The GTP Unofficial 2020 US Elections Thread

GTPlanet Exit Poll - Which Presidential Ticket Did You Vote For?

• Trump/Pence

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Biden/Harris

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Jorgensen/Cohen

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Hawkins/Walker

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • La Riva/Freeman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • De La Fuente/Richardson

• Blankenship/Mohr

• Carroll/Patel

• Simmons/Roze

• Charles/Wallace

• Other

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Michigan had the right idea to send ballots to every registered voter (why all states don't do this, I don't know).
Really? So someone can get my ballot vote how they want and mail it in as if they were me?
I've moved since the 2018 mid term election.
I can't change my address on my license cause I don't have 2 bills in my name. I can't even register my car to the new address much less change my voter registration... Guess where everything is going to be mailed to? And I tried the post office change of address but I can't cause the address doesn't match my cards billing address(guess where that goes)...
Situations like this make me hate the system!

Last edited:
Really? So someone can get my ballot vote how they want and mail it in as if they were me?
I've moved since the 2018 mid term election.
I can't change my address on my license cause I don't have 2 bills in my name. I can't even register my car to the new address much less change my voter registration... Guess where everything is going to be mailed to? And I tried the post office change of address but I can't cause the address doesn't match my cards billing address(guess where that goes)...
Situations like this make me hate the system!

Everyone in Utah gets a ballot by mail before the election, you can either mail it back in or drop it off and one of several locations around the valley. It works really well and makes voting a breeze. It also allows people like my wife who often works 10-11 hour shifts to be able to vote since she wouldn't have time any other way.

As for where they send the ballot, it goes to whatever address you're registered with and typically comes a few weeks before the election.

Voter fraud is pretty much non-existent too. I'm sure there are some people who game the system, but it's not enough to cause any questionable results. You do have to sign and add some identifying information on the ballot though. I can't remember what it is though since I don't really vote in state elections (it's going to be the Mormon Republican who wins) and I can't vote in primaries since I'm a registered Libertarian.

I'm not sure what else you could really do to simplify the voting process. Online voting wouldn't work because any government is incapable of developing a secure enough platform. Voting in person works, but it's going to be a cluster this time around since physical distancing guidelines will still be in place. Some areas allow voting over the course of a week or two, and that also works, but it's going to be hard to put enough polling sites in place. Also, you'll still be dealing with the distancing requirements.

Everyone in Utah gets a ballot by mail before the election, you can either mail it back in or drop it off and one of several locations around the valley. It works really well and makes voting a breeze. It also allows people like my wife who often works 10-11 hour shifts to be able to vote since she wouldn't have time any other way.

As for where they send the ballot, it goes to whatever address you're registered with and typically comes a few weeks before the election.

Voter fraud is pretty much non-existent too. I'm sure there are some people who game the system, but it's not enough to cause any questionable results. You do have to sign and add some identifying information on the ballot though. I can't remember what it is though since I don't really vote in state elections (it's going to be the Mormon Republican who wins) and I can't vote in primaries since I'm a registered Libertarian.

I'm not sure what else you could really do to simplify the voting process. Online voting wouldn't work because any government is incapable of developing a secure enough platform. Voting in person works, but it's going to be a cluster this time around since physical distancing guidelines will still be in place. Some areas allow voting over the course of a week or two, and that also works, but it's going to be hard to put enough polling sites in place. Also, you'll still be dealing with the distancing requirements.

For a few years now, California has been doing mailin ballot, and it works really well.

I can't see voting any other way.

The convenience cannot be beat.

Trump loses with postal voting a factor - "See, the system is rigged and this entire election was fraudulent."
Trump wins with postal voting a factor - "We provided all opportunities for the electorate to vote and they responded with their faith in me."

It's lose/lose, in a way. Postal voting is fraudulent except when he does it.

I don't know how they'll know it's not me voting, considering I can't change anything and they won't let me change anything, I'm pretty sure they'd take "my" ballot and accept it...

I don't know how they'll know it's not me voting, considering I can't change anything and they won't let me change anything, I'm pretty sure they'd take "my" ballot and accept it...

