The "hood view" thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter fredyellowone
  • 36 comments
  • 3,447 views
Messages
387
Canada
Alma/Quebec
Messages
fredyellowone
So, like I told numerous times on here before, I decided for the first time NOT to purchase a GT title at launch. However, my brother decided otherwise, and he bought me the game anyway.

(...!)

Well, now on the main topic.

It seems that some cars in GT6 are having a real proper Hood view. No kidding! I just found one.

If you find any more, let me know.

(No idea why some cars would feature this, while others are left plagued with the infamous "roof" view. Anyway...)

1- Renault Sport Megane R.S. Trophy '11
2- BMW Z8 '01
3- KTM X-BOW Street '12
4- Jaguar XKR coupe '10
5- Mazda RX-7 LM Race Car
6- BRZ GT300
7- Nissan Skyline GTR R32 Touring Car
8- Toyota 2000GT
9- Alpine 1600S
 
Last edited:
well, i know the scion frs does. I havent really come across a car that had the "roof view", but i dont really do the hood view, so i dont really know.
 
well, i know the scion frs does. I havent really come across a car that had the "roof view", but i dont really do the hood view, so i dont really know.

Roof view : 99,9% of the cars in GT6.

A proper Hood view is easy to spot. The Hood must cover ALL the bottom of your tv screen.

Take a look at this example :

Pontiac Firebird Trans Am '78 (Roof View)
vs
Renault Sport Megane R.S Trophy '11 (Hood View)

You will understand.
 
The aston matin one 77 has quite a nice hood view. So does the vision gt.
Its nice that they seem to be bringing the hoodview back, because that roofview really is a terrible idea.

well, i know the scion frs does. I havent really come across a car that had the "roof view", but i dont really do the hood view, so i dont really know.

If you want to see roofview at its best, try the ferrari 458.
That view is the absolute worst i have ever tried. Completely useless.
 
If you want to see roofview at its best, try the ferrari 458.
That view is the absolute worst i have ever tried. Completely useless.

I agree. The same thought went through my mind when I used the 458 in the one make race yesterday.
 
So, like I told numerous times on here before, I decided for the first time NOT to purchase a GT title at launch. However, my brother decided otherwise, and he bought me the game anyway.

(...!)

Well, now on the main topic.

It seems that some cars in GT6 are having a real proper Hood view. No kidding! I just found one.

If you find any more, let me know.

(No idea why some cars would feature this, while others are left plagued with the infamous "roof" view. Anyway...)

1- Renault Sport Megane R.S. Trophy '11
2- BMW Z8 '01
3- KTM X-BOW Street '12
4- Jaguar XKR coupe '10

There is NO Hood/Bonnet view drivable in this game. Every car you think has one doesn't. It IS a roof view. You can see a hood/bonnet view in a replay. I wish it was selectable as a drivable view.
 
in GT5 the Nissan Silvia had a hood view. But now in GT6 it has a roof view and its bothering me a lot.

used to be my favorite drift car and now i cant stand it.
 
Last edited:
There is NO Hood/Bonnet view drivable in this game. Every car you think has one doesn't. It IS a roof view. You can see a hood/bonnet view in a replay. I wish it was selectable as a drivable view.
A proper windshield/windscreen driving view has long been the "missing link" for me. If only the driving view were that of a dead bug in the dead center of the windshield (with a generic rear-view mirror similar to the bumper cam).
 
There is NO Hood/Bonnet view drivable in this game. Every car you think has one doesn't. It IS a roof view. You can see a hood/bonnet view in a replay. I wish it was selectable as a drivable view.

You sure about that? Can you check out the Renault Sport Megane R.S. Trophy '11 for me? Looks a lot like a real bonnet/hood view.
 
