The Homosexuality Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Duke
  • 9,138 comments

I think homosexuality is:

• a problem that needs to be cured.

Votes: 88 6.0%
  • a sin against God/Nature.

Votes: 145 9.8%
  • OK as long as they don't talk about it.

Votes: 62 4.2%
  • OK for anybody.

Votes: 416 28.2%
  • nobody's business but the people involved.

Votes: 765 51.8%

• Total voters
So then why doesn't heterosexual marriage lead to incestuous marriage and polygamy?

Because heterosexual marriage isn't banned basically for being against the norm. It is the norm. If one of the arguments for allowing gay marriage is that the government shouldn't get in the way of a contract between two consenting adults, why does it only apply to gay marriage?

So you guys approve of a 18 year son having sex with his widowed mother to have kids? That's just sickening. Why would you want to do such a embodiment thing?

Because heterosexual marriage isn't banned basically for being against the norm. It is the norm. If one of the arguments for allowing gay marriage is that the government shouldn't get in the way of a contract between two consenting adults, why does it only apply to gay marriage?

Makes sense, but still seems a little bit weird to me.

So you guys approve of a 18 year son having sex with his widowed mother to have kids? That's just sickening. Why would you want to do such a embodiment thing?

Uhm, as far as I'm aware no one has said any such thing. I, and others, have said that we don't really care about incest so long as no children are born from it.

Did you actually read the posts?

I don't really know why I'm asking since it's evident.

Because heterosexual marriage isn't banned basically for being against the norm. It is the norm.
Arranged marriages used to be the norm in many societies, and still is in some today, so just arguing for them to allow spousal choice would be a slippery slope toward incest, polygamy, and homosexual marriage.

And that's why I want government out of marriage regulation altogether. If they can say who you marry in anyway it leaves an argument for them stopping any marriage for some societal benefit argument.

So you guys approve of a 18 year son having sex with his widowed mother to have kids? That's just sickening.
Not wanting to regulate something is not the same as condoning it.

This argument is no different than asking every Judeo-Christian if they approve of sacrificially slaughtering their son, killing a man for refusing to marry and impregnate his brother's widow, or banishing a man until the evening, after he bathes, for eati g bacon.

That said, I do know the theme song to Taboo II (Google at your own risk).

Maybe we should have a separate marriage thread, to discuss all the kinds of marriage..

Hetero, gay, polygamy, incestuous, arranged etc. etc.

Last edited:
So you believe everybody can do what they want? You know that's not possible in this world, maybe in imagination world but sure not in this world. So you don't agree with it but you approve of people doing it? What sense does that make?

This world disgust me, I can't believe defile behavior is acceptable these days.

So you believe everybody can do what they want? You know that's not possible in this world, maybe in imagination world but sure not in this world. So you don't agree with it but you approve of people doing it? What sense does that make?

This world disgust me, I can't believe defile behavior is acceptable these days.

Anyone should be able to do whatever they like so long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. It's quite easy to understand.

So you believe everybody can do what they want?
That's not what he said at all.
So you don't agree with it but you approve of people doing it? What sense does that make?
Nor is that.

If you're going to participate it would behove you to actually read the posts rather than typing "So" and reinterpreting them according to a skim read so you can attack them.

Anyone should be able to do whatever they like so long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. It's quite easy to understand.

Essentially this.^ However I would like to have my own wording too.

I don't care what people do, they can do whatever they want so long as no harm is brought to others as a result. Two (or more) consenting adults doing what makes them happy is perfectly fine by me even if it's something I wouldn't do or find disgusting so long as it isn't of detriment to anyone.

Unlike you, I don't seek to impose how I live on others as though it is the only way to live (that is implied by what you are saying, if that's not your stance then feel free to say so).

So you believe everybody can do what they want?
So long as it doesn't affect others against their will. Consenting adults can do whatever they want with each other, but that doesn't mean I think they should.

So you don't agree with it but you approve of people doing it? What sense does that make?
I'm actually a very opinionated, judgemental ass, according to my wife. But I do not believe my moral judgements should be pushed on others through force of law.

What's worse; wanting the government to use their, money, guns, and prisons to enforce your own personal views on other or being in love with more than one woman/being romantically involved with a family member?

Equating something and something being the logical extension of the other are two different things. But since you made the link, I'll ask the question. What is the rationale for not allowing two, related by blood and consenting adults, to marry?

Actually, I didn't make the link. Nice try. ;)

And, c'mon. Same-sex marriage and inbreeding are not the same thing. Do you really need me to tell you why inbreeding is bad? Just stop it. The slippery slope argument is lazy and outdated. It is as unjustified now as it was when it was used to combat interracial marriage.

Think of it this way, when you argue the slippery slope, you aren't even discussing the pro's and con's of same-sex marriage. You are arguing policy and comparing apples and oranges.