So I looked up how Utah does it. Apparently, we are only one of five states that do this and the only Republican state to do it. Essentially what they do, through a complicated algorithm I assume, is match your voter's registration signature up to your ballot, which you have to sign. There's also a tracking system on every ballot that works more or less like the tracking number you get through UPS or FedEx. This pinpoints where the ballot is. According to the state, we've never had voter fraud because of it.

Although, now the GOP is fighting tooth and nail to get Utah to revoke this system, even though Utah will always be a shoo-in for a Republican. Like there's no need to even campaign here.

No. Mail-in voting works quite well and is super easy. We've had it in Colorado for years and I'd never go back.

Some time ago I made the case that all states should go to mail-in voting to avoid a terrorist/mass-shooting/truck attack on lines at the polls. The idea being that a large line of people standing to vote in the "wrong" district is a target for people who want to stop a few hundred votes. Do it at strategic polling places all over the state and you'd have mass chaos and a partisan result.

Since then, the case for mail-in has only gotten stronger. I find it unbelievably reprehensible and, dare I say, corrupt, that the republican party is trying to stop mail-in voting. What they're basically saying is that, in the middle of a pandemic, they would rather spread the disease and end up with more dead, than allow certain demographics to be better represented and improve convenience to everyone.

As @Joey D mentioned for Utah, in Colorado in order to steal someone's vote you'd have to get their ballot out of their mailbox and have their signature. And then you'd still have a problem when they reported the lack of ballot (thus invalidating the fraudulent one). Honestly it's far easier to steal a vote in a state that doesn't have a mail-in ballot.

You don't have to "mail" in your mail-in ballot either. In fact, I never do, since that would send it through the hands of many postal workers. I take my ballot and put it into one of many conveniently located ballot lockboxes that get emptied every day by election officials. The lockboxes are put up weeks before the election and available throughout.

Honestly the biggest problem with mail-in voting is that people do it too early, and then some new piece of news comes out and they wish they could change their vote.

Edit:

Apparently I have more to say on this subject. The other thing about mail-in voting that is amazing and fantastic is that you can research the issues right there with your ballot in hand at your computer. Need to know more about some obscure state proposition you didn't realize was on the ballot? Well you don't have to wing it in the voting booth. You can look it up right at your desk. I think it necessarily leads to better informed voting.

Last edited:
No. Mail-in voting works quite well and is super easy. We've had it in Colorado for years and I'd never go back.

Some time ago I made the case that all states should go to mail-in voting to avoid a terrorist/mass-shooting/truck attack on lines at the polls. The idea being that a large line of people standing to vote in the "wrong" district is a target for people who want to stop a few hundred votes. Do it at strategic polling places all over the state and you'd have mass chaos and a partisan result.

Since then, the case for mail-in has only gotten stronger. I find it unbelievably reprehensible and, dare I say, corrupt, that the republican party is trying to stop mail-in voting. What they're basically saying is that, in the middle of a pandemic, they would rather spread the disease and end up with more dead, than allow certain demographics to be better represented and improve convenience to everyone.

As @Joey D mentioned for Utah, in Colorado in order to steal someone's vote you'd have to get their ballot out of their mailbox and have their signature. And then you'd still have a problem when they reported the lack of ballot (thus invalidating the fraudulent one). Honestly it's far easier to steal a vote in a state that doesn't have a mail-in ballot.

You don't have to "mail" in your mail-in ballot either. In fact, I never do, since that would send it through the hands of many postal workers. I take my ballot and put it into one of many conveniently located ballot lockboxes that get emptied every day by election officials. The lockboxes are put up weeks before the election and available throughout.

Honestly the biggest problem with mail-in voting is that people do it too early, and then some new piece of news comes out and they wish they could change their vote.

Edit:

Apparently I have more to say on this subject. The other thing about mail-in voting that is amazing and fantastic is that you can research the issues right there with your ballot in hand at your computer. Need to know more about some obscure state proposition you didn't realize was on the ballot? Well you don't have to wing it in the voting booth. You can look it up right at your desk. I think it necessarily leads to better informed voting.

