequoia around.

The styling is a home run, honestly. Yes, it's busy looking, but somehow it works. The new Tundra's styling seems to work even better on a full-size SUV. I predict it's going to be a much stronger seller than the previous generation.
I think it's going to sell fine, especially with the TRD Pro edition. But I'm still pissed about the rear window.

Keef

Premium
United States
Dayton, OH
GTP_KeefRacer
GTP Keef
Wow, this search function needs a serious overhaul @Jordan. It's easier to just flip pages if I can't quick search and sort by date.

Anyways, terrible news:

That, my friends, is not a full-size roll-down rear window. I have no idea why Toyota would do this but I have to assume it boils down to cost-saving. The roll-down rear window has been a hallmark of Toyota SUVs and pickup trucks since the 90s and is actually a big selling point, especially for people with dogs. They've gotten rid of it on the Sequoia and now they've gotten rid of it on the Tacoma. Very uncool. I can only assume they'll get rid of it on the 4Runner also which leaves that SUV as a hard sell when so many other off-road options exist these days, the Bronco being the primary competitor to the 4Runner.

I don't know what Toyota's plan here is but they're shooting themselves in the foot. While these truck and SUV markets are heating up, Toyota is removing unique features. I don't get it.

Last edited:
United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
Wow, this search function needs a serious overhaul @Jordan. It's easier to just flip pages if I can't quick search and sort by date.

Anyways, terrible news:

That, my friends, is not a full-size roll-down rear window. I have no idea why Toyota would do this but I have to assume it boils down to cost-saving. The roll-down rear window has been a hallmark of Toyota SUVs and pickup trucks since the 90s and is actually a big selling point, especially for people with dogs. They've gotten rid of it on the Sequoia and now they've gotten rid of it on the Tacoma. Very uncool. I can only assume they'll get rid of it on the 4Runner also which leaves that SUV as a hard sell when so many other off-road options exist these days, the Bronco being the primary competitor to the 4Runner.

I don't know what Toyota's plan here is but they're shooting themselves in the foot. While these truck and SUV markets are heating up, Toyota is removing unique features. I don't get it.

Anyways, terrible news:

Perhaps this is just hindsight bias talking, but this is literally exactly how I’d expect the new Tacoma to look. Just a shrunken Tundra.

Canada
Québec
That, my friends, is not a full-size roll-down rear window. I have no idea why Toyota would do this but I have to assume it boils down to cost-saving.
I’ve never seen a Tacoma with this feature. Are you sure it’s ever been available?

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
I’ve never seen a Tacoma with this feature. Are you sure it’s ever been available?
It hasn't, not on the Tacoma at least. The Tundra had (has?) that option though. There are aftermarket kits that allow you to do it, but they're expensive and don't work well.

The 4Runner does too and I doubt Toyota will drop that feature unless it's for safety or crash test reasons. It's really popular with 4Runner buyers and it's really convenient too, especially when you have a bunch of stuff in the cargo area and you don't want it to fall out. I roll mine down all the time, especially when I need to take the weekly garage to the dump.

Keef

Premium
United States
Dayton, OH
GTP_KeefRacer
GTP Keef

It hasn't, not on the Tacoma at least. The Tundra had (has?) that option though. There are aftermarket kits that allow you to do it, but they're expensive and don't work well.

The 4Runner does too and I doubt Toyota will drop that feature unless it's for safety or crash test reasons. It's really popular with 4Runner buyers and it's really convenient too, especially when you have a bunch of stuff in the cargo area and you don't want it to fall out. I roll mine down all the time, especially when I need to take the weekly garage to the dump.
You're both right, I was mistaken. But I maintain that the Tacoma is the oddball out of Toyota's lineup in several respects. It never had the roll-down rear window, it has a weird automatic center diff lock when in 4wd...it's weird. Still not a good reason to not expand this feature.

But the 4Runner, Sequoia, and Tundra have all had the window since the 90s and their first generations respectively. The new Tundra still has it but the Sequoia does not which is very annoying. I can only assume the 4Runner won't either which will be extremely disappointing.

I'm wondering if they did it for emissions reasons on the SUV. When driving with that rear window rolled down, the aerodyanmics of the vehicle sucks all the exhaust fumes back inside the cabin.

Last edited: