The GT7 Livery Editor Competition #07 (Colour Crimes) - CLOSED

• Thread starter Nuschel01
  • 174 comments
This recolor took a ridiculous amount of time due to the amount of masking done for the stripes. So many curved strip decals!

Anyway, here we have the 2000 team Kunimitsu Raybrig NSX. I swapped the silver for a darker gunmetal and the blue changed to yellow. I did a take with the black decals changed to white, but it ended up looking too busy. So I left them black for a stealth look.

Please feel free to enjoy this monstrosity here.

Last edited:
This livery has a long history and has had multiple versions. Originally created in GT Sport, for a E30 racing competition, broadcasted by Half The Race Gone (link below). This competition was epic, a lot of close racing, and a few days after each race, we got a replay with commentary from HTRG. Lots of good memories from this competition. I created an orange version for the last race but I didn't use it eventually (can't remember why).

Time passes by, GT7 gets invented and a few weeks ago, I saw that Allalonatron (my main rival) in the series, commented on an other E30 I shared. He asked when I was gonna convert the Tictac livery in GT7. At the same time, this LEC got started, so I figured out that this livery, that brought me so much fun, deserved to be dusted off. The orange version from GTS was lost, so I started converting (waay too much) green decals to orange. The base paint is silver (gold on the green version) so a lot of decals were needed to get around the tictac logos. Added the window stickers and fixed some minor mistakes.

Shoutout to HTRG and Allalonatron!

Video of my best race in the competition :

Is there a reason why your photos are in 4:3, @RealJaySee? :D
Damn, you finally noticed... :D I don't know, I take a screenshot, send it to myself via PS Messages, send it to myself via Gmail, Upload it on the forum. That seems like the easiest way, but it gives you the black border. Should I figure out how to get rid of it ?

For my entry I decided to take the iconic Rothmans-liveried Porsche 962-004, specifically a replica of the car driven by Jacky Ickx and Jochen Mass in the 1985 Spa 1000km race - in which they qualified 6th but ended with a DNF. I made numerous colour combinations for this one and went around in circles until I settled on this version, built on a W2 Half Matte base, black and grey livery with green/white stripes and detail. The biggest crime here is robbing the vibrant original livery of it's colours and replacing them with a black/grey/white combo and green stripe details. The trickiest part of this livery was making a combo that worked on the Rothmans logo - big shout out to @krisduv for making the multi-part logo decals for me, without them this project would have never worked the way I wanted!

EDIT* After much deliberation and many iterations of colour combinations, I opted to change the monochrome style and replace it with something bright and 80's inspired. Barbie Pink and Baby Blue replace the old white and blue of the original, bright yellow pops against them, and a PWK colourshift base provides drama within the negative space of the logo and the body stripes. I also replaced the wheels with the car's originals, as these are more race-true than the BBS LM which replaced them later in life.

Last edited:
Since I keep Featuring these threads, I figured I should take part in one... :D

Just so nobody else spends time on the same base design and feels like they don't want to duplicate, I'll post a little monochrome preview of what - as anybody looking at the SVG request thread will have guessed - I've been working on. I'll amend this post when I've got the final few logos in place:

1660735167616.png
Thanks to @krisduv @Nuschel01 and @Seebsma for the logos already in place, and my profound apologies for anyone whose eyes are assaulted by the final product. It is vile.

Last edited by a moderator:
For this theme I obviously wanted to work on a car known for its design as much as its colour.

I looked at my garage to find the one and the 155 2.5 V6 TI appeared to me!
I already made something suiting the theme a few weeks ago by simply recreating the original livery but applying an Alfa Romeo Etna Black paint and a Giallo with black decals on another one.

For this LEC I decided to go a little bit further.
I've tried different things and finally came up with a two tones livery.

This asked for some work to keep the sides black decals visible on the black part of the car.
I managed to find a tint of yellow which matches the Giallo Prototipo and I have to admit I'm pretty happy with the final result.

Hope you'll like it too, have fun guys ✌️😎

Last edited:
Famine understood the task at hand…
I'm working on my replica which I than will turn into a Colour Crime, but still not sure if we're supposed to make an alternative color combo or a really ugly combination.
Or in other word: what are we supposed to vote? Nice liveries or colour crimes?

My take on it was that both were in the spirit. I made mine clash to where it was obnoxious but not ugly. Feedback though from showcase is that the colors are great. Hence my joke that @Famine understood the assignment, as his is a great livery in some truly unfortunate colors. I do not foresee him getting “great colors” comments, but I suspect he will get plenty of votes here.

Last edited:
I'm working on my replica which I than will turn into a Colour Crime, but still not sure if we're supposed to make an alternative color combo or a really ugly combination.
My understanding of the brief is that iconic colours shouldnt be changed, that is the crime.
Personal preference as to whether its a nice colour combo, or a gross colour combo. I went for a colour theme based on some local recent events.
It'll be the voters who decide which way is the correct way to go.

This is also where I struggled to make up my mind, eventually settling on a colour scheme which could have been chosen by Rothmans when they were choosing their branding (as is mentioned early in the theme description) if they had chosen someone who didn't fully understand colour and pop. So mine ended up a more monochrome, stealthy style. I'm still working on alternative combinations, for a different approach, as I don't know if mine fulfils the brief from a voters point of view...

question: i went from having no idea what to do for this competition to ending up with 9 different colors combinations I could enter.
Is it allowed for me to create a poll thread and let the forum members here decide which color combo I will enter for this competition?

You are free to do whatever outside of this thread :lol:
You could also just put all 9 colour combos in the bonus shots ;)

Finally made my choice as to which colour out of 9 created I was going to use for this contest.
I'm going for one that isn't so much BAM in your face, but one that in my opinion can really work in real life.

Think we all know the blue and red Renault 5 Maxi Turbo from Jean Ragnotti from the great Group B era in rallying. Very much an iconic livery on the R5. As you can see in the bonus pic, i've really played around with different colours which all still look great, it's a simple livery design that allows for multiple takes on it and when you don't use colours that totally do not match, then it all comes out great.

Fingers crossed for some votes this time.

Finally made my choice as to which colour out of 9 created I was going to use for this contest.
I'm going for one that isn't so much BAM in your face, but one that in my opinion can really work in real life.

Think we all know the blue and red Renault 5 Maxi Turbo from Jean Ragnotti from the great Group B era in rallying. Very much an iconic livery on the R5. As you can see in the bonus pic, i've really played around with different colours which all still look great, it's a simple livery design that allows for multiple takes on it and when you don't use colours that totally do not match, then it all comes out great.

Fingers crossed for some votes this time.
How have you made that multi car pic

How have you made that multi car pic

I only have 1 Renault R5 but you can take a picture and save it, then go out and change the livery.
Get back to scapes, open that last image and when you select 'add extra vehicle' you can put that same car with the different livery in the same image.
Repeat 1 more time to get 3 cars in the same image.

And then you align the second row and so on the same way, take all your pictures to photoshop and lay them over each other.
Then it's just a matter of painting all cars onto 1 layer by using masks in PS.

Back