Exactly!

On all accounts, I fully agree with you.
That's exactly how I do it...

The term Mail-in Ballot is a misnomer to everyone including myself.

The ballot is Mailed in to you, but you do NOT and are NOT obligated to return it by mail, because you have the choice and can submit your vote however And Whenever you want or feel comfortable to do so:
1) early on by returning by mail
2) going to the booth and submit it directly to the box
3) drop it anytime anywhere at one of the secured and designated containers.

This is The most convenient and safest way to vote!

I too wait until the day of to submit my ballot directly to a box or a voting booth if it is not crazy crowded.

Exactly!

On all accounts, I fully agree with you.
That's exactly how I do it...

The term Mail-in Ballot is a misnomer to everyone including myself.

The ballot is Mailed in to you, but you do NOT and are NOT obligated to return it by mail, because you have the choice and can submit your vote however And Whenever you want or feel comfortable to do so:
1) early on by returning by mail
2) going to the booth and submit it directly to the box
3) drop it anytime anywhere at one of the secured and designated containers.

This is The most convenient and safest way to vote!

I too wait until the day of to submit my ballot directly to a box or a voting booth if it is not crazy crowded.
Voting by mail implies the existence of a postal delivery system. We have one in the US, but some people allege it is underfunded, overworked and taken advantage of by Amazon and other online businesses. I personally have no gripes, except every once in awhile mail appears to get lost in transit.

Voting by mail implies the existence of a postal delivery system. We have one in the US, but some people allege it is underfunded, overworked and taken advantage of by Amazon and other online businesses. I personally have no gripes, except every once in awhile mail appears to get lost in transit.

Are you suggesting that the postal delivery system will disappears from this country at some point ?

Are you suggesting that the postal delivery system will disappears from this country at some point ?
I sure hope not. I rely on it. I pay most of my bills with an old fashioned check, envelope and stamp. I like to support what I regard as an absolutely 100% essential system, which I feel has been neglected and abused.

I was under the impression it comes with my information already filled out since they know where to send it. I think y'all are overlooking the fact if they mail my ballot to my previous address(which I can't change at the momen) someone else can take it and vote as if they were me. I've always early voted at a early voting locations.

I was under the impression it comes with my information already filled out since they know where to send it. I think y'all are overlooking the fact if they mail my ballot to my previous address(which I can't change at the momen) someone else can take it and vote as if they were me. I've always early voted at a early voting locations.

No they really can't. If you're negligent enough to leave your voter registration at an address where you do not live, and someone else obtains your ballot because you chose to do that (for some reason), and they choose to USE it instead of giving it to you, they still cannot use it because they'd have to forge your signature (which is verified) AND would have to content with the fact that you (presumably) report that you did not receive your ballot. Seriously, it's not a concern. Just update your mailing address.

It's much easier to steal a vote in non-mail-in state, where you sometimes don't even have to show ID to pretend you are someone else, and there is no signature matching.

The mail-in voting "fraud" concern is fake news.

The ballots are NOT prefilled. No way.

Just empty blank ballots.

Your situation of not able to update your address is very weird.

Here in California, your voting address is tied to your driver's license... And you can update it anytime via DMV... It shouldn't be a challenge for you to do so... I might have to read again your earlier post to understand better your situation...

The ballots are NOT prefilled. No way.

Just empty blank ballots.

Your situation of not able to update your address is very weird.

Here in California, your voting address is tied to your driver's license... And you can update it anytime via DMV... It shouldn't be a challenge for you to do so... I might have to read again your earlier post to understand better your situation...
Here, GA, to change my address on my license I need 2 bills in my name coming to my new address.
If you're negligent enough to leave your voter registration at an address where you do not live
I don't appreciate being called negligent. I've explained why I can't change my address or get my mail forwarded. I haven't left anything anywhere on purpose. I can't get in the gated subdivision anymore to check my mail at my old address. Take a guess why...
Excuse me for moving in with someone who has all the bills in her name... You don't know my situation. If you do recall I didn't exactly go through the cleanest of break up with someone recently. I didn't exactly get an opportunity to prepare to move...........
I'm doing what I can but I don't see the point in attempting to get mail sent here considering we are planning on moving in a month or so.

