The GT6 Photomode Discussion Thread (first thoughts)

• Thread starter leeislee
  • 19 comments
England
Liverpool
leeislee
Having just got the GT6 today, i couldn't resist making a coffee, sliding in the disc and settling down for some awesome GT action...

After a quick blast through a few races, a look at the few photomode locations i had unlocked i must say...i haven't been too impressed.

I was expecting a decent upgrade to GT5, maybe not a massive change but a tweek here and there.

My first gripe about the game is the laziness of PD. Of all the re-used tracks on offer they are pretty much, identicle to GT5 in terms of the lighting, scenery, props, people etc etc. for me, that's just a bit of aninsult for all of us spending a decent amount of money on a gamne that just seems to have copy and pasted most of it's features over from GT5.

Not only am i sad to see the same old PS2 looking cars in the game (albeit with a few added polygons) i was also bitterly disappointed with the new photomode locations, well, the spanish, modern architecture one is pretty cool but the others, again look lazy and rushed.

Pixelated scenery, dodgy shadows, poor lighting and as usual, a very restrained camera in terms of movement.

I know it's early days for GT6 but i really do hope for a vast improvement in terms of the photo capabilities for all us photomode freaks.

As of now...i have a slight pining for GT5!

So, thaty's my humble and probably wrong opinion, but what do you lot think? Do you think the future of the photomode and the photomode forums will continue to get stronger and stronger, or do you think you'll find yourself going back to GT5?

Also, the title of this thread will change over time as more topics and questions pop up and we find our little photomode haven has a lot more to discuss.

So mods, please don't move this thread to another forum as it is specifically tailored to the photomode forum....thanks.

Lee

That is certainly distressing news, my GT6 comes in a couple of days. I also play Forza5, and can attest to the fact that there seems to be enough disappointment to go around on both sides.

One thing PD did better is x2 photo size. So much faster to process. Now it takes seconds and not minutes like GT5.
That's a reason to keep shooting in GT6 photo mode.
That is definitely good to hear. I never took 2x shots cause they took so long in gt5.

@leeislee Totally agree mate but i think we all have expected something like that , all the previews of the game were a sign of rushed work and copy paste but hey if a ship is sinking you have to jump to the next one i guess .

I think we all just can hope for some nice DLC´s and updates and make the best of this situation .

cheers

Very true mate, i don't mind that they've reused a lot of GT5 but it would have been nice to see a hell of a lot more new stuff.

As for the old 2x issue it was always pretty fast on my GT5 but the 2x on 6 is a lot faster so it's all good.

I agree with you in general, Lee (get it? ;) ). I too am disappointed with the Photomode updates, or lack there of. On the other hand, there's two things to keep in mind with that; one, GT5 was already well above the competition for the thoroughness of its Photomode; and two, Kaz has promised a massive update for January, which I imagine will have the GT5 locations added back in. I feel like it's the least they can do; after all, as you've said, they've copy/pasted so much already.

But I'm hoping for some interesting DLC over the next few months, because there's only so many new cars/locations I want to shoot. I've already grabbed most of the road cars I'm interested in personalizing - another aspect where GT still lags behind the competition, which also makes it harder for me to get really and truly inspired to shoot. But for now, the shiny newness still exists...

I've held off buying GT6, because I had a feeling this might be the case. Pretty sad that they sell the game for $60 US and then expect us to fork over significantly more money to buy DLC that should have been included in the initial offering. I'll wait for the updates and the GT6 that will inevitably come out later with everything included. Sad really.

Things I love:
- x2 pictures are now definitely worth doing... far quicker to process.
- AE Lock works... well at least I can make it work. Never got the hang of it in GT5.
- New lighting model = x3 better looking photos. 'Natural' lens flare possible too.
- New photostages are sweet enough.
- Two cars on photostages. Quick and easy to choose and load too.

Gripes:
- More photostage locations PD! (I'm thinking a Goodwood one would be pretty apt.)
- (Half a gripe) I was hoping for a panoramic lens, but I shouldn't care too much yet. Something for GT7 PS4??

So for me at the moment, far more pros than cons.

Last edited:
I can't find an explanation for the impossibitily to take interior shots!

And yes, I agreed with you Lee. This photomode looks rushed somehow.

