The General Airplane Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Crash
  • 2,759 comments
  • 233,554 views
I would guess that is from the airshow on July 1/2 at Tinker Air Force Base. Over the weekend and on my way to the north side of OKC, I saw the C-17 and KC-135 on their approach for their Refueling Demo.
This was taken on July 2nd at 11:56 AM so that sounds reasonable. Would explain the pattern of its route on the map.
 
Last edited:
Been pretty much indoors with the repeated heat advisories going on (Can't even take my dog in a leisurely stroll without suddenly breaking into a Sweating and I'm not out of shape) so might be abit before I post plane photos.

I have however caught some interesting screens on the flightradar24 app once again:

Screenshot_20230720_131316_Flightradar24.jpg

Screenshot_20230720_140348_Flightradar24.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_131752_Flightradar24.jpg
 
I finally went on a 787-9 to Perth
IMG_1371.JPG

The A330-200 I flew back on
IMG_1412.JPG

And something quite cursed being from Melbourne: A QANTAS Link A320
IMG_1413.JPG
 
Last edited:
Not a plane picture, but I just had to share this comment

1698774179396.png
 
I went to Melbourne Airport last week and saw this parked up:
637606_1679760884.jpg

The Sultan Of Brunei was in town for the ASEAN Conference and turned up in his 747-8. I also saw an A320 with the Cambodian flag on it, a Philippine Airlines A330-300, a Vietnam Airlines 787-9 and a Thai Airways 787-8, which I assume were chartered for said conference. That wasn't all though.

I saw the following aircraft arrive:
Cathay Pacific Cargo 747-8F
Sri Lankan A330-200
Air New Zealand 777-300

And depart:
Cathay Pacific A350-900
Qatar Airways A350-1000
Jetstar 787-9
Etihad 787-9 in the F1 livery

Along with all the usual domestic stuff. I don't go to the airport often, but when I do, I tend to spot a lot of good stuff.
 
Started walking Tuesday after a long while of cold and wet weather.

Tuesday:
20240312_155053.jpg

20240312_155215.jpg


Wednesday:
20240313_155110.jpg
 
More from the past two weeks since I've resumed my walks:

20240318_153839.jpg

20240318_153855.jpg

20240318_154310.jpg

20240319_154555.jpg

20240319_154607.jpg

20240319_154942.jpg

20240320_152959.jpg

20240320_154713.jpg

20240320_154847.jpg

20240320_155253.jpg

20240325_154627.jpg

20240325_154722.jpg
 
Pretty sure that's the Piaggio from that youtube pilot guy.
 
20240416_153724.jpg

20240416_153726.jpg

20240416_155935.jpg

20240417_152515.jpg

20240417_152653.jpg

20240417_154440.jpg

20240417_154450.jpg

20240417_154547.jpg


As I am currently not walking due to my shoes being more destroyed then my fantasy picks, here are shots from the last few times I have walked.
 
Forgot about these shots I also got from my last walk:

20240423_154457.jpg

20240423_154631.jpg

20240423_155337.jpg


And finally, the shots I got as I went walking my dog:

20240429_124057.jpg

20240430_123909.jpg
 
Last edited:
I had a nice little trip out to Foula, west of the Shetland Islands in an Islander aircraft.

Landing on Foula, with a sheep on the runway 🤣


Take off


Landing back at Sumburgh
 
A couple of weeks ago, I spent a day at the National Museum of the Air Force in Dayton as part of my birthday trip. I will post some photos as soon as I can figure out how to get them compressed enough.
 
Pensacola Beach Blue Angels airshow July 12th. Watched with a couple hundred thousand of my closest friends.

Before the actual show starts, there are several flybys by privately owned historic and specialty aircraft, most of them actually out of Pensacola! A trio of A-6 Texans:

54652080052_d3840a6384_c.jpg


Beechcraft T-34
54653157413_8af10b7dd6_c.jpg


A bunch of Stearmans
54653157408_7d46208886_c.jpg


54653157323_16ed56afcb_c.jpg


54653157318_2ece6df498_c.jpg


Zenith CH750 STOL
54653241410_f7ec5dc527_c.jpg


Icon A5 amphibious
54653152199_71b23435cf_c.jpg


North American Navion, a 4-seat trainer
54653157333_0d6c865e40_c.jpg


The Coast Guard did a rescue demonstration. Here's the helicopter dropping a swimmer into the water, and he pops smoke to mark his position as the helicopter backs off so he can work.
54652921981_38e34f853e_c.jpg

54653152249_30edf4a5e3_c.jpg


Then we had a B-1B make a couple of passes, very loudly!
54653157383_20541841b1_c.jpg

54653152174_64e4185795_c.jpg

54653157293_76551aaa94_c.jpg


That's a bomber, folks, throwing vapor like a fighter!

