The GTP Unofficial 2021 Canada Election Thread

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 5 comments
Simcoeace
Why not? The Un-American election. Over in 36 days start-to-finish. Just voted. Stood in line for about 3 minutes (due to Covid precautions there were only a handful of voters inside the polling location at a time). Canadian federal elections are the responsibility of a national, non-partisan agency, Elections Canada. Like in the UK, voters vote for their local candidate who represents one of the major parties. As in the UK, it is a first-past-the-post system rather than some form of proportional representation. Unlike the UK, the national dynamics behind the multiple parties seems to lead to a reasonably responsive & representational voting outcome. As in the US, there are distinct regional differences in political affiliation and rural areas vote more conservative than urban areas. Elections tend to be decided on the swing in the suburban vote ... & the ever-mercurial state of Quebec politics. The BBC explains the situation here:

I read that Trudeau's taken a hit in the polls and didn't do well in the French-language debates, dodging many questions.

In general, Trudeau's handling of the pandemic has received the approval of a majority of Canadian voters ... however, Trudeau has been plagued by a number of high-profile corruption scandals. Added to that is his decision to call a general election two years early, counting on his pandemic credentials to deliver a possible majority in parliament. Calling an early election without a pressing reason never plays well in Canadian politics. At this point it is extremely unlikely that he will win a majority & a possibility exists that he will win less seats than the Conservatives.

In general, Trudeau's handling of the pandemic has received the approval of a majority of Canadian voters ... however, Trudeau has been plagued by a number of high-profile corruption scandals. Added to that is his decision to call a general election two years early, counting on his pandemic credentials to deliver a possible majority in parliament. Calling an early election without a pressing reason never plays well in Canadian politics. At this point it is extremely unlikely that he will win a majority & a possibility exists that he will win less seats than the Conservatives.
The guy is pathetic piece of crap. He clearly stated he would not call an election during the pandemic. But of course he did. Reconciliation with natives while we find mass Graves that date back to his father's handling of Residential schools. Fresh drinking water for Natives from a country that has the most fresh water in the world. Nope missed that to. He has no understanding of economics as he stated the "budget will balance itself." Can you imagine saying to your wife ,hunny I bought a new car,don't worry about it the budget will balance itself. The absolute persona of a Trust fund kid who spends money like a drunken sailor. This guy and his Liberal party have made buying a home impossible for almost anybody. Our national debt is so out of control my great grankids are screwed. This is Liberal stupidity at its finest. I really don't hate people,but this guy is pretty close to being hated. He is a a narcissist and deserves to loose.

Calling an early election without a pressing reason never plays well in Canadian politics.
I feel like the established schedule of elections is a key component of trust in government, maybe one of the most important things honestly. Elections will happen, and politicians will come and go. Result may very, people might get pissed off, people might protest and frankly there might even be some violence, but the elections will happen at this place and at this time. In my opinion, even a global pandemic was not enough and shouldn't be enough to sway that time-honored tradition, nigh scientific fact it's been repeated so many times.

So who is this Jagmeet Singh guy?

Back