Last edited:
Here, GA, to change my address on my license I need 2 bills in my name coming to my new address.

I don't appreciate being called negligent. I've explained why I can't change my address or get my mail forwarded. I haven't left anything anywhere on purpose. I can't get in the gated subdivision anymore to check my mail at my old address. Take a guess why...
Excuse me for moving in with someone who has all the bills in her name... You don't know my situation. If you do recall I didn't exactly go through the cleanest of break up with someone recently. I didn't exactly get an opportunity to prepare to move...........
I'm doing what I can but I don't see the point in attempting to get mail sent here considering we are planning on moving in a month or so.

I don't think he called you negligent, he was just saying in the general sense of the term, if anyone was to be negligent...

Don't you have mail forwarding services?
The USPS offers it...

Your license is not what is used in Colorado to handle voting registration. It was in California (with no mail-in voting), but in Colorado you have more control over your voter registration. In your situation in Colorado you'd be able to get your mail-in ballot. In your situation in Georgia, it is easier to steal your vote because you don't have mail-in voting.

For example, here's a link to how to change your voter registration address in CO.

https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/FAQs/mailBallotsFAQ.html

Get a P.O. Box if you need a consistent mail location.

Edit:

Fake Noooooz

This'll be a yikes from me, dawg.

You would think that if you're going to act like the more righteous man in the race against Trump, you'd keep thoughts like this extremely well hidden.

EDIT: My bad, looks like @ryzno already has this one covered in another thread. :D

Compared to everything that trump has ever said, I don't see this as anything worse... Or maybe I am missing a key aspect.

But he does sort of have a point.... Again maybe I am totally wrong... This topic is not my forte.

Having said that... Please, can we come up with a better choice than either Biden or trump??!!

This country deserve better.... Are we going to continue to live in the past?

Having said that... Please, can we come up with a better choice than either Biden or trump??!!

This country deserve better.... Are we going to continue to live in the past?
Bernie Sanders. The plurality of Democratic voters wanted him, the DNC said no no, and now we're stuck with a demented old rapist as the nominee.

I begin to think more and more that no one truly progressive can make it far under our current two-party system.

Bernie Sanders. The plurality of Democratic voters wanted him, the DNC said no no, and now we're stuck with a demented old rapist as the nominee.

I begin to think more and more that no one truly progressive can make it far under our current two-party system.

The Corporations enjoy this corrupted system...
That's why they try to maintain this two party system...

The majority of dimwits of this country supporting this bi-partisan system are just as guilty, complacent and worse corrupted and guilty as those corporations, facilitating a country that goes no where, but in a vicious circle.

Sanders deserve more than how he has been treated for the past few decades...

Unfortunately, in the US too many people too afraid/unwilling to vote for a third party.
Rightfully so... these candidates rarely get any attention or their platform brought up to be debated. It’s rare they have any sort of history with politics within DC, or any significant funding sources.

If they can’t find a way to lead a successful campaign that doesn’t get support from the MSM, how the hell are they expected to do anything else?

I think the 2016 and 2020 election cycles have also showed that not everyone within the D and Rs are of the same opinions. There are those on both extreme ends and those who find themselves closer together than they might think, however, the candidates that get the most time, attacks, and largest base (defined as funding and followers) will always push through. We’re going to be stuck in this cycle until someone decides to say its ‘unfair’ or similar and changes are made to how funding is distributed.

In 2016, you'd have had a point. But this year, it's clear that the majority of democratic primary voters wanted Joe Biden. Bernie Sanders simply didn't have the amount of support that either Bernie, or his supports assumed he had. That's how it goes.

In 2016, you'd have had a point. But this year, it's clear that the majority of democratic primary voters wanted Joe Biden. Bernie Sanders simply didn't have the amount of support that either Bernie, or his supports assumed he had. That's how it goes.
For most of his campaign, his numbers were slightly higher than Biden. That only changed after the moderates had all consolidated and backed Biden. At that point, there was no chance for him.