The official show started with a Bellanca Decathlon, an aerobatic trainer. 150-HP engine, rated for +6/-5 gs.
54652921891_42a7b2f26e_c.jpg


The Titan Aeronautics Texans. This is the same team that until 2023 flew as Aeroshell
54653241375_e7910862c8_c.jpg


54653157283_d04894b2ce_c.jpg


Red Bull was there with Aaron Fitzgerald in the aerobatic helicopter. It's been modified with special rotors to allow loops, rolls, dives, and things helicopters have no business doing. He even takes it over backwards from a hover!
54653152234_d964e4e94a_c.jpg


The Blue Angels C-130, Fat Albert, makes his appearance.
54653152229_f0c4955cbc_c.jpg

54652921876_19e0064951_c.jpg


And of course, the jets!!!
54652079902_c5c97d70e6_c.jpg


I actually forgot to set my faster shutter after shooting the prop planes at 1/250th, but it kinda works here!
54653152149_0e91311c1b_c.jpg


54652079887_bb709923a8_c.jpg


54653241360_3d3e0d189f_c.jpg


For this, the solos come side-by-side from behind the crowd, then actually roll away from each other, 270 degrees, to make this crossing turn.
54652079982_81b63694b1_c.jpg


After the opposing solo passes, they pull pretty hard to exit the show line
54652921946_3baf149f6b_c.jpg


54653241455_505745f6ee_c.jpg


Another opposing pass, this time at 1/2000th. Still has motion blur in the plane I wasn't panning with.
54653241450_8d0363de4f_c.jpg


The fastest and lowest pass of the show, the #5 sneak pass. The announcer is describing what the diamond formation is doing as they exit to the right, and if you don't know this is coming, it's loud and fast, 50 feet and Mach .94.
54653152204_fae68ed179_c.jpg

54653241335_80ae854069_c.jpg


I think he's a bit higher than 50 feet for this show because he has to clear the pier just west of show center.
The guy with the big lens on the pier has a long history of shooting the Blue Angels. He's not actually associated with them officially, but is friendly with the team. He got special permission from them, and from the FAA, to be on the pier for this pass, as it's absolutely closed to the public. His name is JK Adams, and you should find him on Facebook, where he's posted the shots and videos he got out there.
54652079877_cbde764813_c.jpg


After #5, we have #6 from behind the crown, just as fast but at 500 feet, and pulling vertical.
54653241330_9acec7383c_c.jpg


54652081147_1bcf290f7b_c.jpg


It's not just the solos that pull gs!
54653153314_0251bec8bd_c.jpg


The solos in their high-alpha pass
54653158368_4a38aab5f1_c.jpg


54653153304_a6b8a21d21_c.jpg


As their almost-final maneuver, all 6 jets are in a loop, and as they are downward vertical they break to 6 different directions
54653158363_0de258dfa8_c.jpg


Then each does a half-Cuban-8 and they cross at the center from those six different directions.
54652923096_fb680b8a6d_c.jpg
 
Last edited:
Meant to include in my post this shot from one of the pilots that he posted. This is by Sheldon Heatherington, who flew the yellow Zenith CH750 STOL. That parking lot behind the beach was full just after midnight, and those folks slept in their cars or on the beach. Residents all along the beach sold parking in their yards for anywhere from 50 to over 100 dollars, and hotels sold extra spaces in their lots for up to 200 dollars!

The red roof at the right is the Pensacola Beach Hilton, and they sell tickets to a "watch party" for this event, which includes parking in Gulf Breeze, shuttle service from there to the hotel, table seating under tents with a fantastic lunch buffet, free water and soft drinks all day, and access to the hotel's facilities including the pool. That was 200 bucks for the ticket, but with the parking, food and beverages, shade, and not having to drag your own crap to the beach from however far away you ended up parking, it was well worth it. I'm under one of those tents. See? There I am!
54655733355_20e256d8cf_c.jpg
 
Last edited:
I don't know much about planes, and to be honest I have no inclination for or against them, but it's the week of the Farnborough Air Show and since a) I live nearby b) there's a multistory car park a block from my flat that faces the right way and c) I had an unexpected afternoon off I grabbed my camera and had a go. The old D7000 did its best but with only 200mm plus 1.5 crop sensor most were a bit potatoey, but if you like aeroplanes then you're welcome I guess? Full album here featuring what I believe to be an Airbus A350-1000, an Embraer C-390, a Eurofighter Typhoon from the Italian Air Force, and the UAE Fursan Al Emarat display team - check the list of what's flying here. Unfortunately I missed the USAF F-35A display team but hopefully I can catch them later in the week.

_DSC0234 by GTP_Roo, on Flickr

_DSC0102 by GTP_Roo, on Flickr

_DSC0020 by GTP_Roo, on Flickr - Typhmoon

_DSC9740 by GTP_Roo, on Flickr

_DSC9856 by GTP_Roo, on Flickr
 
Last edited:
I drove three hours one way over the weekend just so I could see an F-117 up close:

1785240791596.webp


1785240809181.webp


I've seen the SR-71 trainer they have at Air Zoo before, but it's still cool to see:
1785240896740.webp
 
No pics, but it was genuinely cool to see what the A350-1000ULR pulled off this week. Toulouse to Melbourne to Toulouse, with the outbound leg over Asia and the return a whopping 23000+km and 24hr+ trip over the Pacific and North America on the way back. Apparently it hit a ground speed of over 1200kmh.
 