Just stop it.

Same-sex marriage is not the same as incest. It's not the same as polygamy. It is not coercion. It is a loving, hopefully life-long relationship between two consenting adults of the same sex.

Actually, I didn't make the link. Nice try. ;)

And, c'mon. Same-sex marriage and inbreeding are not the same thing. Do you really need me to tell you why inbreeding is bad? Just stop it. The slippery slope argument is lazy and outdated. It is as unjustified now as it was when it was used to combat interracial marriage.

Think of it this way, when you argue the slippery slope, you aren't even discussing the pro's and con's of same-sex marriage. You are arguing policy and comparing apples and oranges.

Just stop it.

Same-sex marriage is not the same as incest. It's not the same as polygamy. It is not coercion. It is a loving, hopefully life-long relationship between two consenting adults of the same sex.

I said marriage, I didn't say anything about breeding nor did I say anything about a slippery slope. I'm in favour of gay marriage, it's been a ho-hum, big yawn, who cares fact of life for 10 years where I live. I don't see any pros or cons for gay marriage outside of the usual pros and cons for marriage in general. It had about as much effect on society in these here parts as a new law about bicycle helmets. Even the
C(c)onservatives didn't make much of a stink it makes so much sense. We've had a Conservative Federal government for many years in here and the issue has never come up since it was passed federally about 7 or 8 years ago.

In the immortal words of Bones McCoy, "the man's talkin' about logic". The argument for gay marriage is generally, "two consenting adults, they aren't hurting anyone, butt out of their business". I agree, and everyone I know agrees.

My point is, the same logic applies to polygamy and incest. The only legitimate logical reason to deny incestual relationships is the higher likelihood of birth defects. 100 years ago that was a problem. In this day and age, we can scan early for birth defects and elective abortions are legal, at least where I come from. Or maybe you can't procreate for medical reasons or because you are the same sex. Maybe your tubes are tied. Point is, there is no logical reason to deny an incestual marriage between consenting adults. Same goes for polygamy. So long as all the legal loose ends concerning child and spousal support can be worked out, I see no reason to deny polygamous marriages either. If you have any logical reason

It's not a slippery slope, it's the logical extension of the gay marriage argument. In my mind, to be in favour of gay marriage but against incestual and polyamourous relationships is hypocritical. Logic that applies to one group applies to everyone.

So yes, I need you to tell me why incestual and polygamous marriages are bad, to answer your question. Please explain how the logic that is used to prove gay marriage makes a whole lot of sense, and that I happen to agree with, somehow doesn't apply to every single form of relationship there is.

(Note: this is not addressed to Johnnypenso; I'm in complete agreement with him.[/b])

So if we're going to not allow people to get married because of the increased chance of birth defects, then clearly every couple of child-bearing age needs to be genetically screened, right? And if one or more members of the union are unable to reproduce then the people objecting would go along with it in this case, right?

(somehow I don't think so)

I said marriage, I didn't say anything about breeding nor did I say anything about a slippery slope. I'm in favour of gay marriage, it's been a ho-hum, big yawn, who cares fact of life for 10 years where I live. I don't see any pros or cons for gay marriage outside of the usual pros and cons for marriage in general. It had about as much effect on society in these here parts as a new law about bicycle helmets. Even the
C(c)onservatives didn't make much of a stink it makes so much sense. We've had a Conservative Federal government for many years in here and the issue has never come up since it was passed federally about 7 or 8 years ago.

In the immortal words of Bones McCoy, "the man's talkin' about logic". The argument for gay marriage is generally, "two consenting adults, they aren't hurting anyone, butt out of their business". I agree, and everyone I know agrees.

My point is, the same logic applies to polygamy and incest. The only legitimate logical reason to deny incestual relationships is the higher likelihood of birth defects. 100 years ago that was a problem. In this day and age, we can scan early for birth defects and elective abortions are legal, at least where I come from. Or maybe you can't procreate for medical reasons or because you are the same sex. Maybe your tubes are tied. Point is, there is no logical reason to deny an incestual marriage between consenting adults. Same goes for polygamy. So long as all the legal loose ends concerning child and spousal support can be worked out, I see no reason to deny polygamous marriages either. If you have any logical reason

It's not a slippery slope, it's the logical extension of the gay marriage argument. In my mind, to be in favour of gay marriage but against incestual and polyamourous relationships is hypocritical. Logic that applies to one group applies to everyone.

So yes, I need you to tell me why incestual and polygamous marriages are bad, to answer your question. Please explain how the logic that is used to prove gay marriage makes a whole lot of sense, and that I happen to agree with, somehow doesn't apply to every single form of relationship there is.