I'm pretty much happy with it (for now)....the new track locations which are still to be fully explored for me make up for the lack of P/Travel locales. I don't think a copy/paste update of the old places is enough to keep me occupied after say 6 months of having the game......I'd be happy with a 'white/black' studio setting or an old warehouse.

+'s
- Agree with others that the 2x process is a big thumbs up from me......found that the 'track' shots were quicker than the Photo-Travel, but not much in it.
- Day/Night change lighting seems to be improved, esp on my old fave SSRX
- Jaggies........a thing of the past? non existent from what I could tell but other than a few burnouts I'm yet to shoot anything in the wet.

-'s
- Menu layout "in-camera" is overlayed. I find it impedes the view esp when trying to frame which leads onto my next point.
- Final shot shows more than the preview window gives. ....also that frame shift when you open the sub-menu is a little annoying.
- Headlights and Sunlight ..... radiated light is a weird square/polygon shape in some circumstances.
- Just wish panning mode 3 was mode 1 or the default. .....and 16:9 too.
- Fix that horrible clipped wav sound file...the one that takes you back to preview after each shot.

Little things really but I haven't spent long enough on it to give a full analysis and I love taking shots too much to let minor gripes get in the way of my enjoyment.

Well said fellas. I agree with all your points.

That square light thing is very annoying but nowhere near as annoying as the star flare headlights and the terrible white blotch of a sun. It just looks like a massive over exposed circle.

I also don't think the photomode in GT6 will hold my attention for long as the grinding to get cars worth shooting is something i'm not interested in.

But i agree, there are plenty of pros and cons so as of now, im 50/50 on it.

Just went through some galleries and Flickr page ,.. so many people already having the most expensive cars .

I see grinding for cars maybe not the best choice but it´s better as buying credits ...

I hope the next few DLC`s will change my opinion about gt6 , somehow i regret buying it .

Not everyone has the will or time to grind, i'm just going to plod along picking up cars as i go...i'll never have a full car list like i had in GT5.

It's sad really, you pay a lot for the game and can't afford the cars in the game!

I sort of agree about the photomode locations. Bits of it looked rushed and badly done. Like they were placeholders, there are little gardens in Ronda which are sort of just 2D. I noticed it in earlier photo's.

However, I think that might be relating to the whole track maker Ronda thing that's meant to be coming later on, the one where you base tracks on Ronda's real streets. Which would make sense, because it would absolutely murder the framerate if it were in full photomode location detail.

I agree with all the comments made so far. It's a bit hit and miss the new system. It still feels like there's too much restriction and ultimately they haven't touched the photo system much.

There definitely is some annoying things with how it works now, in particular I hate the preview of the shot not being a true representation of the final framing/cropping. So having to guess what zoom level to get the right framing is so frustrating and a major step backwards.

I was really hoping we'd be able to move the focus point around so you wouldn't have to pan to refocus then pan back, but alas no. :grumpy:

Even though little has been done to the feature set I feel like the rendering of the filters is more acurate now, particularly with the extreme monochrome and warm/cold filters. Not that I use those much anyway.

Welcome improvements as people have mentioned is the faster x2 proccessing, yay. Much better and it's saving me time, but also encouraging me to take even more shots now. :lol:

It is a little disheartning at the moment to have to grind for cash as some really nice cars are just mucho expensive. But the last 2 seasonals had good payouts so hopefully that trend will continue.

At any rate, it's not about what cars you have but how good your shots are that matter to me.

Graphically there's many notable improvements with the games lighting and textures. Metallics and car glosses seem much more realistic to me and this is great. Plus with the new tracks looking great, stuff is coming out pretty darn good uneditied.

As already mentioned Phototravel is pretty disappointing so far. I have no idea why the old locales are not there. And most of the new ones do seem either rushed or not given enough attention. Texture detail/clarity is pretty rotten and the geomerty is pretty half-arsed too. Plus the typical very limited range of movement and roaming really leaves me uninspired with it so far. But the Art & Sciences location is the best of the bunch I think and it is decent enough. Still I feel there could have easily been as CCShaft states a studio room or garage type setting. Simple to do really in size scope and I would have liked something of that sort.

So overall, some steps forward a few backwards which is rather sad. :( But even still, with the new content and improved visuals in many areas I'm still enjoying it and will likely do so for quite a while.

Lots of room for improvement though and I'm hoping the whole photo aspect will receive a bit more attention for GT7.

Last edited:
Back