I visited the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin AFB this morning. They had a lot of planes sitting outside on display, but these are few highlights.
IMG_8239.webp

SR-71A
IMG_8101.webp

AC-130 Gunship, because more guns are always better.
IMG_8114.webp
 
Last edited:
I was lucky enough to be at the Eglin museum on a day the AC-130 was open! I can't find any of my pictures, but the walk-around inside was amazing. Also, among the aircraft outside is the only B-47 I've ever seen in person, which according to Wikipedia's list of surviving B-47s, was built as the reconnaissance RB-47H, sent to the boneyard, then pulled from the boneyard in 1968 for tests of the F-111 radar. For display at Eglin a regular B-47 nose was put in place, which it never actually flew with.
52004077406_82f06db717_c.jpg


If you ever get over to Pensacola, I cannot recommend the Museum of Naval Aviation highly enough! My personal link to the museum is that in the back lot (which you can only visit by their bus tour) sits the only surviving example of the AJ Savage, which was the Navy's first bomber capable of delivering an atomic bomb, and it could do it from a carrier! The aircraft had a radial engine on each wing and a turbojet in the tail which would be used for extra speed to (hopefully) escape the effects of a dropped bomb.

When the Navy replaced them with a new jet bomber (the A3 Skywarrior) they used the Savage as a tanker for aerial refueling, and when that was done, a very few were purchased as firefighting water bombers, but only the one aircraft remains now in all the world:
21396327238_cc82f7e2f9_c.jpg


It's a personal link because my dad was an avionics technician on the Savage in 1952. He's third from the left in the front row of the Kodachrome. (I have to say, color pictures from the day are awesome to have!!!) His squadron (VC-7) flew AJ-1s, the museum's example is an AJ-2.
21389028848_af4101d609_c.jpg


Aside from my personal link with that AJ, the museum houses hundreds of aircraft from WWI to the present, many of which have an example of their engines nearby, and most of those are cutaways. Also, you can touch and rotate many of the engines Watching the valvetrain operate on a WWI 9-cylinder radial is pretty cool!


21593009091_f3a5cc2308_c.jpg


20963037943_ce43a17656_c.jpg


21572867472_d478dec0cf_c.jpg
 
I need to contribute. RAAF base near me are always training. Lots of jets and big cargo planes on my dash cam on my way to work.

I'll have to go in early and just park in the viewing area outside the runway.
 
I was lucky enough to be at the Eglin museum on a day the AC-130 was open! I can't find any of my pictures, but the walk-around inside was amazing. Also, among the aircraft outside is the only B-47 I've ever seen in person, which according to Wikipedia's list of surviving B-47s, was built as the reconnaissance RB-47H, sent to the boneyard, then pulled from the boneyard in 1968 for tests of the F-111 radar. For display at Eglin a regular B-47 nose was put in place, which it never actually flew with.
52004077406_82f06db717_c.jpg


If you ever get over to Pensacola, I cannot recommend the Museum of Naval Aviation highly enough! My personal link to the museum is that in the back lot (which you can only visit by their bus tour) sits the only surviving example of the AJ Savage, which was the Navy's first bomber capable of delivering an atomic bomb, and it could do it from a carrier! The aircraft had a radial engine on each wing and a turbojet in the tail which would be used for extra speed to (hopefully) escape the effects of a dropped bomb.

When the Navy replaced them with a new jet bomber (the A3 Skywarrior) they used the Savage as a tanker for aerial refueling, and when that was done, a very few were purchased as firefighting water bombers, but only the one aircraft remains now in all the world:
21396327238_cc82f7e2f9_c.jpg


It's a personal link because my dad was an avionics technician on the Savage in 1952. He's third from the left in the front row of the Kodachrome. (I have to say, color pictures from the day are awesome to have!!!) His squadron (VC-7) flew AJ-1s, the museum's example is an AJ-2.
21389028848_af4101d609_c.jpg


Aside from my personal link with that AJ, the museum houses hundreds of aircraft from WWI to the present, many of which have an example of their engines nearby, and most of those are cutaways. Also, you can touch and rotate many of the engines Watching the valvetrain operate on a WWI 9-cylinder radial is pretty cool!


21593009091_f3a5cc2308_c.jpg


20963037943_ce43a17656_c.jpg


21572867472_d478dec0cf_c.jpg
That is a great link to have! I actually stopped by NAS Pensacola the last time I drove to Florida in May. It is a nice spot, but I didn’t get a bus tour. Also on that May trip, I stopped at the USS Alabama and looked around. Lots of great views and walking around inside the Alabama was a great privilege.
IMG_7513.webp

IMG_7556.webp

IMG_7641.webp

IMG_7575.webp

IMG_7657.webp
 
P-51s are without a doubt my favorite prop planes. Beautiful design in general, and such a massive engine sound.
 
Back