TL;DR - You think same-sex marriage is fine. That is the topic of this thread (or at least the issue of the moment in the Homosexuality thread).

That's good enough for me. :)

I'm in favour of gay marriage, it's been a ho-hum, big yawn, who cares fact of life for 10 years where I live.

Literally can not stress this enough. Some day the US will get there, and people will look back on these "debates" as a colossal waste of everyone's time. The whole "marriage vs civil union" argument is just a red herring to make it look like the anti-gay marriage lobby are the ones being oppressed.

(language warning) http://www.theonion.com/articles/supreme-court-on-gay-marriage-sure-who-cares,31812/?ref=auto

The Onion gets it right.

Last edited:
Humans create rules now, what ever happened to God? Why do athiest have to exist? Why do people get to have opinions?

Humans create rules now, what ever happened to God?

Not that this is particularly the thread for that...

Why do athiest have to exist?

Why do religion have to exist?

Why do people get to have opinions?

I dunno. Free will?

But no, you're totally right. Man taking precedence over a being who may or may not exist is an outrage. I'm so grateful he or she may or may not have handcrafted your computer so you can tell us that.

Humans create rules now, what ever happened to God? Why do athiest have to exist? Why do people get to have opinions?

"We the people of the United States..."

Your entire nation is founded on this concept.

Humans create rules now,

Yes. We do it so we can live together (relatively) peacefully.

what ever happened to God?

We outgrew the need for one. But this isn't the right thread for this anyway.

Why do athiest have to exist?

I don't know, how dare they! (sarcasm)

Why do people get to have opinions?

I believe you meant to say "why do people get to have their own opinion rather than being forced to believe exactly as I do?"

I'm starting to think you're trolling, honestly.

Because I want to, not because I can but because I want to.

Why do people think they can say things just because they want to?

See, I can ask things that are incredibly silly too.

Sorry for a late reply due to Easter, and that I was spending my holidays in a place where there is no internet access.

So you feel its OK to limit the rights of a group based on what part of it may or may not have said?

Once again, limiting marriage to just man-woman unions doesn't limit any rights. Similarly, if a gay man is not allowed to marry another man, a straight man can't either - it doesn't de jure trample on gays' rights. On individual level, where legal issues about rights of the people are often looked at, the marriage is as accessible to anyone (law is blind, so to say).

Also, European Court of Human Rights has ruled that gay marriage is not a human right: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...human-right-according-to-European-ruling.html

Citation required.

Giving monetary incentives meant for mothers of the newborn to gay couples is _not_ pouring money to something useless?

Appeal to tradition and a rather poor one, given that its already been clearly demonstrated that the definition has been changed out of all context over the years, and not just the distant past.

For the record Finland last changed its marriage laws in the 1970's, which is a long way from literally forever.

Comparing making foreign marriages enjoy the same legal status as domestic marriages is pretty small a change. True, there have been changes, like allowing non-Christian marriage 100 years ago, allowing the women to keep their maiden name etc.

Ahh I see, so as long as there are less of them that us its OK to not allow them the same rights?

So I am not allowed to my opinion, huh?

Where? Should we go back to living in tribes because the last 5,000 years has unturned the relative consistency of the previous 50,000 years?

Again someone who doesn't understand the point of conservatism. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, not "don't change it at all". Slow, controlled change is the key.

Okay. Take away all incentives that couples without children recieve.

That would be the best option.

I forgot, you live in one of those rare countries where the birth rate being too low is a problem. That said, how much money do you have to give them to make having a kid worth it? I mean, 18 years and thousands to millions of dollars later, none of our tax credits come close to being a gain. But do keep in mind that in other countries marriage and kids and handouts to them are not to try keeping the birth rate up. Most need lower both rates.

You're right, but the whole Continental Europe suffers from low birth rates and some countries (like Germany) even from population decline. It's really bad for the political influence of the EU that it's getting weaker just because the population is on decline.

You guys are so romantic in Finland. Makes me wonder about all those romance songs about Finland. Oh right.

I know. It's somehow in the culture here that men and boys aren't "allowed" to express emotions strongly, especially not those which could be seen as signals of weakness of some sort (even pretty far-fetched).

Now, come to America and tell almost any woman marriage is just about raising kids and love doesn't need marriage and you will find your relationships last only as long as the alcohol in her blood.

Well, maybe I exaggerated that a bit, of course we plan on getting married at some point, but I know a lot of people who are "practically married", to the point that our government made new laws regarding "open marriage" (or how should I translate it) that gives partial inheritance rights and such to people who have lived together for a long time.
I have to give in a bit, I see that gays may want to show their love in a will to get married as a commitement to each other similarly as heterosexual people want. I know, I cut the corners big time.

Or you think like a teenager and think you are near invincible.

Well, I'm only 21.