I just looked at the replay options. There is 9 different camera angles. 2 of them are "the hood view" and the "roof view".
The "roof view" is the most awful camera angle I ever watched (can't use it in play); while the "hood view" is nothing short of a total failure. Why o why can't PD figure out how to do a proper bonnet/hood view is beyond me. Because, you know, that view is featured almost on every other racing game : including GTA V and EA shift.
 
The standard Mazda RX-7 LM Race Car (or is it called LM Touring Car now?) definitely has a hood view. It is quite lovely.

You can do experiments by using the height of a fixed object like a guardrail. The top edge of the guardrail will be at different heights along the side of your tv screen depending on the actual height of the viewpoint. Cars with the 'normal', terrible roof-view will have you racing from overtop most guardrails, while cars with the magical, rarified hood-view will be closer to the ground- at similar heights to cockpit view.
 
Update : so far I found only 5 cars with a real proper bonnet/hood view. Some other cars are close, but the cam is too high, and the hood is NOT covering all the bottom of the screen. So, I can't count those as cars with a proper hood view.

If you find more, let me know.
 
I have had to settle for the bumper cam. I hate the frame rate penalty for in car. I would use hood cam which is my fav to use with a wheel accept that for some very odd reason GT is about the only freaking racing sim that does not have it. That is at the top of my wish list for improvements.
 
If I may age myself for a moment: I grew up playing NASCAR Racing by Papyrus and its sequels for the PC, and my favorite view was always the one from the roof cam, where you saw a strip at the edge of the roof seam, and then the nose of the car in the center of the screen. I always liked it because it was the bridge between the arcade-like third person view, and the claustrophobia inducing cockpit view.

When I started playing GT on PSX, I was happy to see a roof cam option. I had no idea it was supposed to be a bonnet cam. I preferred it because it was what I was used to. Now, when I drive some of the cars with the "bonnet cam" (X-Bow, RX-7 LM, one of the Jags) it feels awkward, because it's too close to bumper cam.

tl;dr I prefer the Roof Cam.
 
If I may age myself for a moment: I grew up playing NASCAR Racing by Papyrus and its sequels for the PC, and my favorite view was always the one from the roof cam, where you saw a strip at the edge of the roof seam, and then the nose of the car in the center of the screen. I always liked it because it was the bridge between the arcade-like third person view, and the claustrophobia inducing cockpit view.

When I started playing GT on PSX, I was happy to see a roof cam option. I had no idea it was supposed to be a bonnet cam. I preferred it because it was what I was used to. Now, when I drive some of the cars with the "bonnet cam" (X-Bow, RX-7 LM, one of the Jags) it feels awkward, because it's too close to bumper cam.

tl;dr I prefer the Roof Cam.

I hate the roof view. But I don't mind that it's there, for people like you to enjoy. What I don't understand is why there is no proper bonnet/Hood view, since it would take only a day of work at PD headquarters to do it. That freaking view is everywhere EXCEPT in GT dammit!
 
Dat Honda Odyssey has a good hood view I believe. Its extremely massive 2.4 L engine pumps out an incredible 170hp completely dwarfs the bottom screen and some. It is incredibly loud to drive as the enormous Inline 4 engine roars with each rev. :P
 
Dat Honda Odyssey has a good hood view I believe. Its extremely massive 2.4 L engine pumps out an incredible 170hp completely dwarfs the bottom screen and some. It is incredibly loud to drive as the enormous Inline 4 engine roars with each rev. :p
I've worked on about 500 odessey's , i fix transmissions, and they dont have 4cylinders, they have v6's
 
I've worked on about 500 odessey's , i fix transmissions, and they dont have 4cylinders, they have v6's

NA models are v6, International models are inline 4s, apparently when you make a car for us in the states, we demand bigger engines all the time haha.
 
McLaren F1 GTR Race Car Base model 95. Confirmed bonnet view by replay check.
 
I just did some seasonal with the Ferrari 455 if I remember correctly.
Worst view I ever had. That car is completly unusable.
 
