The General Electric vehicle Thread

• Thread starter Brutaka
  • 36 comments
United States
Chicago
Brutaka_GT
This is a discussion thread for any and all Electric vehicles, concept or production, that people want to inform others on. With the incoming Electric Vehicle uprising, I felt it fitting to create this thread.

There will be no unreasonably biased posts that attacks electric or gasoline-powered vehicles, please keep all discussions fair.

Starting the thread off I'll introduce two Electric supercar Concepts:

Technicar Lavinia

Rimac Concept_One

EDIT: And no, General Electric is not building a car....

Last edited:
I recently took a ride in a friend's Chevy Spark EV. I welcome the new electric cars, they are quick and quiet. Great for a daily commuter to work and back. Too bad you cant fully defeat the Traction Control.

There is one major problem in electric cars, range. If you happen to drive only short trips an electric car is probably better one, but if you want to go any further you have to wait 8 hours just to be able to continue to next charging point

There is one major problem in electric cars, range. If you happen to drive only short trips an electric car is probably better one, but if you want to go any further you have to wait 8 hours just to be able to continue to next charging point

Unless you have a Tesla and hook into one of the super-charging stations...

How about those who want an electric car but don't have a designated parking space (drive way) in front of their house? How are they going to charge their car at night?

I already can tell you that practically no one in my neighbourhood has a parking spot for themselves.

General Electric's making a car, bwaaaa??

I kid, I kid. :P

Electric vehicles have a number of hurdles they still need to clear, such as a charging station infrastructure as common and widespread as gas stations are. And IMHO battery tech needs to get better for them to be truly viable... more juice, shorter charging times, safer, longer lifespan, etc.

But... I think we'll get there, sooner or later.

Now if only we could get a revolution in solar panel technology to allow for these cars to charge themselves at a reasonably fast rate, so that they wouldn't even need to be plugged in. I'm not expecting these solar panels to be able to supply enough juice to where the battery only serves as a backup in case of low sunlight conditions (though that would be pretty awesome), but enough to noticably extend the driving range and to allow for moderate recharging when left parked for a couple hours.

Some chinese dudes claim to be able to charge a car in "minutes" with some new battery tech they invented. They say it will be commercially available as early as 2016. There was something said about charging times being comparable to the time you need to fill your fossil car tank. That sounds like it would consume extreme amounts of electric power in a short time, though, so charging stations might need to get some serious electrical infrastructure upgrades as well. Even if it isn't as fast as refueling a regular car, even 10 minutes from 10% to 95% is fast enough for me to use such a car over long distances.

Other things that already are invented but still need some time before they can be made commericially available, are batteries with 4x the capacity of what we have today. The tesla model S has an advertised range of... about 400 km? four times that is like 1600 km. That's a lot.

The only way for electric cars to become mainstream is when they find a way to make charging faster and make the range of a single charge to be longer.

The day that happens will be the day conventional gasoline dies out.

The only way for electric cars to become mainstream is when they find a way to make charging faster and make the range of a single charge to be longer.

And where does all this electricity come from to charge these hundreds of millions of electric cars?

Suddenly you need 10 or 100 fold more power stations.

What are they going to burn? Pixie dust?

Electricity is just about the poorest portable energy source.

And what about the tens of millions more miles of electric wiring infrastructure needed to carry all this new electricity?

How does more above ground and under ground cable, more and larger power stations dotting the landscape end up being better than simple fossil fueled internal combustion engines?

Even trains find it better to take their power generators with them.

Well, if we start creating more efficient ways to capture power with wind farms, solar panels, etc. I could definitely see electricity as a viable fuel source in a couple decades.

Well, if we start creating more efficient ways to capture power with wind farms, solar panels, etc. I could definitely see electricity as a viable fuel source in a couple decades.

Wind farms? Solar farms?

So now we are devoting tens of thousands of acres of land and vertical real estate to windmills and giant mirrors. Why? The extreme toll paid by birds and other bits of nature as these hugely devastating structures begin to crop up is to what advantage again?

I am still waiting to hear a compelling argument against fossil fuels and the internal combustion engine as the ideal portable energy store and vehicle power system.

Where is electric power on this massive scale better?

Energy must still come from somewhere and be converted into rotary motion of some how.

Why is fossil fuels and the IC a bad idea? Just wondering?

Why is fossil fuels and the IC a bad idea? Just wondering?

It's not, it's just becoming increasing more costly to be viable. We probably won't ever run out of oil, but it will get to the point where it no longer makes any economic sense to use it since it will cost an absurd amount per barrel. I'm already not that keen on paying $4+ a gallon for fuel and it's only going to be an upward trend from there.