Setting aside past claims, by likely different supporters than you have today, why shouldn't they be allowed to adopt? If you have kids in need of a home and not enough good heterosexual homes then why not homosexual couples?

Is there really lack of people willing to adopt children in the US? Here the queues are years long, mainly composed of couples in their 40's who've realised they want to have children at an age too late or are infertile.

In a nation that has to socialize bribing people to have kids why wouldn't you support polygamy. One guy being able to produce five legitimate kids at once sounds like a good way to help boost the population.

That's a point, but I bet a lot of people would be against creating such a harem. Also, I couldn't picture anyone loving five woman at the same time. Really, that's absurd. :D

I would probably be pretty indifferent about the whole issue, first when I heard about the concept of gay marriage I was pretty sceptic, but having given it some thought I saw it was none of my problem, be it legalised or not. Anyway, having seen the hostile and rude behaviour of its supporters towards all conservatives (to which I myself strongly identify), I just cannot identify myself to such people who support it. This is pretty much seen in one incident in a pub I encountered: there was a small group of people, some of whom I knew (well enough) debating about gay marriage. I thought that because I haven't got strong opinion about it so I don't join them in the debate. They started getting more loud, and then someone started insulting conservatives and conservative values (liberal socialist bogus, nazi card and such). That guy just insulted like a half of the people there, those whom he just had insulted as an argument for gay marriage. I just couldn't help but that argument just cost him all my respect towards him (as was the case between a lot of people and him too). My primary reaction to that was just "WHAT did you just say, ****ing commie?", or such (anyway, you got the point I hope). Making people have such reactions doesn't do well in trying to convince people for the cause. I know a lot of people who would support gay marriage, or at least have nothing against it, but seeing such behaviour by some of the supporters doesn't really make the others (ie. moderate conservatives) support it.

I hope you see my point why I wondered that is gay marriage some people's war against conservatives.

Last edited:
Once again, limiting marriage to just man-woman unions doesn't limit any rights. Similarly, if a gay man is not allowed to marry another man, a straight man can't either - it doesn't de jure trample on gays' rights. On individual level, where legal issues about rights of the people are often looked at, the marriage is as accessible to anyone (law is blind, so to say).
Yes it does, it limits the right of same sex couple who wish to marry.

Also, European Court of Human Rights has ruled that gay marriage is not a human right: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...human-right-according-to-European-ruling.html
Because the European Court of Human Rights is an infallible organisation which has never got it wrong. However the irony of a conservative using the European Court of Human Rights to support a point is not lost on me.

Giving monetary incentives meant for mothers of the newborn to gay couples is _not_ pouring money to something useless?
That's not a citation, that's simply another un-sourced sound-bite.

Comparing making foreign marriages enjoy the same legal status as domestic marriages is pretty small a change. True, there have been changes, like allowing non-Christian marriage 100 years ago, allowing the women to keep their maiden name etc.
So now your moving the goal posts, your 'distant past' argument is simply invalid as your own country (and countless others) have repeatedly re-defined marriage.

That you don't like this redefinition is more the issue, as you don't seem to have an issue with these previous ones (why are you not calling for them to be reversed if its so sacred and should not be messed with).

So I am not allowed to my opinion, huh?
At what point did I say that?

You can hold whatever opinion on a topic you like, its taking it to the stage of then limiting the rights of others that's the issue.

I also asked what you thought was the best way to raise kids and why.

Again someone who doesn't understand the point of conservatism. Don't fix it if it ain't broke, not "don't change it at all". Slow, controlled change is the key.

That's different from "change often leads to instability". It does not seem that way at all. Especially with the last marriage "issue" (interracial).

What's so radical about gay marriage that it's an unacceptable change anyway? Two people getting married. Not exactly a big deal.

I'd also say things are broken when they include arbitrary rules that exclude many.

That's not a citation, that's simply another un-sourced sound-bite.

Sure your logic says that handing out money to something of no to very little social value is useless when there are a thousand other causes it could be used better for. Or prove me wrong, at least I reasoned my opinion there.

I also asked what you thought was the best way to raise kids and why.

Well, I think the ideal environment for children is a home of a loving mother and father (that the children see a good example of both a man and a woman, not that an example of an individual of the other gender is left for some other people to show) who've got enough money to take care of their children well enough.

That's different from "change often leads to instability". It does not seem that way at all. Especially with the last marriage "issue" (interracial).

Change often is just uncontrolled, which may cause problems. Of course there is no such thing as a completely controlled change, but it's something to strive for.

What's so radical about gay marriage that it's an unacceptable change anyway? Two people getting married. Not exactly a big deal.

I'd also say things are broken when they include arbitrary rules that exclude many.

Maybe, maybe. If you read that wall of text I wrote in my previous post you might understand my stance better.

Last edited:
Back