For most of his campaign, his numbers were slightly higher than Biden. That only changed after the moderates had all consolidated and backed Biden. At that point, there was no chance for him.

Yeah, that's kind of the point of an election. I'm personally not thrilled that Biden ended up being the nominee and I thought there were better choices. But let's not pretend it's something it wasn't.

Rightfully so... these candidates rarely get any attention or their platform brought up to be debated. It’s rare they have any sort of history with politics within DC, or any significant funding sources.

If they can’t find a way to lead a successful campaign that doesn’t get support from the MSM, how the hell are they expected to do anything else?

Third-party candidates are never invited to debates, so they can't get their platform out there at all. They can't get interviews either unless they do something stupid or are way out there like Vermin Supreme. Your run of the mill Libertarian or Green candidate won't get an interview with CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc. no matter how hard they try.

Many of them do have a history with politics too, maybe not in DC, but most third party candidates that do run have experience at a local level. Gary Johnson, who ran as a Libertarian in 2016, was the governor of New Mexico.

The MSM covers only what they want to and what's going to attach the most ad dollars. A third-party candidate could be the best candidate ever, but the MSM won't cover them because they only want to cater to the people that hold the purse strings. It's not a knock on the media, I understand why they do it, they are in it to make money.

As far as funding goes, third parties don't get the massive amount of money from federal funds as Democrats and Republicans do. They'd need a certain percentage of the vote to access that during the next election cycle. It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy too. They can't get access to the funds, therefore they can't compete, which means they can't get the votes, which means they can't get access to the funds.

I'm always going to vote for the candidate I think is best. To me, both Democrats and Republicans are worthless and might as well be the same party. I'm never going to vote for a candidate with a D or an R next to their name. I don't know why more people don't think like this. If a Republican candidate represents you best, then by all means, vote for them. But if they don't, why would anyone waste their vote on someone that doesn't represent what they stand for?

I think the 2016 and 2020 election cycles have also showed that not everyone within the D and Rs are of the same opinions. There are those on both extreme ends and those who find themselves closer together than they might think, however, the candidates that get the most time, attacks, and largest base (defined as funding and followers) will always push through. We’re going to be stuck in this cycle until someone decides to say its ‘unfair’ or similar and changes are made to how funding is distributed.

Your first statement is on point.
How can we the population learning anything if there is purposely no or very little coverage about these new and upcoming candidates...

The Corporations knows this and so they purposely try to use the media and pressure the media to only cover the two main party bickering for us all to be distracted by the silly show...

I agree with you.

Again... Who ultimately control the DNC....
The Corporations.

They are the entities behind the curtains, pulling all the strings, telling the majority who to back up, and who to ignore....

They have all been told to ignore Bernie, because Bernie would be the Robinhood against the corporation...

The Corporations saw the danger that Bernie is to them...

Why are we siding ourselves with the Corporation$ ?

What is better for us in the long run....

In the very very long run?! Who? (Not What!)

Again... Who ultimately control the DNC....
The Corporations.

They are the entities behind the curtains, pulling all the strings, telling the majority who to back up, and who to ignore....

They have all been told to ignore Bernie, because Bernie would be the Robinhood against the corporation...

The Corporations saw the danger that Bernie is to them...

Why are we siding ourselves with the Corporation$ ?

What is better for us in the long run....

In the very very long run?! Who? (Not What!)
You have a knack for asking good questions.

I think the ugly truth is the DNC is controlled by neoliberals. They are tied to Wall Street, Hollywood, corporations and they are philosophically underpinned by capitalism/financialism whose basis is growth, perpetual growth. This IMHO is ultimately an unsustainable model for the human species on Earth. Another ugly truth is that most Americans buy into the capitalist paradigm. So Bernie gets the shaft.

In the very long run we will need a smaller, humbler, more peaceful world run along humanist lines. But in order for the paradigm to change, the current paradigm must either die of old age or be destroyed. Ironically enough, the whiff of radical change is in the air with threatened worldwide economic collapse and profound societal change.
"from the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring"
JRR Tolkien​

Back