Electric cars make more sense from a long term, economically viable solution. Switching to a more environmentally friendly and renewable source of electricity will benefit more than just the cars on the road, it will benefit everyone. A combination of nuclear, wind, solar, tidal, geothermic, and even to some extent clean coal will be way more efficient than drilling for oil, then refining it, shipping it across the globe, and then trucking it to your local filling station. There is also the environmental benefit to using electric cars too, whether you think the automobile contributes to global warming or not, there's no debating when it comes to say the automobile adds to pollution in major cities. Take away the emissions, use clean power, and suddenly you are making the air a little easier to breathe.

Yeah basically what @Joey D said, we cannot continue to use IC engines forever, we have to advance eventually and if something new doesn't take the spotlight away from IC then we will never progress. Electric motors may still use fossil fuels but eventually we will either find a way for it to use very minimal or find a source to get renewable energy to create electricity that can become mainstream.

It's not, it's just becoming increasing more costly to be viable. We probably won't ever run out of oil, but it will get to the point where it no longer makes any economic sense to use it since it will cost an absurd amount per barrel. I'm already not that keen on paying $4+ a gallon for fuel and it's only going to be an upward trend from there.

Electric cars make more sense from a long term, economically viable solution. Switching to a more environmentally friendly and renewable source of electricity will benefit more than just the cars on the road, it will benefit everyone. A combination of nuclear, wind, solar, tidal, geothermic, and even to some extent clean coal will be way more efficient than drilling for oil, then refining it, shipping it across the globe, and then trucking it to your local filling station. There is also the environmental benefit to using electric cars too, whether you think the automobile contributes to global warming or not, there's no debating when it comes to say the automobile adds to pollution in major cities. Take away the emissions, use clean power, and suddenly you are making the air a little easier to breathe.

Wow - seldom have I seen such a pipe dream post.

1st off oil prices are falling and will never naturally go sky high - in every country where fossil fuels are expensive, they are artfully driven up by taxes and market manipulations.

You pat $4 a gallon due to taxes and surcharges, not due to oil price increases.

You dismiss the need for a newer heavier power distribution system - millions if miles of new under and above ground cable needed. Talk about abusing the environment.

Not to mention global warming itself is a crock. Man does not influence the temp of the earth more than the sun does - to think so is ignorant at the highest level.

You know the sun right? That thermo nuclear ball in the sky.

BTW, do you think this electricity you will be using will suddenly get cheaper?

LOLOLO BWHAHAHAHAHAHA.

What makes you think your combine energy cost for your electric go-kart will be less than what you are paying for fossil fuels?

Still waiting for cogent argument against fossil fuels and the IC as the ideal portable fuel and power source.

Yeah basically what @Joey D said, we cannot continue to use IC engines forever, we have to advance eventually and if something new doesn't take the spotlight away from IC then we will never progress. Electric motors may still use fossil fuels but eventually we will either find a way for it to use very minimal or find a source to get renewable energy to create electricity that can become mainstream.
So you just want change for changes sake - not because fossil fueled IC engines are in some way bad or undesirable.
Renewable energy? LOL - so you are another pixie dust pie in the sky dreamer. LOL
And who says this renewable pixie dust will be cheaper and taxed less than fossil fuels?

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

So the innate increases in power efficiency electric motors have over internal combustion engines and dramatic decrease in pollution compared to fossil fuel-based energy is completely offset because birds occasionally fly into windmills?

Though I could have sworn you were done with GTP anyway.

1st off oil prices are falling and will never naturally go sky high - in every country where fossil fuels are expensive, they are artfully driven up by taxes and market manipulations.

While oil prices might currently be falling, they are still on an upward trend.

Here's a link to a graph of oil prices over the past 10 years, which clear show an upward trend courtesy of the NASDAQ. I'm not saying oil prices will be $100 this year and $300 a barrel next year, I'm saying they will continue to go up and eventually be at the point where it isn't economically viable to use.

You pat $4 a gallon due to taxes and surcharges, not due to oil price increases.

No Europe pays $9 a gallon due to taxes and surcharges, fuel tax in the US isn't that high compared to the rest of the Western world. Fuel prices are still significantly higher than they were 10 years ago and it's because of the cost per barrel of oil, not because of a increase in taxes. During this time shipping, air travel, and anything that depends on fuel has gotten more expensive to offset the cost of the increase in oil prices.