Tell me, has the McLaren SLR been fixed? In GT5, I almost felt sick driving that car. The hood view was screwed up, the chase camera was way too high, the bumper view I don't like, and the cockpit view was too small for me to see completely out of.
 
Tell me, has the McLaren SLR been fixed? In GT5, I almost felt sick driving that car. The hood view was screwed up, the chase camera was way too high, the bumper view I don't like, and the cockpit view was too small for me to see completely out of.

CallmeDan, I will have to actually buy that car to tell you. I don't know the cost of it, but if it's less than 200 K, I will do it and tell you. (I'm greedy, I know. It's all because i'm saving money to get that pricey Lambo)
 
That being said, I wish I had more people behind me on that topic. I'm trying to defend a proper bonnet/Hood view here since the days of GT4. But no-one seems to care. It's not cool because that view should be in the game. It's everywhere. Even SF Rush had it back in the days.

And it's not like it would be hard work.

Changing the position of a camera on a subject inside a software takes minutes. Nothing is easier than that.

Now, I hope you guys understand why I keep saying that Kaz don't give a **** about us.

EDIT : now, if I may : Jordan... I would really appreciate if you could use your contacts to ask why the hell Kaz never got that feature done. Never anyone asked Kaz about this.

Why?

I think it's an important question.
 
I don't mind the narrow front end on cars with "roof" view but the height of the camera angle really slows down the sensation of speed (not to mention, it feels like a cheat since you can see much further ahead... I also think it distorts your depth perception and invites you to dive bomb other cars more). In GT5 I always liked the few cars with hood view but they felt harder to control at the limit, partially from being too used to roof view...

Some other cars that I've been driving with a nice camera perspective (no higher than Armco):
Rocket
787B (at least it did in GT5)
R89C (think it did in GT5)
Fit RS (first car I took around the 'Ring in GT6, those barriers sure looked bigger and closer ;)

EDIT (another car):
Amemiya Asparadrink RX7 '06 (very nice width and easy to drive)

One thing that bugs me a lot in GT5 and GT6 is the karts, if you want to see the front wheels you also have to put up with the steering wheel on the screen (not cool when I'm already using a G27). Or it basically looks like bumper cam with no reference for width.
 
Last edited:
Honda NSX GT500 Base Model '08. Confirmed bonnet view by replay check.
 
If I may age myself for a moment: I grew up playing NASCAR Racing by Papyrus and its sequels for the PC, and my favorite view was always the one from the roof cam, where you saw a strip at the edge of the roof seam, and then the nose of the car in the center of the screen. I always liked it because it was the bridge between the arcade-like third person view, and the claustrophobia inducing cockpit view.

When I started playing GT on PSX, I was happy to see a roof cam option. I had no idea it was supposed to be a bonnet cam. I preferred it because it was what I was used to. Now, when I drive some of the cars with the "bonnet cam" (X-Bow, RX-7 LM, one of the Jags) it feels awkward, because it's too close to bumper cam.
What he said. Hood view is little more than Bumper Cam II, and I don't like it.

The racing views should ALL be adjustable, like this, so everyone can have a satisfactory racing experience.
  • Position: Bumper, Interior (seating dependent), Roof, Chase
  • Location: (six axis) Forward/Aft, Left/Right, Up/Down, in centimeters
  • Aim, in degrees
  • Field of View, in percent deviation from norm, plus/minus
  • Fixed/Sway amount
  • Camera Shake amount, including locked to Car Shake
  • Car Shake amount
So let's begin with Bumper Cam. Move up 30 centimeters. Move back 70 centimeters. Aim down 10 degrees. Field of View default. Fixed to car. Camera Shake 5. Car Shake 15. Go race with your chin just above the hood. ;)
 
A proper windshield/windscreen driving view has long been the "missing link" for me. If only the driving view were that of a dead bug in the dead center of the windshield (with a generic rear-view mirror similar to the bumper cam).

Well, "bumper cam" is positioned at the center of the windshield - not at the bumper.
 
Back