You dismiss the need for a newer heavier power distribution system - millions if miles of new under and above ground cable needed. Talk about abusing the environment.

You wouldn't need a new power distribution system, I'm not sure how that's even part of your argument. The US, as most of the Western world, is wired up for electricity no matter where you are. If the wires above your head can carry enough power to power a city, town, village, etc. it can more than likely charge your electric vehicle using a 110v charging unit. To be honest your air condition probably would require more power to run on a summer's day than it would to charge your electric car at night while you're sleeping.

Not to mention global warming itself is a crock. Man does not influence the temp of the earth more than the sun does - to think so is ignorant at the highest level.

As I pointed out, I'm not saying the automobile is contributing to global warming, I'm saying it's contributing to pollution in major cities. All one needs to do is look at picture of any city in China or even LA to see that it's true. Global warming is obviously a debate left for another thread, but there's no debate that the automobile and ICE's contribute to pollution.

You know the sun right? That thermo nuclear ball in the sky.

Yes, I'm aware of it, although since it's almost winter in Michigan we don't get to see it all that often.

BTW, do you think this electricity you will be using will suddenly get cheaper?

LOLOLO BWHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Not sure where I said that, but no I don't expect electricity to get cheaper, however I do expect it to become a more economically viable option than pumping fossil fuel in anything that requires movement under it's own power.

What makes you think your combine energy cost for your electric go-kart will be less than what you are paying for fossil fuels?

Facts and figures? Take the Tesla Model S for example, it's estimated that it takes about $8.00 worth of electricity to go about 200 miles, even if that's a conservative estimate and it take $12-$15 to go that far it's still cheaper than a 40mpg car that burns 5 gallons of gas at $4.00 to go the same distance.

I would love a LEAF for the driving that I do now but there are times when I have to go much further, in a few years the technology should be advanced enough that you could take a small electric car 500km and then charge it up near max capacity in less than 20 minutes.

It would be nice having a car that s so cheap to run, plus no engine noise or vibrations. Ten years from now there's going to be some really cool stuff on the market.

I am incredibly surprised that none of you have said this yet: Hydrogen Fuel Cell. Honda figured this whole problem out years ago with the Clarity. If we need to switch power sources, hydrogen is the way to go because a fuel cell is much lighter than a car sized battery pack, produces no pollution (electric cars produce alot of pollution second hand) and there is no need for hours to be spent charging because the hydrogen can be compressed into a liquid and distributed through a gas pump.

As James May said: The reason it is the car of the future is because it is just like the car of today.

I am incredibly surprised that none of you have said this yet: Hydrogen Fuel Cell. Honda figured this whole problem out years ago with the Clarity. If we need to switch power sources, hydrogen is the way to go because a fuel cell is much lighter than a car sized battery pack, produces no pollution (electric cars produce alot of pollution second hand) and there is no need for hours to be spent charging because the hydrogen can be compressed into a liquid and distributed through a gas pump.

As James May said: The reason it is the car of the future is because it is just like the car of today.
This is what I have been thinking for 4 years. Electric car as it's now won't be the car of the future, but fuel-cell one will.

No it's not. At least not yet.

The thing about Top Gear is that they're not 100% honest.

Hydrogen fuel costs significantly more power to produce than it puts out in a car. You don't just find hydrogen buried in the earth and you can't harvest it from the wind and sun, it has to be chemically extracted from water and this takes a lot of effort. The Honda car was proof of concept and nothing more.

Research is being done to make this process more efficient, but as it stands, hydrogen is completely unviable for the future.

What we do know is that oil is on it's way out, and this is a good thing for petrol heads. It'll stop Cassie-Commuter from burning up our limited supply of previous oil.

My guess is that the future holds a patchwork of alternative energy. Electric, hydrogen, and possibly others. Maybe I'll get that nuclear car I've always wanted.

The advantage of electricity is that it can be made in a variety of ways that don't doom the planet wind, solar, and nuclear. It's definitely the big one for near future use.

Last edited:
produces no pollution (electric cars produce alot of pollution second hand)

You do realize a fuel cell car is still an electric car, right? And you do realize it requires electricity to reduce water down to oxygen and hydrogen? And then more energy to pressurize it down to a liquid state?

Guess where that energy comes from? Same place a battery based electric car would.

What, we can't start improving range and charging times now?

Occasionally, I do see some electric cars in my area. Nissan Leaves seem to be quite common, and occasionally I see a Model S. I've also seen a BMW i3. But only one. And I haven't seen an i8 yet.

Back